Wild Card Thread

Darkside

According to the Weekly World News, the world's oil supply will run out by the end of the year.  :thumbsup:

They said it would run out in the 70's. It didn't.

On the other hand, judging by how the prices have risen in the last ten years (around $2 here), to the twenty or so years before that (around $0.80), someone is really scared it is running out, if in fact it isn't.

Depends on length. And whether you need to attend any interviews in the meantime.

Just below shoulder length. I might have some interviews coming up it being my last year at uni and all... hmm... that reminds me...

Another completely random point... my dissertation is going to require many participants to fill in some psychometric tests... would any forum members mind participating? Bear in mind, this would probably happen just before the end of Michelmas term

DL

P.S. I wouldn't ask but we always seem to have a lack of male participants (perhaps because there seems to be more girls at uni)

I need to go to DL's uni, also, I am game for these 'tests' assuming US citizens are allowed.

Just below shoulder length. I might have some interviews coming up it being my last year at uni and all... hmm... that reminds me...

Another completely random point... my dissertation is going to require many participants to fill in some psychometric tests... would any forum members mind participating? Bear in mind, this would probably happen just before the end of Michelmas term

DL

P.S. I wouldn't ask but we always seem to have a lack of male participants (perhaps because there seems to be more girls at uni)

I would dye that back to whatever colour you fancy (difficult with black, I warrant you, but at least you can never look as silly as a blonde trying to be black! ;) )

You certainly shouldn't have any lack of males to volunteer around here. Does the socio-economic skew factor have to be balanced in the data sample (obviously the people who have a computer and participate on an RPG forum are not going to be your average bears in the woods).

What sort of psychometric testing ... (Funny, the resident psychologist for Big Brother said that they were unable to what the tv show was doing for entertainment in the name of academic research ... :thumbsup:")

OBSCVRVM PER OBSCVRIVS ET IGNOTVM PER IGNOTIVS

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

I'm bias though. I like the Mets. It won't be easy though since the NL East is very tough.

The Yanks, on the other hand, will win the WC in the AL relatively easy as they are just too stack NOT to make the play-offs.

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

Eru What gas station are you hitting? I've got three bucks down the hill!

Sorry, typo, I meant the price jump.

It is around $2.69 here if you're lucky.

What I mean to write is it jumped about eighty cents in twenty years, and around two dollars in th last ten.

If we really have reached peak oil and we don't have alternate energy in place by the time it completely dries up, things are gonna get really ugly.

I find it incredibly odd that us americans complain about gas prices when the other countrys have incredibly higher prices per leiter... In the 60's in finland it was about $3 per leiter... IN THE FREAKING SIXTIES!

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

Seriously though, do you know how bad it will be if oil runs out.

All economies except for agrarian cultures will be crippled! Agrarian cultures that have been modernized (the US, most other non-third world countries) will also not be putting out any food anymore.

Food shortages will cause people to die, lots of them.

Places like China will probably be hit the hardest, because not only will the surplus population die off, but there will be plague because of how densely packed they all are.

Because petroleum based plastics are so damn lucrative we won't have those anymore.

Say bye-bye to lots of medical tech.

You certainly shouldn't have any lack of males to volunteer around here. Does the socio-economic skew factor have to be balanced in the data sample (obviously the people who have a computer and participate on an RPG forum are not going to be your average bears in the woods).

What sort of psychometric testing ... (Funny, the resident psychologist for Big Brother said that they were unable to what the tv show was doing for entertainment in the name of academic research ... ;)")

The socio-economic skew factor isn't essential since the main difference we're testing is between male and female participants.

The tests (at the moment) are looking at aggression and impulsivity... but they are subject to change... :-"

DL

P.S. Sure you can participate SoE... we're going to need a big sample size so the more the better :thumbsup:

[color=gray][i]OO-TINI![/i][/color]

All economies except for agrarian cultures will be crippled!  Agrarian cultures that have been modernized (the US, most other non-third world countries) will also not be putting out any food anymore. 

Places like China will probably be hit the hardest, because not only will the surplus population die off, but there will be plague because of how densely packed they all are. 

Because petroleum based plastics are so damn lucrative we won't have those anymore. 

The Amish are going to laugh in our faces. :">

All economies except for agrarian cultures will be crippled!  Agrarian cultures that have been modernized (the US, most other non-third world countries) will also not be putting out any food anymore. 

The Amish are going to laugh in our faces. :">

I resisted saying that the Amish would come out on top in the original post.

Actually, if things get all that bad, the Amish will get killed off for what they do have by hordes of hungry people.

If anyone crashes the censor, I'm putting them on modersated status for the next two weeks. Then I'm laughing at them.

Fionavar's Holliday Wishes to all members of our online community:  Happy Holidays

Join the revelry at the Obsidian Plays channel:
Obsidian Plays

Remembering tarna, Phosphor, Metadigital, and Visceris.  Drink mead heartily in the halls of Valhalla, my friends!

Geez, I only left for an hour. I've should have guessed a spam thread would be popular.

The best part is, you can't spam it! Muahaha!

On second thought, I withdraw that comment. If I say that, someone will find a way just for the heck of it.

sig2.gif

The thread makes me shudder. Ah well, I'll try to delete individual posts rather than close the thread if it comes to that.

Fionavar's Holliday Wishes to all members of our online community:  Happy Holidays

Join the revelry at the Obsidian Plays channel:
Obsidian Plays

Remembering tarna, Phosphor, Metadigital, and Visceris.  Drink mead heartily in the halls of Valhalla, my friends!

The socio-economic skew factor isn't essential since the main difference we're testing is between male and female participants.

The tests (at the moment) are looking at aggression and impulsivity... but they are subject to change...  :blink:"

I think that all factors could have a correlation. ;)

OBSCVRVM PER OBSCVRIVS ET IGNOTVM PER IGNOTIVS

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

By the way, how would one go about crashing the censor? Not that I would do it or anything...

Lou Gutman, P.I.- It's like I'm not even trying anymore!
http://theatomicdanger.iforumer.com/index....theatomicdanger

One billion b-balls dribbling simultaneously throughout the galaxy. One trillion b-balls being slam dunked through a hoop throughout the galaxy. I can feel every single b-ball that has ever existed at my fingertips. I can feel their collective knowledge channeling through my viens. Every jumpshot, every rebound and three-pointer, every layup, dunk, and free throw. I am there.

The tests (at the moment) are looking at aggression and impulsivity... but they are subject to change...  :blink:"

I think that all factors could have a correlation. ;)

Does that mean I can count you in as a participant Mr. Metadigital? ;)

DL

[color=gray][i]OO-TINI![/i][/color]

Lou Gutman, P.I.- It's like I'm not even trying anymore!
http://theatomicdanger.iforumer.com/index....theatomicdanger

One billion b-balls dribbling simultaneously throughout the galaxy. One trillion b-balls being slam dunked through a hoop throughout the galaxy. I can feel every single b-ball that has ever existed at my fingertips. I can feel their collective knowledge channeling through my viens. Every jumpshot, every rebound and three-pointer, every layup, dunk, and free throw. I am there.