Harddrive goes clikclickclick!

Kaftan Barlast

After just one year my Maxtor 200gb has begun to make clicky noises at odd times. Most of what Ive read about this is that its a sign that it will cave in soon so Im hurrying to get all the stuff to my other HD which unfortunantly is only 160gig so Im going to have to leave stuff behind :(

Its already getting slower, It takes 5min to copy a gig of data from it.

But the strange thing is that when it first went click 2 days ago, I discovered the IDE cable was a bit loose so I put that back and then it stopped. Coincidence?

p.s

Im sure glad that I didnt go for RAID, then Id be f*cked

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

I used to just kick my old comp when it made strange noices, but I'd rather not do it with my new one. o:)

PS. I just released a bird that got itself trapped in the house, I had it in my hands and it looked like it was gonna get a heart attack. :(

DENMARK!

It appears that I have not yet found a sig to replace the one about me not being banned... interesting.

Ive had one HD crash before and its the worst thing that can break. Its sort of like if your house would burn down and take all your stuff with it..

and it sucks to go from having 360gig of space to 160 :(

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

If you would hold me in your hands I would probably get a heart attack.  o:)

:lol: Is that a proposal? :">

I have the same harddisk myself Kaftan, only just got it a month ago or so. :(

DENMARK!

It appears that I have not yet found a sig to replace the one about me not being banned... interesting.

Ive got another old 100gig disk but that one is chock full of increadibly useful stuff like Transformers, Farscape and Battlestar Galactica :D

I just hate having to delete stuff, you know?

I've had a few bad HDD crashes over the past few years. I sympathize. It was sad seeing my true love (other than my wife) die.

Clicking noises are generally bad. You can back-up to DVD, but DVD's only hold a few gigs a piece. I'd go with data and save games. Actual programs you can reinstall.

Is the HDD still under warranty?

I had a fairly new 160 gig WD crash without even a 'click' warning. The machine just went down ... pffhhht. WD's warranty service replaced it with a refurb, which I had problems with from the get-go. I used my old 80-gig Maxtor (old reliable) to bring the machine back up until I bought a new 200. Both companies make good drives, but some models are prone to problems; I think that's the case with the 160. The 200's work great.

But to avoid the reinstall merry-go-round (I think I reinstalled Windows 4 times that week, shifting hard drives about), I backed up my boot partition with Acronis True Image--small, light program that burns a backup directly to DVD RW (can be configured to boot, and then replace every freaking byte onto a new drive from DOS level). A 100-gig partition only took 4 DVD RW discs on full compression. As long as you haven't changed the MOBO out in the meantime, you're back in business right away. The program also will clone one drive/partition to a new one (inside Windows), if your faulty drive is still running. And it will do incremental backups, so you don't have to do everything all over again. I found the interface to be a bit finicky at first, but I'd rather deal with that than anything from Symantec any more. :ermm:

Ive moved all the important stuff and some of the not so importat stuff onto my new drive so Im fine when it does go boom. Its been fine today though, no clicking.

some models are prone to problems; I think that's the case with the 160.  The 200's work great. 

Not the SATA models I hope? ;) Cause my new drive is a WD Caviar 160gig SATA

My old laptop had HD probs. It would have been nice if all the guys at on the helpdesk would have realized that... but it was about the fourth I talked to and all he started by saying "is that your computer I hear in the background" - and ya know, the other guys I had talked to I told them that the computer didn't sound right.

Good luck on getting everything backed up, Kaftan. I would suggest if you have that much to back up anyway, you might want to archive the older stuff on DVD's anyway.

It's always hard to give up some of your files quickly at hand.

That reminds me, I need to do backups of this computer before I get into next semester.