HK-47 in SW Galaxies game

After all...it's science fiction.

It's actually not.

Hey...come out of Lala Land, will you? Star Wars is classified as Science Fiction.

RP's point was that, although it might be fictional, it ain't science-based.

Which is true.

There is no concession made for any of the normal laws of physics or chemistry (save for those it was impracticle to avoid, like gravity).

You could transcribe the SW story onto a Seventeenth Century Pacific setting, with Spanish Galleons, Dutch and English traders and warships and not lose any plot.

It is a "romantic" (or "swashbuckling") adventure.

It's more Flash Gordon than I, Robot.

OBSCVRVM PER OBSCVRIVS ET IGNOTVM PER IGNOTIVS

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

Hey...come out of Lala Land, will you? Star Wars is classified as Science Fiction.

Considering it fails to adhere to some of the basic notions of what science fiction entails, I'd hazard a guess that the ones living in Lala Land are those that are adamant in having Star Wars be categorized as such.

Every single sci-fi book and movie I've seen uses the same broken science, such as laser in space or sound in space. So why target one film for it?

Star Wars never featured teleportation, and operated in a galaxy other than our own. Inhabitable planets could be closer together. Travel could have been a few days at faster than light speeds if planets were close. It is never said that the travel takes place in a few hours.

Actually, in the books intestellar travel can take weeks,

Those criticisms were levelled at ST.

(The 1968 film 2001: A Space Oddyssey, directed by Mr Stanley Dr Strangelove Clockwork Orange Kubrick had no sound in space. Nor any lasers. Or laser guns.)

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

Uh... not to be nitpicking here or anything, but there's no reason why lasers can't work in a vacuum. They just aren't visible, but work just the same.

In contrast, they didn't use lasers in ST, they had "phasers". :huh:"

- When he is best, he is a little worse than a man, and when he is worst, he is little better than a beast.

What about that OS episode where Kirk drank from the fountain and was sped up to a superfast metabolism, and his phaser was (relatively) slow enough to walk out of the way from the beam at point blank range ...

They had some super-light technology for their weapons, that could only be heard it was so fast! Wow!

(In other words, more evidence of ST's lack of science credentials.)

It became very obvious to me how the writers were creating their scripts. Technology was added at particular points in the script as plot devices (we need comms blackout here, or no teleportation here).

That's why I classify it more as a romantic fantasy than a SF story.

Having said that, it really is a continuum, I think. I don't think there are hard and fast boundaries to compartmentalise the different genres.

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

Well, if the Wikipedia says so ... :-"

"Space opera" was originally a derogatory term, a variant of "horse opera" and "soap opera". Wilson Tucker suggested the term in 1941. It meant an action-oriented tale of space adventure instead of "respectable" science fiction story that concentrated on effects of technological progress and inventions. However there is no sharp dividing line and many authors manage to combine the space adventure and the supposedly 'respectable' elements, ensuring that the best written space opera is represented among the best of science fiction generally.

Originators of the first space opera stories were E. E. Smith, with his Skylark and Lensman series; Edmond Hamilton; Jack Williamson; John W. Campbell; and later Leigh Brackett.

This is apparently where GL stole the SW story from ...

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

GL and EE "Doc" Smith

So how many people have been convinced to purchase SWG now that HK-47 is in it?  :-"

Apart from Bastila Skywalker? :-"

Technically qualifies as a sequel, then, doesn't it? Because it has an NPC from the KotOR universe? :-"

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

GL and EE "Doc" Smith
So how many people have been convinced to purchase SWG now that HK-47 is in it?  :-"

Technically qualifies as a sequel, then, doesn't it? Because it has an NPC from the KotOR universe? :-"

4nd 7h47 73chnic411y c0n57i7u735 4 rum0r 4b0u7 k070r 3! (w00t)

[/bastila Skywalker]

manthing2.jpg

I'm surprised she hasn't posted a thread on here yet about the "official confirmation" of K3 due to this announcement (don't ask me how she'll jump to the conclusion. most of her leaps of logic aren't explainable).

"Console exclusive is such a harsh word." - Darque

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)

Well they could have milked bastila by putting HK on Korribon and having force visions of her rather than Obi.

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

Well they could have milked bastila by putting HK on Korribon and having force visions of her rather than Obi.

If you're responding to mine, Jags and Meta's posts, I think you missed the inside joke. :-"

"Console exclusive is such a harsh word." - Darque

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)