Revan & the Exile's gender/alignment

I think the results of the question will be skewed by the audience: young, pre-/just-post-puberty boys are hardly likely to play a grrl with grrls' germs.

I like to play with females. I use strong female roles from RL as my inspiration (which most teenage boys don't have access to, except for their mother, and I don't want to open that can of worms ... ).

I always just assumed you were female anyways. :D

"Console exclusive is such a harsh word." - Darque

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)

Is it fact that whatever your gender is you will most likely choose that gender in a role-playing game.

No. I usually play as a female. Part of role playing is playing something you are not.

War is Peace, Freedom is Slavery, Ignorance is Strength

Baldur's Gate modding
TeamBG
Baldur's Gate modder/community leader
Baldur's Gate - Enhanced Edition beta tester
Baldur's Gate 2 - Enhanced Edition beta tester

Icewind Dale - Enhanced Edition beta tester

The thread is, as I understand, about canonicity. Can anyone give me a link that confirms that the KOTOR II LS story is canonical?

It's not canon, at least not yet. Check one of Ghost of Anakin's earlier posts, it has a link to a comment by the Lucas Empire's canon-keeper that he was 'pushing' for the LS female Exile to become canon, but it hadn't been decided.

"An electric puddle is not what I need right now." (Nina Kalenkov)

I *think* I recall him (Leland Chee) saying in one of those threads that they always assume LS endings when they have to select a specific ending. But I don't have a linked proof, I just recall him (or one of the other "VIPs") saying that when a specific ending is required for continuity purposes, they always go with LS.

"Console exclusive is such a harsh word." - Darque

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)

Revan and Exile are both LSF.

Why? Cause that's how I played em.

The creators of the game gave us the choice and I took it.

It's like saying that the male character written into the novelization of the Balder's Gate series is the only "canon" verison of that game.

Pshaw. I wasn't a male human fighter, I was a female half-elven F/MU/T.

My snarky, LSF Revan who romanced Carth and saved the Republic is just as valid and true as someone else's DSM who corrupted Bastilla and took back his place as leader of the Sith.

Play it your way.

Revan and Exile are both LSF.

Why?  Cause that's how I played em.

The creators of the game gave us the choice and I took it.

It's like saying that the male character written into the novelization of the Balder's Gate series is the only "canon" verison of that game.

Pshaw.  I wasn't a male human fighter, I was a female half-elven F/MU/T.

My snarky, LSF Revan who romanced Carth and saved the Republic is just as valid and true as someone else's DSM who corrupted Bastilla and took back his place as leader of the Sith.

Play it your way.

Nobody is saying that your wrong. We're just talking about how BioWare, and Obsidian invisioned the charecters. If they really wanted the Exile to be a DSF or a LSM they wouldn't have given us the option. Either story works. Just because it's "canon" doesn't mean you have to play like that. Although I am hooked on the fact that Revan was a LSM and the Exile was a LSF.

...  is just as valid and true as ...

Yep. Because the game give you the choice, you are free to play the game as you wish without caring for "canon".

However, "canon" will have an impact on tie-ins such as RPG supplements, novels, comics and other videogames (possibly kotor3?). In all of these Revan will be referred to as male.

Is it fact that whatever your gender is you will most likely choose that gender in a role-playing game.

No. I usually play as a female. Part of role playing is playing something you are not.

You can do that in real life, if you have soft skin

People laugh when I say that I think a jellyfish is one of the most beautiful things in the world. What they don't understand is, I mean a jellyfish with long, blond hair.

I keep saying that I don't see a reason why there should be a "canon" gender for Revan or the Exile by KOTOR 3 (if there is a KOTOR 3) - you could chose who Revan was at the beginning of KOTOR 2, why not be able to do it again, huh?

I'm probably so insistant on that because I'm convinced that both Revan and the Exile should be LSF - because that's how I played them. Though I'm exactly like Metadigitial in that respect.

I played a female Revan, much like I played a female Exile, much like I played a female Jaden Korr, much like I prefered playing Mara Jade to Kyle Katarn. I do in deed play females where I can - I guess I'm just that sort of guy. I'm not about to defend my position - or say it's better than anyone elses, I just believe that a female Revan looks better than a male Revan - but then I'm naturally inclined to think that...

My first Exile (and main one) is a female, and the last time I checked, I'm a guy

DAWUSS

Dawes ain't too bright. Hitting rock bottom is when you leave 2 tickets on the dash of your car, leave it unlocked hoping someone will steal them & when you come back, there are 4 tickets on your dashboard.

...  is just as valid and true as ...

Yep. Because the game give you the choice, you are free to play the game as you wish without caring for "canon".

However, "canon" will have an impact on tie-ins such as RPG supplements, novels, comics and other videogames (possibly kotor3?). In all of these Revan will be referred to as male.

All of which I would rather wash my eyes in kerosine before reading.

OBSCVRVM PER OBSCVRIVS ET IGNOTVM PER IGNOTIVS

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

• 3 weeks later...

Beats me

Statemeant: you cannot stop me you cannot harm me, in order to do that I would need to stop being one of you; I have concluded that this is something I am willing to accept!

In short you have just shown me your soft meatbag-like underbellies and said

Revan's gender was actually originally thought to be female. One of the discussion postings in the Bioware forum actually mentions this. Personally prefer to play as a female. However, in K2, although I still played as a female, I eventually tried playing as a male. Male/Female experience was slightly different in K2 as males had Handmaiden and females had Disciple. It was interesting to note that I found a male character had more issues with Atris and Kreia than a female character, especially if the Handmaiden was converted to a Jedi Guardian by the PC, while converting Disciple to a Jedi Consular had a mild occasional dialogue with Kreia from time to time.

Deep from within...

Victims live a life of fantasy.

Some see salvation as an act of God, a few look within for it.

朱宣澧

a few thoughts:

1) unless K3 wraps up a proper trilogy, then it really doesn't matter.

2) however, unless K3 does, in fact, wrap up a proper trilogy, then K2 absolutely, positively falls apart.

3) believe it or not, LA does not want K2 to completely fall apart,

SO...

1) Exile is a disposable, non-essential character. I enjoyed playing Exile better (because I had more say in his identity) but, overall, he is a disposable, filler construct. For the purposes of diversity, I say hard code Exile as a female Twilek OR do not even use Exile at all (other than brief comments in various conversations). The main problem with just referring to Exile in conversation is that this person would need a name. Hard coded would make the writer's job much easier.

2) Revan was NOT originally envisioned as an EU character more popular than Exar Kun. However, a monster has been born and they have to give this monster REAL RESOLUTION. It is easier to do this if this monster has a hard coded identity.

And please don't even suggest that he lose his memory again and get deleveled again....PERISH THE THOUGHT!

the situation we are all faced with is not ideal but it is what it is. The only way they can finish this story with the kind of closure and polish I am looking for is to have Revan and Exile as hard-coded, non-playable characters.

I actually wouldn't mind having exile again as a PC, since that might do away with having to create a new PC for K3. As for power, since he/she may still have been a wound in the force after K2, then some event could happen at the beginning of K3 where the exile loses his connection and has to start over again. But K2 must have a sequal, otherwise the entire storyline could fall apart.

But the way things are looking right now, it will take as long for LA to announce K3 as it did to make K1. >_<

But K2 must have a sequal, otherwise the entire storyline could fall apart. 

right and "sequel" is hardly the word. The Two Towers and the Return of the King were not so much sequels of the Fellowship of the Ring as they were just parts 2 and 3 of one story chopped up with a meat cleaver.

That is what K3 *must* be: a "sequel" the way the Return of the King is a sequel.