KotoR 3: Ideas and Suggestions

Allowing people to kill off NPCs in KOTOR would require reworking the design. KOTOR has always told the story through the NPCS, so they are required to be there to do their bit.

I think you mean KotOR:TSL, not KotOR; after all, in K1 the PC was able to kill off every one of the companions, except HK-47 and Canderous.

OBSCVRVM PER OBSCVRIVS ET IGNOTVM PER IGNOTIVS

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

You forgot Bastila and T3. :p You're right, but in K1 almost every character was essential to the story in some way and had a good reason to be with you on your ship. A lot of K2's characters had vague or mediocre reasons to be on your ship. The only person who had a damn good reason for sticking with you was Kreia, and that was only so she could train/use you.

You can kill Bastila, too.

But I am (and you are) just being over-punctilious.

I would like more depth to a game I play, and this includes the companions: especially (as has been stated before) when they are compulsory.

But if they can't even deliver a completed game, I think it's pure fantasy to expect a deep game. :p"

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

though it is not my own style, I like the idea of DSers being able to torture their party members (as opposed to killing them)....then, the tortured party member could either become a sycophant or leave the party....basically, it would be the DS way of doing party management....LSers would have more pleasant ways of releasing party members.

of course, this would have to be "outer circle" party members who don't have essential, main story clues to offer.

GOT0 was an "inner circle" character in K2 though his backstory and persona was very underdeveloped.

Revitalise was a vastly underutilised force power. Apart from party members being killed off, Revitalise could have been used to bring them back to consciousness. NWN had this in Hordes of the Underdark where the PC could resurrect mercenaries like Daelan Redtiger, Linu Linora and a few others. Not as in virtually using it as a force power, but perhaps like being given a dialogue option to do so. (Like using Battle Meditation to rally either Vaklu's troops or Talia's royalists) So, certain NPCs like the dead Twilek in the 3rd pylon chamber on Nar Shaddaa could have had dialogue lines as another option.

Edited by vaxen83

Deep from within...

Victims live a life of fantasy.

Some see salvation as an act of God, a few look within for it.

朱宣澧

In my opinion that power was pointless and quite useless. Why don't they change it with a new all-party buff that will make characters more hard to kill instead of resurecting them?

Нека Силата винаги бъде с теб!

I reject your reality, and substitute it with my own.

Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted.

John Lenon

This thread is a big "hey, f*** you!" to the humanity's intelligence.

571911[/snapback]

It didn't seem to bother Bethesda when they made Morrowind.

What does that have to do with anything ? I already said that it would require a change in design and using the same method as Morrowind would be a change of design.

If KOTOR continues to use the characters are storytelling vehicles then they will be protected until they are no longer required (like they were in KOTOR).

I have to agree with Volourn.  Bioware is pretty much dead now.  Deals like this kills development studios.

478327[/snapback]

Baley? Is this yours? Why do you let your alt-nicks run rampart?

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

It has made me the man I am today. A man who craves furry hentai.

So let us go and embrace the rustling smells of unseen worlds

From Super Shadow and George Lucas himself

http://www.supershadow.com/starwars/lucas/

George Lucas: Josh, I really enjoyed reading your comments and questions. You seem like a nice person. It is nice to know that Star Wars has given you so much pleasure in life. This makes me feel good. You have plenty of questions so let

Edited by Bastilla_Skywalker

It didn't seem to bother Bethesda when they made Morrowind.

What does that have to do with anything ? I already said that it would require a change in design and using the same method as Morrowind would be a change of design.

If KOTOR continues to use the characters are storytelling vehicles then they will be protected until they are no longer required (like they were in KOTOR).

What it has to do "with anything", specifically the ability of the PC to kill any NPC, is that Bethesda used characters to tell the story (amongst other devices), just as every RPG does, so the fact that one game allows the PC to retard the story by killing off critical players shows that there is no reason it cannot be done.

Someone didn't get up on the right side of the bed this morning ...

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

What it has to do "with anything", specifically the ability of the PC to kill any NPC, is that Bethesda used characters to tell the story (amongst other devices), just as every RPG does, so the fact that one game allows the PC to retard the story by killing off critical players shows that there is no reason it cannot be done.

Not in the same way KOTOR does. Without Bastila or Kreia respectively you wouldnt even have a story in KOTOR and KOTORII. That is the difference and thats why it would require a change in the design. I never said It couldnt be done. I just said that it would require a different design which it would.

In fact outside of some JRPGS I dont know of any game that relies on the characters to tell the story as much as the KOTOR series.

Edited by ShadowPaladin V1.0
I have to agree with Volourn.  Bioware is pretty much dead now.  Deals like this kills development studios.

478327[/snapback]

One last reply before I'm off to watch Seredipity.

Not in the same way KOTOR does. Without Bastila or Kreia respectively you wouldnt even have a story in KOTOR and KOTORII. That is the difference and thats why it would require a change in the design.

Since I said from the start it would require a redesign if you wanted to kill off characters at will, your simply stating the obvious since Morrowind dosnt use characters in the same way as KOTOR.

1. If I'm "stating the obvious", then why are you arguing? Doesn't that mean you are wrong?

2. You seem to have an incomplete recollection of Morrowind. If the PC killed a critical character, then you were warned that the game was incompletable. That seems like a perfectly reasonable way to manage it in any other game, even a sequel to K2. It soon gets old killing NPCs for the fun of it, when you have to re-start the game to finish it afterwards ...

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

1. If I'm "stating the obvious", then why are you arguing? Doesn't that mean you are wrong?

2. You seem to have an incomplete recollection of Morrowind. If the PC killed a critical character, then you were warned that the game was incompletable. That seems like a perfectly reasonable way to manage it in any other game, even a sequel to K2. It soon gets old killing NPCs for the fun of it, when you have to re-start the game to finish it afterwards ...

Who's arguing ? I'm setting you straight since you felt the need to chime in about Morrowind. Which is already a different design to KOTOR and thus covered in my original post.

Fine, but thats still a change in the design from KOTOR which was what I said in the first place.

The point in case you missed it, was that as KOTOR is currently designed the characters are so integrel to the storytelling that you simply cant have them die until your done with them. KOTOR may have let you kill people off just before the StarForge but the story was as good as over and they were obsolete from a storytelling point anyway.

You may change the design, but you may end up losing what makes KOTOR what it is along the way.

478327[/snapback]

Who's arguing ? I'm setting you straight since you felt the need to chime in about Morrowind. Which is already a different design to KOTOR and thus covered in my original post.

Well, you aren't agreeing with me, and you are taking issue with the points I'm making, so that equals arguing, doesn't it?

Let's see, what does dictionary.com say?

argue:

1. To put forth reasons for or against; debate:

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

From Super Shadow and George Lucas himself

http://www.supershadow.com/starwars/lucas/

George Lucas: Josh, I really enjoyed reading your comments and questions. You seem like a nice person. It is nice to know that Star Wars has given you so much pleasure in life. This makes me feel good. You have plenty of questions so let

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

...And now for something completely different.

With a thread this size and with so many predecessors i feel a summary should be made every so often that relates the salient points. I feel this would make it much easier for me forum members to look through relevant info.

There are only about a dozen points that have been raised in all twelve multiplied by fifty pages of fourteen posts; the rest of the space is the usual gossip, arguing, banter and spam.

You probably already know all the points; they haven't changed since you were a windier character ...

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

There are only about a dozen points that have been raised in all twelve multiplied by fifty pages of fourteen posts; the rest of the space is the usual gossip, arguing, banter and spam.

I know, I know. It was just my way of saying "wtf is this graveyard of a thread still doing here?" ;)

You probably already know all the points; they haven't changed since you were a windier character ...

Wot you on about mate? ...:)"

don't look at my profile!

I know, I know. It was just my way of saying "wtf is this graveyard of a thread still doing here?" ;)

Couldn't agree more, though I suspect that the main purpose of the thread is a sink to keep the fora uncluttered by every n00b and their scatty ideas: this acts as both an electric insect zapper (attracting the fans to the light and trapping them here) and an enormous barrier (reading the sixty-odd pages of this thread and then being referred back to the previous ones is enough to make most people wander off and play something less taxing, like chess).

Wot you on about mate? ...:)"

don't look at my profile!

Didn't look at your profile ... but don't worry, your secret is safe with me. (And if you weren't around before, how can you make an authoritive statement about the expected demise of this thread ... Ahhhh, got you! And don't say anything about arguing in your spare time...)

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT