NHL is back

Cantousent

This thread deserves an award for being on topic and rancor free. Good work, everyone. I might even go see a game or two at the pond this year, seeing as how I'm reading so much about Hockey.

Fionavar's Holliday Wishes to all members of our online community:  Happy Holidays

Join the revelry at the Obsidian Plays channel:
Obsidian Plays

Remembering tarna, Phosphor, Metadigital, and Visceris.  Drink mead heartily in the halls of Valhalla, my friends!

So Pavel Datsyuk turned down a 5 million dollar offer from Detroit to stay in Russia. I can respect staying at home, but his reasons seemed silly. He said he deserved as much as Dany Heatly and Joe Thornton...

That's crazy, he's playing for Detroit. Heatley and Thornton have to work a lot harder to make thier teams good, because they are the majority of the talent. Even with Heatley changing teams, he's still going to be on the ice a lot.

Datsyuk shouldn't expect Thornton money from Detroit, because he's surrounded by superstars. If he wants more money, he should find a team that NEEDS him to get to the playoffs.

[Datsyuk shouldn't expect Thornton money from Detroit, because he's surrounded by superstars. If he wants more money, he should find a team that NEEDS him to get to the playoffs.]

Yeah Datsyuk played on Detroit with Steve Yzerman for crying out loud !! He is by no way a leader on the team !! He is an offensive threat but is quite one dimensionsal!! And performed quite poorly in the play offs last year!! Before the year is up he'll coming crawling back!!

"On other news New Jersey Devils defenceman Scott Stevens will sit out this season, although general manager Lou Lamoriello said health was not the reason the star would miss the year." Scott Stevens

And on the rumor mill Eklund claims there is a 60% chance Toronto will sign Yannick Perreault !! Not sure why they would need another center though.

Geez, not Yannic Perreault again (Leafs already had him for 3 years)! WE NEED A HIGH SCORING WINGER, DAMNIT!

Edit: NHL.com reports that Scott Stevens is retiring..? http://www.nhl.com/news/2005/09/234044.html

Tough blow for the Devils. First Niedermayer and now Stevens.

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

Watch Marty Brodeurs numbers come down to a more human level. As much as I dislike Scott Stevens, I don't think we'll see another defenseman like him for a while.

I'm hoping for some preseason games on my Centre Ice package in the next few weeks. Even if its the Rangers.

bnwdancer9ma7pk.gif

Jaguars4ever is still alive.  No word of a lie.

Is there any top player or top prospect that isn't rumoured to be on their way to Toronto at some point in any off season?

So far they've "just missed" Joe Thornton, Vincent Lecavalier, Pavel Datsyuk, Roberto Luongo, Scott Niedermeyer, Martin St. Louis, Brad Richards, Nikolai Khabibulin, Paul Kariya, Teemu Selanne, Adam Foote, AND Peter Forsberg, in addition to Zetterburg...

Seriously, JFJ should have been able to get all of them for "I want to play in Toronto so bad cuz it's teh r0xx0rs!!" discounts. For shame JFJ :D

I just read some pretty entertaining rumours. One Marius Czerkawski

to the Leafs for a whole half a million. I'll agree with the above said statements about JFJ.

And the idiot award goes to Mike Milbury of the Islanders. He wanted to offer goalie Rick DiPietro a fifteen year contract at four mil a year but the insurance issues stopped him. Didn't somebody learn their lesson with Alexei Yashin?

bnwdancer9ma7pk.gif

It's a shame that Damphousse didn't get one more year in, but he's retiring with 1,200 points and a heck of a final playoff run. If the Sharks had manged to beat Calgary, Damphousse would have had a good chance at the playoff MVP trophy. He was leading the Sharks in points. He was still very effective at his age as well, one of the best playmakers in the game.

And Zetterburg took one for the team and signed for four years at 2.65 per season. I hope Datsyuk has a miserable season. Greedy bastard. Sorry Mkreku, looks like another one got away from your team... :thumbsup:

bnwdancer9ma7pk.gif

Alright, another Albertan in the group. Calgary looks good with their top three defenseman ( Hamrlik, Regher,and I'll add Phaneuf to boot), but aside from that I think the blue liners are a little weak. Steve Montador? Andrew Ference? Rhett Warriner is kind of overrated, I think. The only thing I like about the Flames is that you can almost always count on the forwards helping out in their own zone. Thats what made Calgary so deadly in 03/04 and during that damned playoff run.

bnwdancer9ma7pk.gif

Alright, another Albertan in the group. Calgary looks good with their top three defenseman ( Hamrlik, Regher,and I'll add Phaneuf to boot), but aside from that I think the blue liners are a little weak. Steve Montador? Andrew Ference? Rhett Warriner is kind of overrated, I think. The only thing I like about the Flames is that you can almost always count on the forwards helping out in their own zone. Thats what made Calgary so deadly in 03/04 and during that damned playoff run.

Steve Montador is not a top six defenceman but can be dependable when called to perform as in the playoffs with all the injuries Calgary's d suffered. Andrew Ference granted can play at times but he does cough up the puck a bit too much !! But how can you call Rhett Warriner overrated he is a solid stay at home defenceman over the last 6-7 yrs that any nhl team would love to have and will be a great mentor for Mr Phaneuf

by the way Mr. Kor Qel Droma what is your team

I just don't find Warrener impressive. I'll agree that he's a stay at home guy, so points don't really measure into the equation. He might lay out a big hit or two, but he'll probably end up missing a week on the IR afterwards. Do you realize in his career he's never played a full 82 games?

And as for my team, I'll always be an Oiler fan. But I like a lot of other teams around the league as well. You must be from Calgary I guess...

bnwdancer9ma7pk.gif

The good old battle of Alberta should be good this year Edmonton got Pronger and Peca but still are a little thin at centre and don't have alot of exp for the d after Pronger ,Ulanov,Staois(sp)

and I wonder whats gonna happen with Smyth if he doesn't get his big contract before the start of the season

True though the Calgary forwards are a big help which was a reason why Calgary could play in Commodore!!

Oh well the more Canadian teams who make it well maybe not Toronto :)" so much the better

until the playoffs that is

I'd add the Jason Smith to the list of experienced "d". Hey did Toronto not give the Oil Smith for a couple of draft picks? Suckers.

As for the BOA, I'm hoping Iginla will get squashed by Pronger a few times this year. I can respect Iginla for being pretty much the top power forward in the league right now ( unless Bertuzzi plays like he should) , but I hate the way he lights it up against Edmonton netminders.

Ryan Smyth should take what the team gives him and deal with it. I've enjoyed watching him bleed blue and gold over the last few years, but he still has to put up a season where he's in the top 25 for scoring for him to earn the big bucks.

bnwdancer9ma7pk.gif

This might seem light a dumb question, Alanschu, but when do tickets for the rest of the season go on sale? The Oilers site says October games go on sale on the 17th of this month . Ticketmaster has some of the dates up for the later games, but it changes every time I go there.

bnwdancer9ma7pk.gif