KOTOR II Wins Best RPG of the Year at G-Phoria

I realise the original date was 2003 September. I was talking about the subsequent release, in 2004. (I really don't want to trawl through dozens of magazines, so I'm hoping you will understand what I am trying to say).

:)

Anyway, the release of Half-life 2 was delayed a second (and final) time, after it was announced in 2004, to be eventually released (what, 11th Nov?).

The release date was advertised with the magazines that did the preview. The game was not released at the time specified, and the magzine explained the reason (as the one I have given previously).

Ok?

OBSCVRVM PER OBSCVRIVS ET IGNOTVM PER IGNOTIVS

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

Despite obvious flaws like strange force discussions, true sith crap and unused potential of main protagonists Nihilus and Atris, TSL is still superior in every aspect to KOTOR and it's incredibly naive, childisch, clumsy and stupid story. So it should get much more GOTY awards, but I guess that sequel handicap merged with lack of promotion worked here.

HERMOCRATES:

Nur Ab Sal was one such king. He it was, say the wise men of Egypt, who first put men in the colossus, making many freaks

of nature at times when the celestial spheres were well aligned.

SOCRATES:

This I doubt. We are hearing a child's tale.

I like it and it's a great game. As said they should have put better use to Nihilus and Atris. And a decent complete ending would have been good. :-"

War is Peace, Freedom is Slavery, Ignorance is Strength

Baldur's Gate modding
TeamBG
Baldur's Gate modder/community leader
Baldur's Gate - Enhanced Edition beta tester
Baldur's Gate 2 - Enhanced Edition beta tester

Icewind Dale - Enhanced Edition beta tester

In no way do I think that K2 is a bad game, it's one of my favorites. I just can't help thinking how much more I would have liked it if they hadn't cut all that stuff out.

I completely agree with that. TSL could have been an excellent game, if the stuff wasn't cut out. Instead, it's just a good game, but one that is still quite enjoyable.

What?  I bought my copy of Vampires in either October or November.  Not sure what you mean by "making it able for Vampires to ship eventually in December 2004/January 2005.."

DAMN U AMERICANS... <_<

Uhm, I live in Europe and I picked up both Bloodlines and Half-Life 2 on...November 20th 2004, if memory serves. The first Monday following the release date, at any rate. We got both those games pretty darn close to the US; a week or two at the most.

Uhm, back on topic; Congrats, Obsidian.

And yes, for all it's flaws TSL was the better candidate; IMHO Jade Empire is a decent action/adventure game but it's not really an RPG.

I would have liked it though, if TSL been completed according to the original premise and then won the GOTY awards based on it being an awesome, fulfilling gaming experience rather than just by default <_<

Despite obvious flaws like strange force discussions, true sith crap and unused potential of main protagonists Nihilus and Atris, TSL is still superior in every aspect to KOTOR and it's incredibly naive, childisch, clumsy and stupid story. So it should get much more GOTY awards, but I guess that sequel handicap merged with lack of promotion worked here.

I personally thought that the storyline for KoTOR was well done. But I do like KoTOR II more, but I hate that you can't ever have your lightsaber at the beggining or closer to the beggining.... :luck:"

I personally thought that the storyline for KoTOR was well done. But I do like KoTOR II more, but I hate that you can't ever have your lightsaber at the beggining or closer to the beggining.... :-"

Me too, I thought I was gonna start with one.

I personally thought that the storyline for KoTOR was well done. But I do like KoTOR II more, but I hate that you can't ever have your lightsaber at the beggining or closer to the beggining.... :thumbsup:"

you can always type "giveitem g_w_lghtsbr01"... :cool:

HERMOCRATES:

Nur Ab Sal was one such king. He it was, say the wise men of Egypt, who first put men in the colossus, making many freaks

of nature at times when the celestial spheres were well aligned.

SOCRATES:

This I doubt. We are hearing a child's tale.

I personally thought that the storyline for KoTOR was well done. But I do like KoTOR II more, but I hate that you can't ever have your lightsaber at the beggining or closer to the beggining.... :thumbsup:"

you can always type "giveitem g_w_lghtsbr01"... :cool:

I think that screws up Bao-Durs dialogue when he "helps" you make a lightsaber. It did with me at least. :ph34r:

War is Peace, Freedom is Slavery, Ignorance is Strength

Baldur's Gate modding
TeamBG
Baldur's Gate modder/community leader
Baldur's Gate - Enhanced Edition beta tester
Baldur's Gate 2 - Enhanced Edition beta tester

Icewind Dale - Enhanced Edition beta tester

"IMHO Jade Empire is a decent action/adventure game but it's not really an RPG."

Eh. Quality issues aside, JE is very much a RPG. Afterall, you ROLE-PLAY a character making decisions thate ffect your PC, the npcs, and the world. You get multiple solutions to quests, and you 'level up' which effects what your character can do and how well they do it. You also have the ability to learn new skills, collect equipment, and absolutely everything else one can do in a RPG. The only 'non typical RPGish' thing that JE offers is RT combat. Bottom line is JE is a RPG. And, a better one than either KOTOR. Heck, Vampire would likely be as good as JE if it wasn't for the bugs, and the lame combat as it story, characters,a nd role-playing is mostly top notch.

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

Eh. Quality issues aside, JE is very much a RPG. Afterall, you ROLE-PLAY a character making decisions thate ffect your PC, the npcs, and the world. You get multiple solutions to quests, and you 'level up' which effects what your character can do and how well they do it. You also have the ability to learn new skills, collect equipment, and absolutely everything else one can do in a RPG. The only 'non typical RPGish' thing that JE offers is RT combat. Bottom line is JE is a RPG. And, a better one than either KOTOR. Heck, Vampire would likely be as good as JE if it wasn't for the bugs, and the lame combat as it story, characters,a nd role-playing is mostly top notch.

Well to each their own definition, I guess. Personally I judge what an RPG is by the first KotOR; since that was the first game in the genre to really appeal to me. KotOR is pretty much the standard I go by when I judge a game these days; to me it was near the epitome of gaming. I played Planescape: Torment when I found out Obsidian had been given the gig of KotOR2 and PST was right up there with KotOR, I think. Some aspects were better in PST, some were better in KotOR. KotOR2 made me sad because I wasn't able to really find the best of both those worlds in the game, I guess; it was just...unfulfilling to play.

Anyway; yeah JE offers lots of choices for interaction but so did alot of the old adventure games. The reason I don't personally count JE as an RPG is that it seems like "KotOR-lite" to me when I play it. I think Bioware aimed to broadly with it; they tried to make a game that would appeal to everyone who liked RPG's, to everyone who liked fighting games, and to everyone who loved just lounging in their sofa with the Xbox. With the end result being that while it's a good game it's not really anything genre-defining.

Of course this is just my personal opinion.

• 2 weeks later...

I supposed that Obsidian did make some effort in trying to make K2 a game to be as different as they could make it from K1.

Deep from within...

Victims live a life of fantasy.

Some see salvation as an act of God, a few look within for it.

朱宣澧