KOTOR II Wins Best RPG of the Year at G-Phoria

Guest MacleodCorp
Well, on the date stuff:

Half-Life 2 was released October 2004, so making it able for Vampires to ship eventually in December 2004/January 2005...

Which doesn't mean KOTOR2 was ALSO released in December 2004 (Only North-America X-Box though)...

So both shouldn't be in 2005 competition, if you look it that way...

(Not that both games shouldn't get GOTY awards of 2005, since we are only half-way into the year...)

What? I bought my copy of Vampires in either October or November. Not sure what you mean by "making it able for Vampires to ship eventually in December 2004/January 2005.."

In fact, both were released at the same time, if I remember correctly, since Valve didn't care because Vampires was using an older version of the Source Engine and probably wasn't worried about that older (and poorer performance) version being ripped off.

Since I reserved both games, Vampire was released about one month after the release of KotOR II in the same year. Therefore, GOA is right about the release dates. I remember it as clear as day. I thought it was weird that Bloodlines was not in the list. Eventhough they both had flaws, I believe that it would have narrowed the competition.

Mario - Rated E/Y (I know it is a youth rating.)

Jade Empire - Rated M

KotOR - Rated T

Bloodlines - Rated M

(FYI - For the PC Version, KotOR II was released in February and Bloodlines was released in March of the same year. However, Bloodline was never on XBox. If G-Phoria was a battle over best RPG on PC, then I think there would be big competition.)

If you look at the ratings and the games, you can tell they were not all in the same category. If KotOR II went up against Bloodlines, I think there would be a three way battle for the best.

A few days ago, I started two new games in KotOR I and KotOR II. Since I am playing both at the same time, I can appreciate the overhaul on the graphics. I don't know if Obsidian added more polygons, but their characters have more features and dimensions. Even their GUI interface has extensive changes. KotOR I was great for it's release, and without BioWare there wouldn't have been a more intresting game. However, Obsidian's overhaul of the KotOR series has been very much appreciated. Compaired to the games that faught for dominance in the GPhoria contest, KotOR II did desirve center stage.

Guest MacleodCorp
Was Jade Empire on console only?

Yes, and no plans for a PC version.

Fable for PC went gold today. :)

Well, that answered it! G-Phoria's competition was soley based upon console, so this is not a complete census. If it was based upon PC and Console, I think there would have been a different dynamic to the voting.

Well, that answered it! G-Phoria's competition was soley based upon console, so this is not a complete census. If it was based upon PC and Console, I think there would have been a different dynamic to the voting.

It's possible that PC voters swung it. Who knows? Were any of the others available on PC?

Is it supposed to be better than the console version?  I played it on my buddy's system and I gotta say I was not impressed in the least.

Longer, they say, but probably not much different otherwise. I heard mixed things about it, too and I would like have a go on a demo before I buy it, because it does look a bit action/console-y and the demo of Bards Tale put me right off. But then, what other RPGs are on the horizon?

"An electric puddle is not what I need right now." (Nina Kalenkov)

Guest MacleodCorp

It's possible that PC voters swung it. Who knows? Were any of the others available on PC?

Is it supposed to be better than the console version?  I played it on my buddy's system and I gotta say I was not impressed in the least.

Longer, they say, but probably not much different otherwise. I heard mixed things about it, too and I would like have a go on a demo before I buy it, because it does look a bit action/console-y and the demo of Bards Tale put me right off. But then, what other RPGs are on the horizon?

I am not very sure about the other competition being available on PC. On the same note, I am not sure if PC gamers would have made a difference. I don't know what the ratio is now. Since the console and PC industry have changed, I can't make heads or tails about who plays what...

Longer, they say, but probably not much different otherwise.  I heard mixed things about it, too and I would like have a go on a demo before I buy it, because it does look a bit action/console-y and the demo of Bards Tale put me right off.  But then, what other RPGs are on the horizon?

True, not many RPGs on the horizon, but that in itself isn't really a reason to buy one I didn't enjoy the first time around. :D

*IF* I see reviews glowing about how it's almost a completely different game with the additions to the PC version, I might be tempted to pick it up. As it is, Fable disappointed me more than any game in recent memory and I'm not overly interested in the PC version.

"Console exclusive is such a harsh word." - Darque

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)

I have a friend of mine, Tony, who has a decent rig. It literally took 10-15 minutes per load screen and the game was bugged to the point he could barely play.

He said he loved what he saw, but he couldn't play it.

That is RPG of the year?

It takes about 20-30 seconds to load here.

And yes I belive it was the best game of that year.

Even the best game since Arcanum,but hey that's just me.

Ender,you should give it a try.

There really weren't that many bugs and your system should have no trouble handeling it.

What?  I bought my copy of Vampires in either October or November.  Not sure what you mean by "making it able for Vampires to ship eventually in December 2004/January 2005.."

DAMN U AMERICANS... <_<

Fable for PC went gold today. :)

Didn't knew it was 4 November today... missed something? :ermm:

Didn't know it was 4 November today... missed something?  :)

Going gold is not the same as being released, or at least that's my understanding of it. They've produced the completed 'gold' version which will be copied, packaged, shipped and sold. We'll be able to buy it in November.

They now have two months to work on the first patch. :ermm:

"An electric puddle is not what I need right now." (Nina Kalenkov)

Didn't know it was 4 November today... missed something?  :(

Going gold is not the same as being released, or at least that's my understanding of it. They've produced the completed 'gold' version which will be copied, packaged, shipped and sold. We'll be able to buy it in November.

They now have two months to work on the first patch. >_<

You are correct, but games don't usually go "gold" a full 6 weeks before release that I know of.

Didn't know it was 4 November today... missed something?  :(

They now have two months to work on the first patch. >_<

:lol:

And the second patch, too. (Otherwise the second patch won't have any regression bugs that were fixed in the first patch ...)

OBSCVRVM PER OBSCVRIVS ET IGNOTVM PER IGNOTIVS

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

What?  I bought my copy of Vampires in either October or November.  Not sure what you mean by "making it able for Vampires to ship eventually in December 2004/January 2005.."

DAMN U AMERICANS... <_<

You quoted Darth MacLeod, but that was my quote. I'm not American. ;)

"Console exclusive is such a harsh word." - Darque

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)

DAMN U AMERICANS... <_<

You quoted Darth MacLeod, but that was my quote. I'm not American. :ninja:

You live on the North American continent, don't you? That makes you American. Just like Brazilians are American, too.

Problem is those ignorant citizens of the United States of America who think there is no world outside their country, least of all on their continent, and therefore think that USA equates to American, which it certainly does not.

But you are American. :Darque:

OBSCVRVM PER OBSCVRIVS ET IGNOTVM PER IGNOTIVS

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT