Character advice needed

Greetings. In KotOR 1, I had a Scout/Consular who started with STR 14 DEX 10 CON 10 INT 14 WIS 14 CHA 15 or similar, took Master Duelling and Master Flurry and ended up owning Malak in lightsabre combat. Basically, it was a Consular with a knack for violent solutions and the fun was great.

This time, I'm going to start with STR 12 DEX 10 CON 12 INT 14 WIS 14 CHA 15 and max out on Flurry ASAP, along with Duelling. This would probably work for a Consular/Master or Sentinel/Master (I know for sure I won't take Watchman -- camo & sneak is not my style).

However, if I were to take Weaponmaster for prestige class, Duelling wouldn't make much sense, as his superior dual-wielding bonuses would go to waste, except maybe to achieve total uberness in AB and keep a high AC at the same time. Even with dual-wielding, I'm still more inclined towards Flurry than Power Attack with the kind of damage Weaponmasters do (not to mention the fact Power Attack doesn't give you an additional crit chance unlike the bonus attack from Flurry). A "dancing" Weaponmaster with a double-bladed sabre and Flurry would be quite neat but I guess the crit chance of two lightsabres outweighs the damage benefit of the double-bladed one, doesn't it?

As for Master, I enjoy the Light Side Enlightment idea very much, but I'm not sure how the Inspire Allies force power works out in practice, if it's worth it and all. The poor save progression (Fort Low Ref Low Will High) creeps me out with other PrCs getting High/Med/Med kind of progression.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but it seems to me that Weaponmaster is going to miss out on some great roleplaying and dialogue revolving around Light Side Enlightment. I surely would miss that. Does he get any replacement, dialogue/RP-wise?

Ultimately, I don't think Consular/Weaponmaster would be a good idea (who needs Force Focus if your job is chopping and unused abilities are a waste), so I'm probably going to have to stick with Consular/Master, Sentinel/Master or Sentinel/Weaponmaster. Sentinel/Weaponmaster seems to get some nice additional unstoppability, although I suppose Master could appreciate it, as well. Still, Master would probably be somewhat gimped without the +6 DC from Consular that wasn't of much use for a Weaponmaster.

Perhaps Guardian/Master with maxed out Duelling and Flurry (or Power Attack/Crit Strike) could make an oldschool Jedi like from the old movies, but I'm not sure. Too few skill points and it also seems to be a gimped class combined with a poor save class... bad bargain.

Any suggestions or corrections? What's also important for me is not missing out on dialogue options/threads. Thanks in advance for any help.

In a nutshell:

- Weapon Master/Marauder gets access to more combat feats, and will easily beat the final levels without using hardly any force powers.

- Watchman/Assassin gets more skill points - but is an average warrior (as far as a 30+ level character is "average")

- Jedi Master/Sith Lord gets more Force Powers, and has the ability to make force powers more effective (longer duration, more damage, harder to save against) - but is a below average (compared to other 30+ level characters) warrior

The dialogs do not change based on your class (most are different based on LS/DS alignment).

As the game is about role playing, and not combat (combat just allows you to get from one situation/dialog to the next) - and is pretty easy to beat with any PC class/align combo - play the way you want to - or the way you think your character would.

For example, right now I'm trying to play through as a conniving, manipulative bitch DS female - while I've known a few in my life, it is hard for me to relate to, and a true role-playing challenge - I'm a lightsider at heart, and it pains sometimes me to choose some of the dialog options that the PC I'm trying to play would actually say ... and somewhat curiously, sometimes the most manipulative path is the light side path (with a little dark thrown in).

The game's not about the "right way" to build a character ... it's about playing the character.

For example, right now I'm trying to play through as a conniving, manipulative bitch DS female - while I've known a few in my life, it is hard for me to relate to, and a true role-playing challenge - I'm a lightsider at heart, and it pains sometimes me to choose some of the dialog options that the PC I'm trying to play would actually say ... and somewhat curiously, sometimes the most manipulative path is the light side path (with a little dark thrown in).

Ah! The secret to life! It's a pity we can't play a DS character pretending to be LS, like Sidious and Palpatine. That is where the game really misses a trick: it would be endlessly replayable, with that! ;)

OBSCVRVM PER OBSCVRIVS ET IGNOTVM PER IGNOTIVS

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

Just looking at base classes, I could probably suggest Sentinel/Master.

It would mirror the Scout/Consular motif of the first game, since Sentinels are the skill experts (huge amount of skills, with all skills I believe being class skills).

If you go with flurry and master speed, combat wise you'll never have any problems. So just pick whatever you want :D

Greetings. In KotOR 1, I had a Scout/Consular who started with STR 14 DEX 10 CON 10 INT 14 WIS 14 CHA 15 or similar, took Master Duelling and Master Flurry and ended up owning Malak in lightsabre combat. Basically, it was a Consular with a knack for violent solutions and the fun was great.

This time, I'm going to start with STR 12 DEX 10 CON 12 INT 14 WIS 14 CHA 15 and max out on Flurry ASAP, along with Duelling. This would probably work for a Consular/Master or Sentinel/Master (I know for sure I won't take Watchman -- camo & sneak is not my style).

However, if I were to take Weaponmaster for prestige class, Duelling wouldn't make much sense, as his superior dual-wielding bonuses would go to waste, except maybe to achieve total uberness in AB and keep a high AC at the same time. Even with dual-wielding, I'm still more inclined towards Flurry than Power Attack with the kind of damage Weaponmasters do (not to mention the fact Power Attack doesn't give you an additional crit chance unlike the bonus attack from Flurry). A "dancing" Weaponmaster with a double-bladed sabre and Flurry would be quite neat but I guess the crit chance of two lightsabres outweighs the damage benefit of the double-bladed one, doesn't it?

As for Master, I enjoy the Light Side Enlightment idea very much, but I'm not sure how the Inspire Allies force power works out in practice, if it's worth it and all. The poor save progression (Fort Low Ref Low Will High) creeps me out with other PrCs getting High/Med/Med kind of progression.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but it seems to me that Weaponmaster is going to miss out on some great roleplaying and dialogue revolving around Light Side Enlightment. I surely would miss that. Does he get any replacement, dialogue/RP-wise?

Ultimately, I don't think Consular/Weaponmaster would be a good idea (who needs Force Focus if your job is chopping and unused abilities are a waste), so I'm probably going to have to stick with Consular/Master, Sentinel/Master or Sentinel/Weaponmaster. Sentinel/Weaponmaster seems to get some nice additional unstoppability, although I suppose Master could appreciate it, as well. Still, Master would probably be somewhat gimped without the +6 DC from Consular that wasn't of much use for a Weaponmaster.

Perhaps Guardian/Master with maxed out Duelling and Flurry (or Power Attack/Crit Strike) could make an oldschool Jedi like from the old movies, but I'm not sure. Too few skill points and it also seems to be a gimped class combined with a poor save class... bad bargain.

Any suggestions or corrections? What's also important for me is not missing out on dialogue options/threads. Thanks in advance for any help.

P.S. Ya know what I think?

I think that you shouldn't worry so much about your character build. The game is cake anyway.

P.S. Ya know what I think?

I think that you shouldn't worry so much about your character build. The game is cake anyway.

Right... perhaps I put it wrong. I'm fairly convinced the game is playable whichever way and I'm more concerned with the roleplaying side of it. In short, RP-wise, what would be the closest to my aforementioned Scout/Consular with a death wish?

:ermm:

OBSCVRVM PER OBSCVRIVS ET IGNOTVM PER IGNOTIVS

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

do you mean the force power? if you're lightside you get it no matter what the class.

No, I mean the unique Jedi Master class ability called Light Side Englightment, which makes you influence your party's alignment more strongly by drawing the light siders further to the light and pushing darksiders away, inspiring the former and repealing the latter etc etc. I suppose it's not just a figure in the alignment formulae, but something reflected in the dialogues, but I might be wrong.

So... perhaps Sentinel/Master reflects Scout/Consular. What about a Star Wars counterpart of paladin/wizard with the nifty combination improved crits for longsword (avenger) and a couple of spell focuses & penetration (successful Disintegration of a black dragon was as memorable as smiting demons into dust)?

Nah, not all. I think repair and stealth aren't.

I think you might be right. I always picked the repair feat though. It's so useful seeing as it's your party leader that determines how many components you get when breaking down items, and that's based purely on your repair skills.

Plus fixing stuff is cool!

Well, I originally played (LS) as Sentinel/Weapon Master, but I just played through the DS side as Sentinel/Sith Lord, and I must say the latter gave far more enjoyment rules-wise, since I had massive access to force powers at my disposal with not very noticeable differences in lightsaber usage (still dual weapon)...

If I play again as LS, which I intend once the Restoration Project is done or near to, I'll be sure to play as Sentinel/Jedi Master.

I prefer the Sentinel in KotOR2 because skills really are rather important - there are lots and lots of areas in the game, where you can use your skills to great benefit, unlike KotOR1, where those areas were relatively few, and even then only some skills were relevant (notably Persuasion for dialogue options and Repair to upgrade HK-47). So while I'd choose scout/guardian in KotOR1 every time, in KotOR2 it will be Sentinel/Jedi Master or Sentinel/Sith Lord.

I put my stats like this: Str 12, Dex 10, Con 14, Int 14, Wis 14, Cha 14. Raising stats above 14 (but not to 14 itself) costs two 'points' instead of one, so I don't do that, since it costs too many potential bonuses on other stats.

You'll want high Wis and Cha for your force powers (and persuasion), high Int for extra skill points and dialogue options (I use my two first attribute boosts at levels 4 and 8 to raise my Int to 16).

In KotOR2 you'll also want good Con so you can use implants (once my Int is 16, I build Con with boosts until it's 18). Dex had higher priority in KotOR1 because it affected both AC and lightsaber attacks, but in KotOR2 attacks are not subject to Dex (unless you have Finesse, which I don't want to buy), so I place more priority on Str.

For Sentinels I believe it's Demolitions and Repair that are cross-class skills, and since I want Demolitions to retrieve mines on Peragus, I always take that as a class skill with a feat during character creation (Repair when I get a new feat).

For skills I place priority on Persuasion - always Persuasion (since only the PC can take it...)! Next are Repair and Computer Use (to upgrade T3 and HK-47), but Demolitions (for mines) and Security (for locks) are also important. Don't stop building Demolitions until it's above 20 ranks, though, because there are lots and lots of powerful mines you can retrive (and even get xp for it) once you go after Goto on Nar Shaddaa. If there is one skill I don't build much, it's usually Treat Injury, since you just don't need it once you have any of the Healing powers (or else you can just wait around to heal...), so it's mostly useful when creating stuff on the workbench...

If this is your first play through, don't take Consular. It's a lot harder to play through as one. If you wanna own everyone, take a Guardian and then make him/her a WeaponsMaster. Try to max out Flurry, dueling or two weapon fighting.