Deadly Games

Laozi

Isn't Japan having growing problems with teenage gangs and street violence? I'm not saying that it is liked to video games (I don't believe so), but I'm not sure how correct it would be to say Japan isn't having any problems. :p

Hawk! Eggplant! AWAKEN!

Last ones were.

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

It has made me the man I am today. A man who craves furry hentai.

So let us go and embrace the rustling smells of unseen worlds

Some interesting statistics:

An estimated 89,000 cases of child sexual abuse were substantiated in 2000 in the United States. (http://www.unh.edu/ccrc/factsheet/childsexabuse.htm) (Interestingly, there has been a 40% decline in the estimated number of child sexual abuse substantiations since 1992.)

Two Japan Times articles report a total of 466 arrests in Japan for the year 2004 for child molestation. http://www.japantimes.co.jp/cgi-bin/getart...n20050601f2.htm

http://www.japantimes.co.jp/cgi-bin/getart...n20050520a2.htm

Japan Population, 127,214,499 (July 2003) http://education.yahoo.com/reference/factbook/ja/popula.html

U.S. Population, 290,809,777 (July, 2003) http://www.infoplease.com/ipa/A0004986.html

Note that these statistics are not an exact comparison. But the absolute difference in the per capita numbers is astounding.

I'm surprised you weasels didn't come up with anything other than knocking this. I don't know. I go away for five days and you learn to live in peace and harmony. Tsk tsk tsk.

1) Video games and movies don't make you violent.

HOWEVER, there are quite a few studies that suggest they shape the way we choose to be violent. A quick example is the 'craze' for the gangsta grip on hand-guns. Bloody stupid way to hold a gun, but it was the way you were 'supposed' to shoot a gun, and thus people did it. The clinical studies showed that kids fought the same amount if they saw a violent film, but the type of violence, and the use of objects mimicked what they had seen.

2) People pester criminals to know why they did things. The truth is usually a lot more complicated and tedious and even embarassing than them steadfastly claiming a videogame made them do it.

3) Personally I do think there is a small effect from violent media on people. That is insofaras it helps them square their primitive and unrelated urge to be violent with their conscious mind. Someone who can think of reasons why they should give in to a violent impulse will be more likely (but not very much more likely) to do it than someone who cannot, or who recognises it as just an impulse.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

Don't blame Rockstar North

They're just trying to earn a buck.

Blame the kid's parents.

the only thing I blame R* for is making the same game over and over again. How many times can you kill a whole lot of cops before its time to just move on?

People laugh when I say that I think a jellyfish is one of the most beautiful things in the world. What they don't understand is, I mean a jellyfish with long, blond hair.

Japan has even more sex and violence in their videogames and cartoons and they have no problems.

Well, I would have said they don't have the same problems with violence. They certainly have problems, but more to do with their rampant sexual fetishisms ...

OBSCVRVM PER OBSCVRIVS ET IGNOTVM PER IGNOTIVS

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

Isn't Japan having growing problems with teenage gangs and street violence?  I'm not saying that it is liked to video games (I don't believe so), but I'm not sure how correct it would be to say Japan isn't having any problems.  >_<

Japan's violence is growing but from a very low starting point, so to Japanese observers it seems to be out of control, whereas from a Western perspective it's relatively low. Having worked in a Japanese school, I tend to think that the growth in violence has a lot to do with problems in Japanese schools.

Japan's relative lack of violence is a strong argument against a link between video games and violent acts, although that's only one of the possible links you might want to draw. A link between video games and violent feelings seems to have more research behind it.

"An electric puddle is not what I need right now." (Nina Kalenkov)

Great points about Japan and violence. Regarding any link between violent feelings and video games, ppl need to remember that a common problem with analyzing any statistical link is jumping to a cause-effect conclusion. A statistical link alone doesn't evidence a cause-effect relationship. Often two things are linked because they are both related to a third element (which can be the cause of the linked items).

People need to realize that their have been a lot more crazy killers before video games.

ex. Jack the Ripper, Charles Manson, Gacey, etc.

All those people did a lot worst thing then this guy, and they didnt have video games. People just need to realize that not everybody is a good person and that there are a lot of sick and violent people.

It is also extremely difficult to establish a causal link between a single factor (like violent images) and an eventual outcome (violent behaviour) because of the almost limitless variables.

Some doctors have insufficient numeracy skills to comprehend statistical variances; e.g. the just struck-off Professor Sir Roy Meadow, whose evidence wrongly convicted several innocent mothers of killing their babies because of an illness he was championing "Munchhausen by Proxy", and he admitted that he had "a weak grasp of statistics", yet he quoted figures like "a million to one" and "winning the lottery".

OBSCVRVM PER OBSCVRIVS ET IGNOTVM PER IGNOTIVS

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

Some doctors have insufficient numeracy skills to comprehend statistical variances; e.g. the just disbarred Professor Sir Roy Meadow, whose evidence wrongly convicted several innocent mothers of killing their babies because of an illness he was championing "Munchhausen by Proxy", and he admitted that he had "a weak grasp of statistics", yet he quoted figures like "a million to one" and "winning the lottery".

He was forbidden from practicing Law? :-

Don't you mean he was struck off? Some language nazi you are! :)"

Hawk! Eggplant! AWAKEN!

It's funny I posted on the bbs there the linky that Ender gave us to the PBS study, and they didn't care what a study said unless it said that there was the slimmest chance that videogames would lead to massive amounts of violence and that they should ban them for all time... Screwey parents huh?

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.