Kotor 3: Ideas and Suggestions

I like the idea of starting with as an Outcast on Taris, but wouldn't it attract criticism for being a rip-off of Fallout? On the other hand, I don't suppose that really matters.

Another possiblity (probably mentioned already by someone else, I haven't read all the threads) is to start as a member of a new non-aligned group of Force Users determined not to repeat the mistakes of the Jedi/Sith schism - a sort of Bindo Club, if you like. Your apprentice character could make the choice eventually to stay with this group and help them become the dominant group in the galaxy, or to leave and work to rebuild either the Jedi or the Sith. This would give a new faction and a 'Choose between three paths' kind of tag-line that would be a useful selling-point for the game.

"An electric puddle is not what I need right now." (Nina Kalenkov)

Would it make sense for someone to just learn new things about the Force?

I would suspect that smiply learning to manipulate the Force is going to be a damned hard thing to do, considering examples like Luke being Force Sensitive is whole life, but not even knowing it existed until he received training.

And as for learning something that normal Jedi/Sith would never have known...I think it would kind of be like one of us discovering something in physics that teams of physicists never discovered, despite their years of research.

Well, there are quite a few non-Jedi/Sith Force Traditions in the Star Wars setting. I was suggesting the protagonist be raised in one of them, most of which have different ways of using the force than the more well known orders. For example, the Witches of Dathomir, the Wizard of Tund, the Baran Do Sages, the Matukai, and the Zeison Sha

Anyway, there are always more planets to be discovered, so the devs are free to create a new Force Tradition on one of them, with powers of their choice. I would caution them that most Force Traditions tend to be rather specialized in their application of the Force. Also, many tend to view the Light and Dark Side somewhat more leniently than the Jedi, though they do root out any true evil. This allows the main character to start out neutral, and possibly even introduce a new storyline that if the character should fall to the Dark Side, his original order would attempt to hunt him down, considering it their responsibility to remove the blight they had created.

Anyway, if the protagonist were to start in one, I would, depending upon the identity and philosphy of his order, recommend his initial powers (if any) to be of the same vein, i.e. all buffs, all defense, all non-combative, etc.

And I find it kind of funny

I find it kind of sad

The dreams in which I'm dying

Are the best I've ever had

I like the idea of starting with as an Outcast on Taris, but wouldn't it attract criticism for being a rip-off of Fallout?  On the other hand, I don't suppose that really matters.

You mean sorta like how people called TSL a PS:T copy cat? :-"

"Console exclusive is such a harsh word." - Darque

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)

I would suspect that smiply learning to manipulate the Force is going to be a damned hard thing to do, considering examples like Luke being Force Sensitive is whole life, but not even knowing it existed until he received training.

Not really. There are various characters in the Star Wars EU that have "learned" Force powers on their own. The only difference is they might not be able to control or harness it all the time or call upon it whenever you need it.

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)

usually if sombody in the EU learns to use the force on his/her own, they use the dark side because it's simply easier to use. Kyp Durron is a prime example of this.

Anyway, The thing that's great about Taris is that you can connect to the older games, and you get "discovered" by a jedi and/or a sith. If they both find you at the same time you could do quests for each group to see who you move on and train with. Then the second part of the tutorial, where you learn about force powers and their many many uses, could be at either academy.

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

Guest MacleodCorp

At the moment, I can't see why I would want to play another KotOR game. the first one was great, the second one had promise. There are no expansion packs, which means you play the game a few times through, and there is nothing to do. How dull!

At the moment, I can't see why I would want to play another KotOR game. the first one was great, the second one had promise. There are no expansion packs, which means you play the game a few times through, and there is nothing to do. How dull!

Maybe you just worded that wrong, but the first part of your post seems to kind of conflict with your second.

You state that you can't see why you would want to play another KOTOR game, but then you say that the first one was great, and the second had promise. Maybe I'm missing your point, but if *I* felt that the first was great and the second had promise, I'd want to play another KOTOR game.

I guess I'm just not getting how you don't want to play another KOTOR game, despite the fact that in your own words, both were either great or had the potential to be. Your first sentence, and last sentence are the kind of statement someone would make if they HATED both KOTOR 1 and 2.

And as for learning something that normal Jedi/Sith would never have known...I think it would kind of be like one of us discovering something in physics that teams of physicists never discovered, despite their years of research.

Oi!

First rule of brain-storming is no qualitative criticism. :)

:) sorry, didn't realize this was just a brainstorming session!

Guest MacleodCorp

Maybe you just worded that wrong, but the first part of your post seems to kind of conflict with your second.

You state that you can't see why you would want to play another KOTOR game, but then you say that the first one was great, and the second had promise. Maybe I'm missing your point, but if *I* felt that the first was great and the second had promise, I'd want to play another KOTOR game.

I guess I'm just not getting how you don't want to play another KOTOR game, despite the fact that in your own words, both were either great or had the potential to be. Your first sentence, and last sentence are the kind of statement someone would make if they HATED both KOTOR 1 and 2.

You noticed! I am conflicted at the moment. I think I am just bored with KotOR, so I am in no mood to play it again. I don't know... It is one of those weird things.

@Eddo

Be wary with the instakills like the bottomless pits though.

No one wants to be the recipent and watch their PC die because the enemy decides to force push them at that moment.

I like the ideas about combatants taking cover and perhaps getting bonuses to their defense.

As long as it remains primarily in control of the ruleset and not individual player skills, things could work...and I find your suggestions do adhere to this.

Yeah, kinda like Full Spectrum Warrior mixed in the combat system.

I still think the Outcast villager would make for the best beginning for a character in K3. It would tie in to the series, and also give the writers ample room for creativity with the character since they don't have to worry about amnesia or explaining why the character starts out where he/she does.

Ok... Vagrant66 made the original post here... and there are 25 pages to read. After page 2, I decided I didn't care if anyone already commented on certain aspects of Vagrant66's vision of KOTOR III. Seems like certain things were commented on multiple times anyway, so why not beat the horse again, shall we?

Conversations will be based on KoTOR 1 level up style rather than unlocking more things through influence. But Influence would return, though only in conversation (eg. how you react to their stories/talk to them) and only some characters can be influenced. The character's influenced alignments will have some impact on an event later in the game.

This statement is quite redundant and incoherant. Plus, it takes away from what I consider to be an improvement on KOTOR I. The ability to gain influence with your companions to further explore their backgrounds is great, especially for the ones that you can eventually train as Jedi. I think this should be expanded upon, not limited.

Instead of going through individual things, I'll just say I agree with those who said this is too much like KOTOR I. Because it is, with subtle differences. The whole Max, Martin, or Mike thing... one, those are too common of names in real life to be Star Wars-y. Yeah, there was a Luke Skywalker, but how many Hans do you know? Or Obi-Wans? Or Yodas? (They could have called him Bob in your version of KOTOR III... :mellow: ) Secondly, although I like that idea, the whole Scout, Scoundrel, Soldier thing was axed in KOTOR II... no reason to revert back to it. But the whole thing is way too similar to KOTOR I's opening... oh, and there's certainly no reason to have a name on a ship. No ship in Star Wars has its name on it... that's Star Trek. Do you see "Ebon Hawk" painted in hot pink on the outside of it?? I don't think so.

Part 2

--------

The council chamber is a downgraded version of the one seen in episodes 1-3, and looks about the same as the one in the flashback of KoTOR 2. Six seats (half the number there are in the movies) are spread about the room with one vacant chair that belongs to Ben Koral who stands near the door, the rest occupied with five Jedi masters sitting in them:

Master Dorak (who survived the attack on Dantooine) a little older and in the same kind of robes as in KoTOR 1,

A blue female Twi-lek named Kish Laka in blue robes,

Yudan (of the same mysterious species as Vandar, Yoda and Yaddle) in light brown robes,

A Cerean (same species as Ki-Adi-Mundi) named Torak Fando in brown robes

And a Rodian named Vu Wulak in red robes.

Ok... first of all, I have the same complaint with "Ben" as I do Mike, Martin and Max... Not Star Wars-y enough. Second, which is bolded (and then the orange bold for the partially correct statement) is Master Dorak. You were correct that he did survive the assault on Dantooine by Malak... BUT, he was killed on Katarr with Master Zhar and those other Jedi that gathered there when Nihilus destroyed Visas' homeworld. (Master Vrook tells you this when you speak to him after the Defense of Khoonda on Dantooine in KOTOR II.) So, that little oversight would have to be corrected. No Master Dorak in KOTOR III. Then that whole conversation after you describe the Jedi Masters on Coruscant sounds like a horrible rough draft of the exile talking to any of the Jedi Masters in KOTOR II. And if the new main charater is a soldier, scoundrel or scout, WHY are they calling him/her a child?!

Part 3

--------

you come across a young Rodian woman being attacked by Jungle Wraids

You can't be serious... like, desert wraids from Tatooine, except now they're jungle wraids on a planet that doesn't even have a jungle. I think they can come up with better creatures than palette swaps of ones they've already created.

Part 3

--------

After fighting and defeating the creatures, the Rodian (Yula) begins pestering you with curiosity and finally asks if she can come with you and help you to repay the debt (

Some good points there.

Well, Obi-Wan used the name Ben in the movies. Max, Mike and Martin I agree with you on though.

The Master Dorak thing was kind of pointed out on the BioWare forums as has the KoTOR 1-ish intro.

And for the record:

http://forums.obsidianent.com/index.php?sh...ic=35628&st=105

Has part six.

http://forums.obsidianent.com/index.php?sh...ic=35628&st=150

Has part seven.

I think I could easily work the Outcast villager into my beginning.  Still waiting for Darque's middle :)"

My what? :angry: :p

I wrote the beginning, Ender wrote the end, and we bestowed you with the honour of writing the middle.

We figure the middle is where the people would like the love story stuff anyways ;)

Let's see...

The middle....

Bastilla appears suddenly and slaughters a village full of Ewoks, then puts Jar Jar's head on a pike. And kills Ghost of Anakin just for the XP.

Back to you Alanschu

It even relates to the original KOTOR by having Bastila.

I'll admit, when I hear "love story" I don't usually think of slaughtering Ewoks, nor impaling Jar-Jar.....although GoA death DOES seem to work.

Redefining the love story, taking the world by storm: DarqueEnderAllan