Kotor 3: Ideas and Suggestions

So... thats what Lucasarts was doing- in not finishing the plot they made everyone not care about the graphic,etc in KOTOR3 and only care about a good solid plot that ends- evil but extremly clever. Lucasarts saves money on not developing a graphics engine and everyone is so happy to see a completed plot they don't care. everyone wins... especially Lucusarts

or maybe im just too cynical (w00t)

I think that they should take this in the direction of something like pokemon. what i mean is that the pokemon games have two different versions for each story they come up with right? so i think they should make a light side version and a darkside version for kotor3. what version you choose is based on what side you chose revan and the exile to take and have the two versions of the story be completely different from eachother rather then having both sides intertwined as one story.

Though I don't have a problem with that, I very doubt it will happen. To expect the devs (whoever they will be) to essentially write two games and sell them for the price of one seems unrealistic to me. Unfortunately.

It starts with your selected customized character in the chambers of a Jedi Master.  Your young padawan is kneeling before your master, and it being "tested" on knowledge as part of your training.  I'm assuming any good Jedi training would require knowledge history and past Jedi related events etc. so your master is asking you a series of questions about the past.  He/she asked you about the mandalorian wars, the Jedi Civil Wat, Malek and Revan, The Exile and Telos and the reconstruction of Dantooine, and all that fun stuff.  Here is the perfect opportunity to set up all the necessary events from the previous two games.  Your answers to your masters questions will determine the outcomes of the previous games, similarly to the Atton Rand meeting in KOTOR II, although this would be much more obvious to new players of the game.

Yeah, I had pretty much the same idea, except mine was in the jedi temple on Coruscant during a history class, which, if you choose light side for the Exile, turns out to be taught by the Handmaiden...

I really want to see the Exile's companions teach jedi. Atton would train mental resistances, Bao-Dur how to make lightsabers, etc. But only if the Exile is set to light side, of course. If not, these should all be replaced by generic NPCs. These could speak "non-human", which doesn't require different voice-acting - quarrens, twi-leks, ithorians, duros, rodians, sullustans, maybe even mon calamari and zabrak. These could all replace the Exile's companions, if dark sided. But if light sided I want them there as per Kreia's revelantion that were 'the lost jedi'.

Though I don't have a problem with that, I very doubt it will happen. To expect the devs (whoever they will be) to essentially write two games and sell them for the price of one seems unrealistic to me. Unfortunately.

You dont. You sell each version as a seperate game.

If it did follow the Pokemon model it would be something like.

KOTOR Sith Red

KOTOR Jedi Blue

Then a couple of years later a new version would be released that combined both games into one bigger game and tossed in some extra features just for good measure.

I have to agree with Volourn.  Bioware is pretty much dead now.  Deals like this kills development studios.

478327[/snapback]

You dont. You sell each version as a seperate game.

If it did follow the Pokemon model it would be something like.

KOTOR Sith Red

KOTOR Jedi Blue

Then a couple of years later a new version would be released that combined both games into one bigger game and tossed in some extra features just for good measure.

Yes, but that just brings about the problem that the games will be competing with each other. The number potential customers is not going to grow simply because they write two games, and most people will still play only one side. Given how the poll of how people have played the KotOR games turned out, only the Jedi-version is likely to make some profit, and then only marginally so.

So that doesn't strike me as a good idea either.

And just think of all the wars it will spawn on the forum as to which is the "true" one :-

Yes, but that just brings about the problem that the games will be competing with each other. The number potential customers is not going to grow simply because they write two games, and most people will still play only one side. Given how the poll of how people have played the KotOR games turned out, only the Jedi-version is likely to make some profit, and then only marginally so.

So that doesn't strike me as a good idea either.

And just think of all the wars it will spawn on the forum as to which is the "true" one  :)

Well just because it works for Pokemon dosnt mean that it would work for KOTOR. Both Pokemon games (green and red) are still in the top 10 so they must be doing something right.

It's still possible to turn out two very different games (by rewriting the key scenes) without expending anywhere close to the effort/cost of a new game. The trick is to make them different enough so that people will want both, but at the same time not getting so into it that you push the costs up.

Well that just be one in a long line of silly arguements. As long as the cash tills kept ringing who really cares?

I have to agree with Volourn.  Bioware is pretty much dead now.  Deals like this kills development studios.

478327[/snapback]

I think that they should take this in the direction of something like pokemon. what i mean is that the pokemon games have two different versions for each story they come up with right? so i think they should make a light side version and a darkside version for kotor3. what version you choose is based on what side you chose revan and the exile to take and have the two versions of the story be completely different from eachother rather then having both sides intertwined as one story.

If this is to be a major, multi-sequeled franchise like FF then having a true DS path is absolutely essential, IMO. As I have stated many times before, the DS path is little more than a joke right now...at best, you are the ANTI-HERO if you go DS.

Now, there might be a way to do it without going to 2 shrinkwraps. Have it so where there are 12 worlds on your astrocharts...you only visit 8. There are 4 worlds that are shared between both paths while the other 4 are contingent on what your stated path is (the alignment barometer would not be the best way to determine which path your are on...you would have to "lock in" pretty early).

And just because you don't have to visit a certain world doesn't mean you can't go there...you just don't get the main story triggers if it is a world outside your path.

As far as which story really happened? That is a no-brainer. The LS victory is always the one LFL will go with. However, this is less of an issue anyway if we don't get another pregen. The Exile gave us more control of our backstory....hopefully, next time, we will get even more.

If this is to be a major, multi-sequeled franchise like FF then having a true DS path is absolutely essential, IMO.  As I have stated many times before, the DS path is little more than a joke right now...at best, you are the ANTI-HERO if you go DS.

Now, there might be a way to do it without going to 2 shrinkwraps.  Have it so where there are 12 worlds on your astrocharts...you only visit 8.  There are 4 worlds that are shared between both paths while the other 4 are contingent on what your stated path is (the alignment barometer would not be the best way to determine which path your are on...you would have to "lock in" pretty early). 

And just because you don't have to visit a certain world doesn't mean you can't go there...you just don't get the main story triggers if it is a world outside your path.

As far as which story really happened?  That is a no-brainer.  The LS victory is always the one LFL will go with.  However, this is less of an issue anyway if we don't get another pregen.  The Exile gave us more control of our backstory....hopefully, next time, we will get even more.

I like your shared-and-excluded planet concept, but I don't see the need for an alignment barometer to configure the access.

Why not just have some planets as inaccessible for extremes (as you outlined), but not restrict PCs from travelling to them should they redeem / fall far enough in the mean time. Then you don't have to "lock in", and those who can be bothered can actually unlock further gameplay.

I would also want to see some sort of via media, too. Why can't the Grey DS be an option? After all, it's harder to be grey than either DS or LS, as you get none of the Mastery bonuses and almost all the penalties ...

OBSCVRVM PER OBSCVRIVS ET IGNOTVM PER IGNOTIVS

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

Now, there might be a way to do it without going to 2 shrinkwraps.  Have it so where there are 12 worlds on your astrocharts...you only visit 8.  There are 4 worlds that are shared between both paths while the other 4 are contingent on what your stated path is (the alignment barometer would not be the best way to determine which path your are on...you would have to "lock in" pretty early). 

At best I think you would get one dedicated world,it's more cost/time effective to make less bigger worlds than smaller unique worlds since you can recycle a lot of the art and models. Makes for a good selling point though.

If you did do KOTOR in a similiar way to Pokemon then having one dedicated world to each package (along with the unique stuff and a unique NPC or two would be one way to do it).

I don't think KOTOR is ever going to compare to FF. FF dosnt have a set world, FF also dosnt have a set rule system. They may share the name Final Fantasy but the games themselves are quite different.

478327[/snapback]

At best I think you would get one dedicated world,it's more cost/time effective to make less bigger worlds than smaller unique worlds since you can recycle a lot of the art and models. Makes for a good selling point though.

If you did do KOTOR in a similiar way to Pokemon then having one dedicated world to each package (along with the unique stuff and a unique NPC or two would be one way to do it).

Actually, that would work for me. Maybe the smaller packages would be easier to manage, so we would get more regular, higher quality and interchangeable games planets ...

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

I would also want to see some sort of via media, too. Why can't the Grey DS be an option? After all, it's harder to be grey than either DS or LS, as you get none of the Mastery bonuses and almost all the penalties ...

Well, the DS path should be about the conquest of the Republic. In order to obtain this objective, you can cooperate with the Sith, pretend to cooperate with the Sith or even cooperate with another DS faction such as the Krath. But it all leads to the same thing: conquering or weaking the Republic.

The LS path is, of course, pro-Republic. The problem with there being a "neutral" path is that this would also be pro-Republic. Perhaps there could be some special way to play a neutral path (such as an Ithorian priest)....but that reminds me, non-human PCs are a must!

Well, the DS path should be about the conquest of the Republic. In order to obtain this objective, you can cooperate with the Sith, pretend to cooperate with the Sith or even cooperate with another DS faction such as the Krath. But it all leads to the same thing: conquering or weaking the Republic.

The LS path is, of course, pro-Republic. The problem with there being a "neutral" path is that this would also be pro-Republic. Perhaps there could be some special way to play a neutral path (such as an Ithorian priest)....but that reminds me, non-human PCs are a must!

Not necessarily. A grey FS might see a corrupt and failing Republic as worthy of being replaced, and perhaps use the invading Sith as a mechanism to facilitate the "management change". In that instance, neither the Republic nor the Sith would win, but a "third way", a revitalised Republic.

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

Not necessarily. A grey FS might see a corrupt and failing Republic as worthy of being replaced, and perhaps use the invading Sith as a mechanism to facilitate the "management change". In that instance, neither the Republic nor the Sith would win, but a "third way", a revitalised Republic.

I'm for that...but I'm not getting my hopes up. :D

Hi, mind if I join the conversation?

Didn't Jade Empire have Three Different Endings? From what I hear (I don't hear much) they were all pretty good.

Different planets for different paths sounds good but it would be hell to try to do them all. It would take three run throughs. (Awesome Replay though)

I am terribly sorry if this has already been discussed and the suggestion eliminated but wouldn't make more sense if you spend more time in the Sith Empire than in the Republic? I mean that was all the last conversation was about, that way you could connect the first and second stories and the ending (or lack there of) of The Sith Lords make more sense.

I am terribly sorry if this has already been discussed and the suggestion eliminated but wouldn't make more sense if you spend more time in the Sith Empire than in the Republic? I mean that was all the last conversation was about, that way you could connect the first and second stories and the ending (or lack there of) of The Sith Lords make more sense.

I think it would be an interesting idea to set the story in the Sith Empire :rolleyes: . However, I get the feeling the developers like to use familiar planets from earlier games or the movies in order to generate interest among potential purchasers. Still, it should be possible to end the game with a showdown on Coruscant or something like that.

Kreia's final conversation was talking about the True Sith - who knows exactly what that means, but it seems to be something above and beyond the Sith Empire that Revan/Malak took control of. I think the regular Sith Empire would be a much more interesting place to explore than some 'True Sith' whatever beyond the Outer Rim.

"An electric puddle is not what I need right now." (Nina Kalenkov)

Set the story in the sith empire and make the jedi an actual outlaw. Also I would like to see the town's be done like they are in Fable. Where if you kill sombody you get trhown in jail or fined an exuberant amount of money. Course having a Republic insignia on your rear might be fun...

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

I like this idea in general. The idea that there are worlds (or areas) specific to an alignment that will vastly change the play through of each game. The only problem with this is the time it would take, and the difficulty it would present in implementing it. But I'm all for it if a developer thinks they can handle it right.

"Console exclusive is such a harsh word." - Darque

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)

Hi, mind if I join the conversation?

Didn't Jade Empire have Three Different Endings? From what I hear (I don't hear much) they  were all pretty good.

Different planets for different paths sounds good but it would be hell to try to do them all. It would take three run throughs. (Awesome Replay though)

Hi, welcome to the boards. :thumbsup:

You make a good point (I think it was mentioned about thread one or two, but in all the bantering back and forth in the seven threads since then, I see no problem with bringing our attention to it again, now).

It depends on the plot, of course, but if the intention is to link the plots of K1 and K2 together, then it really only makes sense to set the next game mainly beyond the Outer Rim worlds.

Set the story in the sith empire and make the jedi an actual outlaw. Also I would like to see the town's be done like they are in Fable. Where if you kill sombody you get trhown in jail or fined an exuberant amount of money. Course having a Republic insignia on your rear might be fun...

I would like that setting; especially if it took on the perspective of a first-person French / Dutch resistance fighter of WW2 ...

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

Now that I have seen so many people talking about that Revan / the Exile can't be the PC because they were to powerful, does it even bother anyone that T3-M4 starts at level 3 in Kotor II?

And Bastila starts at level 4 I believe in Kotor I. How could she have led the Jedi Strike team to capture Darth Revan and beat at least one dark Jedi on that low level?!

Okay, the Black Vulkars captured Bastila without much of a struggle and loosing lightsabers is a side affect of Bastila's Battle Meditation :)

Master Vandar lives!

Now that I have seen so many people talking about that Revan / the Exile can't be the PC because they were to powerful, does it even bother anyone that T3-M4 starts at level 3 in Kotor II?

And Bastila starts at level 4 I believe in Kotor I. How could she have led the Jedi Strike team to capture Darth Revan and beat at least one dark Jedi on that low level?!

Okay, the Black Vulkars captured Bastila without much of a struggle and loosing lightsabers is a side affect of Bastila's Battle Meditation  :)

Yes, although less so with droids.

Not as much as having to play the same character over from level 1 again though.

She had just crashed in a pod. Although that dosnt change her level. Btw dont the levels change depending on the level of the PC when you find them?

478327[/snapback]

I guess perhaps to just be devil's advocate, but maybe because I liked the idea:

MORE INFLUENCE

I want to not be able to be friends with everybody. I WANT to have people only open up with me if they trust me. I WANT a more fleshed out influence system