Best Games Ever

Generic effects is the price of a construction kit approach. I've always felt D&D had too many spells that did the same thing as it is anyway.

Being able to make your own spells is nice, but there is a limit on how many are actually useful and how many you make just to see what you can make.

I have to agree with Volourn.  Bioware is pretty much dead now.  Deals like this kills development studios.

478327[/snapback]

You suggest that the only unique spells are lightning damage/fire damage, etc. I suggest you haven't really played the game.

Flying, levitation, attribute boosting, attribute drain, fatigue drain, fatigue boost, health drain, health boost, water breathing, summon creature, conjure item, etc. all count as unique effects.

I think I counted 26 unique effects.

I think if you really break down a good percent of D&D spells there are the same thing. How many spells are summoning, illusion, damage/evocation, or conjuration spells? The only difference between one damage spell and another often merely is duration, target, damage, element, etc.

Given that Morrowind had as many unique spells as any other CRPG, but thousands more combinations, I'd say you can't really bad on the system.

You suggest that the only unique spells are lightning damage/fire damage, etc.  I suggest you haven't really played the game.

To answer the first assessment, no, I do not. You're simply "reading between the lines", and doing so in a rather inacurrate manner to boot.

Regarding your second assessment, you're dead wrong. Completed both expansions with numerous characters, and spent a few too many weekends with that game than what I would have wanted to, in hindsight. :thumbsup:

Flying, levitation, attribute boosting, attribute drain, fatigue drain, fatigue boost, health drain, health boost, water breathing, summon creature, conjure item, etc. all count as unique effects.

Yes, they do. And D&D has those effects, and more. Many more. Especially if you expand your horizons beyond the PHB.

Here's some spells from BG2 with unique effects not mentioned above, for example:

Timestop.

Simulacrum.

Spell trigger.

Spell Sequencer.

Stoneskin.

Skull Trap.

Polymorph Other/Self.

Any continous AoE spell.

Mirror Image.

Improved Alacricity.

Imprisonment.

Disintegrate/Finger of Death/Power Word: Die and similar spells.

And finally... Goodberries, the best spell in the saga.

Given that Morrowind had as many unique spells as any other CRPG,

This assessment is faulty, regardless of wheter you choose to count summoning spells in a single category (Gate and Summon creature IX being the same thing) or not.

"McDonald's taste damn good. I'd rtahe reat their wonderful food then the poisonous junk you server in your house that's for sure.

What's funny is I'm not fat. In fact, I'm skinny. Though I am as healthy as cna be. Outside of being very ugly, and the common cold once in the blue moon I simply don't get sick."

- Volourn, Slayer of Yrkoon!

"I want a Lightsaber named Mr. Zappy" -- Darque

"I'm going to call mine Darque. Then I can turn Darque on anytime I want." -- GhostofAnakin

You suggest that the only unique spells are lightning damage/fire damage, etc.  I suggest you haven't really played the game.

To answer the first assessment, no, I do not. You're simply "reading between the lines", and doing so in a rather inacurrate manner to boot.

Regarding your second assessment, you're dead wrong. Completed both expansions with numerous characters, and spent a few too many weekends with that game than what I would have wanted to, in hindsight. :(

Yes, they do. And D&D has those effects, and more. Many more. Especially if you expand your horizons beyond the PHB.

Here's some spells from BG2 with unique effects not mentioned above, for example:

Timestop.

Simulacrum.

Spell trigger.

Spell Sequencer.

Stoneskin.

Skull Trap.

Polymorph Other/Self.

Any continous AoE spell.

Mirror Image.

Improved Alacricity.

Imprisonment.

Disintegrate/Finger of Death/Power Word: Die and similar spells.

And finally... Goodberries, the best spell in the saga.

Given that Morrowind had as many unique spells as any other CRPG,

This assessment is faulty, regardless of wheter you choose to count summoning spells in a single category (Gate and Summon creature IX being the same thing) or not.

And don't forget Summon Familiar! :cool:

OBSCVRVM PER OBSCVRIVS ET IGNOTVM PER IGNOTIVS

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

Compare D&D magic.

D&D has spells that englarge, levitate, shrink, conjure items, summon creatures, damage, etc.

Overall, the Player's Guide probably only has say 40 unique spell effects.  Most CRPGs don't really have more than 20.

Morrowind had something like 20 truly unique main effects.  However you can modify if the spell effects an area, a target, self, etc.  You can modify if the spell is instant, duration, etc.  You can modify if the spell does static or ranged damage.  You can modify elemental attributes.  It can drain life, or regen life.  Then add the truly unique affects like levitation, summoning, conjuring, enchanting, etc.

To say there are only a dozen effects is really a folly.

I have to agree with Ender here, Morrowind was nothing short of fantastic.

Most games use the same things but with different flavorings.

Fire

Fire 2

Fire 3

CORRECTED.

Go play Final Fantasy 3/6 :-

I was correcting my post not yours.

I had

Fira

Firaga and one I couldnt remember. Which of course was because the first one is still called Fire.

I have to agree with Volourn.  Bioware is pretty much dead now.  Deals like this kills development studios.

478327[/snapback]

Fire Cast multiple Fire spells initially learned

Thunder Cast multiple Thunder spells initially learned

Water Cast multiple Water spells initially learned

Blizzard Cast multiple Blizzard spells initially learned

Fira Cast multiple Fira spells Learn Fira

Thundara Cast multiple Thundara spells Learn Thundara

Watera Cast multiple Watera spells Learn Watera

Blizzara Cast multiple Blizzara spells Learn Blizzara

Firaga Cast multiple Firaga spells Learn Firaga

Thundaga Cast multiple Thundaga spells Learn Thundaga

Waterga Cast multiple Waterga spells Learn Waterga

Blizzaga Cast multiple Blizzaga spells Learn Blizzaga

Bio Cast multiple Bio spells Learn Bio

Demi Cast multiple Demi spells Learn Demi

Death Cast multiple Death spells Learn Death

Drain Cast multiple Drain spells Learn Drain

Osmose Cast multiple Osmose spells Learn Osmose

Flare Cast multiple Flare spells Learn Flare

Ultima Cast multiple Ultima spells Learn Ultima

478327[/snapback]

Exactly. Whether it is "Fireball" or "Flame dart" or "Flame arrow" or "Inferno", it always basically has the same incediary results.

Yes, obviously. And Morrowind is so different because... uh... you can cast said generic spell and then proceed to cast another similarly generic spell AT THE SAME TIME.

Who would have thunk it?

"McDonald's taste damn good. I'd rtahe reat their wonderful food then the poisonous junk you server in your house that's for sure.

What's funny is I'm not fat. In fact, I'm skinny. Though I am as healthy as cna be. Outside of being very ugly, and the common cold once in the blue moon I simply don't get sick."

- Volourn, Slayer of Yrkoon!

"I want a Lightsaber named Mr. Zappy" -- Darque

"I'm going to call mine Darque. Then I can turn Darque on anytime I want." -- GhostofAnakin

Ender, what do you like so much about MW?

I thought the spell creation was well done. The fac that you could create your own magic items, and make unlimited power ones, was a real benefit. Ditto with Darque's "uzi".

But, as Tingling says, that has little to do with the arcane magic range in D&D.

OBSCVRVM PER OBSCVRIVS ET IGNOTVM PER IGNOTIVS

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

I still don't see why you needed to get the help of another wizard to create your own spells, even after you became the head of some wizard house (clan? can't remember). Lame-O.

- When he is best, he is a little worse than a man, and when he is worst, he is little better than a beast.

The game has a wizard guild.

And yes the fact that the strongest wizard needs another one to create his spells is quite lame.

My biggest beef with MW is not the magic but the boring linear main plot.

Wiki style dialog.

Boring generic NPCs.

Horrid combat.

The only positive things about MW are the the books and the background.

A nice read,if you have the time.

I will defend any game's magic system that allows for unique spell creation, which is extremely rare in CRPGs. I will defend any magic system which offers thousands of spells, which is extremely rare in CRPGs.

Could they have added more? Yes. And fans can script new effects and put them in with the editor.