The longest journey

Or, you know, it could be another of those times where the QA spent more time testing on nVidia rigs than they did on ATi rigs.  Seems to happen all too frequently.  :thumbsup:

Yes, especially since nVidia pay them to. "nVidia, the way its meant to be played" anyone? :wub:

My ATI card has given me enough trouble for me, Im buying a GeForce, after which I expect TLJ and every other game will work perfectly. Ive had it with games not working on my comp while my nVidia equipped friend just sail on by :angry:

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

Or, you know, it could be another of those times where the QA spent more time testing on nVidia rigs than they did on ATi rigs.  Seems to happen all too frequently.  :thumbsup:

Yes, especially since nVidia pay them to. "nVidia, the way its meant to be played" anyone? ;)

My ATI card has given me enough trouble for me, Im buying a GeForce, after which I expect TLJ and every other game will work perfectly. Ive had it with games not working on my comp while my nVidia equipped friend just sail on by :angry:

DON'T DO IT!

FIGHT THE POWER!

Same thing happened, but in the opposite way, for Silent Hunter 3.

Silent Hunter 3 gets corrupted graphics from water splashes and whatnot while trying to use the UZO, but ATI users don't suffer these effects...on nVidia users.

Having said that, I must be a lucky ATI user. The last ATI card I had problems with was horrible performance on my Rage Fury.

I don't get artifacting, I don't get texture glitches, I certainly don't get desktop crashes or stability issues.

I don't know if it makes a difference, but I also do not tweak or overclock my card in any way :\

I switched from my Nvidia to an ATI because my Nvidia sucked for old games. I used to have ten different driver packs for my Nvidia, where the oldest was something like 29.xx or 30.xx because you NEVER knew which one would work with an older game.

Nowadays I just use whatever ATI releases. And I have no problems whatsoever getting The Longest Journey to start. Do you have the version with swedish or english voiceovers?

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

Grim Fandango: WinXP pro SP2, te game doesnt ask for anything, you just cant climb the belt like youre supposed to. But its not a bug that happens to everyone.

Longest journey: Same, it doesnt ask for anything, the game just freezes up when playing the first video sequence right when the name of the guy who wrote the score comes up(it can strangely enough play the video logotypes when starting the game). I think its because its one frame that causes some kind of overflow.

Try the following (restart the game after each change, and try playing, before making any further changes): In the Game Settings menu, uncheck the "High Quality Videos" checkbox. In the advanced start-up dialogue, disable hardware 3D acceleration. If you've just played another game prior to playing TLJ, reboot your PC before running TLJ - if the first game used the same video "codec" as TLJ (Bink), there may be a system conflict that can only be resolved by rebooting.

For some reason I couldn't play the Longest Journey demo... well, I could but it crashed a lot, but I didn't have any problems with the full version of the game (I'm running on the same windows version as you, and an ATI card). I had two crashes I think. I think I did something to try and fix it though... there's a patch, but I'm not sure that it solves the issues with XP or ATI. I know that there are apparantly differences between the 4 disc and 2 disc versions of the game... there are issues with AA and ATI cards on the 4 disc version of the game.

I think the game worked for me without more fixes than the XP compability mode, but since you've already solved your problem by getting a nVidia card (right?) any further speculation is pointless.

Actually, I just posted to say that I think the game is good and I hope you give it a shot regardless of your hardware/software issues with it thus far.

I have tonnes of old games, and tried endlessly to get them to work on XP. Many were the internet boards I visited, and endlesssly did I hear the advice "Change the compatibility settings" until me teeth were giving off sparks of rage.

My solution was to purchase a bottle of good whisky, and trade it with a friend who had an old computer going spare. It now runs Win98 and sits patiently on a second desk for gaming.

Yes. WinXP (esp with SP2) is not friendly to some older games; and while compatibility mode sounds good, it doesn't always work very well. Not to mention that newer hardware sometimes doesn't translate backwards fluently (Audigy vs. Soundblaster AWE64; and just try to find a gameport joystick these days). After completely hosing up the audio codecs of my last XP installation, trying to get voice to work in Freelancer, I decided I would continue to feed and care for a 500 mhz Win98 machine formatted with 16-bit disc access ... on which the game works right out of the box. Much less aggravation than trying to remember what setting I tweaked when some other app no longer works properly. I also keep a 90 mhz DOS machine, and even that's too fast for vintage games like Wing Commander 1 and 2 without major Mo-slo action. If you have the room and can still find them, these old machines are gold--newer ain't necessarily better, IMO. (And I hate throwing something that still works perfectly well away.)

• 2 weeks later...

Ive got the new comp all together now, am installing as I write. Though I feel a bit cheated because despite the 1500SEK I payed for a "silent" case with padding, its not quieter than your average computer.

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

*turns around to see who's behind*

>_<

Works okay for me ...

*Clicks Link Again*

*Click* *Click* *Click*

IT'S STILL NOT WORKING! J00 ARE TEH LIARS!

You need to download a special java application, from www.haXx0rRz.commie.com

OBSCVRVM PER OBSCVRIVS ET IGNOTVM PER IGNOTIVS

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

I never had a problem with Grim Fandango (on my ATI) either, after installing that XP bug fix official patch that I found on the 'net. I don't understand why some people have so many issues with everything.

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

Ive got the new comp all together now, am installing as I write. Though I feel a bit cheated because despite the 1500SEK I payed for a "silent" case with padding, its not quieter than your average computer.

You need to place the pc in the refrigerator for optimum sound-deafening performance.

Is that a cigarette metadigital? Now I want to take up smoking!

Yes, it is. But please bear in mind that all the characters are already in the afterlife (i.e. dead as a Dalek), and so there is no further jeopardy associated with sucking on the end of a lit roll of processed tabacco leaves. RL people have other issues (impotency and fat squeezing out of their capilliaries, if the advertisements are to be believed). The US Surgeon General is also on record as stating that Nicotine addiction is harder to quit than a good heroine habit.

OBSCVRVM PER OBSCVRIVS ET IGNOTVM PER IGNOTIVS

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

Bloody hell. I installeed it today and.....nope, doesnt work. Either I play it with barely watchable video sequences or I dont play it at all :wacko:

BREAKING NEWS:

I installed the latest separate GFX driver and it works like acharm :wacko: yet again nVidia delivers where ATI fails miserably

BREAKING NEWS:

I installed the latest separate GFX driver and it works like acharm :) yet again nVidia delivers where ATI fails miserably

Errr...you can use different drivers with ATI cards as well.

I can get it to run on my 9800 <shrug> :)

Having said that, enjoy the game :D

This is really getting on my nerves. Whener I look at something like out the window or in the closet, nothing happens, Im still in room view but I can interact with the objects inside.

This is one weird bug :ermm:

To clarify, it loads the interactive script mapping but not its graphic, so while I still only see the previous view(the room etc.) I can still find objects my moving the pointer over the screen at random

edit: it works if I turn of hardware 3D.. but the game looks horrible

edit 2: it now works, it seems it couldnt handle 8X Antialiasing, the problem went away when I set it down to 4X. I havent spent this much time tweaking a game since the old DOS days