Cold Fear

Here you go Darque. Spoiler free (nothing you wont read in the instructions anyway).

The game has 4 levels, easy, normal, hard and one that you can only unlock after finishing.

Visually and in basic mechanics its very like RE4. Graphics are not quite as good but they are not bad either.

You play a guy called Tom Hansen , a Coast Guard who is part of a team answering a distress call from a Russian whaling ship.

Because it takes place on a ship, and in the middle of a storm no less. You have to cope with the ship listing from side to side (which buggers up your aim) and also being pitched over the side. Or being swept away by a wave. The good news is you can also use it to your advantage.

It's pretty difficult to do fear in the middle of the day with the sun streaming through the window and the fountain burbling away outside. But you definately get a sense of isolation , and even early on there are points where panicky people will be unleashing a lot of ammo.

Weapons are pretty standard fair for a modern game. You start off with a 45 equipped with laser sight (very RE4) and a flashlight (which makes it useful even when you have more powerful weapons).

Enviroments are what I would call semi interactive. Some things that you think you should be able to shoot (locks for example) you cant. But you can shoot all sorts of things like the usual barrels, crates etc. Sometimes shooting something enviromental can have some unforseen consequences.

As you move around you find documents which are a mixture of clues(like what blows up) and diary pages and other background.

If you like RE 4 (yes I know you do :thumbsup: ) then this plays more or less the same but with less refinement. You can choose between either having the camera lock on the character or having the camera rotate using the right thumb. Both are quite handy in places. You also have the shove move, and a critical strike where you charge up a bar while being grappled and then unleash a devastating attack. Lot like the kick move in RE 4.

Anyway it's great fun so far and there is nothing that has particularly bothered me. Tad easy perhaps, but then I am playing on normal (which I probably shouldnt).

I have to agree with Volourn.  Bioware is pretty much dead now.  Deals like this kills development studios.

478327[/snapback]

What baley said.

Just two things to add really.

1. There are central ammo/first aid rooms where you can get all your ammo/health back, however they are subject to the whim of story so it's not like unlimited ammo. You still get the usual ammo and health scattered around.

2. You cant save the game.. Well you can, but only at specific story points. This one will likely annoy some greatly. No idea how this works on the PC version though.

I have to agree with Volourn.  Bioware is pretty much dead now.  Deals like this kills development studios.

478327[/snapback]

2. You cant save the game.. Well you can, but only at specific story points. This one will likely annoy some greatly. No idea how this works on the PC version though.

That part is very disappointing. I don't know why game developers still insist on implementing this, especially with the instability of PCs. I know I'd get super pissed if I was at a critical point and my comp froze, making me have to redo a whole bunch of hard stuff just because the developer decided I couldn't save more often. <_<

"Console exclusive is such a harsh word." - Darque

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)

That part is very disappointing.  I don't know why game developers still insist on implementing this, especially with the instability of PCs.  I know I'd get super pissed if I was at a critical point and my comp froze, making me have to redo a whole bunch of hard stuff just because the developer decided I couldn't save more often.  <_<

Like I said I really dont know how this works on the PC. It's not a big deal in a console game really, its just that rather than having save points you can only save at the very start. Once you get the hang of it not a huge deal but its going to take some people by suprise.

478327[/snapback]

I think I won't be picking this title up, really.

"McDonald's taste damn good. I'd rtahe reat their wonderful food then the poisonous junk you server in your house that's for sure.

What's funny is I'm not fat. In fact, I'm skinny. Though I am as healthy as cna be. Outside of being very ugly, and the common cold once in the blue moon I simply don't get sick."

- Volourn, Slayer of Yrkoon!

"I want a Lightsaber named Mr. Zappy" -- Darque

"I'm going to call mine Darque. Then I can turn Darque on anytime I want." -- GhostofAnakin

I'll just steal it from Darque's room when she isn't looking.  :ph34r:

And here I thought I was original, coming up with that idea. Oh well, you steal Cold Fear, I'll steal RE4.

Do we have a deal, compadre? :ermm:

"McDonald's taste damn good. I'd rtahe reat their wonderful food then the poisonous junk you server in your house that's for sure.

What's funny is I'm not fat. In fact, I'm skinny. Though I am as healthy as cna be. Outside of being very ugly, and the common cold once in the blue moon I simply don't get sick."

"I'm going to call mine Darque. Then I can turn Darque on anytime I want." -- GhostofAnakin

And here I thought I was original, coming up with that idea. Oh well, you steal Cold Fear, I'll steal RE4.

Do we have a deal, compadre? :p

Hmm...not sure. I can't think of anything else I want to steal from her room, but I reserve the right to call first dibs on anything if I think of it.

"Console exclusive is such a harsh word." - Darque

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)

eBay underwear sale, coming up ...

If little Ghostie here got his grubby little hands on said underwear, I *strongly* doubt he'd be a fool enough to sell it.

As for me, well... I have no comments at this juncture.

... No-one would want to buy grubby underwear, anyway ... except from a vending machine in Japan, of course.

Indeed. Sick, sick country, that.

And has anybody told you that you're quite the bad spammer, youngling? It's all about quality, not quantity, you know.

I'm still rather confident that you'll grow out of this someday, though.

I am contributing to all threads in a manner that befits them.

:p

I am only drowning a couple of very poor threads that deserve to be locked. The other threads I am maintaining civil conversations.

OBSCVRVM PER OBSCVRIVS ET IGNOTVM PER IGNOTIVS

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

Youngling :thumbsup:

And you are quite spammy, meta. Knock it off will you.

As for the game; pure horror games have never really been a fancy of mine. Some games where the horror is just one of the elements composing the theme and atmosphere, I dig(Bloodlines, Thief 3, Undying), but pure horror games are a big meh for me.

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

It has made me the man I am today. A man who craves furry hentai.

So let us go and embrace the rustling smells of unseen worlds

IMHO, Bloodlines (or that hotel level, to be more precise) wasn't all that scary. Sure, it was a bit at first with all those flying pots and pans and such, but all the times after that were done purely on routine.

The cradle, however, still scares the living bejeezus out of me every time I visit it. :/

Yeah, the hotel level was weak in pure scares. The start had a nice, hollywoodish, chainsaw massacre feel, but when you realised that the level was just going to be a rollercoaster ride of cheap scares, the effect wore off. Still, it was interesting.

The cradle was; disturbing, but after playing thief fanmissions for years it didn't really scare the **** out of me, like from so many others. It did, however, leave a lastin mempry. Scars, so to say.

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

It has made me the man I am today. A man who craves furry hentai.

So let us go and embrace the rustling smells of unseen worlds