Atari in Trouble?

"If its like the first NWN OC then it won't be story based."

A. You rated the OC 75% same as me.

B. Whether you liked said story or not; the OC was still story based.

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

Hey, they've got the 3.5 DM and Players' Guides, etc, for sale there!

Yep they do all sorts of stuff. Sell collectables there too. And they usually deliver a day or two ahead of the UK streedate.

I have to agree with Volourn.  Bioware is pretty much dead now.  Deals like this kills development studios.

478327[/snapback]

That somehow reminds me of that old SNES game made by Blizzard entertainment/Interplay. Oh, the good ol' days, shooting orcs with shotguns and throwing grenades at doors. Sigh. :-

And it sure does suck to be Atari right now. No joke.

I think the name Atari in a way defines complete failure or like being 'Munsoned' - "To have the whole world in the palm of your hand and then lose everything" (from the film Kingpin), i.e Atari'd =]

Yes, but that Atari folded and went out of business.  Later they sold their name to Infogrames, which is known as Atari today.

There name bounced around like a hot potato for quite a while between Infrogrames' acquistion and Atari closing down it's doors.

It's quite the dramatic soap opera actually :p

Guest MacleodCorp

I am not sure if this topic should be in this place, but I will respond to it...

Atari is allways in trouble, but for some reason a small part of it allways gets by. From historical Atari observations, they will bounce back in some shape or form.

Have faith!!! They are a good company!

Good company. :lol:

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

It has made me the man I am today. A man who craves furry hentai.

So let us go and embrace the rustling smells of unseen worlds

NWN is 3D. It displays graphics in 3D. You can place objects in 3D. You can also go up and down stairs. Just because you can't jump, that doesn't make the game a 2D engine.

As far as I know Bioware did fund all their own patches. Kudos to them. Atari is also known for refusing to fund patches.

And I wouldn't say NWN:2 is just Aurora again.

The graphics rendering engine is completely redone from the ground up. That's 90% of your engine. The DM client is getting massive upgrades. The toolset is redone from the ground up. The rules are being redone to only support levels 1-20, and using 3.5 rules.

They're really using very little of the original engine.

"The graphics rendering engine is completely redone from the ground up. That's 90% of your engine. The DM client is getting massive upgrades. The toolset is redone from the ground up. The rules are being redone to only support levels 1-20, and using 3.5 rules.

They're really using very little of the original engine."

Don't make things up. If tyhis were true, they wouldn't be using the Aurora at all. I have a funny feeling that when people see NWN2 in action that while the graphics shall be greatly improved, and the rulese themselves have changed, the gameplay will be the same style as the Aurora.

To say the graphics engine is 90% of the engine is justt plain false. The Aurora as both Obsidian and the Witcher makes say is much more than graphics. How cna anyone take an Ender seriosuly when he throws out such a number like 90% with nothing to back it up.

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

Not having backup for statements has never stopped you.

In any case, what do you mean by "gameplay" will be the same style as Aurora?

I would bet that even if they weren't using Aurora and completely built a new engine, that since the game is a sequel to an Aurora engine game, there's a good chance the gameplay would be in the same style as Aurora, regardless of whether or not it is Aurora.

It's clealy a 3D graphics engine. Whether or not the game is played in all 3 axes is irrelevant.

You can clearly see when rotating the camera the fact that trees have definite height and rotate appropriately with respect to their position in all of the axes. It's fully polygonal, requires Z-Buffers and the like.

A 2D game is a game like Baldur's Gate. Clearly the gamestate is not rotateable, objects contain no depth and are static.

I just wanted to comment on a few of the points touched on here.

In the 'biz' as I like to call it, there is a strange beast called the 2 1/2D (two and an half D) game engine. This type of game engine is RENDERED and LOOKS 3D, but there is no actual data representation for 3 dimensions in the engine.

Doom 1 and 2 as well as NWN1 are some of the most famous examples of this type of game engine. Though any '3D' game where you do NOT have things like 'over passes' with actual creatures underneath is the same type of engine. KOTOR and KOTOR 2 are both 2.5D games.

Despite what some people may think, this is NOT an easy addition to make to a pre-existing game engine. In fact, it reminds me of a software engineering interview question I had once:

Question: Company 'A' has made a word processor application. One of the features it currently has is 'Undo'. Marketing Person now wants you to add 'Multiple Level Undo' to the application. How would you go about this?

(Now there are MANY answers to this question, but only ONE 100% correct answer)

Answer: If the application was NOT designed to have 'Multiple Level Undo' in it from the beginning, you can't safely add it in later. It is a feature that MUST be planned for and added in at the beginning of the project. Adding it in later will require MASSIVE amounts of re-writing and re-architechting and usually end up being incredibly expensive.

I hope that clarifies this subject somewhat for everyone.

Quote: Posted 05/04/05 00:40:48 (GMT) by Anthony Davis

Remember, Doom 1 and KOTOR look 3D, but they are not actually 3D.

Actually, I think a better way to say this is that their rendering engines are 100% 3D. They look 3D because their graphical representation is true 3D. However, portions of their internal game logic operate only in 2D. Hence the term 2.5D.

And the whole thing:

Linky.

This post is not to be enjoyed, discussed, or referenced on company time.

FPS Graphics have for a long time been the cutting edge; the very best available for our technology. This was not always the case, years ago the flight sims were the best, and now, with games like Age of Empires III and Rise of Nations 2: Rise of Legends the RTS genre may perhaps take the crown. There is no reason why role playing equates to second class graphics, other than historical imperative.

In fact, Age of Empires III borrows heavily from the RPG genre, taking ideas like mechanics and progression. For example, experience points granted for winning battles that can be spent on buildings in your home city; each of which, in turn, grants a unique bonus in future conflicts, resulting in custom culture "characteristics".

OBSCVRVM PER OBSCVRIVS ET IGNOTVM PER IGNOTIVS

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

I'd put a plug in for Ultima VII: Part 2...especially the Videos. I remember my friends oooing and awwing them when they first saw them :D

And kirottu, if you look closely, I took the easy way out. I said it was a 100% 3D graphical engine :D