Atari in Trouble?

If I was being silly I'd urinate in the frozen food section of a grocery store and watch the steam rise.

Meanwhile, Will Wright would make an entertaining sandbox game out of it. You have to drink various diaretic drinks, and trying to get your urine warmer to raise your steam higher and higher.

I wonder if being a s s h o l e s is a genetic trait of publishing companies?

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

What is it about Bioware that's made it able to publish its own games? Is it just money earned from successful games? Is it risky even for them? It seems to avoid a lot of potential danger in the developer/publisher relationship, so what's stopping Obsidian from doing the same?

"An electric puddle is not what I need right now." (Nina Kalenkov)

What is it about Bioware that's made it able to publish its own games?  Is it just money earned from successful games?  Is it risky even for them?  It seems to avoid a lot of potential danger in the developer/publisher relationship, so what's stopping Obsidian from doing the same?

Having the field to yourself for a couple of years dosnt hurt. Publishing is always risky but the returns are good and for the moment Bioware are riding high so it makes sense to take advantage of it. Dont think Bioware have actually published anything yet.

Publishing is expensive, publishers have also built up numerous contacts that they can make use of. Generally if you develop something you get paid a fixed sum (and possibly a % depending on the deal) but as a publisher its all about how much you can sell.

I have to agree with Volourn.  Bioware is pretty much dead now.  Deals like this kills development studios.

478327[/snapback]

So it's not so much money that you have now, or at least not entirely that - it's more about reputation and the confidence you have (and your bank manager has) that your next game will sell.

Where's the space for innovation in all of this?

So  it's not so much money that you have now, or at least not entirely that - it's more about reputation and the confidence you have (and your bank manager has) that your next game will sell.

Where's the space for innovation in all of this?

Pretty much.

Not a lot of room for innovation games cost a fortune to make so you cant take too many risks. Thats not to say you wont get any, there just isnt a lot of room for it.

There are exceptions. Nintendogs is innovative and it's a selling a storm in Japan. But they tend to be more open to odd concepts than we do.

I have to agree with Volourn.  Bioware is pretty much dead now.  Deals like this kills development studios.

478327[/snapback]

Bio doesn't publish; but they pretty much finance their own games now. They did it with JE,a nd they're doing it with DA. As to why? Not only do the make games people want to play; they have been on the ball business wise as well.

People keep making a big deal about how much money they have, and how long they've been around or how powerful theya re. They seem to forget that BIO wasn't always a big wig.

All we have to do is look at Troika. BIO has existed for 10 years. Troika existed for 7 years I believe when it crashed, I believe. On top of that, Troika's pedegree in the amrket had spanned over a decade beforee they were formed and that still didn't help.

BIO is awesome because they know what they are doing. :huh:

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

"Atari is known not supporting their developers for patches. Where does that leave NWN 2?"

Eh. They've given support for BIO to release NWN patches. Afterall, they have to approve anything D&D related. I think any support that NWN2 recieves will be highly dependent on whether its financially supportable; not to mention the agreements signed between Atari, Obsidian, and Bioware.

"Here's waiting for Dragon Age."

And, here I thought you'd avoid DA because it was typical 'high fantasy'. R00fles! :D

So where does that leave Obsidian?  Bioware can finance their own support for their games.  Obsidian can't.  Atari is known not supporting their developers for patches.  Where does that leave NWN 2?  :huh:

If Obsidian is smart I guess they'll do as much as they can pre-release, with their own QA people catching most bugs, and perhaps even releasing a beta to people who pre-order (like Galactic Civilizations 2 - I don't know if this is unusual) and getting their input.

I wonder if the fact that Obsidian are developing their own new engine will make it easier or harder to release a less-bugged game.

Yes, Atari has to approve those patches, but Atari didn't spend one bloody cent on those patches. Bioware paid all that work themselves.

I am pretty much sick of high fantasy but when there is nothing else available you get your fix where you can. Believe me if there was a good hardcore sci fi CRPG available at the same time as Dragon Age I would be getting the sci fi CRPG. Out of NWN 2 and Dragon Age however, I am leaning towards Dragon Age.

Aurora is okay for a 2D engine. :)

Harvey

Depends on the day, and hour. With Rabbit, it all depends how much carrot intake he has gotten. <_<

"Yes, Atari has to approve those patches, but Atari didn't spend one bloody cent on those patches."

It take time to approve those powers which takes up hours which means it costs money for the process so yeah I bet Atari does spend money on those patches.

"Aurora is okay for a 2D engine."

It's 3D. People overrate flying, and jumping, and swimming. There's more to 3D than those things.

As for a Sci Fi RPG; I'd buy it if it waa good. Maybe, Star Citedal will be that...

Its only a new graphics engine.  Beyond that it is still Aurora.

You mean the AI, pathfinding and all that will stay the same? Hmmm...

I would have thought it was 3D though - 2D suggests Arcanum or Planescape to me. Pretty is always good - maybe they'll make the environments a bit less sterile.

I would have thought it was 3D though - 2D suggests Arcanum or Planescape to me.  Pretty is always good - maybe they'll make the environments a bit less sterile.

It's not true 3d because there is no Z axis. You can however mimic 3d to an extent by overlapping different meshes.

In story based games Z axis is probably more trouble than its worth anyway.

478327[/snapback]