World's record for reading aloud broken!

Cantousent

My sister and fellow librarians in Henderson NV broke the record for consecutive hours reading aloud. They read the Harry Potter series of books for a total of 100 hours, crushing the previous record of 80 hours.

It was tough work. They were forced to stay in the room the entire time with the exception of timed bathroom breaks. Unfortunately, I was not able to be there, but I am proud that she and her colleagues managed to remain steadfast in their endeavor.

http://www.reviewjournal.com/index.html

http://www.reviewjournal.com/lvrj_home/200...s/26742543.html

Fionavar's Holliday Wishes to all members of our online community:  Happy Holidays

Join the revelry at the Obsidian Plays channel:
Obsidian Plays

Remembering tarna, Phosphor, Metadigital, and Visceris.  Drink mead heartily in the halls of Valhalla, my friends!

Congratulations :shifty: That must have been an arduous task.

War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself.

--John Stewart Mill--

"Victory was for those willing to fight and die. Intellectuals could theorize until they sucked their thumbs right off their hands, but in the real world, power still flowed from the barrel of a gun.....you could send in your bleeding-heart do-gooders, you could hold hands and pray and sing hootenanny songs and invoke the great gods CNN and BBC, but the only way to finally open the roads to the big-eyed babies was to show up with more guns."

--Black Hawk Down--

MySpace: http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fusea...iendid=44500195

Reminds me of the Bradey's tetter-totter world record. :shifty:

Actually, I would like to associate myself with the congratulations as expressed by the above people. Well done! (I'm sure Stephen Fry took large breaks in his official Harry Potter readings for BBC Radio 4.)

OBSCVRVM PER OBSCVRIVS ET IGNOTVM PER IGNOTIVS

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

Impressive, but... Harry Potter for 100 consecutive hours? Isn't that against the Geneva conventions or something? :ph34r:

- When he is best, he is a little worse than a man, and when he is worst, he is little better than a beast.

They did read them all. I dont' know if they finished and restarted, since it was just the reading that counted, not the selection. I have to say, however, that the Harry Potter books are quite large. Even if the reading is pretty swift in terms of the language, you can't really read the words aloud any faster.

It was funny, apparently one of the companies supplied free ice-cream for the endeavor and the public came in and started eating the ice-cream. I don't really blame them. They probably thought the ice-cream was for everyone, not just the readers. Anyhow, after they started "exploring" the sleeping areas of the readers and poking around the readers personal items in the restrooms, the public was invited to stand outside the room and enjoy the readings. hahahaha. I really don't blame the public, though. After all, it was a pretty weird situation. Might make the readers a bit more careful about what they brought into the restrooms for the next attempt. Don't want someone to find your back issues of Playboy, now do you?

Fionavar's Holliday Wishes to all members of our online community:  Happy Holidays

Obsidian Plays

Remembering tarna, Phosphor, Metadigital, and Visceris.  Drink mead heartily in the halls of Valhalla, my friends!

The harry potter books are pretty chunky. So at an average reading speed of 20-30 pages per hour, 100 hours sounds about right.

While I personally find HP to be a little tedious and derivative it has a huge worldwide fanbase and encourages kids to read - which is (almost) always good.

Congrats to the record breakers :shifty:

Julian are you saying you 'liked' the movies?

the HP books are, as flatus say, extremely tedious and predictable...not to mention the most annoying character is harry himself. then theres the dozen or so plot holes.

and no im not joking when i say he is the most annoying character.

IMO Rowling got a bit too laid back with harry potter after the 3'rd book.

interesting...

a couple colorado springians (?) just broke the crawling record. 44 hours or so (not sure about exacts). they had to take their bathroom breaks with one knee on the ground. by the 2nd night, one of the guys was puking as he crawled... he had, of all things, motion sickness.

reading aloud, crawling, what else? very strange all the records that guiness records, let alone those that the people attempt in the first place.

taks

comrade taks... just because.

This attempt made it onto CNN headline news. The library did it mostly for publicity. My sister is the head of technical services, but she's always getting into stuff like this.

I went to her library for the Tolkien faire. I've been there to help with author book signings. I'm going in July to play Dumbledore (however the hell its spelled) for the Harry Potter parade. My brother, who is 6'8" is playing Hagrid.

Obsidian Plays