Name That Tale The Bible Stole!

WITHTEETH

Humans rarley ever have original thoughts. Did the bible collect stories from other cultures, borrowing here and there to complete a book? Here are a few similaritie...

The great flood coming from the tigris River and euphrates always flooded during mesopotamian era, this was not a story but a fact, and also could have been the idea the world flooding.

Mithraism was a secretive religion of Roman times, passed from initiate to initiate, and hence with very little documentary evidence before the 1st century A.D. Man-made caves named 'mithraeum' were the location of the religious meetings, and are scattered over much of the Mediterranean area. (Not a story

Always outnumbered, never out gunned!

Unreal Tournament 2004 Handle:Enlight_2.0

Myspace Website!

My rig

St Valintine was a lord who gave virgins to his knights on every valentines day

Jesus stole a pagan god's birthday.

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

I think they're just a different version of the same story. A viewpoint, so to say. Then again, my critical side says that all mythologies are are so similar because they're so bound to what we are as humans. Inner fears, fear of the unexplainable, fear of death, etc.

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

It has made me the man I am today. A man who craves furry hentai.

So let us go and embrace the rustling smells of unseen worlds

Yeah, and being antichrist has its boni also.

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

It has made me the man I am today. A man who craves furry hentai.

So let us go and embrace the rustling smells of unseen worlds

Ahem the new american Philosophy

"WE COME IN PEACE, Shoot to kill!"

"we will be christianity and disneyland to Iraq."

I think bush said the second one

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

Regarding the flood myth, the fact that every ancient culture on the planet has a flood myth that is fairly similar to all others suggests that it may hold a grain of truth. It has been speculated that if during the last ice age civilisation was sufficiently developed into cities and towns, these settlements would be placed largely along the coasts. Since the sea level would be ablut 200m lower than it is today, that would mean that said cities would be being built far out to "sea". When the ice age ends and the ice caps shed all that excess water, the sea level would rise extremely quickly, destroying pretty much every city on the planet. The water wouldn't cover the Earth, but when his civilisation's been destroyed and there's water in every direction, that might strike Joe Ancient as a distinction without much of a difference. And so when the surviviors finally begin to tell tales of the flood, there isn't much of a leap between "A flood that destroys all civilisation" and "A flood that covers the earth killing everything and everyone except the people and animals in one boat". Recently, there have been several finds of buildings situated underwater in various parts of the world, lending credence to the idea.

So if the flood myth seems at all similar, it's probably because a slightly more realistic version of it actually happened.

Also, I watched a documentary on Moses, and it was rather interesting. It said that around the time of the exodus from Egypt, there was a huge volcanic eruption on one of the greek islands. Being just beyond the curvature of the Earth relative to Egypt, said eruption would be visible by a pillar of smoke in the day, and by a glow and a leaping "pillar" of fire by night. Further, it said that the part about Moses parting the Red Sea was a mistranslation, and the actually parted the "Sea of Reeds", which could concieveably refer to any sea, lake or river in Egypt. However, if it was on the northern coast, and the shockwaves from the volcano just happened to cause a tidal wave in Egypt's direction at about the time Moses got there, the sea would first recede (letting the Jews pass), and then come back in the form of a massive tidal wave (drowning Pharoh's army).

Curious, huh?

Hawk! Eggplant! AWAKEN!

Jesus' immaculate conception - probably borrowed form Greek mythology where Zeus so used come down and deflower women.

I've heard the flood thing being originated in Mesopotamia - the cradle of civilisataion. I havent heard the melting ice floods before.

WHat are these flood stories that every culture seems to have? Many great civilisations sprang from river valleys so that might have something to do with it.

Jesus' immaculate conception - probably borrowed form Greek mythology where Zeus so used come down and deflower women.

I've heard the flood thing being originated in Mesopotamia - the cradle of civilisataion. I havent heard the melting ice floods before.

WHat are these flood stories that every culture seems to have? Many great civilisations sprang from river valleys so that might have something to do with it.

Flood Stories from Around the World.

New Underwater Finds Raise Questions About Flood Myths.

Hawk! Eggplant! AWAKEN!

Ahem the new american Philosophy

"WE COME IN PEACE, Shoot to kill!"

"we will be christianity and disneyland to Iraq."

I think bush said the second one

Aw jeez, not this sh*t again! :rolleyes:

War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself.

--John Stewart Mill--

"Victory was for those willing to fight and die. Intellectuals could theorize until they sucked their thumbs right off their hands, but in the real world, power still flowed from the barrel of a gun.....you could send in your bleeding-heart do-gooders, you could hold hands and pray and sing hootenanny songs and invoke the great gods CNN and BBC, but the only way to finally open the roads to the big-eyed babies was to show up with more guns."

--Black Hawk Down--

MySpace: http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fusea...iendid=44500195

Dont act surprised, people all over the world and even in the US share that sentiment. There are also those whom you would identify with. Accept the fact that neither group will ever see eye to eye on anything.

Anymore bible rip off stories? i used to know a lot more but have forgotten them. I will consult my secret tome of knowledge to try and jog my memotry.

Dont act surprised, people all over the world and even in the US share that sentiment. There are also those whom you would identify with. Accept the fact that neither group will ever see eye to eye on anything.

Yeah, you're right. And I don't want to derail this thread, so I won't start a debate over what he said :rolleyes:

War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself.

--John Stewart Mill--

"Victory was for those willing to fight and die. Intellectuals could theorize until they sucked their thumbs right off their hands, but in the real world, power still flowed from the barrel of a gun.....you could send in your bleeding-heart do-gooders, you could hold hands and pray and sing hootenanny songs and invoke the great gods CNN and BBC, but the only way to finally open the roads to the big-eyed babies was to show up with more guns."

--Black Hawk Down--

MySpace: http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fusea...iendid=44500195

There is no point in arguing against blind faith. That's why I don't understand why folks who have real animosity for the Bible attack it in the first place.

Even if you're an atheist and think the Bible is nothing but fairy-tales, shouldn't it be discussed as literature? I'm not arguing that you should take the Bible as the first, middle, or final word on natural science. I'm really not.

I'm just saying that we could discuss the Bible along different lines. Christians are actually far worse in this regard, in my experience. If I want to discuss the Bible in terms of, say, history, then I get a lot of hostility because I use a different method in assessing the Bible. For many Christians, acknowledging any influence other than the divine is a sin. I think that's unfortunate. The all or nothing approach to the bible overlooks so many legitimate aspects for discussion. Some parts of the Bible are quite beautiful in and of themselves, but atheist attack the package as a whole and Christians defend the package as a whole.

I would like you to convert to Christianity. I'm a Christian and I would be lying if I claimed otherwise. Still, I respect the fact that you are not Christian. I respect the fact that you don't view the Bible as divinely inspired. I just wish that we could have a discussion on some of these issues that wasn't so bitter. If we discussed something like the Tao te Ching, would we be able to recognize the beauty of the work without buying into the mystical undertones? I hope so.

Some books in the Bible are more appealing than others, of that there is no doubt. Still, there is something there worth seeing, even if it doesn't lead to your personal religious experience.

Fionavar's Holliday Wishes to all members of our online community:  Happy Holidays

Join the revelry at the Obsidian Plays channel:
Obsidian Plays

Remembering tarna, Phosphor, Metadigital, and Visceris.  Drink mead heartily in the halls of Valhalla, my friends!

I just want to point out that the Bible was first written for people at that time. Even though the Bible was declared to be the words of the all-knowing God, it would not explain facts like the science behind volcano erruptions, etc., because who at that time can understand it? If you read the Qu'ran (also called the Final Testament by Muslims, though I would not agree yet), it was written much later than the Bible and much more advanced in its scientific facts. For example, the Qu'ran pointed out that the Earth actually revolves around the Sun way before the European scientists.