Murder most foul

evilhippo

I see nothing wrong with the changing of English according to how it is used by the people who speak it.  I don't see the people complaining about these changes refusing to use Modern English in favour of Old English. >_<"

In fact, when you examine some newer forms of English, such as complex leet, you find that in many ways it is more complex than standard English.

Some words die out, new ones are created.  A century from now the English language will probably be as complex as ever, even if "you" is spelled "U", and "are" as "r".

Besides, when you consider that the personal pronoun is written as "I", doesn't "U" seem a more logical spelling?  :blink:

I have no issue with your logic, per se. I do think we will eventually lose the etymology of words as they change completely into new forms. (One of the irritating things about Australian English, for example, is the patently ludicrous tendency to use British spelling and US grammar -- which is almost illiterate.)

I guess there will always be a recorded mapping of the new idiomatic lexicon back onto the derivations, so I will always be able to get to the true meaning of words (very important to me).

It would also be very interesting if numbers became common parts of words. Using the number 4 to represent the word "for", 4 example, could signal the metamorphasis of Written English from an alphabetic language into a syllabic language. It probably won't happen, but if it did, it would make English the only language (AFAIK) that has ever done this. Far from our descendents learning only 1000 words, they could be learning 1000 syllables in which to write their new English. :D

Hawk! Eggplant! AWAKEN!

P4h r00drz /\ r3-4ckT10nn1nn

500 r5 FM n4 N-GLIZ 1 3v13 N2 h1z

OOZ'r00dz uut3r us 0kk1n70p d'4ccp t1t

Oh my god. (w00t) If that is actually authentic leet, I am truly impressed, as it's the first piece I've ever been unable to read. The only words I got were "Pah" and "English".

Would you be so kind as to offer a translation, please?

Hawk! Eggplant! AWAKEN!

OOZ'r00dz uut3r us 0kk1n70p d'4ccp 717

3D7 DAMN!!! rg7 7 7z 101

Pah readers [of?] reaction in

500 years if I'm in for English one [?] into [?]

[?]roods utter ? ? ? ? ?

OBSCVRVM PER OBSCVRIVS ET IGNOTVM PER IGNOTIVS

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

...So, how 'bout them genders and languages?

Ahhh, there you go, you! It's way off topic. Anyway, if we value competence over gender, then genderless titles are the way to go. I'm not nearly as militant as others on the issue.

To keep it on topic, if one can master the Force, then one is a Master of the Force, no matter what equipment one carries for gentic reproduction (soemthing the Jedi aren't supposed to do anyhow).

The above is, of course, just my opinion,

Cloris

Are you a woman? Three of the five letters that make up your description are M. A. N. You're too dependant on men Cloris.

OOZ'r00dz uut3r us 0kk1n70p d'4ccp t1t

Oh my god. (w00t) If that is actually authentic leet, I am truly impressed, as it's the first piece I've ever been unable to read. The only words I got were "Pah" and "English".

Would you be so kind as to offer a translation, please?

It wears the trappings of 13375p34k but it isn't. It's what I use for my version of future-speak...but it dosn't sound as confusing as it looks...

Translation (I've added in some extra to fully convey the correct message to present day audiances..err something like that :o ):

"Well dudes, I think that those who say that the english language is dieing, simply because it is changing, are over-reacting. In 500 years, you have to expect that english, and any other language for that matter will evolve; so much so that people from different time periods would not understand what eachother were saying. There isn't much any of us can do about this, so we may as well sit back and enjoy the ride.

Edit: oops, I forgot the 7s. Ha ha ha."

Or if you want a literal trans.: "Pah, you dudes are over-reacting! 500 years from now english will evolve into somthing like this, so you dudes had better just suck it up and accept it!

Edit: DAMN!! Forgot the 7s LOL"

Edit: GAHH!! I forgot the stupid LOL!!!!!!!! :">

What is more interesting IMO is the regional differences will make modern English look like Roman Empire latin, compared to all the new local versions.

Even though the advent of writing has slowed the rapid regionalization of the language, still it continues apace.

Don't more people speak Spanish as their first language in the US than English at the moment?

There will certainly be hybrids of English-Spanish probably becoming the regional language of the SW of USA. (Of course latin stuck around until the Norman invasion of England as the offical language, so English will probably do the same.)

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

I possess.... the awesome power of http://www.google.com !! :ermm:

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

Ok, i agree but in my mind i simply put it down to Americanese.

Absolutely, they are the biggest culprits. I expect American English will continue to diverge from other forms until it is more like esperanto than English.

Arrogance. ;)

Always outnumbered, never out gunned!

Unreal Tournament 2004 Handle:Enlight_2.0

Myspace Website!

My rig

Are you a woman? Three of the five letters that make up your description are M. A. N. You're too dependant on men Cloris.

Nice try -- I am not so easily baited.

I do find the rest of this discussion to be very interesting...

Cloris

For a title, I'd prefer being called by the male, more often than not. Sir, Master, Lord . . . unless it's a specific position like Lady or Emperess, I'd want to be known by the male idiom. Not only because (maybe I'm wrong, but it seems to me) the connotation of a female title usually denotes a more powerful male a position above, but also, male terms are more unisex. There are very few things in the English language that are specifically female. And I think that's because it's in possession of someone, rather than something that stands on it's own. "I own that boat. She's mine." Also, in groups (and I'm also borrowing from French [other Romance languages as well?] so it's not just an English thing) you refer to everyone as male, if it's mixed gender. Male pronouns and titles and whatever, are given to both men and men and women. Female's only get female. "Hey you guys!" refers to anyone, even if the word itself is technically male. But if you said "Hey you girls!" that would mean nary a boy in sight o_O

So as a Sith, I'd want to be called Master and Lord.

As for the man in woman . . . it seems that men are depandant on women. Because without the word woman, there wouldn't be the word man. ^_^

PS: I hope I made sense o_o;

Female pronouns are also used for your country, for example, so it also has that "mother" connotation, probably passed down from the original "Mother Earth" godess that has been so carefully almost removed from the Bible ... ( :ermm:" ) Except for Germany, for some reason, which calls it the Fatherland.

I think we start to uncover the psychological fault lines in our early societies when we talk about the role of women: mother (of me and of our children), virgin, whore, etc; it demonstrates that no matter how expert a female person is, they ain't never going to live up to the expectations put upon them because they are -- at least partially -- mutually exclusive.

Also you are saying that the feminine gender pronouns necessarily equate to the subordinate of equivalent masculine term. This may be the case, but I would argue it has more to do with the cultural mores than any fault with the language per se, and so the idiom can be remedied by a substantial application of effort and time! So that eventually an aviator can only ever be a pale imitation of an aviatrix ...

What did the Amazonians call their officials?

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

Do you know the derivation? Is it "The land of my Fathers", or "My Fathers' Land" ? And do you call Norway, Sweden and Denmark "her", as in "her Navy" ?

I would think it's the same as the German das vaterland which is a neuter term saying "the land of my father", since Scandinavian languages are essentially Germanic, I would guess the same goes here. But I must admit, never given it much thought. ^_^

Also, in Denmark at least, I have never heard anyone refer to the nation by gender. Except for ships though, but that's not what you meant was it?

DENMARK!

It appears that I have not yet found a sig to replace the one about me not being banned... interesting.

Oh and I just want to actually add something to the thread about English; I personally prefer the English way of spelling, as in words such as 'favour' and 'armour' as opposed to 'favor', 'armor' which is a US thing, no?

DENMARK!

It appears that I have not yet found a sig to replace the one about me not being banned... interesting.

You are correct lucius, the americans cannot spell.

US is the largest, most influential english speaking country in the world. It is not a dead language like latin, so its bound to evolve a bit. Get your head out of you ass.

Always outnumbered, never out gunned!

Unreal Tournament 2004 Handle:Enlight_2.0

Myspace Website!

My rig