G4 TV - KOTOR II vs LOTR

Guest MacleodCorp

Points 1 and 3 were correct. Which is pretty sad because KotOR I's ending sucked. And the average reader rating on IGN is 8.7, The average reader review on Gamespot is 9.2 for Xbox, and 9.1 for PC, average reader ranking on Gamerankings is 8.1. So not everyone is giving it 6.5 out of 10. I personally would give it an 8.5. 9.5 if the cut content was replaced and the major bugs were fixed.

Game ratings from Gamespot mean nothing, nor would any from any site that also tries to sell games. I more inclined to take a rating from G4 as a reference point then I am from most places, but then again thats all it is, someone or several people's opinion, nothing definite. Personally when judging K2 from 1 to 10 I'd have to start at 5 right off the bat, 'cause it seemed to be no more then half finished, plot wise, and too me thats the bigger part of an RPG. Adding in a very immersing start to the game and some cool new features and the game is probaly around a 7 but thats being pretty generous.

I guess my biggest complaint isn't that other people complain. That's human nature. I gripe about games just as much as the next guy.

The real beef for me is that almost everyone has a stake in the argument, and it isn't to educate or inform the reader. Instead, the main purpose is to convince others.

Often folks praise a game because they're fans of a particular company. Often folks rail against a game because they are fans of a competitor. ...Or fans of a different genre. ...Or, rather than trying to inform the reader about what a game does or does not do, they wish to impact the market to ensure that the features or genres they prefer don't end up vanishing. Sometimes, they want to ensure that a feature they hate does vanish, a clear example being Steam for some folks.

I think all of that is legit. What I won't concede is that any of these folks (or, hardly any) have only one agenda: to tell the truth. Folks in reviews advocate. Sure, paying for a positive review is worse than speaking from the heart, but neither one is a simple and balanced view of what folks in general might think. I think hunting games are a perfectly reasonable way for folks to pass time. I wouldn't review one because I doubt that I can remain impartial. I simply don't like hunting game. I think they suck, and so I can't claim impartiality.

It happens that advocacy can be quite informative, but let's call it what it is, no matter the advocate and no matter the object of advocacy.

Fionavar's Holliday Wishes to all members of our online community:  Happy Holidays

Join the revelry at the Obsidian Plays channel:
Obsidian Plays

Remembering tarna, Phosphor, Metadigital, and Visceris.  Drink mead heartily in the halls of Valhalla, my friends!

Not to derail the thread further, but I have to agree on the Wizardry thing.  What a complete pain.  The random encounters are just ridiculous in Wizardry 8.  I thought the turn-based combat was fun, and I certainly didn't mind facing a group of nine monsters... the first hundred times, but there was no feeling that the party was actually making headway in the world.  I mean, why worry about invaders from outerspace when the native monsters spawn faster than the average insect?  The world was going to be overrun by random monsters anyway.  A logical twist would be to have the bad guys join forces with my party for their very survival!

...And it wasn't that the battles were tough.  Indeed, it was a tough game, but I was working through the quests.  No, it was having to fight for every stinking inch one way only to discover that I had to fight for every stinking inch going back.  Don't think there wasn't a lot of walking, either, which doesn't bother me as long as I don't have to face the onset of old age before I can make it twelve feet across the damned map.  Wizardry 8 had so many good ideas.  Too bad it sucked.

:geek:

If I didn't make myself clear, that is exactly what I wanted to say.

It happens that advocacy can be quite informative, but let's call it what it is, no matter the advocate and no matter the object of advocacy.

What we need is clear indication (declared or not) of the personal interest in the reviewed product. Fat chancce, but at least we should be able to build up some expertise amongst us at sites like this one and use that to review the reviewers.

OBSCVRVM PER OBSCVRIVS ET IGNOTVM PER IGNOTIVS

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

Points 1 and 3 were correct. Which is pretty sad because KotOR I's ending sucked. And the average reader rating on IGN is 8.7, The average reader review on Gamespot is 9.2 for Xbox, and 9.1 for PC, average reader ranking on Gamerankings is 8.1. So not everyone is giving it 6.5 out of 10. I personally would give it an 8.5. 9.5 if the cut content was replaced and the major bugs were fixed.

Game ratings from Gamespot mean nothing, nor would any from any site that also tries to sell games. I more inclined to take a rating from G4 as a reference point then I am from most places, but then again thats all it is, someone or several people's opinion, nothing definite.

Which is why I took the reader ratings, not the site rating, and the gamerankings reader rating as well. Metacritic's reader rating was 8.6

The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg

Which is why I took the reader ratings, not the site rating, and the gamerankings reader rating as well. Metacritic's reader rating was 8.6

Yeah, I'd go along with that. I have never said the game was trash. I think the game is quite good (above average, in fact); it just overhypes itself due to the buggy implementation and WTF? rushed ending.

It is just so frustrating that this game could have been epoch-starting, instead of a postscript.

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

Its just that 8.6 seems pretty high for a game that ended so poorly.

Alot of people around here though would just hate to see a bad review on an Obsidian game, because of the Black Isle days.

People laugh when I say that I think a jellyfish is one of the most beautiful things in the world. What they don't understand is, I mean a jellyfish with long, blond hair.

The one thing that cracked me up about LOTR: Third Age vs. KOTOR2 was that they said Third Age had better writing and dialogue. I was like WTF?

Third Age was terrible! Absolutely terrible. All you do is fight Orcs Final Fantasy style with no towns, no people to talk to, no shops, no side quests, with characters voiced by the movie actors only because they stick a mic up to their tv while watching LOTR and use it in the game. Its a sad excuse for a game. They brag about being able to play as a bad guy in the game. Well if you go to the main menu after you beat the game you get to go through the same long level with just random encounters but as an orc. YAY! <_< The whole entire game is one long dungeon.

I don't know why people rag on KOTOR2. It's a great game with lots of rough edges.

On Demand is a band of stinkin's rotten pussies! :lol:

HERMOCRATES:

Nur Ab Sal was one such king. He it was, say the wise men of Egypt, who first put men in the colossus, making many freaks

of nature at times when the celestial spheres were well aligned.

SOCRATES:

This I doubt. We are hearing a child's tale.

G4 is the MTV of the gaming world. What a horrible channel.

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

Ugh, as long as I don't have to sit through an episode of Reel World. I hate MTV. I've hated it since it stopped being about music videos and became a channel about nothing... absolutely nothing.

It's not that I watch much TV anyhow, but if I did it wouldn't be G4.

Fionavar's Holliday Wishes to all members of our online community:  Happy Holidays

Join the revelry at the Obsidian Plays channel:
Obsidian Plays

Remembering tarna, Phosphor, Metadigital, and Visceris.  Drink mead heartily in the halls of Valhalla, my friends!

final fantasy - a japanese rpg franchise.

i assumed it was the battle for middle earth cos the thread starter mentioned it!!

Oh Final Fantasy. That's really a Wizzardry clone then. (I never finished FFXLVIX or whatever it was on my Playstation because it was just too silly. I deliberately uninstalled Wizardry 8 and burnt the discs after I had spent about a day on it: the combat was sooooooooo annoying. One group of nine enemies attacks your party of six. Each person gets an attack, which takes five seconds of flashing to conclude. Repeat for about fifty rounds per battle. Then take four steps and have a random encounter and repeat. Aaaarrrgggggghhhh! :angry: )

Don't diss Final Fantasy, especially Final Fantasy 7 as it was once 1 of the greatest RPG's of its time, especially the story and the part where Aeris was killed by Sephrioth (or watever his name was) was, and many people see it as, a defining moment in game-story history.

its the greatest GAME of all time and there are millions who would back me up on that

Final Fantasy is nothing comparised to the rpg finesse of the Baldur's Gate.

HERMOCRATES:

Nur Ab Sal was one such king. He it was, say the wise men of Egypt, who first put men in the colossus, making many freaks

SOCRATES:

its the greatest GAME of all time and there are millions who would back me up on that

Sure, just like the Australian outback must be the best place in the world: billions of flies can't be wrong.

Popularity is no indication of quality. The two metrics do not have a strong association. I never said it was a bad game/franchise (even if it is a bit long in the tooth), I said I didn't find it engaging after hours of repetitive tail-chasing.

It's not so much an RPG as an interactive graphic novel.

You have your views, and I am happy for you to enjoy your love-in with the other millions who like the game.

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

I hate MTV. I've hated it since it stopped being about music videos and became a channel about nothing... absolutely nothing.

Not exactly true

It may not be about Great Music anymore but it's about Beauties shaking their A$$ and supposedly have some singing talents <_<

Britney Spears has such a nice voice that's why they prized her for beeing the best pop singer....*cough* *cough* ;)

"SEX" and "Beauties" (according of course to what most people believe it's beautifull) sells and that is what MTV is counting for

Singing and Great music are second objective if not a objective at all

for MTV

I hope they close these stupid unethical channel with G4 TV also

They are BOTH TRASH and a bad example for Kids and Teens and not only for USA but for WORLDWIDE

It's not about immorality man. MTV is simply b o r i n g and this is the main reason why this channel should be closed.

HERMOCRATES:

SOCRATES: