Kalfears Jade Empire Review (no spoilers)

Kalfear

Just finished multiple play throughs of Jade Empire so here it is.

1) This game is enjoyable from start to finish, However its not on par with KotOR1 or 2. Both KotOR games are still the market standard for RPGs IMO.

The Good!

- Bioware has made a great looking world for Jade Empire

- The martial arts are very fun and interesting to use

- The story line is compelling and interesting

- There is DIFFERENCES in storyline when you play open palm (Lightside) or Closed Fist (Dark side) which makes replay value better

The Bad!

-Game is far to short! 25 hours to COMPLETELY finish game (all quests, all mini quests, all everything) in initial play through. This makes the price tag on JE kinda hard to justify or swallow.

- Lack of Influence system. Influence ONLY matters to the love stories. All other characters you can get full and complete story from by just remembering to speak to them often.

-Game is VERY LINEAR. Unlike KotOR2, you do not actuall have to read anything or even really pay attention to conversations. Yes you will miss a ton of content but the game is so linear that you can NOT mess up its path or get stuck at any time. Many players have played this game like you would Halo and finished it in 12 hours.

- Game is predictable (which is to be expected as its so linear). There is no ground breaking surprises. The clues (if you read them) are very obvious as to what their meaning is. Forshadowing doesnt exist in this game Im sad to say.

-Mini games are top down arcade style ship fights (like Galaga nad other shooter games). Appeals to some people but not to me as I bought a RPG not a top down out of date arcade game.

-Bioware boards. Once again Bioware shows it has the most fanatical fans out there (them or Blizzard, its a real toss up). If you have any complaints or concerns about the game, do NOT use bioware boards. even the Moderaters will bad mouth you! Just go there, post Rah Rah Rah, and leave!

-Closed Fist. Playing closed fist makes you feel dirty! For any player out there that prefers playing a HERO, you will find playing closed fist distasteful to the point that many players have not been able to complete it. I personally think this is a draw back and poor design.

All in all I would put JE as my 3rd favorite RPG in last decade. Above fallout and games like that but not in the league of KotOR1 or 2.

Game play: Excellent

Storyline: Above average

Content Design: Excellent

Content amount: Below Average

Value: Poor (sorry, for a $72.00 price tag, 25 hours just doesnt cut the mustard)

Overall score: C+ (would be much much higher with even 10 more hours of content in initial play through)

"-Closed Fist. Playing closed fist makes you feel dirty! For any player out there that prefers playing a HERO, you will find playing closed fist distasteful to the point that many players have not been able to complete it. I personally think this is a draw back and poor design."

But... you don't have to play as closed fist, right?

9/30 -- NEVER FORGET!

"-Closed Fist. Playing closed fist makes you feel dirty! For any player out there that prefers playing a HERO, you will find playing closed fist distasteful to the point that many players have not been able to complete it. I personally think this is a draw back and poor design."

But... you can play as Open Palm, right?

Sure, you can play as open palm or closed fist.

Just at 25 hours to complete either you want to play both to get your monies worth is all.

"The Bad!

-Game is far to short! 25 hours to COMPLETELY finish game (all quests, all mini quests, all everything) in initial play through. This makes the price tag on JE kinda hard to justify or swallow."

I agre eit's short; but I don't vlaue games really on length; but on quality. Afterall, FO1 was really short. And, the KOTORs - if you don't count Inventory Matrix - are just a short.

"- Lack of Influence system. Influence ONLY matters to the love stories. All other characters you can get full and complete story from by just remembering to speak to them often."

True; though the influence system it does have for roamnces is much better than he KOTOR2 one.

"-Game is VERY LINEAR. Unlike KotOR2, you do not actuall have to read anything or even really pay attention to conversations. Yes you will miss a ton of content but the game is so linear that you can NOT mess up its path or get stuck at any time. Many players have played this game like you would Halo and finished it in 12 hours."

Um. This is true with any RPG including KOTOR2. You don't have to read the dialogue if you choose not do in any RPG. Nothing new here.

"- Game is predictable (which is to be expected as its so linear). There is no ground breaking surprises. The clues (if you read them) are very obvious as to what their meaning is. Forshadowing doesnt exist in this game Im sad to say."

Not as predictable as KOTOR2.

"-Mini games are top down arcade style ship fights (like Galaga nad other shooter games). Appeals to some people but not to me as I bought a RPG not a top down out of date arcade game."

Kinda agree. It's fun; but I'm not its biggest fan.

"-Bioware boards. Once again Bioware shows it has the most fanatical fans out there (them or Blizzard, its a real toss up). If you have any complaints or concerns about the game, do NOT use bioware boards. even the Moderaters will bad mouth you! Just go there, post Rah Rah Rah, and leave!"

Not true. There have been negative posts there not being harassed. of course, if one posts 'this game sucks or this game is too short so it must suck or this game isn't a true rpg' what kind of reaction do you expect?

Besides, have you tried posting that KOTOR2 isn't deep here? Youa re instantly labeled a troll.

Heh. Maybe a draw back; but not poor design.

As for some negative that i think you missed, there's the patheticlly long laod times, and the uselessness of followers in combat. Annoying as heck.

"Above fallout and games like that but not in the league of KotOR1 or 2."

It's way better than either KOTOR, and about equal to FO; but not as good as FO2. KOTOR seires is overrated. Amd, the more people priase them the more I feel like dissing them... but, i like 'em anyways.

"Overall score: C+ (would be much much higher with even 10 more hours of content in initial play through)"

Quantity over quality... Hmm... Rememebr,t hat JE saves you 10 hours of playing inventory matricx with the awful KOTOR inventory.

Anyways, to each their own. You are kewl. :cool:

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

aye, Canadian so price + GST + PST (IE Taxes) worked out to around 72.00 for limited edition Jade Empire.

You shopped in an expensive store. My roomie paid $68.98 for his (59.99 plus the 15% tax). I know, not a big difference, but he was also able to buy a slice of pizza as well with his leftover money. :p

"Console exclusive is such a harsh word." - Darque

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)

Then how the hell is it bad game design (in an RPG!) that you can play your character as a disgusting, vile monster if you don't have to?

Mainly because Closed Fist isnt suppose to be EVIL/Disgusting/ect.

Closed Fist is where you beleive in str over all other things.

Early in a game you speak to a trainer that explains the differences. Closed Fist is evil but its a THINKING persons evil. Yet the game play only allows you to become closed fist by doing thugish non intellegent acts. There is no reasoning behind the acts other then to hurt others. And that is NOT the way the philosophy is presented.

I cant really go into specifics as I started this thread as a non spoiler thread, but ill post a example for you in Volos thread as that has spoilers :p

Basically you just become a zombie who says the most hurtful thing and does the most hurtful act regardless of reason or intent.

(as I said, my opinion) but thats BORING. Its just lazy design to be honest.

"Yet the game play only allows you to become closed fist by doing thugish non intellegent acts. There is no reasoning behind the acts other then to hurt others. And that is NOT the way the philosophy is presented."

SPOILERS

aye, Canadian so price + GST + PST (IE Taxes) worked out to around 72.00 for limited edition Jade Empire.

You shopped in an expensive store. My roomie paid $68.98 for his (59.99 plus the 15% tax). I know, not a big difference, but he was also able to buy a slice of pizza as well with his leftover money. :p

LOL, $69-72, still pretty harsh for 25 hours of content!

Yeah, paying $8 for 2 hours is money better spent. Besides, JE was a longer game than KOTOR. KOOTOR was just 2 games in 1 - the RPG and Inventory Matrix. :p"

"Yet the game play only allows you to become closed fist by doing thugish non intellegent acts. There is no reasoning behind the acts other then to hurt others. And that is NOT the way the philosophy is presented."

That's not true. Look at how you handle the guy by the beahc early in the game. CF; but not evil or that girl in ch2 with the slavers...

err which guy? The kid that asks if his father is ok and you can answer

"yes" no gain or loss

or

"hes in town cowarding like the useless blah blah blah blah that he is?" (and get the closed fist increase)

Maybe I dont get it, but ragging on the kid serves what purpose towards your disipline? A simple yes, hes alive, is all thats required for either the open palm or closed fist followers. There is no reason or gain to insult the father. Its something a thug would do, a bully.

OR

Here my favorite example (one of first encounters in game, the student training in the gazebo).

You come up to this student and hes in AWE of you. Everything he says just bloats your ego.

So how do you reply to get your closed fist increase "you insult him and his abilities!!!!"

I dont know, but why (evil or not) would you insult someone who looks to you like a god? It makes no sence. Again its saying something hurtful just for the sake of saying it. It doesnt have any other reason to it. Common Thuggery, nothing else.

I think people that just got a Xbox sould not complain about loading times ... a Xbox is not a PC.

Problem is when design quests and dont take that in account, as pointed out before the Arena is anoying because every single fight requires moving areas twice.

drakron.png

As for Open Palm/Closed Fist ...

Well the diference is (as the game points over and over if we ask about it) Open Palm is helping people so everyone beneficts as Closed Fist is making people strong so they dont need help.

The problem is its easy to make "closed fist" bully and even easier for people read closed fist replies as bully.

drakron.png

I think people that just got a Xbox sould not complain about loading times ... a Xbox is not a PC.

Problem is when design quests and dont take that in account, as pointed out before the Arena is anoying because every single fight requires moving areas twice.

LOL, ummm who complained about loading times?

just wondering as I dont see that in this thread anywhere! LOL

Eh. They're still long too long, imo. I shouldn't be able to read a good portion of the manual while waiting for it to load or worse even surf a couple of net pages.. :D

Volourn does, JE is his first Xbox games.

This is a bit wierd but Xbox games tend to have longer loading times that PS2 games, not always (DoAXBV have short loading times) but in some cases ..

LOL okies, missed that somehow!

Aye, I dont mind the loading times to be honest.

Course I was a huge fan of the old gold box games and Might and Magics so use to it after all these years :(

Besides, loading screens have good hints sometimes :wub: