Serenity trailer (aka the Firefly movie)

kumquatq3

I hate rewrites.  That is another reason why I haven't sent off my screenplay.  I don't want anyone to touch my baby.

Chances are you'll never have it made the way you wrote it unless either you direct it yourself, or its a condition of the sale.

The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg

Unfortunately, we only had a couple of hours and thus spent it shopping and eating lunch. However, I might get home soon enough to see it on Monday. If so, I'll give a short review of what I thought of it.

Fionavar's Holliday Wishes to all members of our online community:  Happy Holidays

Join the revelry at the Obsidian Plays channel:
Obsidian Plays

Remembering tarna, Phosphor, Metadigital, and Visceris.  Drink mead heartily in the halls of Valhalla, my friends!

It would be the condition of the sale.  If there are to be rewrites the only person who does the rewrites will be me.

You kinda have to actually sell something you've written and have a "career" before you can start making 'conditions' on your sales :huh:

If you're afraid of re-writing... writing may not be for you.

As to the movie Serenity... it was... ok. (now that I've seen it)

I'm guessing you have to watch the series to actually get the full effect?

It would be the condition of the sale.  If there are to be rewrites the only person who does the rewrites will be me.

You kinda have to actually sell something you've written and have a "career" before you can start making 'conditions' on your sales :huh:

Yeah. The only characters with any depth at all in the movie are River, Mal, Zoe, and the Operative. If you've seen the show then the characters are a lot more developed and certain events in the film have a LOT more impact.

Devastatorsig.jpg

Often the overseas gross will make a lot more than your domestic US gross, so don't start crying already please. :(

DENMARK!

It appears that I have not yet found a sig to replace the one about me not being banned... interesting.

You kinda have to actually sell something you've written and have a "career" before you can start making 'conditions' on your sales :(

I am not afraid of rewriting. I have no problems in rewriting a scene or a character that seems not to be working. But it is my work. My world. My characters. No one else knows them better than me.

Often the overseas gross will make a lot more than your domestic US gross, so don't start crying already please.  o:)

Listen, King Beardyface

1. Its not domestic to me - I am not from this planet.

2. The worldwide is the US domestic ($14m) + overseas ($1m) slim chance of it going up a lot more.

3. I'm not crying - i'm not bothered either way but i like to extract a little pleasure from the shattered hopes and dreams of others.

Well(damn, I love to start my posts with that), I found the 9 previw minutes graciously posted before on this thread quite the treat. Not to mention feeling nothing like mister Wheeedon's previous "work". Yes, I see myself as a anti-fan of some sort. Still, I have no doubt that I might go and see this if the opportynity arises. The preview was that good.

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

It has made me the man I am today. A man who craves furry hentai.

So let us go and embrace the rustling smells of unseen worlds

Often the overseas gross will make a lot more than your domestic US gross, so don't start crying already please.  :)

Listen, King Beardyface

1. Its not domestic to me - I am not from this planet.

2. The worldwide is the US domestic ($14m) + overseas ($1m) slim chance of it going up a lot more.

3. I'm not crying - i'm not bothered either way but i like to extract a little pleasure from the shattered hopes and dreams of others.

That's not just King Beardyface, that's a RL photo of GOD himself!

Erhmm anyway, it hasn't opened in that many nations overseas has it? Your avatar rocks my world btw.

DENMARK!

It appears that I have not yet found a sig to replace the one about me not being banned... interesting.

It hasn't opened in the rest of Europe yet, afaik.

Hades_One its good you want to retain control, but the movie industry has a very raapcious attitude towards n00bs. you really won't get any control until you already a household name. If you even get your script to a producer you are witnessing a small miracle. Expecting him or her to respect your artistic vision is going too far after that.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

If he or she wants rewrites I have no problem doing them. I just don't want someone I don't know and who doesn't know the setting, the characters, and the history of the setting poking their nose in it. If it is a person who knows the material, which is there is only 2 other people than myself, who can believes he or she can improve a scene or two then I have no problem with it.

It requires them to know 700 years of history that leads up to the events in the screenplay, but I am perfectly willing to go into detail for them. :blink:

Edited by Hades_One

Don't think for a moment I'm calling you an eedjit for wanting to do it that way. But the reality in the business is that the producers can just decide randomly that they want to re-write the whole thing differently, set it in a wood, with an all female cast 100 years after you wrote it, just because they have secureda grant for a different location, or they have some costues from another show, or just because they are *** holes. I'm only saying this so you do't get riled and make a fool of yourself.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

I don't think an indie filmmaker has the funds to make a sci fi epic that will span 7 centuries. :p

I am considering to do a major rewrite and restructure it as a regular novel or a graphic novel. If I go the graphic novel route I will either need to get with an artist or learn how to draw myself. :)

The problem is which one would be trustworthy enough to see the inner workings of my mind.

No matter what you do with the script, if you want it turned into anything other than a novel, you're going to have to release some control over it. A graphic novel is probably the way to go, but you'll have to lose some control over the visuals. You can describe what you want as much as you want but someone will always interpret it differently. If the story is whats important, just find an artist who's style you think would fit with the story and characters, and let them do the rest. They're not going to change the story, and you can attach examples of how you picture certain scenes to give them an idea of what you want, but chances are a good artist is going to know better ways to bring out the ideas visually and you'll have to accept that unless you want to learn how to draw and do it yourself.

I think going the novel route is the only way you'll have the degree of control you seem to want though.

Devastatorsig.jpg

The problem is which one would be trustworthy enough to see the inner workings of my mind.

No matter what you do with the script, if you want it turned into anything other than a novel, you're going to have to release some control over it. A graphic novel is probably the way to go, but you'll have to lose some control over the visuals. You can describe what you want as much as you want but someone will always interpret it differently. If the story is whats important, just find an artist who's style you think would fit with the story and characters, and let them do the rest. They're not going to change the story, and you can attach examples of how you picture certain scenes to give them an idea of what you want, but chances are a good artist is going to know better ways to bring out the ideas visually and you'll have to accept that unless you want to learn how to draw and do it yourself.

I think going the novel route is the only way you'll have the degree of control you seem to want though.

Yes, and additionally, you need to work with other people's talents in areas where you have little or none. If you want a graphic novel, then you need someone with expertise to help bring your vision out of the written page.

It sounds more like a trust issue then an artistic one, actually.

OBSCVRVM PER OBSCVRIVS ET IGNOTVM PER IGNOTIVS

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT