need help with morrowind.

><FISH'>

I didn't know role-playing meant exchanging words with npcs roboticcally.

Freedom to move is a GOOD thing.

Freedom to move in an empty, barren, boring, and lifeless world is a BAD thing.

Anyone who has played pnp LOVES freedom. MW isn't freedom nor isn't role-playing UNLESS you love having the freedom to role-play being bored.

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

Morrowind is great fun once you get into it, but it's one of those games where you might play consistently for 2 weeks and then not play again for months. Kinda depends on your mood, or if you've got a new game. :cool:

Stealing things and getting away with it is fun, lockpicking is good, the thieves guild is fun. Or break into the house treasurys and get more stuff than you can carry! (w00t) So far I've only found the key to Redoran though.

If you're early in the game break into Seyda Neen warehouse for heaps of supplies and stuff to sell, and if you skill is high enough break into Arille's Tradhouse (the locked door outside). For a cool weapon, when you get to Balmora go to the gurd tower closest to Cais Cosades house (I think it's the east), top floor, jump up onto the bunks, save game, make sure the guard isn't looking and you should be able to grab the 'Sword of the white woe' which is a very good early game sword, if he sees you then load game and re-try. :cool:

Boats usually have valuable stuff in them too.

Occasionally I got annoyed with the lack of character recognition though. Different races might have called you something else but still treated you like an outlander Dunmer, even the Telvanni. I wouldn't have expected that slave Kajiit to be to afraid of my Kajiit to talk to him. And when I played as a Breton woman she still got refered to as a man or boy quite consistently, except when she was cought stealing stuff in which case they called out "grab her".

As awful as MW was it was MUCH better than DF. I'm sorry, any game with flying rats (who arne't intended to be flying rats) and having the same town and the same exact quests all over the palce along with the same dungeons and pretending they're different is piss poor. MW had the same problems; but not to the same degree. :)

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

Morrowind is probably the first game I ever bought that I uninstalled after only an hour or so. There were three reasons:

1. It was too brown.

2. There was a big icky bug in the distance, and I was living somewhere that had a c0ckroach problem.

3. I didn't know what to do next.

However, there came a point, as so often happens, that I'd played all my favourite games to death yet again and decided I would give it another go. And it actually turned out to be a very good game, I thought. I loved the vastness and the feeling of endless possibilities, that you could wander off in any direction and you'd probably find something new and interesting. The main story of the game wasn't very original, but the background story of the world and its religions was good.

The best way to start is to stop thinking 'I don't know what to do' and start thinking 'I can do pretty much anything I like'. Not quite true, of course, but it helped me to enjoy the ride.

"An electric puddle is not what I need right now." (Nina Kalenkov)

Morrowind is probably the first game I ever bought that I uninstalled after only an hour or so.  There were three reasons:

1. It was too brown.

2. There was a big icky bug in the distance, and I was living somewhere that had a c0ckroach problem.

3. I didn't know what to do next.

However, there came a point, as so often happens, that I'd played all my favourite games to death yet again and decided I would give it another go.  And it actually turned out to be a very good game, I thought.  I loved the vastness and the feeling of endless possibilities, that you could wander off in any direction and you'd probably find something new and interesting.  The main story of the game wasn't very original, but the background story of the world and its religions was good.

The best way to start is to stop thinking 'I don't know what to do' and start thinking 'I can do pretty much anything I like'.  Not quite true, of course, but it helped me to enjoy the ride.

If you're still playing, you should try some of the texture packs; they make the game look awesome :blink:

Morrowind is great fun once you get into it, but it's one of those games where you might play consistently for 2 weeks and then not play again for months. Kinda depends on your mood, or if you've got a new game. :cool:

That

Life is like a clam. Years of filtering crap then some bastard cracks you open and scrapes you into its damned mouth, end of story.

- Steven Erikson

hey there. i recently purchased morrowind but im at loss as to what im supposed to do....i just started and im in the town where i was supposed to go =)

the problem is i dont know how to play it because this is the first one in the series i've played.

oh and its difficult to kill anyone or get a significant amount of gold.

Don't listen to the haters of the world. The best way to earn money is stealing from a house and selling everything in it. plus sidequests!!!!!!

I remember there was some very strange goblin in hidden in one of the first towns that always had 5000 gold. The problem in Morrowind was never finding equipment worth gold, the problem consisted of finding a salesman with enough gold to actually afford to buy those expensive items from you. Most salesmen had around 500-1000 gold. Except for that very odd goblin. If you find him and use him, you'll be able to quickly make yourself economically independent.

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

Creeper in Caldera

There is also a 10.000 Mudcrab Merchant near a Dwarven Ruin near (forgot name, city between Balmora and Seyda Neen, it has been a long time)

The best of these 2 is that they give the value in gold too, instead of giving lower than the actual value...

And if you have TRIBUNAL, It's really easy to get gold...

Get to Mournhold, hire 3 mice, kill all these Dark Brotherhood guys in the sewers of the "shopping mall" and sell them... (If you remove there bodies they respawn if you return, Repeat untill rich and highly-leveled...)

WTF? I mean, it sounds like it has a KOTOR 2ish ending. Which means it's abrupt with no real closure at all. That was bad enough in KOTOR 2, but for a game like MW where the world is so big and the game is so open-ended and there's so much expository "dialogue" with other NPCs about the Neravarine and the betrayal of Dagoth Ur, I would expect MUCH MORE to it than what the player gets. But then again, like I said, the game apparently has alot of contempt for the player to begin with.

Watch the Ending before you comment :thumbsup:

BTW it has no ending...only the Main Quest ends you can still play the game :D

IMO, Morrowind is not really *gaming*, it is *immersing*. Sometimes I am up for that and sometimes I am not.

I personally think they should make TES alot more like a MMORPG that is playing single-player. It is already that in some ways but if you could buy property and businesses and otherwise have more RTS/SIM elements to it, I think that would help that kind of game alot.

As awful as MW was it was MUCH better than DF. I'm sorry, any game with flying rats (who arne't intended to be flying rats) and having the same town and the same exact quests all over the palce along with the same dungeons and pretending they're different is piss poor. MW had the same problems; but not to the same degree. >_<

The next phase in open-ended RPGs, as I see it, needs to be spontanaity and replayability.

All of the Mage's Guild (or, for that matter, any faction) quests are exactly the same and in the same order each time. Having the quests and/or the order of the quests be different every time would help this kind of game out alot.

Creeper in Caldera

There is also a 10.000 Mudcrab Merchant near a Dwarven Ruin near (forgot name, city between Balmora and Seyda Neen, it has been a long time)

The best of these 2 is that they give the value in gold too, instead of giving lower than the actual value...

And if you have TRIBUNAL, It's really easy to get gold...

Get to Mournhold, hire 3 mice, kill all these Dark Brotherhood guys in the sewers of the "shopping mall" and sell them... (If you remove there bodies they respawn if you return, Repeat untill rich and highly-leveled...)

I thought it was hilarious that you could hire a pack rat (literally :blink: ) to carry all your stuff.

Actually after searching all day yesterday. I found the Visual Pack XT, which told me to include the Visual Pack 2.11 and Visual Pack_Nature 2.2. These I downloaded last night, which took me about 4 hours considering I have Road Runner Light. I also grabbed the Real Signs one. So I guess I was on the right track.

I

Life is like a clam. Years of filtering crap then some bastard cracks you open and scrapes you into its damned mouth, end of story.

- Steven Erikson

I have recently returned to MW as I know have a better computer and the 2 expansions and IMHO the following mods greatly enhance the experience:

the lgNPC series of mods - give unique dialogue to the NPCs in various towns and some additional quests, too. Makes conversation with NPCs actually enjoyable, gasp! Not all towns and cities got this yet, but I'd grab all there is ASAP.

The "Sounds" mod & updates - greatly improves the atmosphere

True Lights and Darkness - those dungeons would look truly dangerous now and you'd have a use for lanterns and torches

Wakim's Game Improvements mod - adds some much needed balance to the game and fixes some bugs

Aerlorn's Morrowind Enhanced utility and respective mods: Combat enhanced - makes melee combat much better with combos, slowing time, etc,; Journal Enhanced which allows you to actually write in your journal and Blocking Enhanced which allows manual blocking.

To anybody just starting MW I'd advise to grab these mods, create some kind of a fighter/mage character (given the size of MW teleportation spells such as Divine Intervention, Almasivi Intervention and Mark and Recall are a must, and I'd also strongly recommend Bound "weapon of choice", Water Walking, Water Breathing, Levitate and Open) and have fun. Oh, and keep in mind that the first 4 levels are fairly tough and you'd be killed a lot if you aren't careful, but after that levelling happens quite naturally.

What you are supposed to do? What you want. You can follow the main quest - just go to Caius Cosades, give him the papers and he'd tell you what to do. I only advise to wait until level 4-5 before you venture on MQ, because it can be fairly frustrating otherwise. You can and indeed should join guilds and do their quests. Each settlement also offers a couple of quests usually and you'd bump into individuals asking for assistance in the wild, too. You can do some freeform explorations. You can free the slaves. Etc.