NWN: Hordes of the Underdark

I didnt buy the deluxe box but borrowed the main nwn and hotu from a friend. That 30 euro for the deluxe box seemed a bit much for just playing one expansion.

Now, is there anything I should think about when making my character that will help me milk out more of the story? otherwise Im just going to make a basic human barbarian so I wont have to bother so much with the rules and slot-based magic crap(I hate american D&D rules)

And can you play with a level1 character? My old char from the OC is long gone.

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

I didnt buy the deluxe box but borrowed the main nwn and hotu from a friend. That 30 euro for the deluxe box seemed a bit much for just playing one expansion.

Now, is there anything I should think about when making my character that will help me milk out more of the story? otherwise Im just going to make a basic human barbarian so I wont have to bother so much with the rules and slot-based magic crap(I hate american D&D rules)

When you start HotU, you are levelled up to level 15 if you don't import a character. It is intended that you import your character from Shadows of Undrentide, as this adventure is a continuation of sorts from the previous expansion. There are very few to no direct links to the first expansion, though, so not having played it recently won't hurt the story.

Also, since you're levelling up to level 15, remember that there are prestige classes you may wish to consider, which will be affected by your starting class and such.

Hawk! Eggplant! AWAKEN!

Well, no class "get's more milk out of the story" as the story is exactly the same, regardless of class.

"Of course the people don't want war. But after all, it's the leaders of the country who determine the policy, and it's always a simple matter to drag the people along whether it's a democracy, a fascist dictatorship, or a parliament, or a communist dictatorship. Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism, and exposing the country to greater danger."

- Herman Goering at the Nuremberg trials

"I have also been slowly coming to the realisation that knowledge and happiness are not necessarily coincident, and quite often mutually exclusive" - meta

There

Thanks!  I'm not sure if I'd be able to play it, though...no CEP requirement means no cape on my armour, and I'm not sure I can play this game without a cape on my armour anymore.

A CAPE?! (w00t) OMG! I am missing so much. I gotta download CEP. Right now! :D

Is there any goodies like that, that works with Hotu too?

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

Is there any goodies like that, that works with Hotu too?

Sadly, no, not that I know of. But once you've finished HotU, get the Community Expansion Pack, and download the Aielund Trilogy, which is the best set of fan modules I've played yet (Incidentally, the story works best if you're a Fighter or Paladin, so no spells neccessary).

Hawk! Eggplant! AWAKEN!

But there has to be a mod or fortyeight that has it for HotU, right?

..and I havent got SoU so most the fanmade stuff if off-limits I guess.

I've never tried what I'm about to suggest, you understand, but this is all I can think of:

There are special modules that allow you to create characters at levels higher than level 1. You create the character, get as much XP and gold as you want (or an amount appropriate to your level), and use the module's shops to get equipment for your character. Now, at least in theory, if you found a CEP compatible module like that, you could create a level 15 character in that, along with CEP items (Caped armour, heraldic shields, realistic looking bastard swords, etc.), and then import that character into HotU. It might just work. Might.

Hawk! Eggplant! AWAKEN!

I've never tried what I'm about to suggest, you understand, but this is all I can think of:

There are special modules that allow you to create characters at levels higher than level 1. You create the character, get as much XP and gold as you want (or an amount appropriate to your level), and use the module's shops to get equipment for your character. Now, at least in theory, if you found a CEP compatible module like that, you could create a level 15 character in that, along with CEP items (Caped armour, heraldic shields, realistic looking bastard swords, etc.), and then import that character into HotU. It might just work. Might.

I don

I soloed it with no henchmen with a human Ftr 4/ Rogue X who took the Assassin PrC.

Not too much trouble, which is the inherent structural problem with NWN in my opinion; everything has to be tailored so any class can do it.

Saying that, despite my general downer on NWN, HotU is a good, sound XP which does what the OC should have done in the first place. It also looks much nicer than vanilla NWN.

Cheers

MC

sonsofgygax.JPG

I used free-experience modules all the time, during my module playing spree. They definetly work.

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

It has made me the man I am today. A man who craves furry hentai.

So let us go and embrace the rustling smells of unseen worlds

I used free-experience modules all the time, during my module playing spree. They definetly work.

Yeah, the free-XP modules work, but would a character created in a CEP free-XP module allow you to use CEP content in the Official Campagns? Having just attempted it and ending up with a headless, shieldless, realistic bastard swordless, and capeless character, it would appear the anwer is, unfortunately, no.

Hawk! Eggplant! AWAKEN!

Hmm...I think I misread your original post. Good to see that one cleared.

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

It has made me the man I am today. A man who craves furry hentai.

So let us go and embrace the rustling smells of unseen worlds

Well, thanks to the custom portrait and rich options of hair and skincolor. I can now play the game as famous Swedish news anchor Katarina Sandstr

The only way I was able to get any of the CEP stuff into HOTU, was to open the expansion module within the toolset and add the CEP hackpaks and .tlk file. Of course Bioware does NOT recommend this because it messes up any possible patches. I would definitely suggest backing up your originial modules before any playing with them. Even then I still didn't get a perfect transition with my CEP stuff, but that just may be because I have just started looking at how to mod stuff.

Just taking the CEP stuff into the HOTU module without adjusting in with the toolset leaves you with a bodiless character!

Sounds like more trouble than its worth

Yeah, the free-XP modules work, but would a character created in a CEP free-XP module allow you to use CEP content in the Official Campagns? Having just attempted it and ending up with a headless, shieldless, realistic bastard swordless, and capeless character, it would appear the anwer is, unfortunately, no.

Bloody hell. :ermm::(:devil: :D

I just did the levelling up. 15 levels. gah. reminded me of KoTOR2.

..I do remeber something called "cleave" that made it possible to attack mulpitle enemies in the same round but I couldnt find it now. Did they remove it?