Do you use miniatures in your p&p sessions?

ramza

Well, do you? In my own group, we don't use such things as we consider them pointless. In the worst case, if things get complicated during a battle, the DM will make a drawing of the battle scene with every character's initial position and movements. Besides, we don't want to give more money to those BaStards from WotC...

"Ooo, squirrels, Boo! I know I saw them! Quick, throw nuts!" -Minsc

"I am a well-known racist in the Realms! Elves? Dwarves? Ha! Kill'em all! Humans rule! -Me

Volourn will never grow up, he's like the Black Peter Pan, here to tell you that it might be great to always be a child, but everybody around is gonna hate it. :p

If you use miniatures, its easy to fall into a boardgame way of thinking and killing the RPG feeling.

But sometimes you feel like it would be a great idea in soke situations:

Player:

-I try to sneak closer.

GM:

-He turns around and stabs you in the face.

Player:

-WTF?! I was 25 meters away and around the corner!!

GM:

-I never heard you saying anything about that.

Player:

-Well, maybe if you pulled your head out of your arse and listened for once in a while!!

..and so forth and so on.

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

Well, yes and no...

We used to use them a lot more than a decade ago, both to represent combat and to help as a visual aid for our imaginations for our characters.

However, for the last several years, we've only used them occassionally, and then only because we have them.

In most gaming session we never use them. After all, we might as well since we have them, but we scarcely have a need for it. As GM I frequently find it too time-consuming in an already lengthy combat situation to also have to move little figures around, especially if there is a large number of enemies, who will swarm the PCs in any event...

Two words: Lego Minifigures.

Lou Gutman, P.I.- It's like I'm not even trying anymore!
http://theatomicdanger.iforumer.com/index....theatomicdanger

One billion b-balls dribbling simultaneously throughout the galaxy. One trillion b-balls being slam dunked through a hoop throughout the galaxy. I can feel every single b-ball that has ever existed at my fingertips. I can feel their collective knowledge channeling through my viens. Every jumpshot, every rebound and three-pointer, every layup, dunk, and free throw. I am there.

No we almost never used miniatures (haven't managed to get a PnP session together in around 4 years), if the players have a hard time picturing the outline of an area we just draw it on a peice of paper and mark of where everyone is standing atm.

Everything else is simply imagine and wing it... usualy works well enough and is alot faster then moving small lumps of lead around ;-)

I only use them in battles where the creatures the party faces has area-effect abilites. For instance, I'd use them in a battle with a medusa to determine who is in the line of sight.

We use proper miniatures, because I inherited my Dad's old gaming stuff which had a bunch of metal miniatures and floor plans, and because several of my players used to be big warhammer fans.

Hawk! Eggplant! AWAKEN!

Ya HeroQuest, when I was younger............ :thumbsup:

People laugh when I say that I think a jellyfish is one of the most beautiful things in the world. What they don't understand is, I mean a jellyfish with long, blond hair.

• 1 month later...

Due to the lack of (sane) roleplayers in my area, I play almost exclusively online games. As such, I have become accustomed to using programs when maps or avatars are necessary.

And I find it kind of funny

I find it kind of sad

The dreams in which I'm dying

Are the best I've ever had

I use miniatures for the party and NPCs. I use dice for the baddies in battle. That makes it a lot easier as I just use the number on the die to correspond to the number on the badguy. It really only gets to be a problem if there are more than twelve foes.

Fionavar's Holliday Wishes to all members of our online community:  Happy Holidays

Join the revelry at the Obsidian Plays channel:
Obsidian Plays

Remembering tarna, Phosphor, Metadigital, and Visceris.  Drink mead heartily in the halls of Valhalla, my friends!

I use miniatures for the party and NPCs.  I use dice for the baddies in battle.  That makes it a lot easier as I just use the number on the die to correspond to the number on the badguy.  It really only gets to be a problem if there are more than twelve foes.

Don't you have a twenty-sided die? :)

OBSCVRVM PER OBSCVRIVS ET IGNOTVM PER IGNOTIVS

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

I do, but I don't want to invest in enough 20 sided die for both using as markers and rolling. However, I probably should, since they're so cheap. The party rarely faces over twelve of anything, though.

Fionavar's Holliday Wishes to all members of our online community:  Happy Holidays

Obsidian Plays

Remembering tarna, Phosphor, Metadigital, and Visceris.  Drink mead heartily in the halls of Valhalla, my friends!

What kind of party is that, The Accountants Expeditionary Force ? :)

What happened to the good old days when heroes faced endless hordes of enemies and still prevailed :wub:

I don't really play P&P, only tabletop wargames (Warhammer). Now thats something where you use lots of miniatures (sometimes 100+) :wub:"

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

Well, it's true that you use more miniatures when you play a miniatures game! :Eldar'sshakinghisheadwithawrysmileicon:

I've always wanted to play a game of warhammer, but I haven't had the chance. I have played Mordheim, which was fun. It's hard enough getting DnD games going, though, without trying to branch into miniatures.

Obsidian Plays

• 2 weeks later...

I've only used minis with D&D. The game is so specific on ranges, line of site, etc. that it makes game far simpler to arbitrate.

For any other game, players seem content to allow me to say you can or can not do something.

The first PnP game that I played just used a basic map drawn on graph paper and it was easy enough to picture where each of us was on the map. The second game I played used a bunch of random minatures for the PCs and tokens for the monsters, although the main enemies were the other PC's. Gotta love Paranoia. :)"

Other than that most games I've played online have used a map that was updated turn by turn, depending on the size of the encounter. I'm currently in a game that doesn't use a map of any sort except for the one the DM has in front of his computer and it's a little difficult to understand who is where. Especially when there are 28 gnolls closing in on us. ;)

• 2 weeks later...

I don't know if anyone remembers that old Milton Bradley boargame "Heroquest".. But we would use those as miniatures.. Works really well too and much cheaper than the metallic ones.

image002.gifLancer