Revan, The Exile, or a newbie

bubblyofart

If there ever is a KOTOR 3, who would you want to be the PC?  

167 members have voted

1. 1. If there ever is a KOTOR 3, who would you want to be the PC?

• Revan
    • Exile

I'm frankly sick of going through different posts and finding people switching subject to argue about who the player character in KOTOR3 should be. So here, this poll will help allow Obsidian/other game developers, see who the public has ultimately decided should be the PC, without having to read other posts. Of course I've left this open to discussion as I know how we all love to debate.

IMO it has to be Revan, of course his going to be all-powerfull, but the developer can create the illusion of him being powerful. For instance instead of starting with Force shock - Force lightening - Force Storm, we can start by choosing Force Storm and work up from there, all the developer has to do is come up with some newer, stronger, more impressive force powers.

Character-wise Revan has the edge over the Exile, simply because of the romantic plots with Bastila/Carth, and alot of people may agree with me out there. In this sense because there's such strong bond, if Revan was helping the True Sith Empire, cause they turned him or sumthing, Bastila/Carth could be there next to the Newbie/Exile to turn him back, which would be an interesting alternative to fighting the boss/sub-boss. If, like in KOTOR2, we can deicide in K3 wat happend previously, there could be a special ending like Bastila/Carth getting married - i know i'm sad, but i c the problem with Rpg's is that they don't at least have a romantic sub-plot, though most of Bioware's does, as it adds another level of intrigue and path for the player to take.

1- I want Male LS Revan and Bastila to either die together, or live happily ever after

2- I don't want OE to listen to the gamers. If they make it, they should try to complete the story THEIR way. If they listened to us, then the game would end up being crud, frankly (listening to myself included).

Geekified Star Wars Geek

Heart of the Force, Arm of the Force

"Only a Sith deals in absolutes!"

-Obi-wan to Anakin (NOT advocating Grey-Jedidom)

"The Force doesn't control people, Kreia controls people."

Exile he\she is my character and i've gotten used to it :p

right...MOST people who want a returning PC probably want Revan but then there are some who would much prefer the Exile....another reason to have a totally new protagonist.

However, KOTOR III should be all about wrapping things up. IMO, they should go ahead and set the Exile's identity and make him a prominent scripted character.

What to do with Revan? Well, I would refer people to the "Magnum P.I." television show. The two main characters were Magnum and Higgins who worked for "The Robin Masters Estate" in Hawaii.

You never saw Robin Masters and your rarely heard his voice but he was a VERY important character in that series. All kinds of new material could come from "I just got this letter from Robin Masters" kind of stuff.

If this franchise goes on for several games (as I believe it will), then I think having Revan in the role of Robin Masters would be very fitting and would allow LA to keep his/her identity in limbo for a long time.

If you loose Revan, you loose some of the magic. If you bring him back as a PC, you would HAVE to delevel him (which is a device that was already used on Revan and the Exile).

Best to have Revan in the role of Robin Masters, IMO.

IMO it has to be Revan, of course his going to be all-powerfull, but the developer can create the illusion of him being powerful. For instance instead of starting with Force shock - Force lightening - Force Storm, we can start by choosing Force Storm and work up from there, all the developer has to do is come up with some newer, stronger, more impressive force powers.

The problem with a level 20+ Revan is not one of coming up with new ways to advance the Jedi classes, but an issue of the game breaking down simply because the player has just got too much of a HP buffer protecting him from dying.

We've already seen the combat experience break down in KOTOR 2's endgame. For the best if we start over at level 1 again.

Another issue is that Revan's story has been *resolved*, as has the Exile's. Yes, yes, they're off in the distance fighting the True Sith, but there's little point in playing as them again because we've already gained all that we can from being in their perspective; we have already leeched all of the introspective who-am-I, how-do-I-deal-with-my-past, was-I-really-Darth-Revan, what-do-I-do-about-my-Force-wound? from Revan and the Exile by playing as them. Both KOTOR 1 and 2 end with a resolution of the two characters' internal conflicts (a side-issue, almost, in 1; the main plot in 2); not only is there nothing left to be gained from playing as them again and just going through the motions of an epic story with a character that isn't developing any more, but if you added new personality conflicts to Revan or the Exile in order to justify playing them again, it would cheapen the previous games and render their arcs meaningless.

A new character does not suffer from the problem of already having been done. He also allows the creation of a trinity of KOTOR Jedi heroes, working together against the True Sith, and everybody loves a three. Threes are important.

Also, a new character offers us a break from "You play a character we've already partly written, start a new game and allow us to suddenly ambush you with background information you should have known about beforehand." No, it's not that bad, but several people have complained about being saddled with pre-generated characters, and it'd be a refreshing change to play as somebody who just happens to have strong Force ability and the will to save or destroy the galaxy. Or close enough, at any rate.

You forgot the option "Who gives a smeg?"

Man, too many polls and too many KotOR 3 threads.  Man, I hope KotOR 3 is never made. LA ruined the series by not giving Obsidian time to finish the game.

i'm normally quiet on this issue. but i do blame la for the most part. but obsidiant knew the deadline. they did the best they could. some fault has lay with both companies. with that said i think it was a good game. one of the best i've sides kotor. those being the two games i brought in the last three months.

The Kotor III polls are getting old...

But, it had better be made, and LA (being the OPEC of video games ;) ), should recognize the amount of cash they can still get from a Kotor III. Much more, and it would be pushing it.

OE did the best (or close to it) that they could, but they were still forced to cut many areas and cutscenes.

Geekified Star Wars Geek

Warning: This post will probably contain major spoilers from the Knights of the Old Republic games.

I would prefer that the main character of Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic III be someone new. As Blaise Russel said, Revan and the Exile's individual character development had been pretty much resolved by the end of their respective storylines, and it would be interesting to follow the story of a new character now. Personally, though, I would hope that this new third main character not simply be a "nobody" who "just happened" to be Force Sensitive; I would like to see another main character with a relatively preset backstory and/or identity, for the sake of intriguing character development, and an interesting and engaging storyline (which would hopefully continue the series' trend for plot twists and mysteries). (That was what I loved so much about playing as the Exile. Obsidian Entertainment really managed to blend the experience of nonlinearity with actual character development in such a truly magnificent way.)

I wouldn't at all mind if Revan and the Exile reappeared some other way, though, since they still apparently had some role to play in confronting the "true" Sith Empire. Perhaps as NPCs, if the issue regarding their levels and power in gameplay could be solved somehow. There could still be some material for character development as NPCs, after all. Revan's relationship with Carth or Bastila (possibly even Canderous as a Dark Side female) and how Revan dealt with leaving them behind, or something. And fighting alongside Revan again, as he (or she) did during the Mandalorian Wars, could provide material for the Exile's character development as an NPC, or perhaps something else.

Regarding the subjectivity of their classes and specific skills and abilities, though, I pictured Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic III beginning with a "prologue" similar to Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic II: The Sith Lords' prologue sequence with T3-M4 repairing the Ebon Hawk. This prologue sequence would "star" Revan, in some mysterious location (that would be yet unknown to the player until the player would revisit the area later on into the game) in the Unknown Regions, wearing those robes with the mask that he (or she) wore whenever the character was shown in Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic before the actual revelation (or some variation of those robes anyway). At the beginning of the prologue sequence (which would come after the player already selected the class, attributes, skills, abilities, etc. for the main character, as usual), the player would be prompted to do the same for Revan, choosing a class and whatnot, possibly even an alignment. (Like I said, I'm not certain how Revan's level and power in gameplay could be solved through this exactly.) Then, the player would play out Revan's small prologue sequence, throughout which Revan would wear those robes, effectively obscuring his or her physical appearance. After Revan's, maybe a similar sort of prologue sequence could play out for the Exile, who would also wear clothing obscuring his or her physical appearance for the duration. Then, later on into the game, when the player met Revan and the Exile again, for when they would actually join the party as NPCs or simply be there as characters to speak to (or fight or whatever), there would be a sequence during which they would "unmask" themselves, at which point the scene would then cut to a portrait selection menu, listing the proper list of available portraits for the two characters (from their respective games).

Or hell, perhaps Revan and the Exile wouldn't be NPCs in the new main character's party, but rather separate characters entirely in some way that the player would control for certain special events or locations throughout Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic III when the storyline would allow. That way, their dialogue options could even be selected by the player throughout those events, returning the nonlinearity of the characters' personalities and possibly eliminating the need for voice acting for their characters. With that, the game could potentially satisfy those who might've wanted to play as a new main character, those who might've wanted to "reprise" their role(-playing) as Revan or the Exile, and even those who simply wanted to keep Revan and the Exile's personalities and physical appearance and so on subjective to themselves in either case.

Ah, anyway, I'm sorry for the crappy ideas here. I don't know, I'm just...thinking outloud...in text. :-

Revan and the exile should be playable later on, but what about chosing a padawan/apprentice (LS/DS)? we not only need a newb, we need one who will whip Revan's ever-lovin @$$, and beat the tar outta hte Exile.

yes listen to some of the better core ideas that people like, like picking a (character generating your own) padawan, people seem to like that idea alot, and of course, mandalore and a mandalorian army spearheaded by the new order (be it sith or jedi) against the sith empire (which should be better off than any incarnation of the republilc) and most of all i can safely say...

GIVE US HK-47 OR GIVE US EXAR KUN as Kun ain't happening, i mean every Kotor fan wants another shot of smart-ass, wanton carnage, overkill (give us assasin protocols to take out targets, like leave the planet, and instead of you haveing to kill him, you leave HK, and the plot advances when you return)

HK-47

HK-47

cheer!

also, don't forget what canderous said about the mandy wars in KOTOR I-

"... when the sith told us to attack the republic..."

yes, it is a line in the script, i have heard it abour 12 times (glitched back to talking to him)

Eagles may soar...

but Rabbits don't get sucked into Jet Engines

Kinda long... funny, and we do consignment programing

One Ring to Rule them all

One Ring to draw them

One Ring to code them all

The last in the coffe spill edits them...

We are the Elite four, we went to high school together, and code games together, I rule them all (Writer/Designer/Director)

-Big Phil (calls Yao ming short, for good reason...) Draws thelevels and basic area coding

-Manu codes our AI, called latte, not for his skin, but he never stops fidgiting

-August edits our code, still has coffe in his class/company ring, and puts so much spit & polish on our stuff, his spit would flood the whole of Mars

1- I want Male LS Revan and Bastila to either die together, or live happily ever after

2- I don't want OE to listen to the gamers. If they make it, they should try to complete the story THEIR way. If they listened to us, then the game would end up being crud, frankly (listening to myself included).

see im more energetic!

1- I want LS exile and Visra/Mira/Handmaiden. well really I just WANT Visra/Mira/Handmaiden!!!! ;)

2- Oh im sure OE will do what they want, they might look at posts for some ideas but truely doubt they would use them as the guiding format for game :)

Personally, though, I would hope that this new third main character not simply be a "nobody" who "just happened" to be Force Sensitive; I would like to see another main character with a relatively preset backstory and/or identity, for the sake of intriguing character development, and an interesting and engaging storyline (which would hopefully continue the series' trend for plot twists and mysteries). (That was what I loved so much about playing as the Exile. Obsidian Entertainment really managed to blend the experience of nonlinearity with actual character development in such a truly magnificent way.)

I agree with you there, just because we get a "newbie", the protagonist is not entirely ours. Even in Morrowind, with all the options you had available at the start and throughout the game, the bottom line is that you were released from prison on order of the Emperor and that you must deal with a guy named Casius if you want to develop the story aspect of the game.

Same thing here, the story has to be about something and there has to be a really good reason why you are there. I personally like the idea that you are a padawan apprenticed to the Exile. Heck, you might have even been one of his troops in the Mandalorian Wars.

The Exile should be a prominent scripted character in KOTOR III and Revan should be what he has always been: a mysterious character that gets involved in ways you least expect.

This may just be the result of thinking of different things when the same phrase is uttered.

To be honest, I'd rather have somebody without the extensive baggage of Revan or the Exile. I've already spent two games with extremely large elements of discovering more about the person I previously was; I'd rather not do it again.

Of course, this doesn't necessitate a blank, featureless, anonymous amorphous player character... just one that doesn't have A Terrible Secret that drives the game in place of the actual character I'm supposed to be playing.

If I was doing it, I'd have the new character be a Force-sensitive that was being trained as a Jedi, but whose master disappeared and turned to the Dark Side when Revan and Malak left the Jedi Order. The character's training was abandoned in the chaos and they left the Order, living out a peaceful-ish life as a trader/farmer/goatherd/whatever in some rural, barely settled area of a backwater planet.

(This equilibrium could then be disrupted by the arrival of T3 and the Ebon Hawk... let's say by having the ship crash-land on the PC's little farm, utterly destroying his faux-life and providing the means for him to take the mantle of hero, adventurer and True-Sith-defeater.)

No secrets, no grand revelations or underlying mysteries that distance one from one's own character; no time-consuming delving into the past when we're supposed to be hurtling through the climactic conclusion to the KOTOR trilogy; just the Player finishing what Bioware (Revan) and Obisidian (the Exile) started - saving the galaxy.

I don't know... just reckon it'd be nice for character development to be driven by current events, not what happened five years ago or in a previous life. Harder, but maybe more satisfying.

Not sure anymore what i want kotor 3. i'm was agauiinst a new pc for kotor 3. I think in three you should play exile/revan and finish up there story. but i been thinking a new pc at the beginning doesn't sound like a bad idea now. it could serve two purposes. 1. it could give a new player insight to kotor 1&2 and serve as a tutorial. 2. for vets it could serve to help to set up revan and exile. by asking us about the choices we made. doesn't have to details questions.

Revan and the exile should be playable later on, but what about chosing a padawan/apprentice (LS/DS)? we not only need a newb, we need one who will whip Revan's ever-lovin @$$, and beat the tar outta hte Exile.

yes listen to some of the better core ideas that people like, like picking a (character generating your own) padawan, people seem to like that idea alot, and of course, mandalore and a mandalorian army spearheaded by the new order (be it sith or jedi) against the sith empire (which should be better off than any incarnation of the republilc) and most of all i can safely say...

GIVE US HK-47 OR GIVE US EXAR KUN as Kun ain't happening, i mean every Kotor fan wants another shot of smart-ass, wanton carnage, overkill (give us assasin protocols to take out targets, like leave the planet, and instead of you haveing to kill him, you leave HK, and the plot advances when you return)

HK-47

HK-47

cheer!

also, don't forget what canderous said about the mandy wars in KOTOR I-

"... when the sith told us to attack the republic..."

yes, it is a line in the script, i have heard it abour 12 times (glitched back to talking to him)

Uno problemo, chica. (Okay, I can't type Spanish very well)

Exar Kun, for all intents and purposes, is dead. He doesn't even show himself again until after the movies.

Geekified Star Wars Geek

This may just be the result of thinking of different things when the same phrase is uttered.

To be honest, I'd rather have somebody without the extensive baggage of Revan or the Exile. I've already spent two games with extremely large elements of discovering more about the person I previously was; I'd rather not do it again.

Of course, this doesn't necessitate a blank, featureless, anonymous amorphous player character... just one that doesn't have A Terrible Secret that drives the game in place of the actual character I'm supposed to be playing.

If I was doing it, I'd have the new character be a Force-sensitive that was being trained as a Jedi, but whose master disappeared and turned to the Dark Side when Revan and Malak left the Jedi Order. The character's training was abandoned in the chaos and they left the Order, living out a peaceful-ish life as a trader/farmer/goatherd/whatever in some rural, barely settled area of a backwater planet.

(This equilibrium could then be disrupted by the arrival of T3 and the Ebon Hawk... let's say by having the ship crash-land on the PC's little farm, utterly destroying his faux-life and providing the means for him to take the mantle of hero, adventurer and True-Sith-defeater.)

No secrets, no grand revelations or underlying mysteries that distance one from one's own character; no time-consuming delving into the past when we're supposed to be hurtling through the climactic conclusion to the KOTOR trilogy; just the Player finishing what Bioware (Revan) and Obisidian (the Exile) started - saving the galaxy.

I don't know... just reckon it'd be nice for character development to be driven by current events, not what happened five years ago or in a previous life. Harder, but maybe more satisfying.

Well, possibly, I suppose...

I guess it's really just that I'm a big fan of stories that offer a lot of twists, turns, surprises, mysteries, and so on, so the way in which these first two installments of the series sort of blended linearity and nonlinearity with the main characters, for the sake of intriguing plot twists and engaging character development, really appealed to me. (And, personally, I slightly preferred Obsidian Entertainment's work with the Exile.) If it came down to this new third main character embodying either pure nonlinearity or another such combination, I myself would encourage Obsidian Entertainment (assuming they're going to be the ones to make it) to try the latter again. I can't really imagine playing as just some Force Sensitive guy being as satisfying or as interesting as playing as the Exile was to me.

I would agree that, this time, the main character's backstory or identity shouldn't entirely drive the storyline's main conflict as the Exile's had, but I would still enjoy it affecting the character's role and purpose in the storyline to a satisfying extent, and being some kind of a factor in their character development.

That's just my opinion, though.

yo peops!!!!! the illest idea!!!listen close...u play as a completely new charcter which has no past,with some new force powers etc....in a completely different galaxy...everything knew.....wierd memory flashbacks from the fist an second game...AND THEN U REALIZE THAT U ARE A FORCE FUSIUON BETWEEN REVAN AND THE EXILE ( when the exile found revan a bond was made between the 2,tha bond had to be strenghtened if they were to defeat the true sith,so they fused into 1,however the proccess ended up in memory loss) i know it's kinda stupid but that way u can actually control both of them and still will u be able to choose how u look like.watcha think?

:thumbsup:

:thumbsup:Revan is the god of war because at the end he borught endless suffering to all in the universe

Omg we started a character in kotor 1 with his memory blank (although in the end i think its was a great idea)

Again in kotor 2 we start a new character and he ALSO has some memory difficulties.

I don't want to start a new character in kotor 3 which i bet would also have some memory problems, let us chose who we want to play with: the Exile or Revan and let us finish the ending of kotor series (though im still hoping there will be more parts) with one of them...

Or if it's not possible to make then let us at least be able to have Revan/Exile as a party member AND Bastilla (MIRRA SUX HANMAIDEN is better but nothing compare to the mighty Bastilla and Visa has ugly lips)

Omg we started a character in kotor 1 with his memory blank (although in the end i think its was a great idea)

Again in kotor 2 we start a new character and he ALSO has some memory difficulties.

I don't want to start a new character in kotor 3 which i bet would also have some memory problems, let us chose who we want to play with: the Exile or Revan and let us finish the ending of kotor series (though im still hoping there will be more parts) with one of them...

Or if it's not possible to make then let us at least be able to have Revan/Exile as a party member AND Bastilla (MIRRA SUX HANMAIDEN is better but nothing compare to the mighty Bastilla and Visa has ugly lips)

I agree, if we get a newbie, no more "conflicted past" or "hidden past". However,

they could have someone who knew the Exile in the war. This would provide a tie-in. I am not suggesting that they use this as a shortcut storytelling device but only as a logical tie-in.

I agree, if we get a newbie, no more "conflicted past" or "hidden past". However,

they could have someone who knew the Exile in the war. This would provide a tie-in. I am not suggesting that they use this as a shortcut storytelling device but only as a logical tie-in.

Agree Plano,

But to be really honest, you HAVE to have a newbie character for those that never played parts 1 or 2, but I think those of us that have would much prefer carrying on our existing revan or exile rather then making anouther new character for the game

Agree Plano,

But to be really honest, you HAVE to have a newbie character for those that never played parts 1 or 2, but I think those of us that have would much prefer carrying on our existing revan or exile rather then making anouther new character for the game

Not sure anymore what i want kotor 3. i'm was against a new pc for kotor 3. I think in three you should play exile/revan and finish up there story. but i been thinking a new pc at the beginning doesn't sound like a bad idea now. it could serve two purposes. 1. it could give a new player insight to kotor 1&2 and serve as a tutorial. 2. for vets it could serve to help to set up revan and exile. by asking us about the choices we made. doesn't have to detailed questions. but they will have go alittle deeper then the questions at the beginning of tsl.

Agree Plano,

Not sure anymore what i want kotor 3. i'm was against a new pc for kotor 3. I think in three you should play exile/revan and finish up there story. but i been thinking a new pc at the beginning doesn't sound like a bad idea now. it could serve two purposes. 1. it could give a new player insight to kotor 1&2 and serve as a tutorial. 2. for vets it could serve to help to set up revan and exile. by asking us about the choices we made. doesn't have to detailed questions. but they will have go alittle deeper then the questions at the beginning of tsl.

To be honest it would be stupid to start playing kotor 3 WITHOUT playing the first 2 parts. <_< And the questions might be asked for example after creating the character and before starting to play. Besides kotor series is really easy to understand :thumbsup:

I really don't believe that KOTOR 3 will be any different from the other 2.

What I mean is that you'll have to play a new guy and level him up just like on the other KOTOR's.

Now, the story, can and should be explored to the maximum, using appearances from Revan and/or the Exile and some KOTOR 1 and 2 characters, but all of them as NPC's.

Here's how I would write it:

You are a Padawan, training on Coruscant and are almost ready to face the trials (I hope they show us what the trials are all about in the next SW movie, episode3) to become a jedi knight.

Your master (it doesn't matter who he/she is) tells you that there are some events that have been set in motion and needs all available jedi's help (sounds a little criptic? :- ).

Your quest would be to find out what exactly is the mission, before your master talks to you again :thumbsup: . This would lead you to the jedi archives, where you would snoop and snoop and snoop to finally discover that this was about Revan/Exile and their "fight to save the galaxy", thus setting their alignment and gender, thru some kind of chat with the librarian.

At this point Coruscant would be attacked by a mysterious enemy and your master would tell to equip up and be ready to fight. Yes, this game you should start with a lightsaber. After a long battle, and some easy enemy soldiers (don't forget this is only the beginning) death's you find that every jedi master disappeared and all the jedi knights and padawans were killed, except you.

The Ebon Hawk was one of the ships in the fight and is damaged. T3 finds you and asks you (you won't have much choice :thumbsup:" ) to come with him.

The rest of the story I leave to your imagination.

MUAHAHAAHAHAHAHAH

comments please.....