What are your Ability Scores?

Everyone takes a situtational penalty of 4 to their intelligence scores, penalty of 6 to their wisdom scores and penalty of 8 to their charisma scores.

Well, that would add for some realism, indeed.

- When he is best, he is a little worse than a man, and when he is worst, he is little better than a beast.

-1 to Gromnir's con score.

burst appendix.

*grumble*

is curious to consider that if such a thing had happened to Gromnir 100 years ago, we probably would be dead. as it is, we just feels slightly embarrassed for not having gone to the hospital sooner... when the pain first started.

oh well.

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

I always get a kick out of these threads.

Str: 10 I was pumping iron until my doctors told me it was unwise. Heh, one doctor says "lose weight" and the other says "no strenuous activity." Rat bastards. Can I say that on TV? Still, I'm about average on a 3-18 scale, which shows how pathetic our population is.

Dex: 11 I used to have excellent reflexes. All things of this world are fleeting, but I'm saddened to find that I move a little slower than I did even a few years ago. A sedentary lifestyle, ill health, and age all conspire against me.

Con: 8. I'm not on death's door, but I've got a pain in the side that the doctors say is built for a lifetime. I've managed to ruin my liver with youthful indiscretions. I can't walk between the parking lot and the Humanities building without being covered in sweat. A hundred years ago, I'd've been buried next to Gromnir.

Int: 12. heh. I was given a series of tests when I was younger. Allegedly, I was a genius. All's I can say to that is: 1) I don't believe it. 2) If I am a genius, God wasted it on me. Better that someone worthy have it than me. I think I'm a bit above average.

Wis: 8. You don't end up where I am by being particularly wise.

Cha: 14. I'm actually popular with folks. I have an outrageously busy social schedule. I have built networks of friends where they did not exist. Hell, even when I move on to something else, the ties I've created between people endure. If I have pride over anything in my life, this would be it. I know, it's pathetic.

A smiley for the hell of it: :cool:

Fionavar's Holliday Wishes to all members of our online community:  Happy Holidays

Join the revelry at the Obsidian Plays channel:
Obsidian Plays

Remembering tarna, Phosphor, Metadigital, and Visceris.  Drink mead heartily in the halls of Valhalla, my friends!

I have built networks of friends where they did not exist.

Uh huh, I see...

Don't worry Eldar. We are all your friends... ;)"

:D

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

Don't be a doofus, Gorth. I'm talking the flesh and blood variety. You know, not all networks are internetworks! ;)

Fionavar's Holliday Wishes to all members of our online community:  Happy Holidays

Obsidian Plays

Remembering tarna, Phosphor, Metadigital, and Visceris.  Drink mead heartily in the halls of Valhalla, my friends!

I know, it's pathetic.

I don't think it's pathetic at all. My grandfather passed away a couple of years back, and at a swedish funeral it's customary to read all the telegrams and condoleances before eating (after the funeral 'rituals' are completed). Anyhow, my grandfather had a huge box of condoleances from all over the world. It took over two hours to read through them all! He didn't talk much and we never discussed things like his friends or social network, but it seems he left a huge imprint on people he met. People he worked with fifty years ago remembered him and sent their condoleances. People he met during travels forty years ago remembered him and sent their condoleances, and so on. I was so impressed, and it felt so weird to find out how important my little grandfather was to so many people he had met throughout his life. It was a humbling experience.

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

After discovering that one of my close friends has been openly gay for several months without me knowing, despite a whole heap of not-so-subtle hints about it, I now realise that my Wisdom has to be about three, tops. Plus, I seem to roll a 1 on every sense motive check I ever make.

Hawk! Eggplant! AWAKEN!

After discovering that one of my close friends has been openly gay for several months without me knowing, despite a whole heap of not-so-subtle hints about it, I now realise that my Wisdom has to be about three, tops.  Plus, I seem to roll a 1 on every sense motive check I ever make.

Knowing your strengths and weaknesses is wis..

You just got +1 wis :rolleyes:

Strength: 9 - I think I'm about average, if a little less.

Dex: 11 - I may not be quick, but I have excellent balance, and pretty good aim.

Con: 11 - Except for a cold, I haven't been sick in 7 years. But I'm not really fit.

Int: 16 - Last IQ test put me at 148, which I believe is gifted.

Wis: 8 - No willpower, but pretty good commen sense.

Charisma: 11 - Not much of a leader, but everyone seems to like me.

EDIT: Oh, and I'm going by 2nd edition stats here. I don't know how 3rd edition stats go in the real world.

The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg

Thank you for posting this!

I have been P&P gaming since I was 5, and I've done this very exercise several times, and have learned that it can be very entertaining experience to translate oneself into stats and have them move about in the game world... (in fact - I would often require it of players who demonstrated difficulty separating their personality from that of their character, and I would literally have them role-play an encounter WITH their character to help them define the differences between the two personalities)

Now for the brutally honest part... (But before I get to it, a word of caution; when you read these, you're likely to consider that I am A. Lying B. Delusional or C. Trying to impress you - Let me state for the record beforehand that I am D. none of the above. As I have stated - I have done this many times and have only come to these figures by actual testing or by common sense comparison)

STRENGTH: 16 or 17(possibly higher - I can't find my PH to check the scale, and I can't remember off the top of my head) I don't work out, but I have lived a life of manual labor and a hard life on the streets.

DEXTERITY: 19 (honestly - I can catch arrows between 60 - 75% of the time - I am irregularly agile for someone my size. I've been a practicer of martial arts and keep myself fairly limber Of course, this stat may also be influenced by a certain caffinated beverage that seems to have replaced most of my blood... :)

CONSTITUTION: 15 to 18 (depending on my lifestyle - currently, I'm at about a 16 due to too much time in front of the computer, but when living in the woods or other regularly strenous lifestyle, it usually slides back up to around an 18)

INTELLIGENCE: 17 (going off the scale that Einstein is at least a 19)

WISDOM: 20+ (just don't ask how I got it. unless you're ready for a serious yoda-esque uber-spiritual discussion.. LOL! :blink: (And no, I am not the kind of person you want to get in an arguement with either... ;)

CHARISMA: This has always been the hardest one to self-define, and I tend to think that it is the most chageable of all the stats - I myself can range from around a 17 (in a really good mood on a "good hair day"), but I average around 13 or 14 (suffering serious point loss from blunt tactlessness)... but at 4 am without caffine, I'd be suprised if I graced a 5... LOL!

Now before folks start laugh incredulously at my stats, there are a few things to understand:

1st: I'm a pretty big guy (6' 4", about 265#s) who's led a very physically demanding life well beyond the norm. (Imagine a soldier on active duty/ at war for 20 years, and you'll understand the physical stats)

2nd: I'm a career rogue scholar (like being in college FT - if I'm not doing something physically active, I'm usually engaged in academics or research, or otherwise seeking to expand my skillset / knowledge base)

3rd: I'm pretty much living proof that D&D is entirely fantasy, because I'd definately be a multi-class human that progesses very slowly in all of them... Then again, who knows, I know I've got Irish blood in me, maybe theirs some Elf in there, too... LOL!

4th: I've lived anything but an average life, and have lived as many real-world adventures as I have in the misty world of the imagination... (They're where my best ideas come from!) Some day, I'll write a book about it... (And knowing my luck, someone would classify it under fiction... LOL! I honestly wouldn't believe it myself if I hadn't lived through it... [which is also one of the things that contributed to the heightened WISDOM atttribute - I learned alot of very valuable lessons by making lots of mistakes and learning things the hard way)

Also, I would like to state for the record that I think many of you are underestimating yourselves! Remember, the D&D scale is set for roughly mideval times... Back then, mental stats of 7 to 10 were "average", whereas in the modern era, the average is a bit higher... However, conversely, the average physical stats back then were easily in the 13 to 16 average range, whereas these days it would be closer to 8 to 12... (Most people just aren't as physically active, because we don't have to be to survive, usually - there are a few rare exceptions [i should know, I'm one of them])

I'm not sure if people have an accurate sense of INT - there are alot of different kinds of "smarts" out there - most "IQ tests" are complete BS - a good indicator of your intellect is the amount of time it takes you to figure something out - the less time it takes, the higher the number... (In my experience, most "regular" gamers are actually at the high end of the scale in comparison to non-gaming folks)

Also - I think most people don't gauge their CONs correctly, because they've never pushed themselves to their limits (let alone on a regular basis!)

Here's a "quickie list" of modifiers you all might be able to use to re-consider your scores:

Modifier Factor

+1 CON Good diet (as in "fairly healthy" - avoiding fast food, healthy snacks)

+2 CON Specialized diet for your body type/lifestyle ("super healthy")

-2 CON Typical Gamer diet (pop, chips, pizza, fast food

+2 CON Regular physical activity (This could be walking the dog, exercise, etc.)

+3 CON Any type of military training, lifestyle of hardship or demanding physical labor

-1 CON If you spend more than 40 hours a week in front of the TV or Computer

-2 CON If you smoke

+1 INT If you watch the news regularly and wonder what stories aren't covered by it

+1 INT If you read at least 3 books a year

+2 INT If you read 10 books or more a year

+3 INT If you love to read constantly or compusively find yourself enjoying research and engaging in it regularly

+1 INT If you're the member of your party who always helps figure out puzzles

+2 INT If you anticipate what the GM/DM has up their sleeve next and don't say anything about it openly.

+1 INT If you "fudge" on your taxes without getting caught

+3 INT If you went higher than Statistics in school, or got good grades in a scientific course of study AND can still remember at least 70% of what you learned.

+2 INT If you have lived on the streets, been involved in criminal activity w/o getting caught, or are a true-blue hacker of the caliber that can crack average systems

+3 INT If you can hack defense nets or other highly secure systems

-2 INT If you did methamphetamines during a year (note that this modifier is cumulative - that stuff destroys your brain!!!)

-1 INT If you watch more than 20 hours of TV a week

-2 INT If you watch more than 40 hours of TV a week

+2 INT If you can understand other people's point of view/perspective (yes, this means most P&P RPGers usually have a more articulate & flexible mind)

+2 INT If you GM/DM regularly

+1 INT If you are a programmer (even if it's just HTML/web pages)

+2 INT If you know Unix, Perl, etc. like the back of your hand.

+2 INT If you like,or regularly visit the local Library

-1 WIS If you've ever bought into a pyramid scheme, get-rich-quick scheme, or regularly find yourselve been taken advantage of.

-2 WIS If you own more than 20 pairs of shoes... (sorry ladies... ;)

-1 WIS If you occasionally argue with your spouse or significant other

-3 WIS If you regularly argue with your spouse or SO

+1 WIS If you didn't vote to re-elect the current President of the United States*

-2 WIS If you entirely abstain from voting

+1 WIS If you GM/DM regularly

+1 WIS If you donate to charitable causes

-1 WIS If you regularly find yourself trying to impress others

+2 WIS If you study in-depth spiritual beliefs other than your own

+1 WIS If you've studied your own spiritual belief system in-depth

+4 WIS If you keep a journal regularly and read back through it occasionally

+1 WIS If you keep more than 30 books on hand or nearby for easy reference

-2 WIS If you regularly engage in criminal activity

+2 WIS If you are an artist who actually gets paid.

-2 WIS If you find yourself making the same mistakes repeatedly throughout life without ever really figuring out why.

+1 WIS If you are still single after the age of 30

+2 WIS For every child you have (note: this modifier is cumulative for each child)

+2 WIS If you currently, or ever have, held a position in a public office (Unless your name is G.W. Bush, in which case you are not eligable for this modifier*)

+1 WIS If you have played more than 4 different alignments with integrity (or w/o it if one of them was Chaotic Neutral or Evil)

+3 WIS If you have ever played as a True Neutral with integrity.

+1 WIS If you have ever played as a member of the opposite sex with integrity and respect applied to the gender.

Anyways, these are merely suggestions that should help out with the guesswork for squeezing yourself into these attributes. Obviously, if you take all the modifiers literally, you'll end up with totally skewered stats, but if you pick 3 to 5 of the most relevent ones, you'll probably be closer to the mark in your self-assessments,,, GIVE YOURSELVES SOME CREDIT (where credit is due)!

(* I truly apologize if these political statements offended anyone, but I don't apologize for having said them - consider me highly offended for having to put up with him for a second term, and we'll call it even and go back to just being Americans... ;)

Thank you for posting this!  I have been P&P gaming since I was 5, and I've done this very exercise several times, and have learned that it can be very entertaining experience to translate oneself into stats and have them move about in the game world... (in fact - I would often require it of players who demonstrated difficulty separating their personality from that of their character, and I would literally have them role-play an encounter WITH their character to help them define the differences between the two personalities)

Now for the brutally honest part...  (But before I get to it, a word of caution; when you read these, you're likely to consider that I am A. Lying  B. Delusional or C. Trying to impress you - Let me state for the record beforehand that I am D. none of the above.  As I have stated - I have done this many times and have only come to these figure by actual testing or by common sense comparison)

STRENGTH: 16 or 17 (possibly higher - I can't find my PH to check the scale, and I can't remember off the top of my head) I don't work out, but I have lived a life of manual labor and a hard life on the streets.

DEXTERITY: 19 (honestly - I can catch arrows between 60 - 75% of the time - I am irregularly agile for someone my size.  I've been a practicer of martial arts and keep myself fairly limber  Of course, this stat may also be influenced by a certain caffinated beverage that seems to have replaced most of my blood... ;)

CONSTITUTION: 15 to 18 (depending on my  lifestyle - currently, I'm at about a 16 due to too much time in front of the computer, but when living in the woods or other regularly strenous lifestyle, it usually slides back up to around an 18)

INTELLIGENCE: 17  (going off the scale that Einstein is at least a 19)

WISDOM: 20+ (just don't ask how I got it. unless you're ready for a serious yoda-esque uber-spiritual discussion..  LOL! :blink:  (And no, I am not the kind of person you want to get in an arguement with either...  ;)

CHARISMA:  This has always been the hardest one to self-define, and I tend to think that it is the most chageable of all the stats - I myself can range from around a 17 (in a really good mood on a "good hair day"), but I average around 13 or 14 (suffering serious point loss from blunt tactlessness)... but at 4 am without caffine, I'd be suprised if I graced a 5... LOL!

I can somewhat believe your other stats, but Dex and Wisdom no. 18 is the limit of human potential without magical augmentation. Keep in mind 9-10 is average. Einstein would probably be 18 intelligence, not at least 19(inferring it could possibly be higher). We're going by D&D rules here, not house rules.

Devastatorsig.jpg

I can somewhat believe your other stats, but Dex and Wisdom no. 18 is the limit of human potential without magical augmentation.

First of all - I told you wouldn't believe me from the start, no?

Second - I wasn't aware that my existance had to conform to your belief systems... (In fact, all of the evidence point pretty conclusively to the opposite)

Third - You're free to try to apply your belief system to me at the risk of your own foley

Fourth - I've been doing both gaming and self-assessments of myself most of my life, how about you?

Fifth - You're assuming, of course, that I am ignorant to the concepts of magical enhancement... Perhaps I have come across some things in my travels that you were not previously aware of. I am actually a fairly proficient student of esoteric metaphysics...

Sixth - You'll note that when I suggested that others stats may have been a bit off, I did so in a positive and creative manner, and did not attempt to single anyone out and tell them how I thought that they should be

Seventh - Do you really want to argue with me about a topic (myself) that I am fairly more informaed about than you...?

I am well aware of what the conceptual game system mechanics are, and what most people see as the "absolute" human maximum...

If you want to be a rules lawyer about a theoretical question to begin with, feel free to use that imagination of yours, and put the values at 18 if you so wish - your concept or opinion of me matters to my understanding of myself about as much as a blowgun matters in a modern war...

I figured this post would be an excellent way to participate and have fun with the community, and you attempting to critically correct me doesn't make me feel very accepted, seeing as this is my very first posting in these forums...

Next time, I would appreciate it if you showed a little more tact, lest you illicit the same treatment from me... (and as you can see, I can be pretty tactless if I have to be...)

Wow. That's quite a lot of bull**** there Shadan. Bravo.

Also: Subtract one from your intelligence and wisdom scores for each use of "lol".

Edit: You'd think someone with an intelligence of seventeen would know how to spell the word folly. Or with a wisdom score of twenty plus would remember to close their quote tags.

Edited by Nartwak

I can somewhat believe your other stats, but Dex and Wisdom no. 18 is the limit of human potential without magical augmentation.

First of all - I told you wouldn't believe me from the start, no?

Second - I wasn't aware that my existance had to conform to your belief systems...  (In fact, all of the evidence point pretty conclusively to the opposite)

Third - You're free to try to apply your belief system to me at the risk of your own foley

Fourth - I've been doing both gaming and self-assessments of myself most of my life, how about you?

Fifth - You're assuming, of course, that I am ignorant to the concepts of magical enhancement...  Perhaps I have come across some things in my travels that you were not previously aware of.  I am actually a fairly proficient student of esoteric metaphysics...

Sixth - You'll note that when I suggested that others stats may have been a bit off, I did so in a positive and creative manner, and did not attempt to single anyone out and tell them  how I thought that they should be

Seventh - Do you really want to argue with me about a topic (myself) that I am fairly more informaed about than you...?

I am well aware of what the conceptual game system mechanics are, and what most people see as the "absolute" human maximum...

If you want to be a rules lawyer about a theoretical question to begin with, feel free to use that imagination of yours, and put the values at 18 if you so wish - your concept or opinion of me matters to my understanding of myself about as much as a blowgun matters in a modern war...

I figured this post would be an excellent way to participate and have fun with the community, and you attempting to critically correct me doesn't make me feel very accepted, seeing as this is my very first posting in these forums...

Next time, I would appreciate it if you showed a little more tact, lest you illicit the same treatment from me...  (and as you can see, I can be pretty tactless if I have to be...)

Ok, moron. You want tactless? I'll give you tactless. You are not superhuman. The fact that you think you're wiser than Buddha shows you have more like 12 wisdom than 20+. Your ignorance of what we are discussing shows you don't have genius level intelligence. You may be strong, but you're not more dexterous than an olympic gymnast, martial arts master, and contortionist put together, no matter what your 20+ wisdom may make you believe.

The first step to enlightenment is knowing you know nothing. I think you skipped that step.

If you thought my first response was tactless, then dear god how will you respond to this.

Also, using your modifiers I ended up with 23 intelligence and 19 wisdom. Which is aboslute bull****. You don't get bonuses to your stats for being able to do things. You are able to do things because of the stats you have. (Wisdom being the only exception, but keeping a journal, giving to charity, staying single, DMing, or playing a game won't make you wiser)

Devastatorsig.jpg

I just thought the guy was joking. On the other hand, if he's serious, then I have some folks who need a stern "talking to!" If he could "explain" a few things to them, I'm sure they'd offer me a better deal on that car. I don't care if he uses intelligence or strenght, as long as he gets me what I want.

Obsidian Plays