Disappointment

I'm not trying to start a fight with anyone who thinks otherwise but, who else thought this game was horrible? Besides being bugged like crazy, the storyline was very random, and the way the game played out was very generic. Meaning, you ran around like a fool and did really stupid jobs for NPC's that had no real significance - but if you didn't, the game wouldn't progress.

Oh, and what was the point of Darth Nihilus? He's on like every picture for the game, yet you never really see him, and I whipped the crap out of him in like 6 seconds. It's just like, that's it?

Also, what's with all the new lightsaber colors...? Though it's not my biggest complaint, but what ever happened to just green, blue, and red? Whoever thinks this makes the game better, it doesn't; it just takes away from the classic originality of star wars, and possibly to get more people to buy the game.

I just think the game needed more time, and should have been more carefully planned out... I think I'll stick to Star Wars Galaxies... :)

I love the game. Has it's problems, both story and gameplay wise, but I've never met a game that didn't.

As to bugs...I'm sure if I'd had a lot of them, like some people, I'd be bothered too...but I didn't, so I have no serious complaints in that regard.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Oh, and what was the point of Darth Nihilus?  He's on like every picture for the game, yet you never really see him, and I whipped the crap out of him in like 6 seconds.  It's just like, that's it?

I just think the game needed more time, and should have been more carefully planned out...

It was an incomplete, rushed out game. It had an absolutely brilliant concept that was poorly excecuted. What was done well was done very very well, what was incomplete was a steaming pile of ..... There are many, mainly younger (teenage xbox) players who love this game based solely on the fighting and gameplay. For the most part they clicked through the dialouge and did not notice or care about the inconsistencies of the story. For the real RPG fans (mainly 20-30 something PC) players, this game was a real heartbreaker. So close to real magnificence on the scale of Baldurs Gate and Planescape, but in the end so terribly weak and far from it. And that is soley because it was unfinished.

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

I guess that's part of it for me....I do pay attention to the story, but I don't tend to notice or dwell a lot on it. It's like, I can watch a movie and wish the story had gone in a different direction, but still adore the movie because of characters or the rush of emotion here and there etc.

It's pretty rare where the direction of the story itself (or 'missing pieces') ruins the whole tamale for me - maybe because my imagination fills in the blanks and I dont notice that a lot is missing. Or something.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Don't get me wrong. It was not my intention to bait Xboxers or in any way denigrate those who like this game solely for the game play. If that is what you like then great, it has a lot of good stuff for you. But I have been reading these boards for a while now and by HUGE margins, the RPG crowd was not happy with it and the gameplay crowd are. We are almost like Republicans and Democrats, we look at the same thing two different ways and cannot understand why the other dislikes/likes what we see. And at times there is a lot of acrimony between us. I'm an RPG fan and I made my opinion of this game clear.

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

I think that both games where really good. You are crazy. You dont know what the hell your talking about. I guess to get the full fun of the game you need to take time away from the story and just mess around and explore the games possibeltys but i really dont get how you can not like these games.

I didn't mean to imply that I'm bothered by the differing opinions in this area.

Of course people like different things/aspects of stuff.

I just find it interesting cause I do consider myself an RPG fan - since I've played many of them, including many that 'RPG fans' think are 'super'...just not in a mental fashion, obviously, to the point of the group you're referring to. :-

Although I've never done tabletop, that doesn't appeal to me because...well, I'm loner. heh

I think that both games where the bomb i think that you are crazy i dont now what the hell your talking about. I guess to get the full fun of the game you need to take time away from the story and just mess around i explore the games possibeltys but i really dont get how you can not like these games.

Thank you for proving both of my points.

Thomas Sowell

Although I've never done tabletop, that doesn't appeal to me because...well, I'm loner. heh

I'm with you there. Never was a fan of PnP.

Thomas Sowell

There are many, mainly younger (teenage xbox) players who love this game based solely on the fighting and gameplay. For the most part they clicked through the dialouge and did not notice or care about the inconsistencies of the story. For the real RPG fans (mainly 20-30 something PC) players, this game was a real heartbreaker.

Wait...I'm not 20 yet, therefore I'm not a real cRPG fan. Nevermind that I've been playing Baldur's Gate, Fallout, et al. since I was 12. Oh my, I've become a conundrum!

So, therefore, I'm a teenage Xbox player. But I didn't click through the dialogue--the reason I bought the game in the first place was because I was impressed with Chris Avellone's work. AND I ENJOYED IT. I'll say it: despite its bugs, plot holes, and rushed ending, KOTORII IS AWESOME in my viewpoint.

Meaning, you ran around like a fool and did really stupid jobs for NPC's that had no real significance - but if you didn't, the game wouldn't progress.

Let me think of other games where that happens...wait, it's almost every RPG on the market. Name one game with no FedEx portions. It's a symptom of the genre, not just one game.

Also, what's with all the new lightsaber colors...? Though it's not my biggest complaint, but what ever happened to just green, blue, and red? Whoever thinks this makes the game better, it doesn't; it just takes away from the classic originality of star wars, and possibly to get more people to buy the game.

Obsidian does not equal George Lucas. Blame him.

There are many, mainly younger (teenage xbox) players who love this game based solely on the fighting and gameplay. For the most part they clicked through the dialouge and did not notice or care about the inconsistencies of the story. For the real RPG fans (mainly 20-30 something PC) players, this game was a real heartbreaker.

Wait...I'm not 20 yet, therefore I'm not a real cRPG fan. Nevermind that I've been playing Baldur's Gate, Fallout, et al. since I was 12. Oh my, I've become a conundrum!

I was discussing generalities. My statement do not and were not intended to encapsulate every individual player. By an large the numbers prove me right.

Thomas Sowell

I was discussing generalities. My statement do not and were not intended to encapsulate every individual player. By an large the numbers prove me right.

I apologize; I didn't mean to sound so confrontational. It's just that so many older gamers blame younger ones for the trend of "dumbing down" games. It's kind of like that chauvinistic stuff some gamers pull on women, like they don't know enough to play well. (I'm sorry, I've just encountered both in the past.)

I apologize; I didn't mean to sound so confrontational. It's just that so many older gamers blame younger ones for the trend of "dumbing down" games. It's kind of like that chauvinistic stuff some gamers pull on women, like they don't know enough to play well. (I'm sorry, I've just encountered both in the past.)

I've read similar statements in these very forums. And, I'll say what you didn't it is a pile of garbage to even suggest it. 'Younger" players do not dumb down games any more than "older" ones have the reverse effect. I'd be a little put off by the suggestion too. Not where I was going. Devlopers target age groups, true enough but KOTOR 2 was meant for a broad appeal. Here is a great example of what i'm trying to get at. Neverwinter Nights has absolutley nothing for the gameplay crowd. Animations, graphic interface, game pace are all pretty poor. But it has a big cowd of rabid RPG fans that love it because it is so moddable, replayable, and totally story driven. The additions of the toolset ensures there will always be new games to play. Thats the different outlooks to KOTOR 2 I was trying to get at. NWN has very few players under 20. Not because it is or isn't dumbed down, just that it takes a different taste to enjoy it.

Thomas Sowell

I've read similar statements in these very forums. And, I'll say what you didn't it is a pile of garbage to even suggest it. 'Younger" players do not dumb down games any more than "older" ones have the reverse effect. I'd be a little put off by the suggestion too. Not where I was going. Devlopers target age groups, true enough but KOTOR 2 was meant for a broad appeal. Here is a great example of what i'm trying to get at. Neverwinter Nights has absolutley nothing for the gameplay crowd. Animations, graphic interface, game pace are all pretty poor. But it has a big cowd of rabid RPG fans that love it because it is so moddable, replayable, and totally story driven. The additions of the toolset ensures there will always be new games to play. Thats the different outlooks to KOTOR 2 I was trying to get at. NWN has very few players under 20. Not because it is or isn't dumbed down, just that it takes a different taste to enjoy it.

Somewhere in your idiotic rant, you failed to explain anything to me that made sense...

Somewhere in your idiotic rant, you failed to explain anything to me that made sense...

I wasn't talking to you anyway

Thomas Sowell

I did start this topic, didn't I?

Yep. And in #4 I agreed with you. My "idiotic" rant as you so kindly put it was answering someone else who took exception to what I said. I'm not here to flame or denigrate anyone.

Thomas Sowell

from GuardDog:

...this game was a real heartbreaker. So close to real magnificence on the scale of Baldurs Gate and Planescape, but in the end so terribly weak and far from it. And that is soley because it was unfinished.

Couldn't agree more. Ultimately, it comes down to why you game, and for everyone, that probably changes based on mood, life circumstance, etc. For example, I imagine that if things had been stressier for me at work, I really would have enjoyed that last, solo run-and-gun through the Traya Academy (though how it could ever compare to taking bats to crack dealers in San Andreas, I will never know).

As it is, though, things are pretty mild for me, and I was shocked how disappointed I was by the ending. I mean, fundamentally, it's just a game, right? It's been bugging me, though. And GuardDog hits on it: as it seems to have been conceived, TSL could have excelled the original in almost all ways. But it didn't.

If I want to run around solo, and not interact much with anyone, like I said, I'll toodle over to my console and play San Andreas. A 3-p RPG cannot compete for gameplay with something like that, so why try? When I play RPGs, I want to talk to my NPCs, get to know them, see how their stories unfold and how they interact with the main plotline (to this day, I'm weepy over Yoshimo in BGII). But most of all, I want the many, many hours of my life spent developing characters and influence and building nifty armor and lightsabers for everybody to mean something. The last rushed hour-odd effectively robbed the preceding hours of effort of their worth, since all that really mattered was that my PC character was a tank (be it Force tank, weapons tank, or some combination). There was no real point in bothering with the more traditionally RPG elemetns. And if you game for story, that's hard to swallow, regardless of whether you identify yourself as a thirty-something RPG-er, a teenage console fiend, an overgrown teenager with a console and a PC, or anything else.

from GuardDog:
...this game was a real heartbreaker. So close to real magnificence on the scale of Baldurs Gate and Planescape, but in the end so terribly weak and far from it. And that is soley because it was unfinished.

Couldn't agree more....

<snip>

As it is, though, things are pretty mild for me, and I was shocked how disappointed I was by the ending. I mean, fundamentally, it's just a game, right? It's been bugging me, though. And GuardDog hits on it: as it seems to have been conceived, TSL could have excelled the original in almost all ways. But it didn't.

My feelings exactly. It's just always going to be there, nagging at me vaguely.

Like the never-to-be-resolved cliffhanger ending of Gabriel Knight 3.

Argh.

BG. (but on the plus side, I think I need to play Baldur's gate and PS:T)

That would be time well spent, and they can be had really cheap now.

Thomas Sowell

But I have been reading these boards for a while now and by HUGE margins, the RPG crowd was not happy with it and the gameplay crowd are.

Not true at all. In fact, I'd say the so-called RPG crowd has been more vocal in its defense of the game than most.

"Console exclusive is such a harsh word." - Darque

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)

But I have been reading these boards for a while now and by HUGE margins, the RPG crowd was not happy with it and the gameplay crowd are.

Not true at all. In fact, I'd say the so-called RPG crowd has been more vocal in its defense of the game than most.

No, Obsidian has been defended, and not for nothing. KOTOR 2 is not without good parts, even as it is. Many gamers have spoken up in defense of what is good about it. But, taken on the whole the game is just poor, more because of what is not included than what is. By a rough margin of 3 to 1 posters have agreed with this sentiment. 3 more months of dev time and Muhakda would have never put up this post.

Thomas Sowell

Also, what's with all the new lightsaber colors...?  Though it's not my biggest complaint, but what ever happened to just green, blue, and red? Whoever thinks this makes the game better, it doesn't; it just takes away from the classic originality of star wars, and possibly to get more people to buy the game.

I have to disagree...I love my Silver/Purple/Viridian sabers...You can't take em..NO! (w00t)