Infinity Engine Games

Bandit

I sort-of liked ToEE's version of turn-based combat but I didn't make it through the game because the combat itself was ..tedious. It was too awkward and different, I guess. And Torment had a radial menu, so it can be done with the IE. (Or am I not "getting it"? )

Baldur's Gate didn't have any tedious TB comat-system, nor did it have radial-menus to make the game easier

BG was definitely turn-based and round-timed.

And IE combat system does not work very well in consoles because it needs mouse driven control and hotkeys to take advantage of it, it could be done with the tumbsticks but they are not very good for that kind of thing.

Must be another thing I'm not be "getting" - I thought scripts had more control over combat? I used a mouse in BG, yes, but never had to use hotkeys - it was all in the GUI, onscreen. :p

For the purposes of immersion, I think the only way to go is to script as much as possible. Radial menus are distracting, at best. But that's another argument, no? :wacko:

So the lack of 3D is the only reason the IE is 'done'?

Well in the X number of threads I've been through about RT vs. TB, the IE games are hailed as the prototypical RT with pause games, and ToEE is the typical TB-game.

Call it whatever you want, as long as I don't have to endure the boring ToEE engine and that cardboard_game-like combat-system, I'm happy.

Also, I'm quite sure they can make a game which is both RT with pause, and TB, to satisfy both groups.

If it is a good engine, why is it time to let it rest in peace?

I love IE. It is not at all important to have good graphic (not thath IE is bad) in an rpg. As rpg's is all about making the pictures in your own head. Thats something I liked about f.ex Fallout, that when f.ex opening opening doors, searching bodies, they had the same animation, and that didn't matter at all. Not at all. I love IE...

"As rpg's is all about making the pictures in your own head. Thats something I liked about f.ex Fallout, that when f.ex opening opening doors, searching bodies, they had the same animation, and that didn't matter at all. Not at all. I love IE... "

Ok. No need for vidego game RPGs then. Stick with pnp.

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

You probably won't seen anymore IE games.  It's unfortunate in many ways, because I do think there is a hole left by them.  I really enjoyed the strategic play, which is one of the reasons I got Interplay to sign up the original BG.

The problem is that the game style is pretty much PC only and the engine is 2D.  Both of those things together would pretty much get you laughed out of any publisher's conference room if you pitched that kind of game to them.

We do kick the idea around here every once in a while about making a game like those that were made with the IE, but we are pretty sure we would have to fund it ourselves if we did.

Yes the Infinity Engine is dated but we severely need a some strategy games and the Diablo games are basically the only franchise left from that era that's similar to IWD and BG but the Diablo games have never been really a strategic type of games. Maybe you could redo it, make it 3-D. Maybe even give us the option to zoom in closer to look at our characters and when we add armor you can tell the difference. I believe that strategy RPGs like IWD and BG are dead but they don't have to be. Soon Bethesda will make Fallout 3 and that

"Your total disregard for the law and human decency both disgusts me and touches my heart. Bless you, sir."

"Soilent Green is people. This guy's just a homeless heroin junkie who got in a internet caf

The thing is that PC-RPGamers desperately need a good, old-fashioned, traditional PC-RPG. Badly. Nothing against KOTOR, but personally I am getting tired of all the console-style RPG's and replaying all the old CRPG's is getting boring as well.

I think there is a market for a PC-only RPG that values the old traditions.

I agree that there's a need for some old-fashioned CRPG-goodness, but I doubt there really is a market for it.

Btw, great avatar, Sermon. Where is it from?

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

It has made me the man I am today. A man who craves furry hentai.

So let us go and embrace the rustling smells of unseen worlds

I agree that there's a need for some old-fashioned CRPG-goodness, but I doubt there really is a market for it.

Btw, great avatar, Sermon. Where is it from?

I think (hope?) there must be loads of PC-gamers out there who start getting sick of all these console-style RPG's. I think there IS a market out there for traditional CRPG's, the problem is no-one caters to that market at the moment, because it's consoles where the really big bucks lie.

As for the avatar. It's some unused BIS art (I think for BG3), a character portrait by Vance Kovacs. I've been using this avatar for quite some time for all my IE games as a character portrait, but lost it when my old PC crashed beyond repair. I recently re-discovered it with the help of J.E. Sawyer (thanks again, J.E.! :p)