Are non-Jedi classes in KOTOR2 more viable?

I seem to remember back a while, that the devs of KOTOR2 said that one of the objectives of KOTOR2, was to make non-Jedi classes more viable. (I'm not sure where I heard it from).

In other words, make them seem better, so they would be used more.

Have Obsidian succeded in this? personally, I don't think so. If anything, I think they have made non-Jedi classes less viable.

Why you ask? Well:

1) You can train some of your party to be Jedi, which makes them twice as good.

2) The droid characters seem next to useless to me. (Sorry HK)

3) I only ever used non-Jedi/droids when I absolutely needed to. (i.e. like

The Sith Temple on Dxun, when I had to use Bao-Dur, Atton and Mandalore in order to adavnce easily)

4) The only non-Jedi I found to be any good was Mandalore.

To be honest, I found all the droids of little use after Peragus, apart from talking to. I also did my best to train as many as my party as possible to jedi status. It made them twice as good, with force powers and a lightsaber.

However, this is just me.

Your thoughts please.

Even as a Jedi, I found Mira worked better with ranged weapons. All those accuracy and Precise Shot feats she gets from her scout levels let her do tons of damage. In fact, I'm not sure making her a Jedi improves her all that much.

And T3 is far from useless in combat. Infinite shields, regeneration, and two upgraded pistols?

Viable or Valuable?

Take you pick. In the first game I hardly ever used them because A. weapon switching was a pain in the butt (thanks a billion for ranged AI Obsidian) B. They would more often than not get hit by their own reflected weapons. Something which still happens , but there is a feat for that specific purpose now.

I still prefer my Mira with twin watchman blasters than anything else.

Hk's also very lethal with his protocols restored and critical hit. I usually make him a custom disruptor with a huge threat range. :geek:

Atton works really well as a ranged Jedi. Stasis/insanity plus rapid shot :geek: because smugglers dont get too many feats and the chances are he's been going the ranged route prior to "jedification".

I have to agree with Volourn.  Bioware is pretty much dead now.  Deals like this kills development studios.

478327[/snapback]

Still, a gun is a gun, getting shot can do as much damage or more then being sliced or hit. These are high tech weapons too since they're energy based, hitting the broadside of a barn with them, even if you're a rookie, which isn't the case in Kotor, should be fairly easy, these ain't no muskets or arquebuse.

I guess what I'm trying to say is, blasters and rifles are underpowered and innacurate in this game, I know why it's gotta be this way, still, it means your ranged characters have to take up swords and lightsabers or get left aboard the ship. It also rules out the possibility of playing a ranged fighter as your main.

I've just played the first level on my buddy's X-Box, so obviously I have only had three characters at my disposal (plus my PC). I'll probably bump this topic when I've had a chance to get further along in the game.

"Console exclusive is such a harsh word." - Darque

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)

I guess what I'm trying to say is, blasters and rifles are underpowered and innacurate in this game, I know why it's gotta be this way, still, it means your ranged characters have to take up swords and lightsabers or get left aboard the ship.  It also rules out the possibility of playing a ranged fighter as your main.

Upgrades are your friend. With the right feats you only get a -2 to AC for using a ranged weapon in combat. Actually I used a custom disruptor all the way till Korriban with Bao up front doing his glowy arm thing.

On Korriban the rules change a bit so I had to get out a tremor sword.

At the end I did force wave followed rapid shot to clear out the stunned targets (watchman bonus) it was much faster than running up to everone and hitting them.

Another one I like is the bowcaster with the 18-20 *3 range.

I have to agree with Volourn.  Bioware is pretty much dead now.  Deals like this kills development studios.

478327[/snapback]

Sure it's viable, but it's easier to play with jedi. I usually let Bao Dur and Mirra get their skills to 20 then swith them to Jedi for the power that allows you to deflect blaster bolts without a lightsabre. I got this ability for everyone I turned into a jedi as well as heal.

.....I like T3 quite a bit - he's like the Ebon Hawk pet mascot.

The main thing about the droids for me, is they don't have all the nifty attack animations, so I personally find them boring to kill things with - and it's that, rather than the fact they're 'useless,' that makes me not use them.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

well I don't like turning all my companions into Jedi .. it feels really lame imo! I only take 1 apprentice.. But I think blasters were much better this time around! and since, apperantly, everyone has studied Martial Arts they don't even need swords .. ^_^

Fortune favors the bald.