What Gender?

What Gender did you choose for Revan & Exile?  

191 members have voted

1. 1. What Gender did you choose for Revan & Exile?

• Revan-Male, Exile-Male
    • Revan-Female, Exile-Male
    • Revan Male, Exile-Female
    • Revan-Female, Exile-Female

I'll go with a male (LS) Revan.

Male Revan:

+ Force bond-enhanced relationship.

+ Triumph of love over evil (the SF redemption).

+ Tale of forbidden love.

+ Interesting result in the event of, er, charges and loadingramps being combined.

- Relationship with a character more than a little girly and brain-washed by the council.

Female Revan:

+ (Sorry, I got nothing.)

- Relationship with a whiny guy...

- ...who is possibly old enough to be your father...

- ...and has a son from previous marriage, old enough to be your younger brother.

Hmm... Male reasons are a bit cliche, I admit, but things like that usually become cliche for a reason.

Exile, I don't really care about.

You'll get no argument from me about women leaders.  Where I work all of the managers (line and above) are women.  :)

There is, however, a difference between leadership and being a general.  Generals tend to be male because combat soldiers tend to require abilities (physical strength[1], testosterone drive aggression, endurance, etc.) that are much more common in men than women.  I'm not saying women can't, it is just that it takes an exception woman (eg, Joan of Arc) to get there.

Note I said "general".  Admiral Dodonna was definitely plausible because capital ship-style naval operations wouldn't require the same physical attributes a soldier needs.

[1]  As an example, basic training requirements for women in the armed forces is easier _physically_ for women than it is for men.  When the two had the same requirements women ended up with many more injuries.

That is a very good point. I have learned something. :geek:

Come to think of it, the Star Wars universe is pretty male-dominated and chauvinistic. No female Mandalorians, as of yet. Only one male Twilek was a slave, in KoTOR 1. Female Twileks are dancers or slaves. There are no female guards on Iziz. Also would soldiers in Star Wars choose to follow a woman, as readily as a man into battle.

Also would soldiers in Star Wars choose to follow a woman, as readily as a man into battle.

Only if she had a perky butt

People laugh when I say that I think a jellyfish is one of the most beautiful things in the world. What they don't understand is, I mean a jellyfish with long, blond hair.

No female Mandalorians, as of yet.

Sure there are. They are just very butch and clad in battle armor. In fact, the greater part of the Mandalorian courting ritual is finding out what gender the other person is under all that armor.

Only if she had a perky butt

Many soldiers would die in battle because they were distracted.

Sure there are. They are just very butch and clad in battle armor. In fact, the greater part of the Mandalorian courting ritual is finding out what gender the other person is under all that armor.

Sorta like the saleslady by the Jedi Enclave?

Revan female, Male Exile. Although I might change to both female if they restore the Atton death scene. What can I say? I love tragic endings. And Visa doesn't do justice. The Male and Bastilla relationship seemed forced and kinda slobbery, plus it was too much like idiotic Anakin and moron Padme. While with Female and Carth is a progress over the entire game. Not until you get to a certain level. Although some will argue that the Bastila one did happen over the cource of the entire game at the Star Forge, I'll still say Revan is a female. And also, remember what Atton said, when a female falls to the dark side, its even worse then when a male does. Revan was ruthless, and sought out the Star Forge to use its power aganist the Republic.

And that means what, exactly? Perhaps he got some statistics about women being more ruthless which essentially means nothing. Whether Revan was ruthless or not is debatable, I'd say Malak was more ruthless and I'd hardly say he was a woman. Furthermore, there are alternative interpretations to the female dark jedi being more ruthless than just the fact that they were women.

And that means what, exactly? Perhaps he got some statistics about women being more ruthless which essentially means nothing. Whether Revan was ruthless or not is debatable, I'd say Malak was more ruthless and I'd hardly say he was a woman. Furthermore, there are alternative interpretations to the female dark jedi being more ruthless than just the fact that they were women.

He might be wrong. And Malak was not more ruthless. The war went down for the Sith after Revan was captured, then he gave half the power to Saul Karath. And you also have to consider the fact that maybe Atton wasn't wrong. That after observing both male and female dark jedi, he noticed that the females were more ruthless.

books written by men i take it... it's all a conspiracy...?

No, it's concealed because it's only available to the literate, leading me to assume it's somehow possibly beyond the reach of certain people.

One of the greatest Celtic warriors of all time was a woman, for instance. Did you know the Celts were/are a people with an amazing and rich mythology and culture, and not just a basketball team? Well, now you do. This is just an example of the treasures you might find concealed in books.

oh yes, the great celtic empire. yeah, it was massive and impressive.... hehehe.

First of all, I doubt he spent that much time socializing with dark jedi considering he was a normal (albeit elite) soldier. Second, like I said, there are other explanations than women simply being inherently more evil than men. Perhaps they wanted to gain respect in an otherwise male-dominated enviornment.

Furthermore, if you're gonna use the argument that since Revan was ruthless and women are generally more ruthless, therefore Revan was a man, then apply the argument on all issues. I can tell you right now that men are more likely to be leaders, military especially, for a number of reasons (ability to handle stress, physical strength, suppression of emotions etc., and yes, there are studies about this). Yes, women can be leaders too. But if that argument discredit the rest, then so should "men can be ruthless too" discredit your argument.

Now that's a more realistic argument, though it is some what irrevelent in a time of stims, implants and blaster pistols, esp when the Force is brought into play.

Ah, but the stims and implants also raise up the male abilities so the quantitative different would remain. :-) Also, more importantly in combat you run of stuff and/or it breaks down so you're back to needing to be able to rely on your natural physical abilities.

I agree with you on the blaster rifle shooting ability. However, when you consider that soldiers are not only carrying that, but around 80+ pounds (36+ kilograms) worth of equipment into combat raw physical ability plays into the equation once again.

The Force changes things, definitely, but I'm more considering the average soldier, not Jedi. The Jedi are more like the old Roman Army military tribunes: unelected officers serving their time. If the Force affects men and women equally then men would still come out ahead (assuming the same Jedi class). I have no idea what is canon because if the Force affects people differently based on race and/or sex then all bets are off.

An interesting discussion. :-D Thanks for some good comments.

I have played through both as both genders (being male myself, I found it easier to play as male in both), however, I enjoyed Revan as a female and Exile as male more. Carth was whiney, yes, but I totally ignored him, and all was right in the world. For the Exile... Handmaiden and Visas > Disciple and Atton. By a huge margin :-

What official site? And if you say that it says "him" then it makes no difference. Him can be used as females now, if the gender is unknown.

http://www.lucasarts.com/games/swkotor_sithlords

Gameplay, then the Chronicles section. Under part XII, I have found some interesting highlights, which I have made bold:

It is a period of uncertainty across the galaxy. After a long and vicious battle in the deepest area of the STAR FORGE, Dark Lord of the Sith DARTH REVAN succeeds in destroying his ex-apprentice DARTH MALAK. After recovering from the duel, Revan seeks out the secret dark outposts he established during the Mandalorian War.

and

JEDI MASTER KREIA, Revan's old mentor, is still haunted by guilt, wondering whether it was her teaching that resulted in Revan's fall to the dark side, and begins to search for him. Sensing his last location, she travels to Malachor V, but is unable to shield her emotions, and is completely consumed by the dark side of the Force.

Now I have never heard about 'him' or similar being used as a gender neutral term... but since I'm not an English speaker, I can't comment on whether that's true or not. But I think it would be odd use of it here, since it's not really necessary to give out any information about gender if written a bit creatively.

But as witchzenka says; that's no reason not to play Revan as a female. I'm merely pointing out that Revan *offically* appears to be male...

Another side to look at is that females consume less resources and take up less space, making them more useful in space travel/confined close quarters. In our society (though it may not be true in a society with less defined gender roles) females also tend to have better social skills.

These are the reasons why females should be considered better suited to submarine duty, though we lost out in the end due to higher ups just being more comfortable with men in active duty.