KoToR 3: Ideas and Suggestions

to add to Dakari's statement -

7 years after ROTJ Luke establishes the Jedi Academy on Yavin by himself.

if you looked on star wars map you would understand my idea, that the planets Dantooine, Mon Calamari, Telos and Yavin are all spread out and there are 1 or 2 masters in charge of each training ground and responsible for recruiting jedi in that territory. And if it is 5 years between the 2 games thats 5 years of no war. The Jedi and Republic have had some time to "catch its breath".

5 years after ROTJ, even tho the New Republic/Rebel fleet is still very vulnerable it still can take on Admiral Thrawn and the Remnant w/ the clones.

I never said the republic fleet in the next game was going to be rebuilt or invincible, its still going to be vulnerable and stretched thin.

I'll admit that my idea for the Sith attacking the capitol was a really bad idea.

does anyone agree w/ the Dark Jedi character and no Sith character tho?

to add to Dakari's statement -

7 years after ROTJ Luke establishes the Jedi Academy on Yavin by himself.

if you looked on star wars map you would understand my idea, that the planets Dantooine, Mon Calamari, Telos and Yavin are all spread out and there are 1 or 2 masters in charge of each training ground and responsible for recruiting jedi in that territory. And if it is 5 years between the 2 games thats 5 years of no war. The Jedi and Republic have had some time to "catch its breath".

5 years after ROTJ, even tho the New Republic/Rebel fleet is still very vulnerable it still can take on Admiral Thrawn and the Remnant w/ the clones.

I never said the republic fleet in the next game was going to be rebuilt or invincible, its still going to be vulnerable and stretched thin.

I'll admit that my idea for the Sith attacking the capitol was a really bad idea.

does anyone agree w/ the Dark Jedi character and no Sith character tho?

i don't think your idea about sith attqacking the capitol is bad. in fact like it. i was saying if it get that far the republic fleet most likely nearly gone. so probably couldn't put much of a fight up.

as for dark jedi or sith character. i like it. even though i'm a lightsider. i said somewhere before IF they use exile and/or Revan. since we played them before let us choose what path we walk. but i can also see it for new pc

I would suggest that they introduce a defensive feat that can be launched during combat. For instance, "Parry Sequence".

All you are trying to do is tie up someone's time so that one of your party members can actually do the damage.

Could come in real handy if you are playing a Jedi Consular, for instance.

I would suggest that they introduce a defensive feat that can be launched during combat.  For instance, "Parry Sequence".

All you are trying to do is tie up someone's time so that one of your party members can actually do the damage.

Could come in real handy if you are playing a Jedi Consular, for instance.

Well, anyone that plays a consular would have shocked him or put him in stasis and killed them by the time someone else does the damage.

I am trying to work out a way to balance out the game abit.

you know, change class skills.....stuff like that.

For example, the Sentinel has no need for stealth to be a class skill....only Watchman and Assassin get the class skill because of their force cloak....or whatever it is called.

If they kept the skill points per turn basicly the same, why couldn't they do the same for the class skills......too bad they really screwed stuff up..

Uhm, I'm sick and tired of people saying, "But the Jedi are all dead! There can't be a Council!"

:thumbsup:

How do you know that!? In K2 there were three Jedi left! Masters Vrook, Kavar, and Zez-Kai Ell. Yet, they still formed a Council to decide your fate, and their next step in dealing with the Sith. I'm not counting Atris because she had already fallen to the Dark Side, she only needed to admit it; nor am I counting the exile because he was exiled so many years ago, and never formerly accepted back into the Order by any of the Masters.

Besides, you (nor anyone else for that matter) do not know how many years - and what events - take place between K2 and K3. The three Masters from K2 are stripped of the Force. Some might have even died from it. But had they not, they are Jedi no longer. But there are Jedi who still lived after the game ended. Brianna, Mical, Atton, Bao-Dur, Mira, Visas, Juhani, Jolee, and Bastila. Juhani's and Jolee's fates are unknown, but we all assume they still live somewhere. If all of the masters of the Order are killed, then it is up to the remaining Jedi Knights to take up that role and lead the Order. And forgive me for saying this and sounding so rude, but in my opinion if THREE Jedi can put together a rinky-dink council in the broke down, bootleg piece of $HIT left over on Dantooine, then I'm pretty sure nine of the remaining Jedi could certainly put SOMETHING together.

And if one Jedi (not even trained properly; like Luke) can train Jedi and reconstruct the Order, then (enough years permitted between the two games) I'm sure nine could take on their roles as teachers and train more in the ways of the Jedi.

Just because the Jedi Masters that we know and have become familiar with have died or had the Force stripped from them does not mean that the Order ceases to exists! It is not that hard to comprehend. When a Master on the council dies, yeah its sad...blah blah blah, but he/she is simply replaced by someone else. And if fate decides that all on the council die out suddenly, then other Jedi rise to the occassion and accept that responsibility.

It is not set in stone (nor out of reach in any sense of the phrase) that "Ooo, all the Jedi are dead, there is NO COUNCIL!" Because who are your to say there isn't? I actually have more evidence and proof to say it is possible than you do to say it isn't. So, unless a developer or writter from K3 tells me any different, I'm going to be operating under the idea that there will be actual Jedi (and possibly a Jedi Council) in the next game.

If your theories are different than others, that doesn't mean you have the right to flame them! Ever since I started posting here I have always respected others' opinions and never once have I berated someone about them. I only wish that you show others that same respect!

Because all the Jedi are dead, and there is no council. To have a council is to dwindle the meaning of KOTOR 2, which was to destroy the Jedi, and it did. Kreia got all the masters in one spot, and sucked them dry. IF YOU have played KOTOR 2 you'd know that there were less than 100 Jedi at the end of the War of the Star Forge. Those Jedi died on Katarr, and with them the flame of the Jedi went out. Now only a very few are alive.

Bastila, Revan, Exile, are the only offical Jedi that are still alive at the end of KOTOR 3. We don't know the fate of the KOTOR 2 characters, and you can't say they all became Jedi, and you don't even know if some of them even died. So therefore you can just say, Atton,Boa-Dur, and Handmaiden are Jedi because you don't know that.

There will be no order, council in the next game, because if there is then what was the point of KOTOR 2's set up to 3. With the Jedi gone the True Sith will attack the Republic, because this was the plan from the start.

KOTOR 3 will not be about new councils, or a Jedi order. It will be about a very week Jediless republic vs the True Sith.

Save a game for new orders and jedi for after KOTOR 3, becuase it fits much better.

DEWAYBE: The High council was the council that was destroyed in KOTOR 2. That council was located on Coruscant. There were only 3 council members left by the time of KOTOR 2, and they were finished off by Kreia on Dantooine.

KOTOR 2 must be completed

umm wait a sec, you say we dont even know if the exile's companions are alive or not but when you talk to kreia about the future she tells you:

mira will die on a forgotten world saving innocents

mical will stand on the jedi council

handmaiden will take up the role of historian like atris OR she will be a killing machine or something

visas will go back to her homeworld and look upon it like she was supposed to OR let vengeance go and follow the path you've set for her

atton will always be a fool OR he will be a predator and kill people to feed his hunger or somethin

im not sure if there was anything about hanharr

the only ones kreia didnt know about were bao-dur and the droids, and you did see a holovid of him on malachor talking to his droid

ALSO, she said that these were the Lost Jedi, that they will be what the future is built on or something along those lines. i dont know what you got from that but i think that means they're gonna start a new, better jedi order. one that isnt so arrogant and uncaring. As for there being no other jedi, there are other force sensitive people in the galaxy that the jedi will find and recruit and build the new order on.

and what has bastila been doing for the last 5 years??? im sure she was doing something to create a new council. i mean thats supposed to be her job, keeping the republic strong, and the jedi do keep the republic strong when they arent hung up on themselves. she was prolly finding jedi artifacts or working to build a new order or somethin.

i do not think kotor2 was about killing the jedi. i think it was more about finally getting rid of the old, arrogant, unwise, weak and uncaring jedi order, and starting a new, better one.

In the interest of putting out flames...

This whole "there is/isn't a Jedi Council" is starting to become very... confrontational. Remember where anger leads...

In fact, there is merit to both sides of the argument. I'll go over both.

Arguments why there is no council:

You have to look at how Jedi have been steadily dying at the time up the end of KotOR2. Not everybody may know this, having not read the Tales of the Jedi comic books (particularly the Sith War), but many, many, many jedi died during that war.

Now before you go ahead and dismiss that as unrelated, you should note that these games were built on the basis of those comic books, and events from them are frequently referenced in the games.

Indeed, the first five issues told two stories - "Ulic Qel-Droma and the Beast-Riders of Onderon" and "The Saga of Nomi Sunrider". When those five originals were reprinted as a trade-paperback, it was retitled "Knights of the Old Republic" years before the first KotOR game came out. And note those names - Ulic, Nomi, and Onderon should all names familiar to KotOR fanatics.

So consider these losses to the jedi over the last 50 or so years:

- Exar Kun and Ulic Qel-Droma begin the Sith War. They convert many jedi students and them to kill their jedi masters. Many, many masters are killed, and by the end of the war only about 1000 jedi are left.

- The Mandalorian Wars (about 35 years later). The Jedi are split on whether to get involved in the Mandalorian invasions given their failing numbers in recent years. It splits the order and many jedi leave to fight the Mandalorians, leaving the order forever either to be killed in the war or be converted to the Sith by Revan.

- Jedi Civil War (KotOR1). Revan and Malak wage war on the jedi, hunting them down and attacking the republic. When Revan is captured, Malak continues to hunt down or convert the jedi in his place

- The Sith Lords (KotOR2). With Revan and Malak gone, the Sith are in disarray and fight among themselves. It doesn't help the jedi much, however, because shortly after the Jedi find themselves hunted down and killed by the Sith whenever they go. To stand united against the problem, the remaining jedi gather on Katarr only to be killed when Darth Nihilus drains the planet of all life. The few remaining jedi spread and hide to draw the insidious Sith out even as the Exchange offers huge rewards for captured Jedi. Soon there are no known jedi left, and the remaining jedi masters from the council on Dantooine are killed soon after too.

Conclusion: If there are any jedi left, then they are indeed few.

Arguments for there still being a council:

yeah that sounds reasonable

kreia did mention the jedi temple on coruscant about the room of a thousand fountains. so i dont think jedi temple on coruscant is destroyed. it makes sense to concentrate there and they'd be protected by the republic gov't too.

Uhm, I'm sick and tired of people saying, "But the Jedi are all dead! There can't be a Council!"

:p

How do you know that!? In K2 there were three Jedi left! Masters Vrook, Kavar, and Zez-Kai Ell. Yet, they still formed a Council to decide your fate, and their next step in dealing with the Sith. I'm not counting Atris because she had already fallen to the Dark Side, she only needed to admit it; nor am I counting the exile because he was exiled so many years ago, and never formerly accepted back into the Order by any of the Masters.

Besides, you (nor anyone else for that matter) do not know how many years - and what events - take place between K2 and K3. The three Masters from K2 are stripped of the Force. Some might have even died from it. But had they not, they are Jedi no longer. But there are Jedi who still lived after the game ended. Brianna, Mical, Atton, Bao-Dur, Mira, Visas, Juhani, Jolee, and Bastila. Juhani's and Jolee's fates are unknown, but we all assume they still live somewhere. If all of the masters of the Order are killed, then it is up to the remaining Jedi Knights to take up that role and lead the Order. And forgive me for saying this and sounding so rude, but in my opinion if THREE Jedi can put together a rinky-dink council in the broke down, bootleg piece of $HIT left over on Dantooine, then I'm pretty sure nine of the remaining Jedi could certainly put SOMETHING together.

And if one Jedi (not even trained properly; like Luke) can train Jedi and reconstruct the Order, then (enough years permitted between the two games) I'm sure nine could take on their roles as teachers and train more in the ways of the Jedi.

Just because the Jedi Masters that we know and have become familiar with have died or had the Force stripped from them does not mean that the Order ceases to exists! It is not that hard to comprehend. When a Master on the council dies, yeah its sad...blah blah blah, but he/she is simply replaced by someone else. And if fate decides that all on the council die out suddenly, then other Jedi rise to the occassion and accept that responsibility.

It is not set in stone (nor out of reach in any sense of the phrase) that "Ooo, all the Jedi are dead, there is NO COUNCIL!" Because who are your to say there isn't? I actually have more evidence and proof to say it is possible than you do to say it isn't. So, unless a developer or writter from K3 tells me any different, I'm going to be operating under the idea that there will be actual Jedi (and possibly a Jedi Council) in the next game.

If your theories are different than others, that doesn't mean you have the right to flame them! Ever since I started posting here I have always respected others' opinions and never once have I berated someone about them. I only wish that you show others that same respect!

Because all the Jedi are dead, and there is no council. To have a council is to dwindle the meaning of KOTOR 2, which was to destroy the Jedi, and it did. Kreia got all the masters in one spot, and sucked them dry. IF YOU have played KOTOR 2 you'd know that there were less than 100 Jedi at the end of the War of the Star Forge. Those Jedi died on Katarr, and with them the flame of the Jedi went out. Now only a very few are alive.

Bastila, Revan, Exile, are the only offical Jedi that are still alive at the end of KOTOR 3. We don't know the fate of the KOTOR 2 characters, and you can't say they all became Jedi, and you don't even know if some of them even died. So therefore you can just say, Atton,Boa-Dur, and Handmaiden are Jedi because you don't know that.

There will be no order, council in the next game, because if there is then what was the point of KOTOR 2's set up to 3. With the Jedi gone the True Sith will attack the Republic, because this was the plan from the start.

KOTOR 3 will not be about new councils, or a Jedi order. It will be about a very week Jediless republic vs the True Sith.

Save a game for new orders and jedi for after KOTOR 3, becuase it fits much better.

DEWAYBE: The High council was the council that was destroyed in KOTOR 2. That council was located on Coruscant. There were only 3 council members left by the time of KOTOR 2, and they were finished off by Kreia on Dantooine.

that what was i wondering . but i totally agree with you. i wasn't sure what council that was i have been erunning at 99mph since i completed game last i ha

This whole "there is/isn't a Jedi Council" is starting to become very... confrontational. Remember where anger leads...

You have to look at how Jedi have been steadily dying at the time up the end of KotOR2. Not everybody may know this, having not read the Tales of the Jedi comic books (particularly the Sith War), but many, many, many jedi died during that war.

Now before you go ahead and dismiss that as unrelated, you should note that these games were built on the basis of those comic books, and events from them are frequently referenced in the games.

Indeed, the first five issues told two stories - "Ulic Qel-Droma and the Beast-Riders of Onderon" and "The Saga of Nomi Sunrider". When those five originals were reprinted as a trade-paperback, it was retitled "Knights of the Old Republic" years before the first KotOR game came out. And note those names - Ulic, Nomi, and Onderon should all names familiar to KotOR fanatics.

- Exar Kun and Ulic Qel-Droma begin the Sith War. They convert many jedi students and them to kill their jedi masters. Many, many masters are killed, and by the end of the war only about 1000 jedi are left.

- The Mandalorian Wars (about 35 years later). The Jedi are split on whether to get involved in the Mandalorian invasions given their failing numbers in recent years. It splits the order and many jedi leave to fight the Mandalorians, leaving the order forever either to be killed in the war or be converted to the Sith by Revan.

- Jedi Civil War (KotOR1). Revan and Malak wage war on the jedi, hunting them down and attacking the republic. When Revan is captured, Malak continues to hunt down or convert the jedi in his place

- The Sith Lords (KotOR2). With Revan and Malak gone, the Sith are in disarray and fight among themselves. It doesn't help the jedi much, however, because shortly after the Jedi find themselves hunted down and killed by the Sith whenever they go. To stand united against the problem, the remaining jedi gather on Katarr only to be killed when Darth Nihilus drains the planet of all life. The few remaining jedi spread and hide to draw the insidious Sith out even as the Exchange offers huge rewards for captured Jedi. Soon there are no known jedi left, and the remaining jedi masters from the council on Dantooine are killed soon after too.

You know people, you don't have to quote the whole fnckin' thread only to answer with a single line. It's hell of a lot easier for us readers to follow the thread if you stick to common sense when quoting and posting.

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

It has made me the man I am today. A man who craves furry hentai.

So let us go and embrace the rustling smells of unseen worlds

ok a few things... <blabber>

1. we probably won't see a "council" per se, be we probably will se a ragtag semi-organisational group directing the preliminary rebuilding attempts for the Jedi.

2. Answering what the subject actually is, ideas for Kotor 3...

- I minght be possible to play as the Exile again, and not level 50. (cringes from emminent Hades loud protestations that "There is no level draining in Star Wars d20"). It has always been more important to justify the lower level realisticly in the story, for there be an actuall rule in the ruleset the game is "based" on. So anyway, Spoiler:

It turned out that the exile didn't reconect with the force, he was just sucking it from other people. A Jedi wouldn't like this, so he would self impose an exile to try to reconnect to the force on his own. A Sith would have seen the weakness Nihlus had and self imposes an exile to try to reconnect to the force on his own.

don't really like this idea though.

- More interpersoanl interactions. The Influence system was a great idea, not implemented fully though, and there were no quests that allowed the NPC to grow. There should be more convos like when you first get to Nar Shadda.

- change the dialong system. I would like to see every option you make affect your alignmight slightly. Put the darker options at the top, so if you just zoom through it, you get darkside options (patience is the mark of a jedi).

Also, when you are slipping to the darkside, you should get more and more darker options and less light options, and the light options give you less. This would help demonstrate how hard it is to return from the dark side.

You could also have the option of saying a line in jest.

- more epic final battle... this gripe is differrnt to other fianl battle gripes. I was seroiosly upset when we got to the starforge on jotor1 that i had to leave some people on the ship. Why? i envision a gradoise battle where your entire posse did battle with an entire army. Same with kotor2.

- closure (gos without saying really)

- hand to hand forms. When you get taught Echani forms in kotor1, i expected to be able to fight wth a different style, with more grace and power.

- a heavly character driven story. Even if you can;t bring lots of people with you, they should all chat on the Ebon Hawk. You should even have some non-party members traveling on the Ebon Hawk to offer insights. As i said, like the start of Nar Shadda.

- Ebon Hawk can stay, but i liked how it was upgraded slightly in 2. So i would like to see purchasable upgrades fro the EH and maybe some real space battles.

Anyway</blabber>

All the hundred Jedi died on Katarr. The only Jedi left are Revan, Exile, Bastila, and as a fan favorite Jolee. As such there is no council, nor a need for one in KOTOR 3. For people to look forward to a council in KOTOR 3 is complete and utter foolishness, as the High Coucil was completely destroyed(finished off in KOTOR 2), and the Temple itself is empty. That's what the came of Coruscant was meant for, to show the HIGH COUNCIL, because the HIGH COUNCIL is located on Coruscant.

Atton,Boa-Dur,Handmaiden, Diciple, all possible Jedi, but who knows for sure that they became Jedi. So what if Mira survived, or Atton, that doesn't make them Jedi.

First of, I'm surprised you seem so hellbent on killing off every single jedi in existence. Why is that? Surely there a few left. It's also seems rather double standard to demand that every single on of them is dead and then make a particular exception for Jolee just because you like him. I like Jolee too, but other people like Nomi or Juhani or whomever and your preferences is no better (or worse) than anyone else's... nor is mine.

Also, it's similar double standard to say that Atton, Bao-Dur, etc. cannot be presumed to be jedi because that is player choice and then proceed to call Revan, Bastila and the Exile Jedi - if you chose dark side endings so far then they are all Sith and not Jedi, and that choice is just as legitimate as turning your companions in KotOR2 into jedi - they can all be presumed to be jedi just as much as Revan, Bastila and the Exile can be presumed to be light side.

Finally, you're reading what you want to read from my post and not what I wrote. I specifically said "knights-made-masters due to necessity", which more than implies a group of very inexperienced jedi working together to reestablish the order in some form and who *call* themselves the high counsel. They would, however, be neither masters or high council in the way those terms would be taken before the Sith War or similar.

and buddy Master Arca died sometime before the Sith war, and Vima-da-boda is Vima' greatest grandchild, not Vima Sunrider herself.

Yes, I incorrectly mentioned master Arca when I meant to say master Thon (the big ox-like creature that trained Nomi). Mea culpa.

I have apparently also mistaken the reference to which Vima was meast in the source mentioned. Still not sure, but I'll take your word for it. Still, if she is Vima's grandchild, then it does seem to suggest that Vima Sunrider must have lived through the events were talking about...

KOTOR 3 is an ending, like ROTJ, where there are hardly any Jedi left. One of the points of KOTOR  2 was for the Sith to finally get rid of their enemies, and they have for the most part. Now a hand full of Jedi,Mandalorians, and the remains of the Republic fleet, are all that stands in the way of the True Sith Army.

I'd pretty much go along with that. I'd still say there might be a few jedi left, but not to the extent that they can put up much or indeed any king of a fight if the Sith began a concentrated invasion of the republic.

The Jedi council usually, from what I've seen, are the wisest of the Jedi who help the young and give the missions. Problem for KOTOR 3 is that, Revan,Exile, Bastila, and Jolee have no one to help, because the Jedi are all gone.

If KotOR1 ended with the dark side ending, then Jolee is dead and neither Revan nor Bastila are jedi. If KotOR2 ended with the dark side ending then neither is the Exile (or he cannot be called a jedi since he just steals the force from others - if there is no force to steal, then he'll have no jedi powers at all), so if we're going to take things to the level you suggest then the game must be renamed since there are likely no jedi - no knights - left at all, unless you suggest that the light side endings of the previous games, particularly the first, should just be assumed and forced on the game - personally I wouldn't want that (though I do tend to play light side...).

When you think of a story, think of how it's going to play out. The smartest road, and best story. KOTOR 3 is about a Jediless Republic vs the True Sith, not an army of Jedi and their council vs the True Sith. Doing such a thing dwindles one of the subplots of KOTOR 2, not to mention Kreia's part of the story.

Kreia hated the force - she didn't much care about the struggle between the jedi and the sith. And the game is called "Knights of the Old Republic", so we must have jedi *knights* in it.

My suggestion for KotOR 3 would be as follows.

First, more of everything. Bigger worlds to explore. More NPCs. More party members. The ability to not be a jedi as a main character. Make the ability to beat the game multple ways like in fallout, where you could be the charismatic leader and **** your way through the universe getting other people to do things for you. Maybe have charisma effect the number of party members. More races to play as.

Longer play time would be cool. Say 40 hours to beat the game just doing story based events, and 70ish hours to complete everything. I cant speak for everyone , but i don't like creating a character playing it then only having 25-30 hours of play time with it. More customization is always a plus. I liked comparing characters with my friends, Fallout 2 characters.

Release the toolset with KotOR 3 like the toolset was released with Never Winter Nights so the mod community can get a hold of it easily and mod the crap out of it. Create more content, keeps the game alive and people wanting more.

Perhaps even some kind of fort on some planet you can customize and build upon, gather forces at. If your sith it could be a sith training academy.

I say drop Revan and the Exile. Create a new story. Something new. Something that does not feel like the movies. To me both games felt like i was playing the movies but with different characters. From a design perspective it is probably easier to not have to worry about all the back story on 2 games to make a 3rd game fit into the story they wrote years ago.

Perhaps for the story come at it from a third angle. Instead of having the jedi and sith fighting and you pick a side, you are say a Bounty Hunter or errand boy from some barren planet in the middle of no where, and your just trying to live through the jedi/sith war. Through that conflict you could pick good or evil, or perhaps some neutral side to stop the.

Or another story angle could be that your senator father was killed and your tring to find out why, and mystery ensues. Let story be not on such a grand scale that you dictate the future of the entire galaxy.

Those are just my humble suggestions. Thanks for the games Obsidian. Cant wait to update my mod to NWN 2, (or to finish my group mod for NWN).

Eric Ic Foster

First, more of everything. Bigger worlds to explore. More NPCs. More party members. The ability to not be a jedi as a main character. Make the ability to beat the game multple ways like in fallout, where you could be the charismatic leader and **** your way through the universe getting other people to do things for you. Maybe have charisma effect the number of party members. More races to play as.

Longer play time would be cool. Say 40 hours to beat the game just doing story based events, and 70ish hours to complete everything. I cant speak for everyone , but i don't like creating a character playing it then only having 25-30 hours of play time with it. More customization is always a plus. I liked comparing characters with my friends, Fallout 2 characters.

Release the toolset with KotOR 3 like the toolset was released with Never Winter Nights so the mod community can get a hold of it easily and mod the crap out of it. Create more content, keeps the game alive and people wanting more.

Perhaps even some kind of fort on some planet you can customize and build upon, gather forces at. If your sith it could be a sith training academy.

I say drop Revan and the Exile. Create a new story. Something new. Something that does not feel like the movies. To me both games felt like i was playing the movies but with different characters. From a design perspective it is probably easier to not have to worry about all the back story on 2 games to make a 3rd game fit into the story they wrote years ago.

Perhaps for the story come at it from a third angle. Instead of having the jedi and sith fighting and you pick a side, you are say a Bounty Hunter or errand boy from some barren planet in the middle of no where, and your just trying to live through the jedi/sith war. Through that conflict you could pick good or evil, or perhaps some neutral side to stop the.

Or another story angle could be that your senator father was killed and your tring to find out why, and mystery ensues. Let story be not on such a grand scale that you dictate the future of the entire galaxy.

Those are just my humble suggestions. Thanks for the games Obsidian. Cant wait to update my mod to NWN 2, (or to finish my group mod for NWN).

Eric Ic Foster

i think if they drop the revan&exule story all together the backlash will be far worst then the kotor 2 backlash. just from i gather from the boards i been on.

I'd like multiple paths in games too, but the fact is that it just isn't cost-effective to do it. Sure it was great in the Fallout series (and a lot of people behind that work at Obsidian now), but there is an important distinction - in Fallout all the dialogue was text only (except the very few "talking heads"), so doing an alternate was mostly a question of writing some extra comments in there and perhaps a few more graphics.

That's not the case anymore, since all dialogue is expected to be spoken, which makes it very expensive to produce. The same is true for graphics and programming, which is also far more demanding today. Computer games have become an industry, and what used to be three to eight guys playing around with a game has become monster groups of 20+ people working full time for more than a year just to produce one game. That makes it for to costly to produce stuff in the games that players won't see - the most will be a few sideplots here and there for replay value, and this is a major reason why most CRPGs today take a "one size fit all" approach even if there are supposed to be different choices and endings in a game - not, for example, how the light/dark side choice is forced only very late in both KotOR games, even though it's best for the player to make that choice as soon as possible. This happens for a reason.

You and me both...

I'd like that too, but I hear Lucasarts don't like to let people mod their games, so that's probably totally out Obsidian's hands. Still, I'm confident the modding community won't let that stop them :(

This is unlikely for the same reasons given above - if you being as jedi you can still 'fall' to the dark side during the game, so there is no reason why the devs should bother to write a sith academy.

They're undoubtedly supposed to feel like the movies, since that is what the largest demographic will resond positively too. You cannot get rid of Revan or the Exile, though, since KotOR3 is probably supposed to close the story for at least Revan. I'm quite certain you'll be playing a new jedi, though, as playing Revan or Exile from the beginning (as some have suggested) would make the game seem less accessible to people who have not played chapthers 1 and 2.

I wouldn't mind a game like that, but not as a KotOR title. It wouldn't be "Knights of the Old Republic" in that case - these are games where jedi (and sith) are at the center. Other games can go in other directions, though. Having a bounty hunter ally could be fun, though (and no, I don't count Mira in KotOR2 - she may have called herself a bounty hunter, but she was no Boba Fett.)

Well, since I do want to see Revan and the Exile, I'm obviously to agree with you. To each his own, I guess... Some of what you suggest might be worked into the plot, though.

All the hundred Jedi died on Katarr. The only Jedi left are Revan, Exile, Bastila, and as a fan favorite Jolee. As such there is no council, nor a need for one in KOTOR 3. For people to look forward to a council in KOTOR 3 is complete and utter foolishness, as the High Coucil was completely destroyed(finished off in KOTOR 2), and the Temple itself is empty. That's what the came of Coruscant was meant for, to show the HIGH COUNCIL, because the HIGH COUNCIL is located on Coruscant.

Atton,Boa-Dur,Handmaiden, Diciple, all possible Jedi, but who knows for sure that they became Jedi. So what if Mira survived, or Atton, that doesn't make them Jedi.

First of, I'm surprised you seem so hellbent on killing off every single jedi in existence. Why is that? Surely there a few left. It's also seems rather double standard to demand that every single on of them is dead and then make a particular exception for Jolee just because you like him. I like Jolee too, but other people like Nomi or Juhani or whomever and your preferences is no better (or worse) than anyone else's... nor is mine.

Also, it's similar double standard to say that Atton, Bao-Dur, etc. cannot be presumed to be jedi because that is player choice and then proceed to call Revan, Bastila and the Exile Jedi - if you chose dark side endings so far then they are all Sith and not Jedi, and that choice is just as legitimate as turning your companions in KotOR2 into jedi - they can all be presumed to be jedi just as much as Revan, Bastila and the Exile can be presumed to be light side.

Finally, you're reading what you want to read from my post and not what I wrote. I specifically said "knights-made-masters due to necessity", which more than implies a group of very inexperienced jedi working together to reestablish the order in some form and who *call* themselves the high counsel. They would, however, be neither masters or high council in the way those terms would be taken before the Sith War or similar.

and buddy Master Arca died sometime before the Sith war, and Vima-da-boda is Vima' greatest grandchild, not Vima Sunrider herself.

Yes, I incorrectly mentioned master Arca when I meant to say master Thon (the big ox-like creature that trained Nomi). Mea culpa.

I have apparently also mistaken the reference to which Vima was meast in the source mentioned. Still not sure, but I'll take your word for it. Still, if she is Vima's grandchild, then it does seem to suggest that Vima Sunrider must have lived through the events were talking about...

KOTOR 3 is an ending, like ROTJ, where there are hardly any Jedi left. One of the points of KOTOR  2 was for the Sith to finally get rid of their enemies, and they have for the most part. Now a hand full of Jedi,Mandalorians, and the remains of the Republic fleet, are all that stands in the way of the True Sith Army.

I'd pretty much go along with that. I'd still say there might be a few jedi left, but not to the extent that they can put up much or indeed any king of a fight if the Sith began a concentrated invasion of the republic.

The Jedi council usually, from what I've seen, are the wisest of the Jedi who help the young and give the missions. Problem for KOTOR 3 is that, Revan,Exile, Bastila, and Jolee have no one to help, because the Jedi are all gone.

If KotOR1 ended with the dark side ending, then Jolee is dead and neither Revan nor Bastila are jedi. If KotOR2 ended with the dark side ending then neither is the Exile (or he cannot be called a jedi since he just steals the force from others - if there is no force to steal, then he'll have no jedi powers at all), so if we're going to take things to the level you suggest then the game must be renamed since there are likely no jedi - no knights - left at all, unless you suggest that the light side endings of the previous games, particularly the first, should just be assumed and forced on the game - personally I wouldn't want that (though I do tend to play light side...).

When you think of a story, think of how it's going to play out. The smartest road, and best story. KOTOR 3 is about a Jediless Republic vs the True Sith, not an army of Jedi and their council vs the True Sith. Doing such a thing dwindles one of the subplots of KOTOR 2, not to mention Kreia's part of the story.

Kreia hated the force - she didn't much care about the struggle between the jedi and the sith. And the game is called "Knights of the Old Republic", so we must have jedi *knights* in it.

i'm not trying all the jedi are dead. but i do believe that there'll be council no new padawans, etc. thios is a time of great darkness in the galaxy.

They're undoubtedly supposed to feel like the movies, since that is what the largest demographic will resond positively too. You cannot get rid of Revan or the Exile, though, since KotOR3 is probably supposed to close the story for at least Revan. I'm quite certain you'll be playing a new jedi, though, as playing Revan or Exile from the beginning (as some have suggested) would make the game seem less accessible to people who have not played chapthers 1 and 2.

oi was thinking on thati guess we can new a new pc for people who haven't played the previous kotors. but give us maybe an option to bypass him. i mean use the new pc to bring new players up to speed. but give vets a option to go to revan or exile.

Well KOTOR 2 the rest of the Jedi dieing on Katarr, that was the point. There were 100 Jedi left after the Jedi Civil War, and they were mostly killed on Katarr itself. I'm not saying all are dead, Revan,Exile,Bastila,Jolee(and I meant fan favorite, not just because I like him, because the majority likes him, more so than Juhani, so you pick which one is the most likely to return)

There will me no council in KOTOR 2, because it doesn't fit. We're not going to open the game being sent on a mission my an invisible council. Revan is in the outer rim, Exile has gone after him, Bastila is doing something else, and etc. The temple is empty, and what Jedi are left are scattered. And we're talking about only a possible 10-15 Jedi left in the galaxy, and that's counting the possible KOTOR 2 party members. So to have a council in the game would be a LOL statement.

This is not how the story plays out. A council, and order is meant for AFTER KOTOR 3, not during. Let the war end before going back into rebuilding, becuase most people rebuild after WARS. Vima can be alive,and some other as well, but they aren't going to form a council, they aren't ignorant. They are going to meet to descide what they must do about the Sith, and that will be all.

Vima Da-Boba was only 200 years old during Dark Empire, she is the greatest grandchild.

LFL license has already chosen lightside for KOTOR, they always choose lightside, so I go with lightside.

And Kreia wanted to get all her enemies out in the open so they could be destroyed. The Exile accomplished this for her. He got the High Council in one place, and he helped destroy the remaining Malak/Revan Sith.

And who says there won't be Jedi knights? There just won't be an order or a council.

oi was thinking on thati guess we can new a new pc for people who haven't played the previous kotors. but give us maybe an option to bypass him. i mean use the new pc to bring new players up to speed. but give vets a option to go to revan or exile.

The question of a Revan and Malak not beign used because the player wouldn't understand if not played KOTOR 1/2, is mute.

There are a 1000 games that have sequels that use the,"You want to know more, play the other games" method. This is no different.

Same thing as going to see a Star Wars movie, but not seeing any of the others.

The question of a Revan and Malak not beign used because the player wouldn't understand if not played KOTOR 1/2, is mute.

There are a 1000 games that have sequels that use the,"You want to know more, play the other games" method. This is no different.

Same thing as going to see a Star Wars movie, but not seeing any of the others.

i concur look at wing commander 1-4 techenically all the person. especially if you play the kilrathi verison.

Another idea, well a story idea, and because it's a story Idea I know it will never be used, but I just have to get if out of my mind.

It involves the Mandalore, and it's a scene during a great fleet battle between the Sith and the Republic and allies. The Allies are taking heavy fire, and can't seem to break through the Sith line, one of the reasons being because of one of the Sith super flagships causing some devastating damage.

Carth com's Mandalore, whos fighting on his Basilisk, and asks if the Mandalorians can take the ship out. Mandalore's forces are tied up as it is, but upon looking at the damage the ship is doing he descides to take the ship on himself.

He flys straight toward the thing, flanked by two other Basilisk that clear his path before pulling off, and he alone flys over the haul, evading fire, toward the bridge. The Sith commander isn't impressed at the stupidity of the Mandalorian coming his way, and doesn't feel they are in any danger. He tells his crew to only use a few guns to target the Basilisk, and to continuie the focus of the rest of the guns on the main fleet.

Clearly the Sith commander does not know that Mandalore's personal War Droid does not have the regular generator rods, but instead a modified version of the MX(a weapon that Mandalore the Indomitable looted from Mandalore in the Sith War) in it's place. The weapon powers up and fires directly at the bridge. The Sith commander is stunned by the power of the blast, but belives the shield held, that is until he's told otherwise by his crew chief. The blast left a big enough hole in the shield for Mandalore to fire a compression bomb right at the view port. The, less looking bug, bomb attaches to the view port of the bridge, and everyone aboard knows what is about to happen next.

Which a grand explosion the bridge is blown off, and the Sith ship begins role away. Seeing the event just happen, Carth is clearly surprised, and gets a,"Did you see that Carth, " from Admiral Dodonna before interupted by Mandalore.

Who simply says,"There's your hole Onasi."

Only a Mandalorian could pull off such a daring attack.

Of course this is my attempt to have the Mandalore/Canderous, do one super great thing. I'd like to have Canderous remembered for something of impossible standards.

He is Mandalore after all.

im interested to know if most people in this forum want to:

start off as a new character at level 1 and what class? soldier, scout, scoundrel, a jedi class or a prestige class? OR start off as the exile where you left off at level thrity?

i was thinking maybe instead of starting out a DS or LS or 2 separate places maybe starting at the same point and having a convo about the exile and revan in the beginning and the choices or questions you ask in the convo will determine what has actually happend and what party members, actions and options you will have the oppurtunity to have later on. For example if you have a convo about Onderon and figure out that the exile helped Queen Talia win the Civil War then maybe she will be a party member later on or one of her advisers is sent w/ you under her orders and if the exile helped General Vaklu then maybe his new colonel (since Tobin is dead) could be a sent to aid you under Vaklu's orders. i cant see vaklu ever giving up power and joining your character but i can see talia being an adviser to a new queen or somethin and going w/ you.

umm did Goto say that the republic will collapse in 6 standard months, i dont remember. and that eiher the sith or republic will control it. so will the events in kotor3 only be 6 months after the end of kotor2 when the sith begin attacking then?

feel free to add to what i post or comment anytime

Another idea, well a story idea, and because it's a story Idea I know it will never be used, but I just have to get if out of my mind.

It involves the Mandalore, and it's a scene during a great fleet battle between the Sith and the Republic and allies. The Allies are taking heavy fire, and can't seem to break through the Sith line, one of the reasons being because of one of the Sith super flagships causing some devastating damage.

Carth com's Mandalore, whos fighting on his Basilisk, and asks if the Mandalorians can take the ship out. Mandalore's forces are tied up as it is, but upon looking at the damage the ship is doing he descides to take the ship on himself.

He flys straight toward the thing, flanked by two other Basilisk that clear his path before pulling off, and he alone flys over the haul, evading fire, toward the bridge. The Sith commander isn't impressed at the stupidity of the Mandalorian coming his way, and doesn't feel they are in any danger. He tells his crew to only use a few guns to target the Basilisk, and to continuie the focus of the rest of the guns on the main fleet.

Clearly the Sith commander does not know that Mandalore's personal War Droid does not have the regular generator rods, but instead a modified version of the MX(a weapon that Mandalore the Indomitable looted from Mandalore in the Sith War) in it's place. The weapon powers up and fires directly at the bridge. The Sith commander is stunned by the power of the blast, but belives the shield held, that is until he's told otherwise by his crew chief. The blast left a big enough hole in the shield for Mandalore to fire a compression bomb right at the view port. The, less looking bug, bomb attaches to the view port of the bridge, and everyone aboard knows what is about to happen next.

Which a grand explosion the bridge is blown off, and the Sith ship begins role away. Seeing the event just happen, Carth is clearly surprised, and gets a,"Did you see that Carth, " from Admiral Dodonna before interupted by Mandalore.

Who simply says,"There's your hole Onasi."

Only a Mandalorian could pull off such a daring attack.

Of course this is my attempt to have the Mandalore/Canderous, do one super great thing. I'd like to have Canderous remembered for something of impossible standards.

He is Mandalore after all.

i would like to see that would be cool.

my scene between revan and carth if we play revan and bastila is missing again.

Carth: Revan, Bastila is missing again.

Revan: You saying what i think you are....

Carth: She's your girl

Revan: This never gets old...i guess we oughtta go find her.

Carth: you could just forget about it or something to that affevt

Revan: go to H***