Need assistance downloading OpenGL 1.4 or higher

Hi! I need some help downloading OpenGL 1.4.0 or higher. I've tried everything and got tons of drivers, I just ne the Howto and a driver. I really don't understand how it works. Also, when I play KOTOR 2, I go onto the main screen, past the opening cutsenes and it goes black when it's time to play. The music runs fine and I can hear sound affects in the background. I'm not promted with any message, it simply stops responding. My porblems are in the scan is that I need a better OpenGL, and more RAM, plus I have a warning on my video card. I can play the first movies smoothly, but I don't know whats happening. If someone could provide me with info on how to get around this problem or how to install a driver with openGL that would be awesome

Thanks

-Ben

Hi! I need some help downloading OpenGL 1.4.0 or higher. I've tried everything and got tons of drivers, I just ne the Howto and a driver. I really don't understand how it works. Also, when I play KOTOR 2, I go onto the main screen, past the opening cutsenes and it goes black when it's time to play. The music runs fine and I can hear sound affects in the background. I'm not promted with any message, it simply stops responding. My porblems are in the scan is that I need a better OpenGL, and more RAM, plus I have a warning on my video card. I can play the first movies smoothly, but I don't know whats happening. If someone could provide me with info on how to get around this problem or how to install a driver with openGL that would be awesome

Thanks

-Ben

what GPU does your system have ??

download the video drivers from your system or GPU manufacturer.

Thanks

-Ben

I got them, but they KOTOR still won't go

strange, ever since I downloaded 1.4, its gotten worse. now I can't play the opening movies ( i have to disable them) and the screen sometimes has all the info in the upper right corner.

strange still same problem

any advice would be greatly apreciate and used

Thanks

-Ben

I got them, but they KOTOR still won't go

strange, ever since I downloaded 1.4, its gotten worse. now I can't play the opening movies ( i have to disable them) and the screen sometimes has all the info in the upper right corner.

strange still same problem

any advice would be greatly apreciate and used

if it's an on-board shared video ram GPU.

i advice you to get a real GPU PCI/AGP.

We need your system specs. Either the contents of swinfo.txt (you get that bt running the program swconfig in your SWKotor2 directory and running a hardware scan), or type out what you have. The contents of your swkotor2.ini file would also help.

Your system may not be able to run KOTOR 2 perfectly. But we'll help if we can.

Well, that's mostly true. You CAN download drivers with OpenGL support for any version they're programmed for, BUT the functions in the software are sent through the graphics card's chips and those chips must have the proper functions built in and optimized. Otherwise you might as well get rid of the graphics card and try to do it all in software at 1 frame per second.

The weak link is really KOTOR 2. It requires OpenGL 1.4 on ATI hardware, which means that you must have both a recent card (Within the last 3 years should do, I think) and that you must have a recent driver to unlock the capabilities of the card.

If you had a recent card but an old driver, the OpenGL calls would fail because the game wouldn't be able to talk to the card. The game would either not run or would run poorly because it can only send some calls to the card. But everything the card gets in a format it recognizes, it can respond to.

If you had an old card but a new driver, the OpenGL calls make it from the game to the card and then the card has no idea what to do with them. It most likely ignores the calls it does not recognize, returning only part of the information the game wanted. This also means the game will run poorly, if at all.

I hope this clears things up a bit without being too simple or too complex.

OpenGL 1.4 isn't a program or so that you can download, it's integrated in your videocard drivers, and your card must support it.....

Correct. The OpenGL support is always provided in the video card drivers. Update them and you'll get the OpenGL support if they is any (if not, it's a shame).

Thanks for the help, hey since I don't want to make a long post but u want to see my specs, could you plz go to page five of SOLLUTIONS TO PROBLEMS and see my two posts there

oh fine whatever

[sWKotOR]

ReportDateTime=2/25/2005 11:01:51 AM

SysInfoVersion=v1.00.60

GameExists=1

GameVersion=v2.00.424

GameInstallLocation=C:\Program Files\LucasArts\SWKotOR2\

[OS]

Name=WinXP

Version=Windows XP v5.1 build 2600 Service Pack 2

Service Pack=Service Pack 2

Status=Pass

[swapFiles]

C:\pagefile.sys=4096

[CPU]

CPUCount=1

CPUSpeed=2394

CPUFamily=15

CPUModel=2

CPUStepping=9

CPUVendor=Intel

CPUName= Intel® Pentium® 4 CPU 2.40GHz

Status=Pass

[Memory]

RAM=256

Status=Warning

[Disk Free Space]

C: (NTFS), UNICODE=2.89GB

Status=Pass

[CD-ROMs]

DriveLetters=D:\

Drives=QSI CDRW/DVD SBW-242

[Video]

Video Card Name=Intel® 82865G Graphics Controller

Video Memory=128

Desktop Resolution=1024x768x32 @ 60Hz

DirectX=DirectX 9.0c (4.09.00.0904)

OpenGL Version=1.4.0 - Build 4.14.10.3762

OpenGL Vendor=Intel

OpenGL Renderer=Intel 865G

Vid Card Status=Warning

Vid Card Driver Status=Pass

GL Status=Pass

DX Status=Pass

[Audio]

Sound Card Name=SoundMAX Integrated Digital Audio

Status=Pass

;Game Options from swkotor2.ini

[Display Options]

FullScreen=1

Disable Movies=0

Disable Intro Movies=0

Sort Modules=1

Width=640

Height=480

BitsPerPixels=32

RefreshRate=60

[sound Options]

Number 3D Voices=32

Number 2D Voices=32

2D3D Bias=1.00

EAX=0

Sound Init=0

Disable Sound=0

Force Software=0

[Graphics Options]

EnableHardwareMouse=1

FullScreen=0

RefreshRate=60

Width=800

Height=600

Emitters=1

Anisotropy=1

Frame Buffer=1

Soft Shadows=1

Brightness=57

V-Sync=0

Texture Quality=2

Anti Aliasing=0

[Game Options]

UnlockedPlanetSongs=1

TooltipDelay Sec=1

Disable Movies=1

[config]

firstrun=0

[Keymapping]

Action286B=8

Action286A=7

Action285B=10

Action285A=9

Action284B=54

Action284A=51

Action283B=54

Action283A=51

Action282B=69

Action282A=73

Action281B=53

Action281A=76

Action280B=69

Action280A=73

Action268=52

Action265=58

Action264=57

Action263=43

Action262=85

Action261=84

Action260=83

Action259=82

Action258=81

Action257=80

Action256=79

Action255=78

Action254=77

Action253=31

Action245=75

Action244=55

Action243=67

Action242=74

Action241=87

Action240=56

Action239=68

Action238=82

Action236=83

Action234=81

Action232=80

Action230=79

Action228=78

Action226=77

Action225=70

Action224=90

Action223=31

Action222=25

Action221=24

Action220=29

Action219=28

Action218=42

Action217=87

Action216=65

Action215=63

Action214=60

Action213=62

Action212=61

Action211=66

Action210=59

Action209=71

Action208=89

Action207=72

Action206=30

Action205=55

Action204=67

there, and that was my swinfo

heres my config settings

[Display Options]

FullScreen=1

Disable Movies=0

Disable Intro Movies=0

Sort Modules=1

Width=640

Height=480

BitsPerPixels=32

RefreshRate=60

[sound Options]

Number 3D Voices=16

Number 2D Voices=24

2D3D Bias=0.50

EAX=0

Sound Init=0

Disable Sound=0

Force Software=0

[Graphics Options]

EnableHardwareMouse=1

FullScreen=0

RefreshRate=60

Width=800

Height=600

Emitters=1

Anisotropy=1

Frame Buffer=1

Soft Shadows=1

Brightness=57

V-Sync=0

Texture Quality=2

Anti Aliasing=0

[Game Options]

UnlockedPlanetSongs=1

TooltipDelay Sec=1

Disable Movies=1

[config]

firstrun=0

[Keymapping]

Action286B=8

Action286A=7

Action285B=10

Action285A=9

Action284B=54

Action284A=51

Action283B=54

Action283A=51

Action282B=69

Action282A=73

Action281B=53

Action281A=76

Action280B=69

Action280A=73

Action268=52

Action265=58

Action264=57

Action263=43

Action262=85

Action261=84

Action260=83

Action259=82

Action258=81

Action257=80

Action256=79

Action255=78

Action254=77

Action253=31

Action245=75

Action244=55

Action243=67

Action242=74

Action241=87

Action240=56

Action239=68

Action238=82

Action236=83

Action234=81

Action232=80

Action230=79

Action228=78

Action226=77

Action225=70

Action224=90

Action223=31

Action222=25

Action221=24

Action220=29

Action219=28

Action218=42

Action217=87

Action216=65

Action215=63

Action214=60

Action213=62

Action212=61

Action211=66

Action210=59

Action209=71

Action208=89

Action207=72

Action206=30

Action205=55

Action204=67

okay theres my specs now what

THanks a ton for all the help

david (thats my real name)

Well, that's mostly true. You CAN download drivers with OpenGL support for any version they're programmed for, BUT the functions in the software are sent through the graphics card's chips and those chips must have the proper functions built in and optimized. Otherwise you might as well get rid of the graphics card and try to do it all in software at 1 frame per second.

The weak link is really KOTOR 2. It requires OpenGL 1.4 on ATI hardware, which means that you must have both a recent card (Within the last 3 years should do, I think) and that you must have a recent driver to unlock the capabilities of the card.

If you had a recent card but an old driver, the OpenGL calls would fail because the game wouldn't be able to talk to the card. The game would either not run or would run poorly because it can only send some calls to the card. But everything the card gets in a format it recognizes, it can respond to.

If you had an old card but a new driver, the OpenGL calls make it from the game to the card and then the card has no idea what to do with them. It most likely ignores the calls it does not recognize, returning only part of the information the game wanted. This also means the game will run poorly, if at all.

I hope this clears things up a bit without being too simple or too complex.

verry complex for me but I get the jist.

I GOT OPENGL 1.4!!!! okay? i got a new driver and thats that, but since i got it things are seemingly worse, and alot of the stuff is always in the upper rtight corner, also the black screen that appears is now 2/3's the size and I can see aproximately 1/3 of my desktop, its strange. I checked the minimum requierments. My Comp deffintly meets them, read the swinfo. I do barely make the video card req and the RAM req, but hey, Im using an XP proffesional, and theres no helping that.

The weird thing is that the 82865G ran KotOR 1 just fine.

Some folks have reported getting KotoR 2 to run on a 82865G, but you have to use a borrowed save to start -- you can't get past the initial cutscenes. I was never able to get it to work myself.

Dkunsberg,

You've posted this exact problem many times, and on a few different boards.

Everyone has told you, You need a REAL video card to play this game.  Instead of spamming the boards, Just do what is suggested, and save up for a PCI or AGP card.

That's a little harsh, but for the most part you're probably right. I hate to say it, but even if you do get this to work (or the patch fixes it), you're probably not going to be pleased with the performance of the game. It could be VERY frustrating to play. I find that playing most games on hardware barely meeting minimum requirements is usually not worth playing at all. Minimum requirements are really more of a 'don't bother if you don't have at least this' guideline. If you want to see the 'this game might actually be fun if you have at least this' guideline, look at the recommended requirements.

I would suggest going to Newegg.com and getting yourself a video card that's actually designed for gaming. You should be able to find one that will run this game marginally well for under $100. Also, if you don't bump your RAM up to at least 512MB you'll be in for some yucky load times and some lag, but it won't make the game unplayable...

Dkunsberg,

Everyone has told you, You need a REAL video card to play this game.  Instead of spamming the boards, Just do what is suggested, and save up for a PCI or AGP card.

That's a little harsh, but for the most part you're probably right. I hate to say it, but even if you do get this to work (or the patch fixes it), you're probably not going to be pleased with the performance of the game. It could be VERY frustrating to play. I find that playing most games on hardware barely meeting minimum requirements is usually not worth playing at all. Minimum requirements are really more of a 'don't bother if you don't have at least this' guideline. If you want to see the 'this game might actually be fun if you have at least this' guideline, look at the recommended requirements.

I would suggest going to Newegg.com and getting yourself a video card that's actually designed for gaming. You should be able to find one that will run this game marginally well for under $100. Also, if you don't bump your RAM up to at least 512MB you'll be in for some yucky load times and some lag, but it won't make the game unplayable...

I know its harsh... But he doesn't seem to listen o_O

Dkunsberg,

sorry about spamming it just seems like its a very common problem and it seems like theres a better way around it. Even so, I don't even think its the graphics card, no matter how poor mine is it would have given me a message so I don't really think that graphics is the proble, I'm sorry to annoy you I just wanted to see if some1 got the same problem and got around it.

really sorry