Lay off Obsidian, already!

"They have to obey LucasArts, otherwise they c=ould quite easily be sued for breaching of contract."

*yawn* You make it sound like Obsidian was forced to sign the contract as is. They chose to so anything that occurs is their fault. Period. Boy.

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

Who's the boss ? It's LA, so it's LA's responsability to deliver a game that seems so unfinished. The so many bugs problem is linked to a rushed QA or no QA at all.

If you employ another company to do part of a project, you are responsible of what they did. They could have delayed the game and then asked OE to do the ending without being paid. LA had all the choices.

No. The game was wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy easierrrrrrrrrr than the first. the scary thing is that the first game was easy.

Funny, but I steamrolled through the the first game on hard and had trouble with the second on medium.

Anyway, you say this, and then you complain about the game ending when an NPC died. If you got the NPC killed, that means you had trouble with the game. The NPC sequences were challenging. In fact, you had a game over. I never saw a game over in KOTOR.

Trying to make a game like this in 12 months seems like they were just asking for trouble. If the problems with continuity of the ending ARE the result of a rushed release date, then thats just stupid. When will the gaming industry as a whole smarten up? Theres far to much of this "get it out the door and patch it later" stuff going on. If they bother to patch it all. I don't know if it's just coincidence, but if any of you have played Star Wars Battlefront, it's kind of a neat game and I find it fun, but it lacks alot of the features we PC gamers have come to expect from a 3D shooter and it suffers alot from many bugs. The former is probobly a product of the fact that it was made for Xbox as well. But it seems to be the concensus over there that the latter is a result of it being rushed out to coincide with the release of the original trilogy on DVD.

Maybe a pattern with LucasArts? I dunno. If what people say here is accurate and it was a time issue, I think Obsidian was playing with fire agreeing to the timetable, but the timetable was Lucasart's in the first place.

You might argue with me on this, but I think that if a game developer, any of them, would stand up and say "We will work on a game until it is finished, we will not rush things.", and stayed true to their word, they could make a whole lot of money with a reputation like that. Course, it might require a publisher with the same attitude.

2DW2

At the moment I am very appreciative of the general tone of this thread. I would encourage everyone to remain posting in the articulate and respectful manner that you have thus far. I hope not to have to take any action other than this, so on with observations and impressions :-

The universe is change;
your life is what our thoughts make it
- Marcus Aurelius (161)

:dragon:

(Almost) no blame in this post, just what i thought hampered the game's development a bit:

LA: They gave the developers a short amount of time, and didn't want to push the deadline to to make the game more "whole."

Obsidian: They accepted the schedule. Of course, there aren't that many reasons that I can think of for them not wanting to. They were given the oppurtunity to make the sequel of a greatly succesful game as their first title, but, it could be because it was their first title and that Obsidian is a new company that they were not able to negotiate a postponed deadline. Who knows?

If any of the above is true, than everything was business. I doubt that anyone chose to cut the game for the sake of cutting it, and thus I don't blame anyone.

If I had to blame anything, it would be people's expectations, of which some were amusingly high.