What happens when you play too much D&D?

ramza

This is the story of a happy guy named Joe, who is obsessed with d&d. Here is how his day starts:

"Hello everyone! My name is Joe and love fantasy settings and d&d most of all! All this stuff is so incredible that it can indeed become a part of your reality! Take me as an example...

Yesterday morning, I woke up at 8 am and was satisfied after a good night's rest. Actually, I slept only for 8 hours because my health was full and because that's the only time I needed to memorize my spells. I can say that I slept very well that night: I dreamt that I was raiding a gnoll fortress along my fellow and loyal companion in order to save the kids from some village that were taken hostage by the vile creatures. No need to say that we hack'n'slash through the horde of monsters that awaited us as if it was mere water. It was just a piece of cake since everyone was at level 16. You see... I am a powerful sorcerer and I am pretty good at casting arcane magic! I always had a gift for magic... I probably am the descendant of some kind of dragon and noone in my family knows that. However, the problem is that I am quite weak physically and that I can't wear any armor. That is why I travel with my best friend, Borgan. He is quite short, has a long beard and always has a bad temper. He is funny with his scottish accent, but he has to been taken seriously when he gets angry. Since he is a competent warrior, I count on him to protect me from any hazards and I do the rest in exchange to his services.

Everything was going well, but as I was about to be kissed by a gorgeous babe (as a reward for saving her little brother), when I made a successful Listen Skill check without even wanting it. It was my alarm clock... Too bad, I have to go to school again... What a waste of time... I could practice my magical skills and become more powerful... oh well, that's how life is... As I tried to wear my clothes, I made a Disguise skill check (just for the heck of it). And you know what? I rolled a 20! I was sure then that I would have a great day. So I wore my leather armor of shadows +2 and went downstairs to take my breakfast. Everybody else had left the house, so I ate my cake alone by using my +1 fork and +3 knife. Just to talk a bit about my family, I have to precise that everyone is skilled. My sister for example has an affinity with nature: she manipulates animals and burns their fur with "call lightning" spells.

As I was going to take the schoolbus, I noticed that it didn't wait for me and moved on its way to school. The only solution to this was to teleport myself directly to this damn place. After casting the spell, I ended up in the girls' toilets. I had a hard time getting out from it without being seen and being treated as a pervert. I don't know any invisibilty spells, you see... Anyway, school is fun actually since I have many opportunities to practice my magic and do whatever I want. For example, in litterature class, I casted a "mass dominate" spell, and spent the whole 2 hours taking a short nap and looking at every girl's underwears.

In gym class, I cast a "cat's grace" spell on myself and manage to jump even higher than the Mr Tough Guy of my class. That was great! Every girl was looking at me with awe.

When the time to go back home arrived, I left school and decided to go back by foot. That's when a band of well-known bullies crossed my path. They dared to threaten me... Can you imagine that? The nerve! I finally casted a "Bull's strength" spell and kicked their sorry AssEs. I KOed one of them, while the others ran away. Fortunately for me, they dropped many things: I found some gems when I looted the body and I found some gold coins, four baseball bats+3 and a knife+5 on the ground. Yeay! I was so happy because I could sell all that stuff to the nearest retail shop! However, I couldn't carry 2 of the bats since they were too heavy for me (I only have 8 STR) and since I already was encumbered with the scroll case I always carry with me. I also forgot to tell you that I leveled up! What a joy! I am becoming more perfect with each day passing.

Later in the evening, I took my bike+10 (it goes really fast) and joined my gf to the nearest wood. Actually she keeps telling me that this is a park, but I can't believe her since we have made so many sidequest at that location. How is it possible to live adventures in a tiny park? Anyway, I have to tell you that she truly is beautiful: she has shiny amber eyes, long white hair, dark skin and pointy ears. Isn't that adorable? I love elves, especially female ones. The only problem is when she rages: noone can resist her when she goes mad. I remember when she had castrated a guy from school one day. That's what he deserved as he insulted her. Noone has the right to insult Aleria. After catching up with her, we completed a mini-quest (we had to retrieve the neighbours' cat) which was worth some XP and some coins. I then had an argument with my gf, and everything went bad for me: she made a critical hit with one of her special attacks and I failed my fortitude saving throw. We broke up after that...

At the end of the day, curiously I had many cuts and bruises and many parts of my body were aching even though I had drunk a potion of "Cure Critical Wounds". I was nevertheless satisfied of what I have done that day. I am a great magic-user even tough the spellcasting is something that exhausts me."

Guess what happened in reality...

Moral of the story: don't play too much d&d

"Ooo, squirrels, Boo! I know I saw them! Quick, throw nuts!" -Minsc

"I am a well-known racist in the Realms! Elves? Dwarves? Ha! Kill'em all! Humans rule! -Me

Volourn will never grow up, he's like the Black Peter Pan, here to tell you that it might be great to always be a child, but everybody around is gonna hate it. :p

O.K.

I think our good friend Joe needs to see a doctor+10, while going to a mental institute+20, while having social counselling+500.

Either that, or I take my shotgun+16, and blow his brains-8 out of his skull.

If this is his liife in reality, what is his life like in D&D?

Oh right, they are one and the same.

I'm glad I don't get obsessed with it.

You write mentally drab threads like these. ;)

People laugh when I say that I think a jellyfish is one of the most beautiful things in the world. What they don't understand is, I mean a jellyfish with long, blond hair.

Actually, I got "inspired" from threads such as this one:

http://www.sorcerers.net/ubb/ultimatebb.ph...pic/2/1843.html

"I am a well-known racist in the Realms! Elves? Dwarves? Ha! Kill'em all! Humans rule! -Me

Volourn will never grow up, he's like the Black Peter Pan, here to tell you that it might be great to always be a child, but everybody around is gonna hate it. :p

a friend of min loves d&d but im sorry io cant see the point. its just to geeky.

The point is that some people really get obsessed with d&d and that they start confusing reality and fantasy. D&D can literally invade your life if you let it do so: for example, my neighbour and a friend of his are totally obsessed and say stuff like: "hey, look at my fork +5" or "this guy must have 20 STR" (when we watch a movie). This is funny at first but can really become tiresome if d&d is all that you think about during the day...

Hahaha.... not really :)

Got your point across though.

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

It has made me the man I am today. A man who craves furry hentai.

So let us go and embrace the rustling smells of unseen worlds

Sort of reminds me of a couple of years ago when we discovered CS and when we went out after an all-nighter. I felt an abstract urge to shoot everyone I saw in the head with the click of my index finger :D

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

Sort of reminds me of a couple of years ago when we discovered CS and when we went out after an all-nighter. I felt an abstract urge to shoot everyone I saw in the head with the click of my index finger :D

Ouch! There are a lot of groups out there that would love to use that quote in their fight against violence in videogames.

Life is like a clam. Years of filtering crap then some bastard cracks you open and scrapes you into its damned mouth, end of story.

- Steven Erikson

I remember reading about how groups were "okay" with game violence because the graphics were so bad in the 1990's. Now they're complaining because you get to see the look of terror in a man's eyes as you beat the living daylights out of them in a game. . .And then do the same thing in life because in the game there were no repercussions.

All because of blocky graphics.

Edit: I used to play a certain play by post RPG on the internet. There was a way to say "hello" in the game that everyone used. People had no idea what I said when I picked up the phone anymore. :D

Fnord.

Yeah, you know I think the fact that I havent actually shot anybody in the head, would make very much a counterargument.

:)"

..sort of

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

O.K.

I think our good friend Joe needs to see a doctor+10, while going to a mental institute+20, while having social counselling+500.

Either that, or I take my shotgun+16, and blow his brains-8 out of his skull.

If this is his liife in reality, what is his life like in D&D?

Oh right, they are one and the same.

I'm glad I don't get obsessed with it.

f*** that use an AK-47 +30.

About violence in games:  I see no reason in blaming games for violense in real-life.

I think it all depends on a person: if he is demented, he may have homicidal urges even when watching Bamby.

Blame the players, not the game.

Do not worry: I'm against censorship and interdiction of FPSs and so on ... I'm just ... slightly worried when thinking of the fact that even the ... demented, as you put it, have access to ... things ... like Counterstrike.

But go on, just ignore me. Where were we before Mr Barlast mentioned that he ... fell for first-person shooting?

The thing is that some of the people who criticize videogames have a point. Sure, it is the person who is violent in the first place, and it's not the games that turn fellow and innocent gamers into blood-thirsty monsters. However, VG can prove to be a mean for someone to exteriorize his violence: some people play VG just to have some good time and relax a bit (this helps them control their violent instincts in the real world), while others tend to believe that they, in their real lives, can do exactly the same thing as in their games. Of course, these are extreme cases.

I remember a trial in which some 18 year-old guy had killed some people with his car. They found out that he didn't have a driving licence. When he was in front of the judge, he said that he was a pro at Gran Turismo and that he didn't need a licence. That shocked many people.

Their are other examples in which small kids try to mimic their favorite characters in Tekken, who kill their friends just for the fun of it (the same way they do in Medal of Honor) or who completely confuse fantasy and reality (see the story in my first post). Those people can indeed be dangerous to the society.

Who can you blame? Maybe both people and VG... It is a good thing that some games have an age limit so that you can protect your kids from violence until they are old enough to differenciate virtual world and real world.

Concerning my topic, d&d sure is fun, but if you make an excessive "use" of it. I think that it can obsess some people in such a way that they can't live a normal life anymore. Some kids start buying swords and play with them, and then there is an accident... how curious...

If you search the web, there are a lot of sites criticizing d&d and saying that it's evil, blablabla... Even though I don't agree with them, d&d can be dangerous in some ways. Some kids literally associate themselves with their characters: that is just sick... Others believe that magic exists... Others kill themselves because their character died...

Anyway, that topic makes you think a bit about the nature of some games (which was my intention when I started it).

Cheers.

Anyone remember this little "gem" ?

http://imdb.com/title/tt0084314/

Violence has existed long before video games. People have always been quite happy to bash each other around the head for a variety of reasons.

Video games are not the cause of violence.They can however shape the act (much like a copycat killer) or they can give rise to the conflict that will fuel violent feelings. Even message boards can make people very aggressive when you challenge someones "ideal" vision.

It's quite possible that someone will be "inspired" by a video game. Or will actually start to see their gaming skills as real. How many times have you heard someone say "I'd be a great soldier because I kick arse at counterstrike" !! (or words to that effect).

Fantasy games have an extra layer of protection built in because they are fantasy. In order to believe a dragon was real you would have to be clinically dellusional anyway.

But playing fantasy games did lead me on to reinactment with real weapons, becoming a collector of real weapons and armour , and a very keen interest in history and millitary history.:) As well as library full of occult literature :p

I've also often wished that my car was decked out "Car Wars" style when stuck in traffic jams. Imagining cars in front of you blowing up and flipping over is strangely carthatic when your stuck on the M25 for 3 hours.

I have to agree with Volourn.  Bioware is pretty much dead now.  Deals like this kills development studios.

478327[/snapback]

Yep, I think games help to get all your aggression out on them, not in the real world.

That's why I don't like all those censorships... like cutting out gore and stuff....

Again, if the person is NORMAL, nothing will happen - it will even help him get off stress and stuff.

I'm eating this sandwich +10 and its awesome

People laugh when I say that I think a jellyfish is one of the most beautiful things in the world. What they don't understand is, I mean a jellyfish with long, blond hair.

I think every roleplaying geek has wondered what his/hers own stats are .. ^_^

We had a good discussion about violence in games some time ago ..

http://forums.obsidianent.com/index.php?showtopic=27969&hl=

My main problem is addiction to VG .. because that is more serious than violence imo!

Fortune favors the bald.