Neverwinter Nights 2 Forums

The Guildmaster

Yeah, I did deserve to be banned, mainly because I gave honest opinions on things without sugarcoating anything.  That is one thing the Bioware people can't hand and that is the honest opinion.

I give honest opinion all the time. I've never been banned.

Fact is, Hades, you were banned because you deserved to be banned. And now you're whining because you spent years trolling and spamming Bioware telling them how EVERYTHING they did sucked.

They gave you warnings. And more warnings. They repeatedly suspended your account, only to allow you back.

And you never learned.

You're the problem, Vinsc. Not Bioware.

I've only just started going to the Bioware forums since the NWN2 move, so I'm not familiar with the posting habits of it's members.

However, from what I've seen so far, I can't agree with your assessments Memengwa.  I think in terms of maturity or coherent/intelligent posts, and the opposite thereof, both boards are pretty much on par.  Now, that's only comparing the NWN2 discussions; I don't know how their other fora hold up in comparison.

For the most part, there seem to be more intelligent posts on both boards than not, at least as far as NWN2 discussion goes.

My experience is that you're dealing with a group of people who cause their own problems and blame Bioware. Thus, having been banned for their actions, like Hades_One, whose little self-serving tale of woe is a joke, want to hide their shame by blaming "big brother."

Hades was a rude guest. He continously hijacked threads and spammed Bioware with "everything you do sucks and I could do better. " It got so bad one of the developers CHALLENGED Hades to write a better module, story, ANYTHING.

Hades ran away so fast I thought his shoes would catch on fire. He offered this completely LAME excuse how the toolset wouldn't let him do it "exactly" like he wanted...

The challenge was repeated by the community. Do something. Do anything. A story. A short module. Proove yourself through dialog. Or an idea. Anything at all by which your "I could do better" boast can be judged.

And bravely bold Sir Hades ran away. He chickened out. He ran away. He turned his tail.. Oh bravely bold Sir Hades ran away.... >_<

Anyway, I'm glad the threads moved. It's really improved the level of participation. Especially with the higher-level modders, etc. who have GIVEN to the community and helped make things better for everyone.

That's hialrious consideirng that there is no more than a few hundred regulars or semi regulars who post on this baord so 'many' sure does seem like an exaggeration even if every single regular was upset which isn't the case obviously.

Just look at the 'complaining Threads'. It's the same people, more or less, posting in them. Not exactly 'many' by my definition.

Sure if you only use this forum, Vol. But they

Life is like a clam. Years of filtering crap then some bastard cracks you open and scrapes you into its damned mouth, end of story.

- Steven Erikson

Anyway, I'm glad the threads moved.  It's really improved the level of participation.  Especially with the higher-level modders, etc. who have GIVEN to the community and helped make things better for everyone.

What's up with this childish "Neener-neener-hah-hah" talk that we've been getting since the announcements? I mean, that's really mature, let me tell you.

You know, I've noticed quite a few people who have only recently joined who have complained both here and at Bioware that these NWN2 boards were populated by trolls and unfriendly to the elite Custom Content creators who deserve our undying respect, awe, and adulation. I just have one serious, non-rhetorical question to ask all of y'all: Did you, even once, attempt to change the "unfriendly, hostile, troll-filled" atmosphere of the Obsidian boards, or did you just decide that, because it wasn't the Bio boards where you are recognized for the CC that you've made, it wasn't worth trying? I have noticed that you, DraconisRex, have exactly 3 posts in the NWN2 boards. Elryn (member of the DLA project), for example, has only 3 posts, all in threads relating to the move, where s/he complains about being trolled (difficult to be trolled if one only posts 3 times). Many of the others either never posted until the move was made, or made fewer that 5 posts in the NWN2 boards. If these forums were so bad, then why did y'all make no effort at all to change them? Speaking for myself, I always actively attempt to change a situation before ignoring/abandoning it. I have had instances where I was not satisfied with the direction of a board, and did leave said board for a time, but not until after I had spent several months and hundreds of posts trying to effect change. In all honesty, it seems to me that the CC creators are just as guilty of what they are accusing OE posters of (relying on a small sample of former Bio-members to frame their opinions of the Bio boards on).

Blech, I'm quite disgusted with all the smug superiority being flung about by people who never participated in the Obsid forums to begin with. For the most part (this post aside; I realize that I am crossing a line here by being a troll, and will accept whatever punishment the mods/admin see fit to administer without complaint), this is a friendly community, one in which NWN2 could have been discussed constructively by both fans of NWN1 and those whose only interest lies in NWN2. Now, though, it's a moot point.

That is a very good point Degan, and those who are newbies to this community such as DraconisRex and Elryn only purpose is to goad and troll the regulars here.

I don't care if a person's new or not, as I hold no ill will toward them if they are. What I am bothered by is the apparent lack of desire to affect meaningful change. If one cares enough to join these forums, then one should contribute in whatever way they can. If they feel that they are being trolled, then they should feel free to contact a moderator, and should try to change things (perhaps by setting an example), not by running away and then making fun of people when something at the forum goes wrong.

Hades ran away so fast I thought his shoes would catch on fire.  He offered this completely LAME excuse how  the toolset wouldn't let him do it "exactly" like he wanted... 

Actually I tried to make a module using the old Ravenloft mod as a base but the titlesets were no good for Ravenloft castle and I never really get a hand on the toolset.

From what I seen the toolset was good to make dungeon crawls, I made some mods for Morrowind and even if the CS was far more intimidating at first it was also far more funtional and powerful (I could make Ravenloft castle on that one) and after a few trial-and-error I got the hang of most of it.

I am not defending Visc actions but truth be told the Aurora Toolset was not as funtional or powerful as we could hope and that was due to BioWare design decision on how the construct the game engine and the toolset.

drakron.png

I am not defending Visc actions but truth be told the Aurora Toolset was not as funtional or powerful as we could hope and that was due to BioWare design decision on how the construct the game engine and the toolset.

But isn't being able to work under the restrictions placed upon you the point? It's certainly possible if you try Adam Miller's Demon module...

It was too restrictive sounds like a cheap excuse to me.

A: "I can build a better house than you can! You suck! "

B: "Show it"

A: "Well, you know, that, 120.000 $ limit is kind of restricitve...., but you still suck"

It can't be soo bad when Obsidian decided to use it for NWN2.

No.

My point is the toolset is not the "eight wonder of the world", it have flaws ... serious flaws and for many things it does not funtion well.

Also BioWare also have a team of staff that worked on the game, proffesional programs (Max Studio for example), voice talent and so are far more equipted to make modules that most people are ... if I had access to such tools and have a working team (one that does not go AWOL 3 months after) with BioWare resources then I might produce a module that rivaled the NWN OC but then comes the limitations ...

Examples ... I cannot add spells or classes, also there is no possible flying, swimming or climbing, there is no world map.

In some cases I could implement walkaround solutions but then I would be fighting the game limitations instead of using the game to create my adventure.

Besides I dont have to prove anything, I got NwN to play its single player varient and not to get a "game builder" software ... and the single player game I get was a wierd mix of Diablo with D&D.

Typing this brings back memories ... I said those things AGAIN and AGAIN in NWN forums years ago but nobody cared, I guess most people there were either sucking up to BioWare or could not see the game pass the tools.

I dont buy software development tools for entertaiment, I buy games and when I mod is because I damn well want to ... I dont anything to prove to anyone, even less the company that made the game and fact is I dont like what I got with NWN but god forbids I bring that up in BioWare forums since they RPG gaming gods or something and know better ...

As for OE using it ... I dont think so since they pointed out only a few things (like scripts) can be salvaged from NwN1 to NwN2 so its not just "upgraded graphics" that would be a suicide move with TES4 being so close to NWN2 release date.

drakron.png

Did you, even once, attempt to change the "unfriendly, hostile, troll-filled" atmosphere of the Obsidian boards, or did you just decide that, because it wasn't the Bio boards where you are recognized for the CC that you've made, it wasn't worth trying?  I have noticed that you, DraconisRex, have exactly 3 posts in the NWN2 boards.  Elryn (member of the DLA project), for example, has only 3 posts, all in threads relating to the move, where s/he complains about being trolled (difficult to be trolled if one only posts 3 times).

On the contrary, I am barely known on the bio boards. Fame, glory, and recognition is not what I, and the entire CC community I hope, are about. I myself am active on the bioware forums because of NWN, a game which I know much of the ins and outs of.

We, being at the forefront of the custom content community, are in a position to help those who have questions and wish to learn or troubleshoot problems with NWN. It is the experience, familiarity, understanding, and love for the game, not the selfishness, greed, "superiority", and self-promotion which is labelled upon us by some, that drives our dedication.

As well, many of us are highly active on the IRC channels at neverwinterconnections.com , which is a hotbed of CC creation. I have not participated on these forums, that is true. But I have read the threads and seen for myself, creative and constructive ideas that aim to improve NWN2 over NWN, possibly making it a better game from the lessons learnt in creating content for NWN, being burnt down and met with flatout rejection and hostility by some of the more unsavory characters on these forums.

And there have been attacks against the NWN CC communty, specifically those at DLA and DD. Much of it is misconception, and the bitter resentment which I have said before, does exist. Now, this is not a dig at the obsidian forums. But there are participants on these forums (and elsewhere), who fall under the naysayers category and are strongly opposed to everything we do. And it stings. Whatever we say, good or bad, is taken out of context and in one case, put up here to be ridiculed (The thread was later removed). Can you really blame us for not wanting to come here and post?

Could I have done more to work towards a less hostile environment? Possibly. But I'm one person. The regulars here on the other hand, should be able to police their own. After all, even you deganawida, admit to problems that USED to exist on these forums and the vain attempts for months to make it a better place to no avail..

That is how I see it. These forums always put me in a sour mood.

And that is coming alot who has only 4 posts. :-

You haven't been here long enough to be even a part of this community. What would help you is that one, you get thicker skin. We joke, we poke, and make fun of each other here because we are a group of online friends. And in my experience friends do that sort of thing to each other. Sometimes , once in a while, someone crosses the line but in a post or three later things are back to normal.

As for all out attackso n the DLA where might they be at. Personally I think DLA and CODI material looks great, but if you are expecting me to pay for user made mods you are insane. I spent $5 on Shadowguard and Witch's Wake and they were okay stuff, but the limitations of DD I will probably not going to buy much else.

Anything above $5 I want hard tangible disc and a fully documented user's manual that I can take to the jon with me. Call it old fashion, but that is how it goes.

Drakron, that's because Visc is the biggest BIO fanboy there is. The problem is, he likes what they do; but he wants perfection so he continues to buy the stuff looking for his next BIo fix.

Heck, i haven't even bought the Dd stuff yet nor am i going to anytime soon if ever.

As for the Dueling Boards; both sides are acting silly.

Both baords have bad apples (me and Visc are tow of them, lol). It also has good apples. Meh.

People should just relax and flame inf un or ignore the flames and just enjoy themselves.

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

I really think it's time the Obsidian vs BioWare boards arguements stop; it's not helping anything, it's not getting anything accomplished and it's all completely pointless, really.

Some people will prefer one board, other will prefer another; it's impossible to have a situation that is agreeable to all sides.

newlogo.gif

I'm sure by now Obsidian are well aware of these threads and the desire to have an NWN2 forum here as well. Whether that happens or not, I don't know, as I'm not at all aware of the particulars (just the basic reasoning) and conditions behind the forum move.

Unfortunately, I have to just ask for people to be patient. Believe me, I want these boards to thrive and I've seen some very good points made by various people here on a variety of issues, and hopefully this is now just a rought spot in the road that we'll be able to get over.

newlogo.gif

That wouldn't be a problem, Phospheric (tee hee), if we could fully discuss Neverwinter Nights 2 here.

Just give up and there also the RPG forum to discuss NWN 2.

BTW Have you ever tried e-mailing or writting a letter to ATARI to ask them to move back the NWN2 forums?

Like that will change anything.

It might happen if you try. If you start a campaign to bring back the forums to here. It might work. Companies love cunsomer input about their own decsissions and opinions on products. If they start getting a flood of letters to urge ATARI to change their minds. They probaly will. Since ATARI doesnt like losing customers. All you have to do is to threated ATARI by telling them your not going to buy any ATARI product. Untill they move the forums back.