Starcraft 2

Actually, I agree with Kumquat.

Starcraft Broodwar is probably the most balanced rts game.

Warcraft was fun while it lasted. With Frozen Throne exp. its much better.

The reason I stopped playing War:FT was that the micro is killer. If you can't micro at least as well as your opponent your dead.

That plus herocraft killed the fun factor for me. (I found that micro-ing my Heroes was essential to win)

And every single game turned out nearly the same.

Bottomline: I got bored with WAR3:FT.

That still hasn't happened with Starcraft - Me and my brother play a game whenever we get to LAN with some friends.

"My life for Aiur!!"

Geez, so much abuse for WC3....It entertained me, at least, though admittedly I'm one of the rare few that usually sticks to single player.

And I can't imagine how they wouldn't make a Starcraft 2. The note Brood War ends on is blatantly set up for such.

I made this half-pony half-monkey monster to please you

But I get the feeling that you don't like it

What's with all the screaming?

You like monkeys, you like ponies

Maybe you don't like monsters so much

Maybe I used too many monkeys

Isn't it enough to know that I ruined a pony making a gift for you?

The note Brood War ends on is blatantly set up for such.

Jim Raynor after Fenix dies: "I swear Kerrigan, I don't now how or when, but someday you're going to die by my hands. You have a good day now"

I'd say it kinda sets up a sequel

and I agree, WC3 was pretty weak. I played throught the single play campaigns, but got bored realllllllllly quickly on Bnet.

Jim Raynor after Fenix dies: "I swear Kerrigan, I don't now how or when, but someday you're going to die by my hands. You have a good day now"

I'd say it kinda sets up a sequel

Don't forget about Duran, the Terran/Zerg guy, if you got to the secret level following Brood War Zerg Mission 9 (SPOILERS!):

[

After their defeat, the Protoss are looking for Artanis and his warriors. They found some possible traces located on a moon nearby. In the mission, you control a small group of Protoss and you can Mind Control enemies to get more units. While searching around on the moon, you disover strange Terran experiments on Zerg and Protoss technology, and at the end of the mission, the purpose of these experiments becomes clear: the creation of a Protoss/Zerg Hybrid! The experiments seem to be lead by Samir Duran, this is the ending of the dialogue between Duran and Zeratul:

DURAN

No. Young Kerrigan could not have engineered this grand experiment. Although her rebirth into the Zerg Swarm has sped up my progress, I can assure you that this endeavor is quite beyond her narrow understanding.

ZERATUL

If you are not her pawn, then what are you?

DURAN

I am a servant of a far greater power. A power that has slept for countless ages. And is reflected in the creature within that cell.

ZERATUL

Have you any conception of what you've created here? Do you have any idea what this... this Hybrid is capable of?

DURAN

Of course I do. This creature is the completion of a cycle. It's role in the cosmic order was preordained when the stars were young. Behold the culmination of your history.

ZERATUL

All I behold is an abomination.

DURAN

Your violence, young prodigal, is typical. As is your inablility to comprehend the greater scheme of things. You can destroy all of the specimens here. It will do you no good. For I have seeded the Hybrid on many, many worlds. You will never find them all before they awaken... And when they do... your universe will be changed... forever.

The entire dialogue just reeks of foreshadowing.

^ and a 4th new faction.

Yep.

Sounds like Xel'Naga to me.

yea, forgot about the secret level

Seriously, whats the ****in hold up with SC2? I forget who owns Blizzard, but you assume they would be all over them for a follow up. All their games sell well, but nothing sold like Starcraft

It's entirely possible that it's being worked on right now and they just haven't announced it. After all, World of Warcraft is finished, so the only game they have officially under development right now is Starcraft: Ghost.

Blizzard has a track record of making new installments in existing series before trying radically new stuff. As such, I would wager Starcraft II won't be too far off.

^ and a 4th new faction.

Yep.

Sounds like Xel'Naga to me.

I don't think it's the Xel'Naga. If you read SC's manual, the zerg story part, it tells us how the overmind absorbed the Xel'naga into the hive mind - removing all their knowledge. Of course it wouldnt be the first time for developers to contradict themselves.

Starcraft is so much better than WC3 it's not even funny.

I usually hate RTS games (mostly because I suck at them), but even I loved Starcraft.

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

Warcraft 3 was to real time strat what CIV 3 was to Turn based strat.

Oh, come on. The game itself sold great and has spawned a ton of imitators. Beyond vanilla WCIII are a host of really well made mods. Tower Defense, Rival Nations and DoTA have all been incredibly popular alternatives to melee games.

Even if you loathe the single-player campaign and multiplayer melee, you gotta give the game props for empowering the community to create their own content.

I don't think it's the Xel'Naga. If you read SC's manual, the zerg story part, it tells us how the overmind absorbed the Xel'naga into the hive mind - removing all their knowledge. Of course it wouldnt be the first time for developers to contradict themselves.

I don't think it has to be a contradiction. All you'd have to do is suggest that some Xel'naga either weren't there to be absorbed or somehow escaped the Overmind. The majority could be killed off, but all we really have is a suggestion that there are no more Xel'naga left.

Besides, the description fits perfectly. A group attempting to breed the perfect race, uniting the best elements of the Xel'naga's two greatest experiments....if it isn't them, there must at least be a link, as the goals sound too perfectly matched.

Warcraft 3 was to real time strat what CIV 3 was to Turn based strat.

Oh, come on. The game itself sold great and has spawned a ton of imitators. Beyond vanilla WCIII are a host of really well made mods. Tower Defense, Rival Nations and DoTA have all been incredibly popular alternatives to melee games.

Even if you loathe the single-player campaign and multiplayer melee, you gotta give the game props for empowering the community to create their own content.

The only credit I give WC3 is that it (edit: seemed to have) ripped off Warlords Battlecry.

Edited by Darque

Well, iirc, one dev at Obsidian should have a pretty good idea if a SC2 is in the pipeline

If you mean Michael Chu, it's possible.

Not that he would tell us. o:)

Is thereany website where I can read the starcraft/broodwar storyline, including the dialogues? I have forgotten most of it, specially the broodwar part.

In order to find that Duran dialogue, I searched the Internet and found this.

I cannot wait for StarCraft 2 ... I have unfinished buiness with Arcturus Mengsk for what he did with Sarah Kerrigan.

She may not have finished him, but I think Kerrigan got vengeance aplenty.