Laundry List

GENERAL THOUGHTS ON THE KOTOR SERIES AND A POSSIBLE KOTOR III

First, let me say, I really enjoyed both games. Morrowind was ES III and still did not have rideable mounts...WHAT, a PSEUDO-MEDIEVAL WORLD without knights on horseback?

And Morrowind, at least on my Xbox, crashed ALL THE TIME. Still, the game was a tremendous breakthrough. Morrowind fans are hoping that Oblivion is a showstopper and fills in the gapping holes of their favorite game. By the same token, KOTOR I and II fans are hoping for a grand slam in KOTOR III.

I spent about about $50 on KOTOR II and I got my money's worth -- no question about it. My thoughts here are not intended to be a broadside on KOTOR II but, rather, ideas about what kinds of enhancements might make the next installment truely stellar. It's just that KOTOR II is what we have now and it is what we have as a reference point.

I actually do have some ideas about what a KOTOR III main storyline might resemble. I will posting that seperately. Here, I just want to mention various ideas that do not directly discuss the main story. But speaking of the story,

it really wasn't bad. True, KOTOR I had a story that "spoonfed" you a bit more, and so the first time through was probably a little easier to follow on KOTOR I. But I have to say, I had a BLAST on KOTOR II the second time I played

it.

(Here is a little gameplay advice: after Telos, make Nar Shaddaa your first stop...really, I built my lightsaber there, converted Bao-Dur to a Jedi, picked up Mira and the Got0 droid as party members, and found all the parts for

HK-47....the Smuggler's Moon unlocks so much....)

Alright, on to my miscellaneous thoughts:

* Totally different engine for KOTOR III...pushing the limits of the Xbox 2.

* Turn-based combat is good for a role-playing game...however, it would be nice to have the option of going real time (even if this was only for the boss battles).

* the main character should be "someone new"...yes, this person will have associations with some heavy hitters, but he (or she) is starting from scratch.

* the main character can be Human, Twilek, or a number of other races.

* other races have various advantages....the only advantage of a human is more Force points per level (yes, I know, the "Yoda" race would probably have more than that...but with alot of disadvantages as well)

* There are party members who travel with you...there are also "this world only" party members.

* in some cases, the scenario may require you to take someone with you from outside your ship....when this happens, this person does not count as one of your 2 followers and this person is controlled by the AI and not by you...actually, there was some of that in KOTOR II...but I would like to see more. I also really like multiple threads going on at the same time (i.e. the second Dxun/Onderon scenario). BTW, the whole Onderon thing really rocked IMO!

* While I liked the whole INFLUENCE thing, I somewhat agree with another poster that it seemed a bit one-sided. It would be nice if the Main Character had a chance of taking an opposing view and still FAVORABLY INFLUENCING that person. It should not just be about telling them what they want to hear. Also, I must have asked the Handmaiden about her mother's robes at least 10 times and I kept influencing her favorably. She should have told me to shut up about that. Anyway, a really good idea that is still in its adolescence.

* let's face it, some party members you like and some you don't...if you continue to loose influence with a party member, I believe a dialog option should open up in which the party member is politely given the opportunity to pursue greener pastures....in other words, there are more potential party members out there than the slot max on your ship and you can fire the ones you don't want...obviously, this would not apply to one or two of the main storyline characters on your ship...but, in my view, there should only be about 2 who HAVE to be there.

Also, a former associate could always send your ship a hologram message if need be.

* There are worlds you can navigate to that have no direct bearing on the main story (a little more open-endedness here...hey maybe you prefer Swoop racing on Manaan or buying weapons on Nar Shaddaa!)

* perhaps there could be more than one place to go on the worlds...in other words, Anchorhead isn't REALLY the only city on Tatooine, etc....even if there is not much there at the other locations, being able to take a speeder to other

sections of a planet would have a really nice feel, IMO.

* I also think it would be nice to have a Force Spirit do most of the mentoring of the PC rather than having a quarrelsome party member do it....also, a living mentor that you have to go out of your way to talk to (i.e. on an isolated planet somewhere) would be a nice touch.

* I did not mind the M. Night Shyamalan-esque *major plot twists* of the first and second KOTOR....HOWEVER, I kinda hope there is no such twist in KOTOR III...apparently, there are many on this board who feel the same...you know, the mysteries have been unveiled...time to save the galaxy!

* Fewer load screens would be nice...but, IMO, not at the expense of more content...yes, I want 100 hours of content if possible!

* I actually enjoyed Peragus...but, let's be honest, this was just Phase 2 of the Tutorial...in order to keep everyone's interest, I would suggest that such a level only be about an hour long.

* KOTOR II had a very dark, Gothic feel. Not that there is anything wrong with this but is it Star Wars? However, having said that: MORE ROBES and HOODED ROBES would be nice in KOTOR III.

* KOTOR II made some illusions to Grey Jedi...mabe KOTOR III could have a Grey Jedi Enclave (on Alderan?)...certain powers can only be learned from them...in exchange for dangerous missions, of course.

- Plano

* I actually enjoyed Peragus...but, let's be honest, this was just Phase 2 of the Tutorial...in order to keep everyone's interest, I would suggest that such a level only be about an hour long.

i noticed this as well. i was a bit disappointed with how...dry...peragus was.

i think it was the fact there werent really any npcs other than the party members you meet and a certain droid.

as far as first planets go, id say i enjoyed taris more than peragus as a lead in to the game.

Totally different engine for KOTOR III...pushing the limits of the Xbox 2.

As long as it doesn't take away from any other feature in the game, this would be nice, but not needed.

the main character should be "someone new"...yes, this person will have associations with some heavy hitters, but he (or she) is starting from scratch.

I don't care if the character has a major role all along, or goes from minor to major, as long as cliches are left untouched.

the main character can be Human, Twilek, or a number of other races.

If used right this could greatly affect the gameplay and add a ton of replayability, which to me, K2 lacked.

other races have various advantages....the only advantage of a human is more Force points per level (yes, I know, the "Yoda" race would probably have more than that...but with alot of disadvantages as well)

:)

There are party members who travel with you...there are also "this world only" party members.

I like that and I think it is a good idea for a possible KotOR.

in some cases, the scenario may require you to take someone with you from outside your ship....when this happens, this person does not count as one of your 2 followers and this person is controlled by the AI and not by you...actually, there was some of that in KOTOR II...but I would like to see more. I also really like multiple threads going on at the same time (i.e. the second Dxun/Onderon scenario). BTW, the whole Onderon thing really rocked IMO!

Yeah, I liked that too because it also showed how major you choices were.

While I liked the whole INFLUENCE thing, I somewhat agree with another poster that it seemed a bit one-sided. It would be nice if the Main Character had a chance of taking an opposing view and still FAVORABLY INFLUENCING that person. It should not just be about telling them what they want to hear.

I do agree, because it adds a little more realism to it, in a way.

let's face it, some party members you like and some you don't...if you continue to loose influence with a party member, I believe a dialog option should open up in which the party member is politely given the opportunity to pursue greener pastures....in other words, there are more potential party members out there than the slot max on your ship and you can fire the ones you don't want...obviously, this would not apply to one or two of the main storyline characters on your ship...but, in my view, there should only be about 2 who HAVE to be there.

Also, a former associate could always send your ship a hologram message if need be.

I would like this feature, but I would like to have the option to send away people who you have major influence on, if they have to go do something but are hesitant about it.

There are worlds you can navigate to that have no direct bearing on the main story (a little more open-endedness here...hey maybe you prefer Swoop racing on Manaan or buying weapons on Nar Shaddaa!)

perhaps there could be more than one place to go on the worlds...in other words, Anchorhead isn't REALLY the only city on Tatooine, etc....even if there is not much there at the other locations, being able to take a speeder to other

sections of a planet would have a really nice feel, IMO.

I see no problems with these, if the repetitiveness of the environments is controlled. I also think this could work because

if you are going to fight the true Sith, chances are, there's not going to be alot of shops in unknown space, but if something weird happens, like a major plot twist where you can communicate with some crashed space travellers, then I don't know. I'm kind of relating them to the scavengers.

I also think it would be nice to have a Force Spirit do most of the mentoring of the PC rather than having a quarrelsome party member do it....also, a living mentor that you have to go out of your way to talk to (i.e. on an isolated planet somewhere) would be a nice touch.

I would have a Force Spirit rather than another party member however, I would really not like to be lectured in this game.

Fewer load screens would be nice...but, IMO, not at the expense of more content...yes, I want 100 hours of content if possible!

No,I do need my life you know.

I actually enjoyed Peragus...but, let's be honest, this was just Phase 2 of the Tutorial...in order to keep everyone's interest, I would suggest that such a level only be about an hour long.

Like NWK said, I liked Taris alot better than I liked Peragus, and for the same reasons.

KOTOR II had a very dark, Gothic feel. Not that there is anything wrong with this but is it Star Wars? However, having said that: MORE ROBES and HOODED ROBES would be nice in KOTOR III.

Well, it was supposed to go with a more of a ESB feel, which i think that it did accomplish.

KOTOR II made some illusions to Grey Jedi...mabe KOTOR III could have a Grey Jedi Enclave (on Alderan?)...certain powers can only be learned from them...in exchange for dangerous missions, of course.

That, for me, is less SW than the "gothic" feel you describe. However, how far in the future is this game, because after TSL

I think most of the master's are dead, but this could lead to an academy where they could do what they wished, trying to rebuild the galaxy and make it stronger in their own way, with not as much of a threat as the previous masters had.

Just some random, probably insufficient thoughts. :)

I hate in game tutorials.  Tutorials need to be separate from the actual game.  I shouldn't have to play the tutorial every single time I start a new freaking game.

Another design flaw and reason not getting this game.

actually the in game tuturial isnt part of the main story. the in game tutorial involves using t3 to run around the ebon hawk.

i think the original poster just said peragus feels like its part of the tutorial because it wasnt a very deep area.

Dear God,

Could you please take a moment out of your busy ways to grant me one small favor. I'm reading this topic about what we'd like as far as gameplay ideas for a third Knights of the Old Republic game. Could you see to it that Obsidian takes no part in this next installment please? Once you've taken care of that, feel free to go back to whatever you were doing before this moment, but I thought I'd just give you a shout in the hopes that you'd just do a quick "absolutely" on this little prayer.

Thanks a bunch, Big Guy!

Chris actually hinted in an interview that he wants to make a third KotOR, with a whole new engine, which would support alot of new options.

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

Dear God,

Could you please take a moment out of your busy ways to grant me one small favor.  I'm reading this topic about what we'd like as far as gameplay ideas for a third Knights of the Old Republic game.  Could you see to it that Obsidian takes no part in this next installment please?  Once you've taken care of that, feel free to go back to whatever you were doing before this moment, but I thought I'd just give you a shout in the hopes that you'd just do a quick "absolutely" on this little prayer.

Thanks a bunch, Big Guy!

How dare you! How dare you! How dare you!

What if you were given snasauges and had to make them into gold in less than 2 years?

I wouldn't mind two PC. Start at different parts. Or you would play one to certain point and then the other until you reach that point. You get a choice to work together or kill each other and both would have their own story and goals.Note both would live until the end of the games. maybe friend could play one and change info of each other games online. Not letting one person to get to far ahead. I think you both agree to play LS and he lies and is DS without you knowing until you meet or the end of the game. Hoods and mask would become important also to hide your face. You could also steal party members even kill some. steal from each other you sneak into his ship and run off with his light saber (w00t) just some thoughts.