How Good Was KOTOR 2?

How good do you think KOTOR 2 was?  

42 members have voted

1. 1. How good do you think KOTOR 2 was?

• Great, when is the 3rd installment to ship?!
    • Great, but lacking...
    • Good, but not as good as the original
    • Incredible potential...should've released a few months later.
    • Wasn't fond of it
    • "I'm still to upset with the ending to decide."

The major problem I had was the lack of dialog with crew and the ending (pending its not leading into KOTOR 3). Otherwise, the story was generally better than the original. I was surprised at how well Obsidian was able to create a story around the original...it was better than I thought it would be. Another major problem was that I would be able to do "B" before "A" and then go back and do "A" and have it seem as though "B" didn't happen yet, and that was a consistent problem. Quite irritating. Still, I can't wait for III. If Obsidian can pop out another KOTOR every other year or so, I'd be thrilled.

This is off topic, but I don't want to open a new thread for it: Now especially during the summer months there's been a huge output of speculations on these forums. ***WITHOUT TELLING ANYTHING SPESIFIC***; can one of you xboxers at least hint whether at least someone came close to guessing anything right??

Zwangvolle Plage!

M

Hi all

I finished the game yesterday. In all due respect to Obsidian and all of the Star War fans, this game was very average. If you play it and look at it for what it is objectively, you will see that Obsidian shipped a buggy, laggy, incomplete game before it was ready in order to make some Xmas cash. As an avid Star Wars and RPG fan, I am a bit offended by this as I did spend 50 dollars and I felt that the money was not spent well for this.

Once again I am not some flamer or Xbox hater or anything like that. The controls were sluggish and overly cumbersome, the clipping, lag, and warping was often and prevalent. More than once the game would freeze up completely. The influence system is broken and in fact operates in the reverse: if you do not answer party members like you would want, then you lose influence with them and cannot find out anything about them. You, being the leader, should influence them to the light or dark, not the other way around.

Also, more than one storyline thread was left either incomplete or it lead literally nowhere and had nothing to do with the story. It was as if the developers did not have time to complete the direction they were taking a part of the game.

Finally, I hate to say this, but once you have sat down and put the time in, you will probably experience a HUGE disappointment over the ending sequence as I did. Let me just say it felt like the rest of the game, buggy and incomplete.

Flame me if you wish, I am just trying to give my honest opinion to a person whio is thinking about shelling out 50 bucks for this game.

This is off topic, but I don't want to open a new thread for it: Now especially during the summer months there's been a huge output of speculations on these forums. ***WITHOUT TELLING ANYTHING SPESIFIC***; can one of you xboxers at least hint whether at least someone came close to guessing anything right??

Even though I haven't played the game yet, I'm quite certain that most of my guestimates were 100% correct.

"Console exclusive is such a harsh word." - Darque

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)

"The influence system is broken and in fact operates in the reverse: if you do not answer party members like you would want, then you lose influence with them and cannot find out anything about them. You, being the leader, should influence them to the light or dark, not the other way around."

Nope, it's not broken. You're just stupid.

And that's not a flame.

9/30 -- NEVER FORGET!

The game was good, but it could use some polishing, imo.

The "random loot" was a pain to deal with, but was a design decision.

I ran into sporadic bugs with the conversation threads. For instance, just as I was about to face down one big bad guy, I accidentally started talking with one character and ended up having the same one-time only (guess not :p ) conversation with her that I'd had at a specific point in the plot not long before.

Sometimes conversation options would appear that in theory you should be able to go back to and revisit, but in actuality you couldn't. For instance, while talking with one character about a trio of individuals, I got my information on the first, and then went through a lengthy series of dialogues about the second. And when I was finished, the conversation loop disappeared forever, and I was unable to get any information about the third individual, even though the context suggested that I should have been able to ask about that person. Looking back now that I've finished the game, I'm fairly confident that I wouldn't have been able to get much information on that third person, but I didn't know that at the time, and it bugged me a lot that I couldn't even ask.

I had a few instances of getting stuck inside the terrain. I'm pretty sure that this is tied to a combination of being in combat (where your party members often automatically pursue hostile NPCs in range) and switching characters at cruciel moments.

Too many times where the hardest part of the fight was getting whichever unfortunate individual was on point to survive the first round. This typically came about because a conversation would end with one character slightly in advance of the rest of the party, and in melee range of anywhere from 3-6 hostile NPCs. Can you say "One Round Overkill"?

One seemingly important character ended up being just a minor footnote that provided a useful plot device.

I suspect that one possible quest slipped through my fingers largely because I had no idea it would be available until it was too late to pursue it. I'm guessing a little here, but it appears to be the case.

Nothing really all that serious, but annoying little things that niggle at you.

Aside from things such as the above, the game was quite good and enjoyable. I liked it quite a bit.

I guess I can sum up my feelings about the game like this.

Its a 9 that could've easily been a 10.

There were many bugs in the game.

The story was in depth and outstanding but was unpolished.

Dialog options were deeper and conversations were longer; however, there weren't many conversations to be had.

The bad-guys, all except one, were not properly motivated in that they lacked a background.

Still, I am surprised a just how good the story is.

My biggest complaint is a flaw in the influence system where they way characters act remains static regardless of alignment. You can make one pc go from light to completely dark and they will still act as if they are light complete with influence loss for doing a bad deed and vice versa for darkness to light. Alignment changes should be accompanied by the appropriate motive and character shifts.

My only complaint are the game's graphical issues. The graphics aren't too hot, and I'm fine with that, but it's absolutely inexcusable for The Sith Lords to have such a poor framerate. I understand the Aurora(?) engine the game uses is outdated by about three years, but couldn't they have optimized the framerate a little more? Here's to the PC version!

The Dark Lord

swesbrly5iz.gif

No one really guessed what happens very well, though I'm sure everyone thinks that they did :huh:

People laugh when I say that I think a jellyfish is one of the most beautiful things in the world. What they don't understand is, I mean a jellyfish with long, blond hair.

Great, but lacking.

As a side note, I think one of the best moments in the game was when you were fighting your way through the Jek'Jek'Tarr (the "foreign" cantina on Nar Shaddaa, can't remember the name) and the squid-like dude from the exchange realizes he underestimated you, and Hanharr keeps saying stuff like "the Jedi is a predator, he can't be stopped," stuff like that. Maaan, the was a great f'n experience. Dunno, just felt the need to share that with you losers. :)

By the way that scene only worked out like that if you were a DS Jedi. Haven't gone through the game as LS yet but I'm sure it's just as good.

I guess I can sum up my feelings about the game like this.

Its a 9 that could've easily been a 10.

There were many bugs in the game.

The story was in depth and outstanding but was unpolished.

Dialog options were deeper and conversations were longer; however, there weren't many conversations to be had.

The bad-guys, all except one, were not properly motivated in that they lacked a background. 

Still, I am surprised a just how good the story is.

I agree with this for the most part. Granted, I have finished the game only once, but I have not encountered many of the complaints mentioned all over this forum. I only came across bad framerate issues on two or so occasions. Didn't notice the problems with the influence system, but then again I hardly had any influence with most people and didn't get to explore most character side-stories (hardly ever took members like G0-T0 or Visas with me at all).

Overall, I personally think this game bests the original KOTOR, and that's coming from a huge fan of KOTOR 1. Deeper story, more items, animations, powers, feats, classes, everything is just improved. Obsidian took an amazing game and the net exchange of what they did with it was made it better. I also thought the planets were much more fun than the original - after playing KOTOR 1 a few times, places like Kashyyk and even the Star Forge got pretty tedious. I personally think Onderon/Dxun was probably the most fun from either game.

Some minor, superficial problems I had: character face selection was disappointing, it had been said that the number was much larger than the first game, but it seems to me that the selection is just as small. Also, the switch when using L+R to navigate the pause menus went a bit slow. I also found it extremely easy to achieve mastery - probably by the end of my first planet after Telos had I achieved light side mastery.