My main gripe with TSL...

(Coming up for air, 22 hours in)

I think the NPC interactions were lacking in KOTOR; it always felt forced to me when we would stop running across a battlefield and I would hear "Hey, Carth - I've always wondered....." Whether it's Visas and the Handmaiden's rivalry, Bao-Dur's contempt for Mandalore or Atton's distrust of droids, NPC interaction seems more natural this time.

I'm actually glad that my companions argue or discuss things (especially me) amongst themselves when I'm not around. It helps fill me in on a personal history that my character is aware of, but I am not - a plot device I think Obsidian used effectively.

Also, the crew squabbles fit in with the tense atmosphere aboard a small vessel with a crew with serious fundamental development. I think, so far, the character development has been on par with the original and the story has great potential - I can't wait to find out what happens next! Time to dive back in. :D

baby, take off your beret

everyone's a critic and most people are DJs

Sounds good. It has me at that much more excited to play the game.

While I feel frustrated starting a new Final Fantasy game and I have to watch 30 minutes before I can play, overall I don't mind games with lengthy exposition. I rather enjoy them.

I wonder how the 'tweeners will receive the game.

The exposition isn't bad... and you can actually SKIP the out-of-engine cutscenes this time around, which you couldn't in the first game. Plus, the first game had all sorts of completely non-RPG and non-cinematic happenings that were annoying and distracting from the experience. Not to mention the REPEATED, totally MONOTONOUS cut-scene that followed... and you couldn't skip. Hmm. The turret mini-game - what a pain in the butt. And heck, K2 actually mixes things up a little, gives you a few different types of turret mini-game... but never forces you to do it.

I found it more natural. So what if it's not centered on your character - have you ever played a PnP (or NWN dm'ed game) that involved only you as the important character? NO! The other members of your party have a life to them in DM'ed games - and it's not JUST because they're played by other PC's, either. Was Star Wars just about Luke Skywalker? It was about the saving of the galaxy, and the hero's involved.

There's something to be said about the fact that they COULD have given us more potential to talk to them one-on-one, and I regret the loss of that. It was special in the first game. However, the first game wasn't dynamic about it, and it relied on gimmicks to make the character's personal backgrounds seem at all relevant to what was happening around you. And honestly, the dialogue this time around was far more innovative and original than K1's dialogue - K1 followed a very direct formula. I find it ironic that people complain on the lack of NPC sidequests - ok, wait a second. Where the heck did SUNRY come from? This is star wars; why are we talking to this guys kid? And heck, why didn't they develop that a little more, make it seem like part of what was going on around you on Korriban? It was interesting and well done, in its way... but it could've been done so much better. Where K2 lacks in interaction, it makes up for in quality K1 lacked.

Anyway- not to be antagonistic, but someone needs to give the strong impression they know what they're talking about (not that you don't), and defend this game. It's amazing how much hating people do on it.

I really liked when you switched characters. Except for the T3 parts, those were really lame. Droids are kind of boring. I also felt that Visquis should have been a human - too much squishy talking for me. I also didn't care for the idea of an evil Wookie. Hanharr was stupid - except when he kills Mira - worst voice in the game. I loved it when you got to pick two characters to go in the tomb of Freedon Nadd that was the best part of the game. The sith guy with the mask is freaking awesome!!!

SPOILERTAG PLEASE!!! :thumbsup:

" [...] hardly compare in quality to PS:T, FO 1&2, BG1&2 and KotOR [...] "

It is a bit funny how you complain about this particular way of story exposition and then list quite a few games that use the same method themselves, but don't seem at all bothered by it.

But hey, I haven't played the game (much) myself, so maybe you've got a point.

9/30 -- NEVER FORGET!

I really liked when you switched characters. Except for the T3 parts, those were really lame. Droids are kind of boring. I also felt that Visquis should have been a human - too much squishy talking for me. I also didn't care for the idea of an evil Wookie. Hanharr was stupid - except when he kills Mira - worst voice in the game. I loved it when you got to pick two characters to go in the tomb of Freedon Nadd that was the best part of the game. The sith guy with the mask is freaking awesome!!!

Shut up I hate you :angry:

People laugh when I say that I think a jellyfish is one of the most beautiful things in the world. What they don't understand is, I mean a jellyfish with long, blond hair.

I really liked when you switched characters. Except for the T3 parts, those were really lame. Droids are kind of boring. I also felt that Visquis should have been a human - too much squishy talking for me. I also didn't care for the idea of an evil Wookie. Hanharr was stupid -

except when he kills Mira

- worst voice in the game.

I loved it when you got to pick two characters to go in the tomb of Freedon Nadd that was the best part of the game

. The sith guy with the mask is freaking awesome!!!

See that there Ussen, thats how it *should* look, I mean for craps sake I am in the general discussion here I so did not expect to see that.

I would like to add most people here have been brilliant about not posting spoilers, but can someone change that freaking post?

Let me tangent for a second in regards to Final Fantasy and JRPGs.

They have storyline, and they qualify as real RPGs. The difference is that you're playing a specific character, whose attitude and background are already written.

To an American audience, that doesn't qualify as a real RPG half the time because it's not YOUR character.

Yet, games like Baldur's Gate are called hardcore RPGs. I know Baldur's Gate is a Holy Grail to a lot of people, but I don't think the story is gripping, deep or impressive. I'll take the storyline of any Final Fantasy from IV on over Baldur's Gate.

Yet, games like Baldur's Gate have a lot more freedom. A JRPG doesn't give you the same level of freedom.

Some people say that doesn't qualify as an RPG, yet Planescape Torment handed you a premade character whose background was already written by a developer. And that certainly qualifies as a real RPG.

Let me tangent for a second in regards to Final Fantasy and JRPGs.

They have storyline, and they qualify as real RPGs.  The difference is that you're playing a specific character, whose attitude and background are already written.

To an American audience, that doesn't qualify as a real RPG half the time because it's not YOUR character.

Yet, games like Baldur's Gate are called hardcore RPGs.  I know Baldur's Gate is a Holy Grail to a lot of people, but I don't think the story is gripping, deep or impressive.  I'll take the storyline of any Final Fantasy from IV on over Baldur's Gate.

Yet, games like Baldur's Gate have a lot more freedom.  A JRPG doesn't give you the same level of freedom.

Some people say that doesn't qualify as an RPG, yet Planescape Torment handed you a premade character whose background was already written by a developer.  And that certainly qualifies as a real RPG.

Conclusion: fanboys will alter their definition of what a RPG is depending on how it fits their game they are defending/arguing for.

"Console exclusive is such a harsh word." - Darque

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)

Conclusion: fanboys will alter their definition of what a RPG is depending on how it fits their game they are defending/arguing for.

Hey, all I'm saying is that if you don't define a game as an RPG unless you get to create whatever character you want, then Planescape Torment isn't an RPG. Considering that most JRPGs easily have twice the plot of a Baldur's Gate, and three times the plot of IWD, then JRPGs need to be classified as RPGs.

They may not be a style of RPGs you enjoy playing, but they are RPGs. They are 10 times the RPG that Diablo is, and Obsidian's CEO calls Diablo a RPG.

Hey, all I'm saying is that if you don't define a game as an RPG unless you get to create whatever character you want, then Planescape Torment isn't an RPG.  Considering that most JRPGs easily have twice the plot of a Baldur's Gate, and three times the plot of IWD, then JRPGs need to be classified as RPGs.

They may not be a style of RPGs you enjoy playing, but they are RPGs.  They are 10 times the RPG that Diablo is, and Obsidian's CEO calls Diablo a RPG.

I know. I wasn't calling you a fanboy. I was saying that typically a fanboy of a particular game will often find arguments supporting that game to call it a RPG.

"Console exclusive is such a harsh word." - Darque

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)

There were a lot of cinematics with Malak in the first game. They don't bother me at all.

But the story in this game is pretty lame compared to the first one. In KOTOR I, you're "bond" was with a hot babe with a British accent. I KOTOR 2, you're bonded a with ugly, annoying old hag. The first game had a compelling story with a surprise twist. The story in the second game is convoluted and uninspiring.

There are tons of cool new force powers, feats and fighting animations in the new game, but they are unfortunately dampered by the massive gameply slowdown.