How Ironic

Thanks Jad'en but i think you were referring to Mongoose. Mongoose, not to start a flame war but I have to make a few points. However let me just start off by saying that you are right about one thing, my original statement was wrong. This prompted me to do a little research...

With Computer Video Cards and computer programming, the actual frame rate can vary. Pushing the Human Eye past 30 FPS to 60 FPS and even 120 FPS is possible, ask the video card manufacturers, an eye doctor, or a Physiologist. We as humans CAN and DO see more than 60 frames a second. You see, the reason this is true is because we dont see in frames. The Human Eye perceives information continuously. You could say we perceive the external visual world through streams, and only lose it when our eyes blink.

I will attempt to explain to you how the Human Eye can perceive much past the misconception of 30 FPS and well past 60 FPS, even surpassing 200 FPS. We humans see light when its focused onto the retina of the eye by the lens. Light rays are perceived by our eyes as light enters - well, at the speed of light. Information is continuously streamed to us due to the fact that we live in an infinite world. Our retinas interpret light in several ways with two types of cells; the rods and the cones. These cells are responsible for all aspects of recieving the light rays from our retinas.

Calculations such as intensity, color, and position (relative to the cell on the retina) are all forms of information transmitted by our retinas to our optic nerves. The optic nerve in turn sends this data through its pipeline (at the nerve impulse speed), on to the Visual Cortex portion of our Brains where it is interpreted.

Rods are the simpler of the two cell types, as the really only interprets shapes. Since Rods are light intensity specific cells, they respond very fast, and to this day rival the quickest response time of the fastest computer. Rods control the amount of neurotransmitter released which is basically the amount of light that is stimulating the rod at that precise moment. Scientific study has proven upon microscopic examination of the retina that there is a much greater concentration of rods along the outer edges.

Cones are the second retina specialized cell type, and these are much more complex. Cones on our retinas are the equivalent of RGB inputs that monitors use. The three parts of the cones absorb different wavelengths of light and release differing amounts of different neurotransmitters depending on the wavelength and intensity of that light. Each cone has three receptors that receive red, green, or blue in the wavelength spectrum. Depending on the intensity of each wavelength, each receptor will release varying levels and types of neurotransmitter on through the optic nerve, and in some cases, no neurotransmitter. Due to the fact that our cones have 3 receptors as opposed to 1, their response time is less due to their complexity.

Our Optic nerves are the path by which our lens, then retina transmit the visual data on to our Brain for interpretation. This all begins with a nerve impulse in the optic nerve triggered by a neurotransmitter in the retina. This entire option takes less than a picosecond to occur. A picosecond is one trillionth of a second, so in reality, theoretically, we can calculate our eyes "response time" and then to theoretical frames per second (However, this isn

"seeing the xbox lag brings warm feelings to my heart"

Those stupid US X-BOX owners who were arrogant shot themselves in the foot. E.G. Lord Satsan or something was like : asdfhasdofihsaoidhf you suck pc users im getting this game tomorrow while you wait till february sadhfasjlkhdfjkashdfksdf. I wonder what he thinks now. :D

I can tell you that its not a huge deal.

You, strictly PC users seem to think there is a slow down every 10 minutes. I've played a total of 45+ hours in KotOR2.

Number of blackscreens: 1

Number of in-battle slowdowns: 1

Number of in-battle pauses while the Xbox recomputes: 1

All of these happened in 10+ hour marathons, and all happened towards the end (actually they ended them because I realized I needed to do other things).

The average is something like 1 every 15 hours, and it tends to only happen when I've been playing for extended periods of time. I would wager that on average there will be approximately the same amount of crashes for PC users.

EDIT: I should add I played KotOR on both Xbox and PC and will play KotOR2 on both Xbox and PC. So no, I am not some fanboy of xbox.

Hmm... you do have a point shadowstrider. The reason though that there are PC crashes is because the huge number of possible PC configurations and the game is not compatible with ALL hardware.

The XBOX may not always have FPS issues but I hear in major battle scenes things get pretty bad (come on, not just 1 slowdown for that). This is understandable because even though the XBOX has a 256bit processing ability, it only has 64mb of shared RAM.

Honestly I have only had 1 in-battle slow down. I have had a few apparent pauses in dialogs, where the voices don't start automatically, or when I try to cycle through the dialog choices there is a 1 or 2 second pause before it moves down or up.

Again this generally only happens in those marathon sessions.

The reason though that there are PC crashes is because the huge number of possible PC configurations and the game is not compatible with ALL hardware.

This isn't the ONLY reason, but it certainly is a contributing factor. Some factors have a lot of effect and have nothing to do with hardware configuration. If your PC or Xbox is getting hot or cold, it can have an adverse effect, for example.

Yes, if your hardware is being stretched to the limit it can cause a crash. Also, if the ambient temperature inside the room is extremely low, it can also cause severe damage. During winter, the risk is great of having your PC damaged if you do not take proper care as a lack of moisture in the air can cause static shock which is fatal to electronic components.

Shadowstrider, I hate to be confrontational but if there isn't a MAJOR problem then why do reviewers complain about it? I'm sure one frame rate drop wont get them to complain/rant about it through the entire review. There have to be quite a few frame rate drops if they make an issue of it, right?