New Ideas That Could Be Seen In An RPG

Incubus2305

OK...

One would be my idea to have a sort of tag-team attacks option. More then just the flanking options and such, like the idea of combining spell-users to amplify effects of spells. For example, you could have two people cast a healing spell together, and rather then affect a single person, it could heal everyone in a radius, or perhaps rather then be doubly affective, it could be x2.5 better. Or you could even have spells which are only doable in teams, something like elven mythals we hear about in IWD1/2 and PoRII, where entire parties of spellcasters dedicate themselves to creating large-scale AoE spells.

I know this can be done in Pen & Paper sessions, but I'de like to see it done in an RPG (Chrono Trigger did it to a limited JRPG type) with a complex spell system.

You'll be hard pressed to get my more original concepts out of me.

Management would be interesting in a strategy/RPG hybrid, similar to Birthright: Gorgon Alliance. I think it would be too cumbersome in a regular RPG, and it's way too difficult for implementation to be provided as a mere option.

That's kind of an interesting idea: having the game start out as a traditional party-based RPG, but then as the characters advance in level, having the very nature of the game change to something more like an RPG/strategy hybrid where you're not leading a party of 6, but a "party" of 600. I've always thought of higer level adventurers as taking on more administrative roles in their particular society anyway, as they advance in levels and power; politicians, generals, teachers... that sort of thing.

Interesting idea indeed... no idea if it's workable or not, but it's something I haven't seen before, anyway.

One could be given the task of defending city walls against an invading army, but you'd need to go out and recruit soldiers and people willing to fight. In the large battlefield, those "600" could be computer-controlled, and you'd only need to control yourself and the party. What you could do however, to make it more manageable, is to set groups within those 600 people, and give them orders in the form of general behaviours: aggressive, tactical, defensive, flanking, etc. That way you'd remove the need to order about 600 + you and your party.

A little off topic, but does anyone think that a modern-day real world RPG could be made? and if so how fun it would be?

Im not talking like a war rpg, but more of like a modern day deus ex, with more focus on character development? Like an assassin or mercenary, or maybe just an explorer. I dunno, I just think it would be an interesting concept, and to see what would replace magic and spells. tech levels maybe?

I'd like to see a modern-day rpg. Minus all the conspiracy stuff. Minus having the player into a set role of adventurer or hitman. The idea of an rpg is to play a role? I'd like to decide upon my own role than have somebody pick it for me. ;)

A non-linear hitman game would be nice though. Sort of like Hitman 47 and gta3. I can dig it. Spells and tech are in Arcanum.

Anyway;

Instead of the standard learning a spell school and learning the 4 spells (with obligatory useless spells to get to the good ones) I'd prefer something a little more free-form, like no magic schools at all. Learning magic should be non-restrictive, stuff like being able to make up your own spells (and able to do what you want, not like morrowinds expensive and fairly boring system). Wizards should be able to trade spells they've learnt or made up. A bit like collecting cards, but magic.

Shop-keepers. Why do they exist in rpgs besides to be killed and stolen from? They always have ridiculous prices and a stupid choice of equipment. Does anybody bother using shops besides at the end of the game where you can't be bothered running around a dungeon to find a little trinket?

Instead they should either stop making silly dungeons with phat loot or make the prices a little more accessible. The people who want that equipment usually don't need it as you can get it free after a bit of fighting. I can't think of a decent solution besides stopping dungeons or replacing shop-keepers with insurance salesmen. Mabye just have the weapons or healer guy have quests as payment instead of money.

Making the game easier at the start and harder at the end instead of the other way around.

Come up with a decent reason for some farmer nobody has heard of to become the most powerful being in the universe in a year. (similair to last 'point')

Personally I'd like to see an rpg that has a lot of dialouge and barely any combat. Killing somebody should be serious business, less is more and all that junk. It'd also stop the need for repeatedly getting new equipment and levelling up as the player would have to learn through reading and discussing. The option for combat should still be there, just make it as challenging as it is for a thief character to exist in most rpgs. Re-playability could be done through not allowing the player access to everything in one play-through.

I'd also like rpgs to be set in smaller areas. It's fine being able to travel around a continent with a bunch of small cities where you have to fed-ex stuff about, but I'd prefer all those cities to be condensed into 2-3 cities.

Mostly complaints really abouts rpgs. I haven't played many rpgs, but from what I've played the things I have written have been pretty annoying. I like certain titles in the genre a lot, my favourite games. But they could be a lot better if they didn't follow cliches or pander to the majority. I don't care if a company has to stay afloat by making it more accessible. Do you look at the top selling games? Those are usually innovative and aren't the same stuff shovelled out last time. Anyway, that was a bit off-topic and ramblesque so IGUWESSILSHSUTTHTEFURKCFCUPUNOWW?

edit: some of the stuff suggested here is in silent storm.

>*

For real world RPGs, Shenmue on the consoles is pretty good. Kind of overwhelming, as I believe you can enter any and every door you see in the streets.....

Now THAT's what I'd like. Freedom to open each and every door I see (and take the consequences for doing so). That and customizable, driveable vehicles in a full 3D, third person viewed world, of course.. ;)

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

For real world RPGs, Shenmue on the consoles is pretty good. Kind of overwhelming, as I believe you can enter any and every door you see in the streets.....

Now THAT's what I'd like. Freedom to open each and every door I see (and take the consequences for doing so). That and customizable, driveable vehicles in a full 3D, third person viewed world, of course.. ;)

Thats not role-playing, in my opinion.

There is more to role-playing then just freedom to do whatever you want. Sure its a VITAL part, but the car you drive, and the ability to open every door in a city aren't the vital parts, they don't really play a factor in a characters development... unless you're a random breaking and entering street racer.

Thats not role-playing, in my opinion.

There is more to role-playing then just freedom to do whatever you want.  Sure its a VITAL part, but the car you drive, and the ability to open every door in a city aren't the vital parts, they don't really play a factor in a characters development... unless you're a random breaking and entering street racer.

Well, I wasn't exactly implying that driving and barging into people's houses were the only things you could do in the game. Of course, you'd need a good set of RPG rules, interesting character development and a well written main story too.. But I was trying to mention the "New Ideas" that I really would like to see in a RPG. Was just trying to be on topic, not trying to be vague ;)

Imo if houses keep using the same template then having multiples of them (especially if the player is the "must explore everything" type), things will get boring fast.

true!

by all means put in 700 houses, but make them unique enought that i would actually want to enter them and see whats there,

Now THAT's what I'd like. Freedom to open each and every door I see (and take the consequences for doing so).

I am trying to think of games where I haven't had that ability, assuming a sufficiently high lockpick skill. There are just so many that let you do it. Even Baldurs Gate gave you this ability I think. You aren't by some chance a consoloe RPG player (the enemy)?

Would it bother you if the only "consequences" of opening the door were to find a nearly identical interior to every other door in town complete with a nearly identical occupant doing something, well, nearly identical to all the rest? This is the only reason why perhaps not every game gives you that option. There isn't all that much point. Although, I do agree it should be there.

In addition to being able to open any door, Elder Scrolls: Arena also gave you the ability to knock out sections of a dungeon wall (some kind of spell I think) and traverse to whatever is over there. Even if the wall is multi-blocks thick it let you "drill through" to whatever was on the other side. I agree that it was a cool ability which they had to remove in Daggerfall presumably because of the totally twisting, non-linear dungeon shapes in the newer game. Or maybe they felt it unbalanced the game.

I am trying to think of games where I haven't had that ability, assuming a sufficiently high lockpick skill. There are just so many that let you do it. Even Baldurs Gate gave you this ability I think. You aren't by some chance a consoloe RPG player (the enemy)?

The closest thing I've ever owned to a console must have been my first computer: a Spectrum ZX 48 Kb.. so no, I am not a console owner.

If you play KotOR, you'll see lots of places that are unopenable. Same with Mistmare, Vampire: The Masquerade - Redemption, Lionheart, and so on. There are quite a few of them out there.

But I was mostly thinking about a 3D world, filled with houses where NPC's live, sleep, and eat. It is probably much easier to make houses enterable in isometric games, since lots of those types of games have all enterable houses.

Shenmue sounded like a 3D game set in modern time, complete with skyscrapers and supermarkets. That's what sounded good to me.

...da one t'ing that I's always wanted but ne'er seen in a cRPG was:

WEMICS

...now, theys finally gonna be available...

...IN NEVERWORKIN'RIGHT...

...figures...next, I imagine I's 'ave a safe fall on me from da top o' a 400-foot golden apple tree I find... :lol:

...WHO LUVS YA, BABY!!...

A long, long time ago, but I can still remember,
How the Trolling used to make me smile.
And I knew if I had my chance, I could egg on a few Trolls to "dance",
And maybe we'd be happy for a while.
But then Krackhead left and so did Klown;
Volo and Turnip were banned, Mystake got run out o' town.
Bad news on the Front Page,
BIOweenia said goodbye in a heated rage.
I can't remember if I cried
When I heard that TORN was recently fried,
But sadness touched me deep inside,
The day...Black Isle died.

For tarna, Visc, an' the rest o' the ol' Islanders that fell along the way

• 3 weeks later...

When I weep for Jefferson(and I can grieve as long as I want :rolleyes: ) I miss the potential of the rest system most as well as the CNPC influence system.

I would like to see CNPC or Party NPCs able to develope relationships among themselves the nature of which may be influenced by the PC or events experienced individually or together. For instance does it make sense for Aerie and Korgan to bicker endlessly after being battle tested repeatedly and saving each others lives repeatedly? On the flip side the PC's handling of a key event could drive a wedge between them that becomes ireconsilable and their dislike would go from passive to active. NPCs could also develope romances or mentoring relationships and other things under the right set of circumstances.

I would get quite a bit of amusement out of this feature as if each play was kind of a 'what if' episode in that games universe. Of course it seems like a lot of work already for questionable return...

How about a Space Opera type game basd on a campy sci-fi series. Something like "Lost in Space" or "Flash Gordon"/Buck Rogers". Even Doctor Who could be interesting, but I'd tend towards something where the tech is more obvious. I think you'd have a lot of room for roleplay with campy bad guys.

Or maybe a space pirate theme. You have ship-to-ship, boarding parties, and you can get parts to upgrade your ship. It might end up being more of a strategy than RP perhaps, but once you build up ships, assign captains from more experienced crews, etc. you still have lots of room for role-play.

If all else fails, Massters of Magic 2 is a title I'll buy as soon as it hits the shelves.

How about a Space Opera type game basd on a campy sci-fi series. Something like "Lost in Space" or "Flash Gordon"/Buck Rogers".

SSI actually did make a few RPG's based on the Buck Rogers universe: Buck Rogers - Countdown to Doomsday and Buck Rogers - Matrix Cubed.

They use the same engine as the Gold Box games (Pool of Radiance, Champions of Krynn etc.) but instead of fantasy you get sci-fi! I could personally never get myself to play through these games, since I was young and had just finished the Pool of Radiance-saga, but if I'm not entirely mistaken I kind of remember these games getting very decent reviews.

Ps. The links are from Home Of the Underdogs, a really good page dedicated to old games.