Relations with Interplay- Fallout, Baldur's Gate

Zorrelak

If Interplay came to Obsidian and asked for you guys to externally develop a video-game for them (such as Fallout or Baldur's Gate), would you guys consider? (of course they would pay for all of the development costs & you would receive royalties from the game)

And if you can answer this....

Have you guys & Interplay been talking at all since this new development studio has been founded? It seems to me that Interplay would go to you guys first for development of a RPG title considering they already know all of you and the experience you have.

Lastly, the question that might be able to solve all of my questions.....are you guys and Interplay on good terms?

Zorrelack please don`t take this personally, it`s not an attack on you in any way but let me just say this:

you guys to externally develop a video-game for them (such as Fallout or Baldur's Gate), would you guys consider? (of course they would pay for all of the development costs

MUUUAAAHHHAAHHHAAMMUUUUUAAAHHHHHAAHHHHHAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sorry i had to take this out of my system, again nothing personal.

Lol ....that was pretty funny! :D no offense taken. Seeing 7 thousand in their bank account last quarter was pretty scary. In any case, I'm sure there in the millions now due to BGDA2,Galleon sale, and everyone's favorite- FOBOS. I just hope they can hang onto it.

You know...I think Interplay's strategy is to develop console-only games internally and externally develop their PC titles (mainly Fallout considering how they are holding onto it so tightly it seems like they want to be the ones publishing it, which means the only way they can do this is to externally develop the game seeing as how the remainder of Black Isle is working on a console game) They also can choose to do this with Icewind Dale, and possibly BG3 since the rights are still questionable. This may be where Obsidian comes into the picture.

You know...I think Interplay's strategy is to develop console-only games internally and externally develop their PC titles (mainly Fallout considering how they are holding onto it so tightly it seems like they want to be the ones publishing it, which means the only way they can do this is to externally develop the game seeing as how the remainder of Black Isle is working on a console game) They also can choose to do this with Icewind Dale, and possibly BG3 since the rights are still questionable. This may be where Obsidian comes into the picture.

*Shakes violently with fear.*

I think what Briosafreak is getting at, besides that IP has no money, is that they haven't been really trustworthy as a publisher previously (ie, Lionheart).

I think the ppl Obsidian would probably like to work on some of the licenses IP has (FO?) some day, but I doubt they'd want IP funding it.

Yes, that`s the "broader deal" i talk about in another post.

The thing is after

-the closing of the development branch of Titus

-the problems with Titus japan

-Avalon money, including the deal with Akklaim to FOBOS and BGDA2 goes to the creditors, since it`s pratically bankrupt

-Titus is beeing run by a french bank

-after complaints from Reflexive that they were tricked by Iplay more than once

-after Snowblind beeing less than happy with Iplay

-with former BIS members explaining how Herve told them Iplay had a new strategic partner that would bring loads of cash, and then sign a new deal with Vivendi "forgetting" to explain what went wrong to the same BIS and Iplay staff members

-after beeing ridicularized in so many websites and major mags like PCGamer USA

-after writing in the quarter report you quote that they weren`t sure if they could pay salaries after January this year

- and after calling off direct payements to staff, using checks to pay the salaries (wich in a few cases even bounced back)

i do think that even if they do have the money, no one will trust them at this point.

But well let them try, i won`t wish them good luck though, just don`t care much really.

This is a joke, right?

Exitium

RPG Codex - the premier avant garde gaming news site.

"It is more convenient to follow one's conscience than one's intelligence, for at every failure, conscience finds an excuse and an encouragement in itself. That is why there are so many conscientious and so few intelligent people." - Nietzsche

Z have you ever thought that there probably is no love between IPLY and Obsidian. Black Isle was Feargus' pride and joy, do you think he was happy resigning?

Not only that Obsidian needs to make a name for themselves, they do not need to affiliate themselves with old IPY titles like IWD, BG or Fallout. And, sorry FO fans but I want something new and exciting, I don't want to see obsidian being a retro game publisher. FO, IWD and BG are dead.

Life is like a clam. Years of filtering crap then some bastard cracks you open and scrapes you into its damned mouth, end of story.

- Steven Erikson

I for one would love to see Fallout 3 made by OE but what's being said here seems logical, particularly the statements about Interplay's finances and ability to pay. Seems to me that anyone that would sign something where Interplay "promises to pay" should get it over with and jump into oncoming traffic on the 55. Better to die quickly instead of working yourself to death for a couple of years, only to wake up one day to find yourself broke...

I'd support Interplay selling the Fallout PC license to Obsidian (which they cannot currently afford) or possibly them licensing from Interplay the right to the game (but Obsidian uses a different publisher and isn't paid by Interplay to develop the game). Either would be good and would give Interplay some cash with no risk. I don't think it would be a good idea to develop the game for Interplay. Too many problems as others have stated in the past with Interplay dealing with the external developers.

You gotta keep in mind that corporations --like people-- fight like cornered weasels when wounded, so when Iplay crumbled (under their own financial ineptitude) a lot of crap went haywire, but if ...a big IF... Iplay makes some money with FOPOS and BGDA2 et al, they may be in the mood to deal some of their intellectual property, and license out PC material. Whether OE can afford right now, who knows. In the future, definitely they will.

This isn't to give Herve Caen a cupcake, mind you. He royally screwed things up. Just a bit of business reality and perhaps a ray of hope.