Weekend Programmer

I dunno, when I first heard about this project I thought "wow, I wish I was working on it" But then I thought , No I really dont, because it would ruin it for me when I finally got my copy of TSL, anyone agree?

i agree. one reason is that u know everything that happens in the game and there are no surprises or anything. B)

its simple really first help make the game then find out the truth about aliens and ufos and the government will have your memories wiped clean including your memories of kotor 2 spoilers and voila thats what i did for kotor 1 about 10x in a row (i kept a record) unfortunately every new game i wanted to experience it on lightside seeing as i had no memory of previously playing so on my 11th play i kept my memories and then replayed at on darkside for about 10x wiping out my mind each play till the last. So basically i've played this game for about 20x but i on ly have a memory of playin it twice

So, when is Obsidian supposed to be done with its part?

Not going to say. But when I stop working weekends, you can bet we're done with our part. :)

Great thread, BTW.  Thank you for taking time to answer the salivating fans questions.

You're welcome. :) During the normal work week I don't have time to do this because I'm usually talking with other devs while waiting on compiles. But I'm glad I've had the time to talk with so many of you this weekend.

-Akari

Thanks for answering my previous question, and thank you Archmonarch for putting it here :)

Here's another

Will jedi party-members faces become more 'evil' looking as they fall to the darkside, or is this still unique to the player character?

Also will we be able to steal and equip items (masks/armour etc) we take from defeated sith lords? for instance will we be able to wear the skull-mask of the sith lord in all the artwork?

Is there an HK chip in the ship?

You sure like your HK chips, don't you. I don't believe the ship will have one installed. :)

-Akari

When Avellone said "one form or another" I just got kind of speculative.... :)

when will we get to see pics of some of the lightsaber colors like silver/white?

I think that's LA decision...

one more question. Is your job fun and rewarding or hard tedious and frustrating or do you just do it for the money. and is the pay well?woohooo i'm rich ok? or barely enough to afford a burgerking dollar menu meal?

Akari and co. get their pay through whip lashes...right Akari?

Is there an HK chip in the ship?

You sure like your HK chips, don't you. I don't believe the ship will have one installed. :)

-Akari

When Avellone said "one form or another" I just got kind of speculative.... :)

when will we get to see pics of some of the lightsaber colors like silver/white?

I think that's LA decision...

one more question. Is your job fun and rewarding or hard tedious and frustrating or do you just do it for the money. and is the pay well?woohooo i'm rich ok? or barely enough to afford a burgerking dollar menu meal?

Akari and co. get their pay through whip lashes...right Akari?

thanx old skool B)

the force is what gives a jedi his power. its an energy field created by all living things. it surrounds us and penetrates us. it binds the galaxy together

thanx old skool B)

Your welcome.... :)

Sorry if I'm wrong though....

maybe akari could enlighten us B)

the force is what gives a jedi his power. its an energy field created by all living things. it surrounds us and penetrates us. it binds the galaxy together

I'm asking too many questions you can't answer, Akari.

Here's one you should be able to:

What's your background & how did you land your position in Obsidian working on this project? Tell us a little about yourself.

EDIT: Oops, this was already asked. Please disregard, unless you wish to expand on what you've already said.

so akari what are you doing right now?

and also could you answer some of theses questions

1: How did revan get his robes

2: How did revan find out about the starforge

3: And will yuo be able to wear Darth Malaks robes? the one he wore on the dantooine dream i mean.

4: And finally when a enemy is wearing armor or sith robes will it look exactly the same on you? cause i was a little annoyed when I would kill a sith master that was wearing the armor and take it off his dead body don it only to have it look exactly like the sith apprentice robe and I hope darthrevans robes comes with the cape cause its just not the same with out it

oh and finally i would like to know more about you akari. How old are you how'd you find work at obsidian. when did you realize you wanted to b e a dev and what starting programs did you use u know like gamemaker or rpgmaker or something like that

so akari what are you doing right now?

Right now I was fixing some bugs with the equip screen and weapon swapping stuff. Exciting, I know. :)

1: How did revan get his robes

2: How did revan find out about the starforge

3: And will yuo be able to wear Darth Malaks robes? the one he wore on the dantooine dream i mean.

I don't really know the answers to any of those.

4: And finally when a enemy is wearing armor or sith robes will it look exactly the same on you? cause i was a little annoyed when I would kill a sith master that was wearing the armor and take it off his dead body don it only to have it look exactly like the sith apprentice robe and I hope darthrevans robes comes with the cape cause its just not the same with out it

Sorry to disappoint, but I don't really know if there's any change in this. There's probably all kinds of technical reasons why that happens, but I don't know off the top off my head.

oh and finally i would like to know more about you akari. How old are you how'd you find work at obsidian. when did you realize you wanted to b e a dev and what starting programs did you use u know like gamemaker or rpgmaker or something like that

I'm in my mid-to-late twenties.

I was hired by Chris Jones as a Junior Programmer for the Jefferson Project at Black Isle. I then went on to work on the Van Buren project. I moved over to Obsidian October of last year when there was room for a Junior Programmer here and was among the first employees of the company (i.e., not one of the 5 owners). I can't remember if I was the second or third programmer aboard. I've been here ever since, obviously, and am no longer a Junior Programmer.

I had always wanted to make games for a living, but I didn't really believe that I would actually ever do so when I was growing up. So I went to Medical School instead, thinking I'd just go for what was a safe, practical job. Somewhere along the way I realized 8 years of Biology wasn't my thing and I switched to computer science. I still never thought I'd be a game programmer until my last year or so of college when I decided that if anyone can be a game programmer, I can too. Thus began my year long process of sending out resumes and letters. :)

My early programming, outside of college courses, was on MUCK code. MUCKs are highly customizable but generally smaller MUDs, if you're familiar with those. It was the fact that I headed up my own open source project that got my resume looked at, at Black Isle, which got me an interview.

That should be enough to answer that. :)

-Akari

What's your background & how did you land your position in Obsidian working on this project?  Tell us a little about yourself.

No dont waste time with that (not to say that i dont care) we want to here new stuff about TSL. Like any further info about the guy in the gold/silver amour. :)

Please?

Another great idea by the people who brought you beer milkshakes!

"I don't see a problem...then again, SW isn't my life, so what do I know...." - some who makes 27.8 post per day on a SW forum!

What can you turn off in the HUD?

Right now there's nothing you can specifically turn off in the HUD. On the X-Box, the action bar and party character portraits will fade out over time if you're not doing any actions or focusing on any object at the moment.

-Akari

What's your background & how did you land your position in Obsidian working on this project?  Tell us a little about yourself.

No dont waste time with that (not to say that i dont care) we want to here new stuff about TSL. Like any further info about the guy in the gold/silver amour. ;)

Akari beat you to it... :)

Will there be more than one apprentice per gender?

What's your background & how did you land your position in Obsidian working on this project?

What's your background & how did you land your position in Obsidian working on this project?

"I don't see a problem...then again, SW isn't my life, so what do I know...." - some who makes 27.8 post per day on a SW forum!

What can you turn off in the HUD?

Right now there's nothing you can specifically turn off in the HUD. On the X-Box, the action bar and party character portraits will fade out over time if you're not doing any actions or focusing on any object at the moment.

-Akari

Can you turn off the icons for the status summary?

Just to "double clear up", Kreia was never afull jedi, but was kicked out of the order, correct?

Is how the "love story" went in Kotor something you will be able to dictate to the game in K2?

I don't know the answer to either of those.

Can you tell us a joinable NPC that will not be returning at all in K2?

I don't really know the answer to this either. I know who won't be JOINING you at any point in K2 from K2 (like, say, *whisper*Juhani*/whisper*), but I don't know who or who is not making a cameo appearance. I do know a couple that are in the game somewhere, but I don't know specifically who isn't.

How many bottles of water does Morgan really have?

I shall go investigate...

*walks over to Morgan's office*

I see only one water bottle in near proximity to his desk. So if he claims to have a substantial number, then he's either making that up or he's got the stash well hidden.

-Akari

thanks akari from what you have just told me then my chances of becoming a video game designer are very high. Why because i actually want to be a video game designer and i'm learning GML language and soon hopefully by the time i'm 16 will know c+ or delphi. Oh one more question. K are you married and is she a beautiful actress? I'm only asking cause i wanna know if girls dig the video game geek thing and wanna know my chances of getting married to per say Natalie Portman. shes so beautiful ;)

Akari, in this thread u mentioned that the Gold/silver amoured fellow was a party member. Do u have any other info about him for us ?

No other info I can give out about that character at this time. That's press release material. :)

Also what about hoods? Will there be an option to have them up or down? (I can't rember if this has been answered or not, if it has please remind me what the answer was) :)

To be perfectly honest with everyone, right now it looks like the option to toggle the possition of your hoods will not make it in. I won't bore you with the technical reasons right now. I know this is something a lot of people were wanting. Sorry. ;)

-Akari

sorry couldnt hepl myself :D so tell us more of Kotor 2 like can you uild you own droid? or can you upgrade hk 47 again? and lastly can you tell us what kind of personality Atris and Kreia are going to have and is your PC uberpowerful in the force like revan or just some avergae force adept who happens to be the last of them all

*looks at bottom of page* wow 20 users viewing jeez Akari your pretty popular with the crowd B)

Akari, in this thread u mentioned that the Gold/silver amoured fellow was a party member. Do u have any other info about him for us ?

No other info I can give out about that character at this time. That's press release material. :)

Also what about hoods? Will there be an option to have them up or down? (I can't rember if this has been answered or not, if it has please remind me what the answer was) :)

To be perfectly honest with everyone, right now it looks like the option to toggle the possition of your hoods will not make it in. I won't bore you with the technical reasons right now. I know this is something a lot of people were wanting. Sorry. ;)

-Akari

Thanks anyway!

And i guess most of us r glad u gave up on being a doctor. ;)

To be perfectly honest with everyone, right now it looks like the option to toggle the possition of your hoods will not make it in. I won't bore you with the technical reasons right now. I know this is something a lot of people were wanting. Sorry.

Would that mean there are no robes with hoods? Or simply some will and some won't? With no option to change it other then to change robes?