Should Obsidians new game not suck?

Karzak

Should Obsidians new game not suck?  

33 members have voted

1. 1. Should Obsidians new game not suck?

• Yes?
    • No?
    • Huh?

Leaving before the game shipped isn't the same as leaving before it is developed, is it?

No, it isn't but it may mean the game would be different than if they stayed if they had much involvement which I don't think they did.

It also may mean that they chose to make that game sucky by bailing on it.

Let's keep the T&A in FanTAsy

***Posting delayed, user on moderator review***

Why Bio Why?

Leaving before the game shipped isn't the same as leaving before it is developed, is it?

No, it isn't but it may mean the game would be different than if they stayed if they had much involvement which I don't think they did.

It also may mean that they chose to make that game sucky by bailing on it.

Or maybe the game sucked because Molitor and Caen and other upper level Interplay management wanted to release the game and wanted it that way. Or maybe becaue Eric Dallaire at Reflexive was happy with it. Maybe the game was rushed to release for the combination of these factors. I think Interplay's terrible management created more issues for Black Isle than you are acknowledging.

Or maybe the game sucked because Molitor and Caen and other upper level Interplay management wanted to release the game and wanted it that way. Or maybe becaue Eric Dallaire at Reflexive was happy with it. Maybe the game was rushed to release for the combination of these factors. I think Interplay's terrible management created more issues for Black Isle than you are acknowledging.

Perhaps, but certain people didn't help that by jumping ship, did they?

As I said earlier, it is up to the developer to fight the publisher if the game is still at a sucky stage, and to fight the pressure to make the game sucky.

No one else can do it.

Why Bio Why?

Personally I think we should make sucky games. I'm an inherently lazy bastard and making sucky games is a hell of a lot easier then making good games.

:)

I agree, it takes a truly honest man to admit it.

So how long until I am banned Feargus?

Why Bio Why?

Nope, not when old grudges are allowed to be carried over from old boards.

Anyway, I do wish you the best, I need some good games in the future.

Why Bio Why?

Maybe if I could publicly analyze fionas PM, or the warning I got for the moderator poll.

It is clear that my time here is fleeting. There is no reason to not be melodramatic in these circumstances.

Why Bio Why?

Yes there is, not to get banned.

Send them to The Guildmaster, and tell him/her about your past(assuming there is one). Whining and moaning about it is not "teh intel-u-jhunt"

Already tried guildmaster, he kicked it back to one of the mods, who made it clear by his actions that even though he thought fionas warning was questionable, that it wouldn't be recended.

Clearly I have no place here. The best I can do is give them a reason before I invest any time into this board.

Why Bio Why?

I should make it clear that Reflexive Studios are not on 'friendly terms' with Molitor and Caen these days, for failing to pay them. Yeah, you could say that they 'didn't deserve to get paid for making a bad game' but that'd be besides the point that Interplay contracted them to make Lionheart in the first place. I can't entirely speak for Eric but I don't think that any writer would be proud to get their name on a game most people consider as 'hazardous waste'.

To the point, It was a combination of factors including IPLY's marketing department's constant meddling with the product as well as the changing of the original name (which I am not able to release on a public forum), the focus of a turn-based system such as SPECIAL in real time and its transition to real time in only a matter of months, the rushed state and Ion's and Lars's perpetual hard-on for wanting to make a Diablo-like action game.

It should be noted that an actual 2/3rds of the game was left in an unfinished state. The original writing had been planned to span through the entire game, not limited to only Barcelona. Most of it was not laid out properly hence the imbalanced distribution of quests in the earlier part and the abundance of monsters in the later parts. The reason for this is because Molitor cut funding mid-development. I'd have probably done the same thing they did given the circumstances.

Exitium

RPG Codex - the premier avant garde gaming news site.

"It is more convenient to follow one's conscience than one's intelligence, for at every failure, conscience finds an excuse and an encouragement in itself. That is why there are so many conscientious and so few intelligent people." - Nietzsche