How about making KOTOR2 work with ATI cards?

This is a suggestion that is, well, stupidly obvious. But I haven't seen it here, so here goes:

I suggest that Obsidian Entertainment actually make the game work with ATI cards. KOTOR has been out about 8 months now, and still everyone who owns an ATI card is screwed. You either put up with constant crashes, disable graphical features to get only almost constant crashes, or use crappy ancient drivers that make every other 3d game you own run WORSE.

Frankly, it is kind of stupid that folks are able to run much more advanced 3d games like Far Cry and un-optimized Alpha leaks of Doom 3 on ATI Radeon hardware without any trouble, but the relatively primitive KOTOR engine pukes whenever a new area loads.

I don't know if Bioware or ATI, or both, are to blame, but for about half the PC owners to be screwed because they can't sort out some bug for over half a year is nuts. My suspicion is that alot of pissed off ATI owners aren't apt to buy KOTOR2 unless they have a reason to belive that it won't roll over and die just because they have a fast Radeon card.

http://swforums.bioware.com/viewforum.html?forum=80

See all the "my PC crashes when loading levels" topics for details. Everybody with an ATI card that doesn't roll back to old drivers (that screw up every other piece of 3d softare...) is hosed when trying to play KOTOR. Conversely, the cards in question run everything BUT KOTOR just fine. I'm suggesting that KOTOR actually work with, you know, the graphics cards that half the people own.

Basically, Bioware has blown the problem off. Since it affects a large proportion of the potential buyers of KOTOR2, I'm hoping Obsidian doesn't do the same.

Being an nVidia person, I can empathize with you on this issue, however, I can't go so far as sympathize. Unfortunately, just about every game out there runs better on one card versus the other. Most of the time it's the nVidia people who have to wait for patches and driver fixes to play the games to their fullest. Why, then, do I use nVida? I just do...it's what I've used for a long time. Besides, they almost always seem to come up with an update in a reasonable amount of time that fixes whatever issues were hurting the game environment.

Unfortunately, I don't think this is an issue that the devs have much of a control over, since the card makers are constantly trying to improve the overall functionality of their products. If the devs stopped and regrouped at every driver change they'd never get the games done. I could be wrong, and it could be a very simple issue to work with, but I don't design games, so what the heck do I know...

:blink:

Dont worry guys when KOTOR 2 comes out ATI would have already released its latst trump card, the ATI Radeon X800 XT. possibly the most powerfull graphics card on the earth, it would crush nVIDIA's GeForce FX 6800 Ultra and would run KOTOR 2 like no other crad out there, the drivers will be stable and everything will be TIP TOP

AFAIK, the crashing issue only started in the 4.6 drivers (where they fixed the problem that caused lag in the Dantooine areas). 4.7 still crashes on level load but AFAICT somewhat less than 4.6. Anyway, unless the engine is doing something it shouldn't be it looks like it's ATI's problem. They'll deal with it. ;)

They do at least seem to be committed to producing good drivers, even if they seem to still miss the mark more often than NVIDIA do.

I don't believe the X800 XT "crushes" the 6800 Ultra, AFAICT from the benchmarks ATI's new card is usually a bit faster but not much. Both look sensational compared to my 9800 Pro, but I'll leave upgrading until I find a game that really bogs it down, these things are expensive ;) And if you want "crushes", look for the NVIDIA SLI dual-card solutions, but prepare for a re-mortgage...

ATI makes unstable junk.  NVIDIA is the only way to go.

Amen to that.

nVidia is probably the best maker of cards right now, I'd have to say. I've never had crashes or stutterings like I had on my old computer, or on my (shudder) mac. If you don't use your computer as a gaming computer first, and a work computer second, maybe ATI is the way to go? ;)

Fnord.

We're aware of at least some of the ATI crashing problems and are trying to work with ATI to get these resolved. They seem to be driver issues, as best we have been able to determine on our end and we are corresponding with ATI to try to get them fixed. We've found that ATI drivers from last November, when KotOR1 came out, don't seem to have nearly as many problems. Anyway, that's all I can say on this. We're doing what we can.

-Akari

Nvidia hardware wise blows compared to ATI. They have better drivers though. There are no ATI problems, I can play with Soft shadows, AA, Anitrosphic filtering and all the bells and whistles I am not getting any problems KOTOR rarely crashes for me. I running a OEM 9600 PRO.

"For ourselves, we shall not trouble you with specious pretences- either of how we have a right to our empire because we overthrew the Mede, or are now attacking you because of wrong that you have done us- and make a long speech which would not be believed; and in return we hope that you, instead of thinking to influence us by saying that you did not join the Lacedaemonians, although their colonists, or that you have done us no wrong, will aim at what is feasible, holding in view the real sentiments of us both; since you know as well as we do that right, as the world goes, is only in question between equals in power, while the strong do what they can and the weak suffer what they must."

Dont worry guys when KOTOR 2 comes out ATI would have already released its latst trump card, the ATI Radeon X800 XT. possibly the most powerfull graphics card on the earth, it would crush nVIDIA's GeForce FX 6800 Ultra and would run KOTOR 2 like no other crad out there, the drivers will be stable and everything will be TIP TOP

BLAH BLAH BLAH. We have heard this before from ATI. Sure they make impressive cards but that mean **** if the software is poorly coded. They constantly have driver issues and that will not all of a sudden change with a new card. I will stick with a company that has rpoven to have done right and proven to make stable drivers.

ATI can rot in hell.

BLAH BLAH BLAH. We have heard this before from ATI. Sure they make impressive cards but that mean **** if the software is poorly coded. They constantly have driver issues and that will not all of a sudden change with a new card. I will stick with a company that has rpoven to have done right and proven to make stable drivers.

ATI can rot in hell.

For once you make a sensible post.

Death to ATI! Long live nVidia! :D

Yeah, until the next wave of cards comes out.

Personally, I've no plans to drop $500.00 plus on the latest from either card company. I can run KoTOR I on my GeForce FX 5600 Ultra with the settings maxed without a hitch. I can run FarCry beefed as well. Would I like to have the latest? Sure, but I have bills to pay...and I like to eat, too...and the kids won't stop growing....

As somebody who loves how my Radeon 9800 Pro performs with EVERYTHING I can throw at it that isn't KOTOR (and KOTOR runs fast, it just crashes at random on area transitions...), this guy is just a chucklehead ATI fanboy.

As for x800 XT vs. 6800 GT... the 6800 GT actually out-performs the x800 XT in Far Cry in many areas because it has SM 3.0. The 6800 GT in particular kicks ass for the price. Since Far Cry is the most graphically intensive thing out there right now, that should tell you something.

Of course, Far Cry also runs great on Radeon 9800 Pros... but KOTOR pukes? Hmm... :rolleyes:

Appearently u havent read anything because it's the other way around, ATI outperforms nVIDIA in FarCry, it says so in almost every PC Gaming magazine i am subscribed to. And also appearently you are the regular American mind controlled fool because all u see is the nVIDIA logo on the back of almost every game. I just wish nVIDIA would spend more money on improoving their super crapppy chipset than on paying developers for their crappy ass logo.

This is a suggestion that is, well, stupidly obvious.  But I haven't seen it here, so here goes:

I suggest that Obsidian Entertainment actually make the game work with ATI cards.  KOTOR has been out about 8 months now, and still everyone who owns an ATI card is screwed.  You either put up with constant crashes, disable graphical features to get only almost constant crashes, or use crappy ancient drivers that make every other 3d game you own run WORSE.

Frankly, it is kind of stupid that folks are able to run much more advanced 3d games like Far Cry and un-optimized Alpha leaks of Doom 3 on ATI Radeon hardware without any trouble, but the relatively primitive KOTOR engine pukes whenever a new area loads.

I don't know if Bioware or ATI, or both, are to blame, but for about half the PC owners to be screwed because they can't sort out some bug for over half a year is nuts.  My suspicion is that alot of pissed off ATI owners aren't apt to buy KOTOR2 unless they have a reason to belive that it won't roll over and die just because they have a fast Radeon card.

I have played the game on a 9800 Pro and an 8500....it ran fine on the 9800 Pro (My CPU is the bottleneck), and it ran ok on the 8500 with disabling some stuff.

Furthermore, I have played the game 5 times, and have crashed on only two level transitions.

Appearently u havent read anything because it's the other way around, ATI outperforms nVIDIA in FarCry, it says so in almost every PC Gaming magazine i am subscribed to. And also appearently you are the regular American mind controlled fool because all u see is the nVIDIA logo on the back of almost every game. I just wish nVIDIA would spend more money on improoving their super crapppy chipset than on paying developers for their crappy ass logo.

You obviously aren't up on your Far Cry developments. ;)

http://www20.graphics.tomshardware.com/gra...0705/index.html

ATI destroys nVidia and has since the 9700 came out. Ever since ATI unified their drivers into the Catalyst series they have been fine. NVidia's cards are overpriced and they under-perform. NVidia's drivers are good but they're used mostly to fluff up benchmark scores for nVidia's cards.

Anyways back on topic. I ran KotOR just fine on an ATI card and I have a friend who ran it just fine on an ATI card. It never crashed on me.

As somebody who loves how my Radeon 9800 Pro performs with EVERYTHING I can throw at it that isn't KOTOR (and KOTOR runs fast, it just crashes at random on area transitions...), this guy is just a chucklehead ATI fanboy.

As for x800 XT vs. 6800 GT... the 6800 GT actually out-performs the x800 XT in Far Cry in many areas because it has SM 3.0. The 6800 GT in particular kicks ass for the price. Since Far Cry is the most graphically intensive thing out there right now, that should tell you something.

Of course, Far Cry also runs great on Radeon 9800 Pros... but KOTOR pukes? Hmm... :lol:

Seriously. I just upgraded to a 9800 Pro and have the latest drivers and have no problems running the game.