What game element is most important to you?

What do u hope KOTOR 2/ Game X will be famous for?  

14 members have voted

1. 1. What do u hope KOTOR 2/ Game X will be famous for?

• AI Graphics Sound Weapons World Environments Single player Multiplayer? Storyline Quests/Side quests Dialogue Fighting system

If Fallout and Final Fantasy VII hadn't been so well received in the first place, though, would people have stopped to dissect them so much to see just what it was that made them so good?

Well, I can't give any specific titles here, but I bet that there are hundreds of games out there that totally suck, but have (for example) a very well made graphic engine, or a good storyline, or music (at this moment the title Dementia came to my mind), and most of the time people would notice that in spite of the fact that the game itself as a whole is awfull - especially with the graphics, people tend to notice this one very early, even as early as upon viewing some screenshots, and I'm quite sure that people will say "woah, this game has excellent graphics, I wonder if the gameplay/music/etc. will be as good". And there is nothing bad in that.

I agree with the rest of your post.

Well, I can't give any specific titles here, but I bet that there are hundreds of games out there that totally suck, but have (for example) a very well made graphic engine, or a good storyline, or music (at this moment the title Dementia came to my mind), and most of the time people would notice that in spite of the fact that the game itself as a whole is awfull - especially with the graphics, people tend to notice this one very early, even as early as upon viewing some screenshots, and I'm quite sure that people will say "woah, this game has excellent graphics, I wonder if the gameplay/music/etc. will be as good". And there is nothing bad in that.

I agree with the rest of your post.

Nope... nothing wrong with that at all, but how many of those games that suck end up being famous for ... anything? People might have noticed that the graphics engine's good in a lousy game while they're playing it, but if the game itself is forgotten before the hard drive stops spinning, I don't think famous is really the right term to use for it.

I don't have any stats on this sort of thing either, but a game's got to be at the very least memorable before it can become famous, and memorable usually implies that it does something (or everything) really, really well... greatly, even. Or really really badly, but I'm not wishing that on Obsidian. ;) For it to become famous for that element, though, people (enough people, as well) have to remember it long after it's become obsolete; games that you go through and then use as coasters don't get remembered unless people are really bitter about the way they turned out. Planescape: Torment is famous too... I a couple ways, I think. For those who played it, it's famous for it's incredible characters (sweet, sweet Ravel...), philosophical plot and unorthodox roleplaying. For the majority of gameplayers, though, I think it's also famous as an example of a critically acclaimed game that no one bought.

Oh, and stop agreeing with me, damnit! Everyone knows that internet discussions like this are supposed to be ill-tempered and eventually end with flames flying everywhere, and one or both parties getting a warning, if not banned outright. It's like you've never been on a message board before... :D

Many things, but a great story is also a must. After playing ToEE I forgot how important a story is to keep me interested in playing. There was no desire to keep playing in ToEE because there was no story pulling you along.

Life is like a clam. Years of filtering crap then some bastard cracks you open and scrapes you into its damned mouth, end of story.

- Steven Erikson

a good story involving some sort of brothel

Lois: Honey, what do you say we uh...christen these new sheets, huh?

Peter: Why Lois Griffin, you naughty girl.

Lois: Hehehe...that's me.

Peter: You dirty hustler.

Lois: Hehehehe...

Peter: You filthy, stinky prostitute.

Lois: Aha, ok I get it...

Peter: You foul, venereal disease carrying, street walking whore.

Lois: Alright, that's enough!