RPG Game I Haven't Played...Shoud I?

Grandpa

...everyone that plays it thinks it's substandard or has some very negative comments to add to the fray.

taks

:unsure:

Did you just read the first part of my post?

"When is this out. I can't wait to play it so I can talk at length about how bad it is." - Gorgon.

As long as the ES series have flat and bring characters who speak like robots in their dialogue, non existent stories, bugs up the wazoo, unbalanced combat that is just too easy as well as being boring, the ability to "train' by jumping up in one spot, 800 caves that look the same, 1st person view or 3rd person pseudo view that sucks; the games will continue to be awful.

Not all the dialogue is bad. The world is just so huge that it would be difficult to have lengthy dialogue with every single character in the game. Many mods and plug-ins add more NPCs and dialogue though.

Morrowind has a plot. Characters do have back-story, and the world has history to it.

Combat is not unbalanced. Creatures have poor AI, but once again this was addressed in patches and plug-ins to make the game more challenging. If you like more challenge, I've seen certain plugins (like Children of the Night) that make combat much more difficult.

Leveling up is dependent on what skills are primary for your character. So, in one sense "jumping" all day could level you up a bit if that was a primary skill. But that wouldn't make your character good in combat. And jumping all day long doesn't level you up quickly either.

The world looks great to me. And many textures add-ins make it even better. I really like the plug-in that adds seasons.

Morrowind has certain strengths that no one touches. I've also never hit a bug within the game itself. Occasionally I've hit bugs of plug-ins not working with other plug-ins, but that's another story all together.

Mkrkeu, sorry, but it's part of the ES series. I don't care about the aprts just like FF Tatics is a aprt of the FF series even though it doesn't have the number. Same goes with FF X-2.

Ender, to each thier own.

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

Volourn, sorry, but you're wrong as usual.

http://redguard.bethsoft.com/ has the following quote:

"The Elder Scrolls Adventures: REDGUARD kicks off a brand new series in the award-winning world of The Elder Scrolls. Swashbuckling duels, a handcrafted 3D world and an epic story are all combined in this genre-breaking game."

http://www.bethsoft.com/games/games_battlespire.html has the following quote:

"Battlespire features the rich fantasy setting of Bethesda's award-winning Elder Scrolls

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

Mkreku, advertising does not = truth.

As for the MW community that could be true. i wouldn't know as I'm not a member of that community. Mind you, I have nothing against them either. :rolleyes:

Well, it's just that the game is so moddable that nearly everything can be changed.

Don't like the graphics? Mod's can fix that.

Don't like the combat? Mod's can fix that.

Don't like the story? Mod's can fix that.

Basically, Morrowind, being already a game in which almost anything is possible, can be changed to be even further so.

The basics of the first two can't be changed. That's just silly. If you go that far with the changes you might as well be playinga different game.

Story, you are right.

Good moddable engines allow you to drop in new textures, models and animations.

Half Life and Morrowind are two great examples of this. That's why people can make mods that look so good for both.

As far as combat goes, Half Life is so moddable, that you can completely change combat and gameplay. A Bushido mod was in the works years ago (never saw if it was finished) that took away all the guns and replaced them with katanas.

Morrowind's combat hasn't been modded that much yet, but creature AI and stats have been changed in various mods.

So those two factors can be affected in mods.

i have a friend that's big into half-life modding... uses the team fortress combat expansion... big group, actually. that reminds me, i need to contact that beeatch. he still hasn't met my son...

taks

comrade taks... just because.

The best mod I've seen for making combat more interesting is the Combat Enhanced mod. Basically it allows for attack combos and slowing down time to allow you to dodge blows and arrows, sort of like the matrix. Here's it's description off morrowind summit.

- 30 different combat combos performed using simple combinations of the basic attacks(i.e. Slash, Slash, Thrust). There are 5 combos for each of the 6 weapon types(Long Blade, Short Blade, Blunt Weapon, Axe, Spear, and Unarmed). The combos range from stat drains to knockdowns to decapitations.

- Trance: The ability to slow down time to give you a better handle on the fight and dodge attacks and arrows

- Rage: Slows time even further than Trance while increasing your own speed. Allows you to tear through a swarm of enemies in the blink of an eye. You must build up your Rage Level by performing normal combos in order to use Rage.

- Difficulty Sliders: There are currently sliders that let you increase the Health, Magicka, Strength, Agility, and Speed of all enemies in the game, so you can make things more difficult should you so choose.

Thanks, all. The debates are what really give you an eye into what a game is really like.

I ended up finding a demo for Morrowind. Not bad, I guess, but it seems to have too much of an MMORPG to me. It's like I was waiting for someone else to log onto the server.......but they never did.

I might get it, though, and play with the plug-ins. Some of the write-ups on some of the fan sites seemed like they'd be pretty interesting.

Should say for the price it is now; you might as well pick it up. Don't elt my rantings stop you. besides, it's always good to have another on my side... which you will be after you play it. LOL ;)

Not bad, I guess, but it seems to have too much of an MMORPG to me. It's like I was waiting for someone else to log onto the server.......but they never did.

Exactly. That's my biggest complaint with the game.

newlogo.gif