The Community Blog

Hello friends,

In case you have not seen the new feature for the community, it's below. I hope this thread will be used to discuss community member's blogs and explore ideas for the new adventure for our community!

240407_meme_20th_01b.thumb.jpg.bff273239f19bba6fe7f25a783eab7f3.jpgThe journey of our community has spanned two incredible decades, which was launched February 7th, 2004, and is marked by our support for Obsidian and its remarkable creative endeavours. To further accentuate the richness of our community's diversity and its connexion with Obsidian, we are excited to introduce a new feature: the Community Blog.

The primary objective of this blog is to extend an invitation to the community to pitch ideas for blogs, which will range between 500 to 800 words. These blogs will be published regularly and will provide a platform for our members to share their unique perspectives and experiences. We envision publishing a blog monthly, which will delve into the realm of gaming, specifically focusing on the individual's encounters with Obsidian's games. Moreover, we encourage exploration of the broader implications for an industry that continuously evolves, weaving together storytelling, technology, escapism, and social commentary.

If this resonates with you, we invite you to connect with Fionavar by sending them a private message with your pitch (https://forums.obsidian.net/profile/49-fionavar/)! The author for each monthly blog chosen will receive a ‘thank you’ from Obsidian for your creativity up to twice a year. As well, each writer will also have a blogging badge attached to their profile after posting.

As the Squad extends this invitation for the first blog, which is slated for publication on May 7th, we want to thank you for your support of Obsidian and its unfolding creativity. We hope this regular new feature, which will be published on the 7th of each month as content is available, will capture the community’s excitement and interest in the gaming industry. Together, let's continue to shape the narrative of our shared enthusiasm for gaming and its profound impact on our lives.

-The Mod Squad

• Like 10

The universe is change;
your life is what our thoughts make it
- Marcus Aurelius (161)

:dragon:

Hello friends,

I just want to clarify that this invitation is directed to you as members of the community. This is (y)our chance to share (y)our unique gaming experiences. We’re eagerly looking for contributors to pitch their ideas and, once approved, to craft an article that reflects your passion for gaming. Don’t worry about the editing (if that is a concern); send your draft my way, and I’ll take care of polishing it for you. As well, the blog might be a vlog, maybe even a brief podcast as outlined in the announcement. We’re excited to feature a new blog post on the 7th of each month, starting with our inaugural post on May 7th. Your feedback and discussions have been incredibly valuable, and I look forward to highlighting the community's first submission. Please do reach out as you consider this invitation here or through PM

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The universe is change;
- Marcus Aurelius (161)

but all of my passion for gaming died over a decade ago

i am just a withered husk of my former self

• Like 1
  • Gasp! 1

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

24 minutes ago, Bartimaeus said:

Mulholland Drive (2001)

I can certainly bang out a very big blog post about games but I'm not sure if it has to be Obsidian specifically.

• Gasp! 1

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

How to summarize 40 years of video gaming in a single blog post... 🤔

• Thanks 2
  • Hmmm 1

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

13 hours ago, Bartimaeus said:

"The Top 10 Reasons I left gaming and became a withered husk of my former self - number 3 will surprise you!"

8 hours ago, Gorth said:

Maybe break it into parts and pitch each part?  Nothing in Fio's post indicates you couldn't have multiple bites at the blog (cue Fio clarification).

12 hours ago, PK htiw klaw eriF said:

Mulholland Drive (2001)

I can certainly bang out a very big blog post about games but I'm not sure if it has to be Obsidian specifically.

Based on Fio's wording, I think they'd want a blog post to tie into Obsidian's games in some way.

• Thanks 2
  • Haha 3
  • Gasp! 1

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

On 4/10/2024 at 4:11 PM, PK htiw klaw eriF said:

Mulholland Drive (2001)

That would be more than fine! It is always great if it is connected with OBS but the reality is as OBS work broadens it will attract different experiences, so happy to find that balance. DM if you want to explore further

The universe is change;
- Marcus Aurelius (161)

On 4/11/2024 at 4:22 AM, Gorth said:

Gorthfuscious, you know what I would suggest?

Start at the beginning and when you get to the end then you stop :thumbsup:

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

1 hour ago, BruceVC said:

Gorthfuscious, you know what I would suggest?

Start at the beginning and when you get to the end then you stop :thumbsup:

I probably beat you to it, but it's all out of my hands at the moment 😁

• Like 2

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

23 minutes ago, Gorth said:

I probably beat you to it, but it's all out of my hands at the moment 😁

Im also going to add something. My love and passion for gaming goes back a long way even though I didnt game from about 1995-2007 

• Thanks 1

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

3 hours ago, Fionavar said:

That would be more than fine! It is always great if it is connected with OBS but the reality is as OBS work broadens it will attract different experiences, so happy to find that balance. DM if you want to explore further

Its easy to align my personal gaming experience with Obsidian games because NWN2 and PoE2 are in my top 10 games of all time 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

John Milton 

• 3 weeks later...

Hello trolls, friends, and denizens!

I am fairly excited to share that our first three community blogs are in process and the first will be pushed on May 7th, and then each of the others will be published of each following month. I look forward to sharing such wisdom and insight that is courageously offered by our community members. If you have a musing you are considering, please PM me, as it is great to have a queue of posts lined up!

• Like 1

The universe is change;
- Marcus Aurelius (161)

They are anonymous contributions, right?.... right? 😂

• Haha 1